Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Torquemada posted:

No, is the short answer. There’s nothing inherently different about those thousand or so people than anyone else. They might have it, they might not, if they wash their hands a lot and stay at home as much as they can they’re no more dangerous than anybody else, and significantly less dangerous than people who are meeting hundreds of people a day, like supermarket staff or emergency services personnel.

Self-isolation of symptomatic overseas arrivals didn't work very well here which is why we ended up with mandatory quarantine for all arrivals from overseas.

Local people who break self-isolation requirements are subject to large fines or, in extreme cases, imprisonment or ankle monitoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is everyone enjoying their monday morning anxiety

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Is it Monday?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I've just watched our idiot PM tell the nation we're turning the tide against coronovirus.

No Boris, we're not.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

I've just watched our idiot PM tell the nation we're turning the tide against coronovirus.

No Boris, we're not.

There will be more recorded uk deaths today than yesterday because of the lag over Sunday reporting.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Galewolf posted:

Is it Monday?

Honestly, does it matter?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Dell_Zincht posted:

No Boris, we're not.

Politician tells people what they want to hear, incredible. He actually said we’re at the moment of maximum risk, but beginning to turn the tide: a pretty generic ‘it’s dangerous but there’s hope’ message his speechwriter tossed off this morning .
If you’d like someone in charge like Hudson from Aliens screaming about how we’re loving doomed and it’s game over I don’t know what to tell you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm not getting paid this week and not eligible for furlough due to being a contractor so thanks for not giving a lockdown extension length

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Amphigory posted:

Is Bottle Apostle still open, do you know

Wednesday to Sunday 11-6 closed Monday and Tuesday.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

When this is (mostly) over and we're all back at work, do you think we'll feel a sense of relief or a sense of regret?

I can't wait for the lockdown to end right now but after a couple of weeks back at work I loving bet I'll be sighing and missing the heady days of full-time working from home and not having to engage with other people.

I quite like the people I work with so I’m looking forward to being back in the office having banter when we want rather than just on our morning Teams call. I’m also missing driving my car to and from work with some banging tunes on and pretending I’m James Hunt.

In other news I went for a walk in the woods yesterday and there were wankers on dirt bikes loving around in there. Not sure if that’s coz the MX track next door is closed or what but I was not happy although being British I of course didn’t say anything.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Jose posted:

I'm not getting paid this week and not eligible for furlough due to being a contractor so thanks for not giving a lockdown extension length

Have you checked the government pay retention scheme already? You are eligible for 80% of your profits for the last 3 years averaging through some government magic: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-grant-through-the-coronavirus-covid