Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elfface posted:

What is Killer Frost's origin anyway? She's one I've managed to miss in my sporadic reading/watching, so she just kinda seemed to show up. Did Frost from Mortal Kombat just end up on the wrong side of the portal when they did the crossover?

There have been three Killer Frosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

MonsterEnvy posted:

There have been three Killer Frosts.

Killers Frost

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Killer Frostopodes

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

Dr. Psycho objected to it, but if Harley hadn't made the entrance vagina-shaped, Kite Man wouldn't have been able to enter at full speed by turning sideways and would have succumbed to paralysis before he could deliver the flower. Which just goes to show... uh, I dunno. Something feminist, I guess. It's all good.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Awww, Mr. Freeze and Nora had a literal Hallmark movie style meet cute. That's so corny it wraps back around to being adorable.

It's the plot of You've Got Mail. Probably chosen because the writer/director, Nora Ephron, shares her first name with Mr. Freeze's wife.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CommissarMega posted:

Also, Ivy calling Kite-Man by his actual name is some kind of :kimchi: and I really hope they stay together.

kite man saying a borat reference to mr. freeze was perfect

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Cheese and Crackers!

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Two Inch Bee posted:

wouldn't have been able to enter at full speed by turning sideways and would have succumbed to paralysis before he could deliver the flower.
That's what she said ... ?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

From what I understand, New 52 Freeze is obsessed with some woman who was cryogenically frozen years before he was even born and behaves as though she's his wife.

it gets worse

nu 52 freeze also worked for wayne enterprises, and it's bruce wayne himself that shuts freeze's project down. Freeze throws a chair in a fit of rage, Wayne dodges it, the resulting cryogenic leak is what causes him to become the Mr. Freeze What Wears The Suit

so not only is his backstory dumb but also he's yet one more villain directly caused by Bruce Wayne and/or Batman personally, adding basically nothing for no real reason

I did not like the New 52

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Many people did not. Glad they undid a lot of the bad changes for the sake of change.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Cheese and Crackers!

One of the writers on this show must have a thing against mice.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lunatic Sledge posted:

it gets worse

nu 52 freeze also worked for wayne enterprises, and it's bruce wayne himself that shuts freeze's project down. Freeze throws a chair in a fit of rage, Wayne dodges it, the resulting cryogenic leak is what causes him to become the Mr. Freeze What Wears The Suit

so not only is his backstory dumb but also he's yet one more villain directly caused by Bruce Wayne and/or Batman personally, adding basically nothing for no real reason

That's so stupid that it's actually amazingly hilarious. That's the dumbest villain orgin story I've ever heard and I love it. The writers probably tried to play it straight, but they absolutely should have written it as a parody:

Mr. Freeze: I got pissed and threw a chair at Bruce Wayne, but I missed and accidentally broke open vat of chemicals which spilled on me and turned me into an ice man. Now I've dedicated my life to revenge!

Everyone else: okay, but it sounds like that situation was your fault because you overreacted to-

Mr. Freeze: REVENGE!!!

Seriously, "threw a chair at a dude, but hosed it up so bad I became a super villain" is the like the perfect spoof of tragic hero created villainous origin stories.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
leaning into it would actually rule yeah

like, a dude shoots superman, the bullet bounces off his chest and hits a radioactive container; REVENGE ensues

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
alternatively, I just thought of a sweet AU where Bruce Wayne personally shuts down the ecto-containment grid, leading to Batman having to fight possessed Ghostbusters

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lunatic Sledge posted:

alternatively, I just thought of a sweet AU where Bruce Wayne personally shuts down the ecto-containment grid, leading to Batman having to fight possessed Ghostbusters

Now I want an entire series of AU stories collectively titled "Thanks Wayne" were Bruce keeps accidentally turning heroes into villains in increasingly preposterous ways and ends up having to fight them as Batman.

Edit: In the final chapter Batman time travels into the past and accidentally kills his own parents and has to fight Batman.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 26, 2020

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
How loving hard did he throw that chair

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Blaise330 posted:

How loving hard did he throw that chair

Not very hard, but the vat containing the chemicals was the cheapest available and that's why it broke so easily. He couldn't afford to buy a better one because he blew most of the budget for his project on indestructible chairs (which was why Bruce Wayne was firing him).

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...
Fun ep! I really liked this version of mr. Freeze, but would also accept if his death was a stealth origin for the Harleyverse Killer Frost. In fact, I find this alt universe a fresh take on DCs characters, and I hope there will other shows spun off from HQ.

That said, I'm almost certain that something unpleasant will happen to Chuck/Kite-Man. After all, he and Ivy get along really well, as does Harley and the rest of the crew. And I'm also certain that these writers will not go the low road of making Harls a predatory, man-hating lesbo who manages to break up I&C, nor will Chuck suddenly turn into some kind of jealous, wife-beating rear end in a top hat.

So tragedy it is. I just don't see Ivy and Harls hooking up as the situation stands right now, it would ring very false to their characters as they are defined in this show. IMO, YMMV, etc.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

it gets worse

Reminds me of The Batman. Except The Batman was just basing him off of Ye Olde Freeze, where he was just an ice-themed criminal and didn't have a wife.

Also, The Batman's version didn't sound incredibly stupid considering it was just Joker's backstory, only with Mr. Freeze and a cryogenics lab.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I felt the ending bit with Kite-Man was a bit iffy as Ivy had said everything that Kite-Man said about the venue not being super-important. (with Ivy saying "It doesn't matter as long as we're together, but I'll support you as the corn-factory is important to you." and Kite-Man saying, basically "The venue doesn't matter, as long as we're together" but with no "as you said, earlier" - hits me as one of those thing we're women complain about saying something, being ignored, and then a dude says it and gets accolades or whatever)

Plus there seems to be a whole thing of people involved with the show pointing to a Harley-Ivy coupling - but it's shown Kite-Man as being terrible at accepting failure, I think we've seen him moping in his apartment twice now. Unless he can finally grow (he has a little) it'll probably end with him being bumped off, 'cause I hope the show doesn't push Chuck to being bitter about it.

Unless there's some sort of semi-open relationship going on, where Ivy is seen as being with both Chuck and Harley, but Chuck and Harley aren't an item.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Having read up on the three Killer Frostses, their origins are silly enough to fit right in with Chair-Freeze, but only when taken together.

The original got stuck in a thermodynamic chamber at an arctic research base, and instead of dying got powers, like an ice-based Doctor Manhattan.

After her death, a friend decided to avenge her and so purposely put herself into the same chamber.

The third is unrelated to the first two, but when villains took over the arctic base, they shut her in the chamber to kill her and make it look like an accident.

At this point, it's a Killer Frost Making Machine that also happens to have some other science uses.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
imagine how pissed you'd be if a loved one fell in the Killer Frost machine and actually died

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Frost is interesting. And we currently have two versions running around. The Caitlyn Snow version who is a more sympathetic version who is currently becoming a hero. The other is Louise Lincoln the second one, who is just a sociopath who enjoys murder. Heck even the DCAU when it introduced Lincoln Killer Frost, it stated her sole motivation for joining the villain team was that she wanted to kill people.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the CW Flash take with the Jeckyll and Hyde thing, I thought that was interesting.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Swollen Member posted:

That said, I'm almost certain that something unpleasant will happen to Chuck/Kite-Man.

If they don't go down the polyamorous route, then my fanfiction theory is that the Parademons we saw from the S2 trailer might cart Chuck off to Apokolips for ~*~*reasons*~*~, which makes Harley and Ivy get together as they team up to save him, only to find out that he's hooked up with Big Barda or someone (not too familiar with New Gods, sorry) while leading the resistance or something.

Because you know drat well that in this continuity Kite-Man has the stones to go up against Darkseid :black101:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Current Frost's powers also makes her a thermal vampire, though I forget when this became established and became the new reason she was a nemesis of Firestorm since he was effectively a walking endless buffet. Last she was left in the comics, she was recruited into the JLA (a separate team from the Justice League) and started up a relationship with Ryan Choi who helped her overcome her worries that she'd accidentally kill people with her powers. That team also had Lobo on it and lasted little more than an irl year before being canceled.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
At some point I became obsessed with Harley Quinn and this show is exactly my jam. Every time Harley realizes how badly Joker treated her it breaks my heart, and thats loving impressive for a cartoon with poop jokes and ultraviolence.

Also, I know everyone is thirsty for Harley and Ivy to get together, but their friendship is so loving amazing and I just want to watch Harley do something, have Ivy get embarrassed, and Ivy to say "I told you so" forever.

Also, thank you to whomever pointed out the Harleen comic. I was never really into comics, only really buying a few of the big batman books after playing and loving arkham asylum. Harleen is a loving masterpiece and I hope it becomes the canon origin story, similar to how Year One/Killing Joke/The Dark Knight became the go-to comics for Batman.

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 26, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the reversal in Gotham where Nora hasn't been frozen yet because Victor is still trying to figure out the cryogenic thing. He finally figures out how to prevent her cells being destroyed by the freezing process of his freeze gun, and just as he's about to use the new formula on her she finds out about his criminal activities and realises just how badly he's falling apart. Feeling responsible and not wanting to be the reason her husband went crazy, she tricks him into leaving the room and swaps the capsule in the gun for the old formula, effectively committing suicide by husband. I thought it was interesting because it gave her a bit of agency in her situation. She made that decision.

Gotham also joked about how to pronounce his last name, was it like "freeze" or "fries" (as in French fries)

Although the best Gotham Mr Freeze moment was when he went to re-freeze the Riddler after he escaped. "So, you want the same pose or something new?"

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Lechtansi posted:

Also, I know everyone is thirsty for Harley and Ivy to get together, but their friendship is so loving amazing and I just want to watch Harley do something, have Ivy get embarrassed, and Ivy to say "I told you so" forever.

I also really enjoy the depiction of their friendship, but I can understand the people who want them to have a romantic relationship.
I don't think they're mutually exclusive and can't really see an argument against it, even if I'm personally indifferent to the idea.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

itry posted:

I also really enjoy the depiction of their friendship, but I can understand the people who want them to have a romantic relationship.
I don't think they're mutually exclusive and can't really see an argument against it, even if I'm personally indifferent to the idea.

The ivy/Harley romance was based off one episode of BTAS where the characters and actors played phenomenally off each other against Harley's abusive boyfriend and it just kind of got sapphic from there I guess!

Also the "It doesn't work on me :smug:" scene was incredible

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

The ivy/Harley romance was based off one episode of BTAS where the characters and actors played phenomenally off each other against Harley's abusive boyfriend and it just kind of got sapphic from there I guess!

I think there was a BTAS comic that also leaned into it with Batgirl asking Harley if she and Ivy were a thing and Harley responds with "Like people think with you and Supergirl?" and Batgirl left confused as the punchline.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Xelkelvos posted:

I think there was a BTAS comic that also leaned into it with Batgirl asking Harley if she and Ivy were a thing and Harley responds with "Like people think with you and Supergirl?" and Batgirl left confused as the punchline.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Chokes McGee posted:

My favorite part is Joker getting kicked in the nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAWvgPO_s7w

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xelkelvos posted:

Current Frost's powers also makes her a thermal vampire, though I forget when this became established and became the new reason she was a nemesis of Firestorm since he was effectively a walking endless buffet. Last she was left in the comics, she was recruited into the JLA (a separate team from the Justice League) and started up a relationship with Ryan Choi who helped her overcome her worries that she'd accidentally kill people with her powers. That team also had Lobo on it and lasted little more than an irl year before being canceled.

I think those changes were made in Underworld Unleashed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I always thought that was like fan art or something.

Vakal posted:

One of the writers on this show must have a thing against mice.

Someone I know works at a lab and because of Covid19 and they have to euthanize a lot of the test mice they have because there is no research going on. That scene reminded me that.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 27, 2020

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

twistedmentat posted:

I always thought that was like fan art or something.

Nah, Bruce Timm's art is pretty clearly horny and unashamed of it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

BlackIronHeart posted:

Nah, Bruce Timm's art is pretty clearly horny and unashamed of it.

His horniness gave us Harley in the first place, so god bless him.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Megazver posted:

Harley was created by Paul Dini :colbert: He based her off of his long time friend Arleen Sorkin (who provided the original voice of the character in the animated series) who had previously appeared in a jesters costume in a dream sequence on the soap opera Days of Our Lives.

And know you know some pointless trivia!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

twistedmentat posted:

Someone I know works at a lab and because of Covid19 and they have to euthanize a lot of the test mice they have because there is no research going on. That scene reminded me that.

Awww bullSHIT. I work at a lab too, and there wasn't a single question about a minimal staff in the animal labs being counted as Essential Business Continuity Staffing. You acquaintance's bosses SUCK.

e. Someone tell Ivy !

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Megazver posted:

I know some people who have seen Timm's personal sketchbooks. The stories they told.

mllaneza posted:

Awww bullSHIT. I work at a lab too, and there wasn't a single question about a minimal staff in the animal labs being counted as Essential Business Continuity Staffing. You acquaintance's bosses SUCK.

e. Someone tell Ivy !

Yea she is super pissed off about it but the University isn't paying to keep mice if they're not being used. Cheap bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Harley was created by Paul Dini :colbert: He based her off of his long time friend Arleen Sorkin (who provided the original voice of the character in the animated series) who had previously appeared in a jesters costume in a dream sequence on the soap opera Days of Our Lives.

And know you know some pointless trivia!

It should be also probably be mentioned that Paul Dini was also quite horny, he just had a really strong preference for magicians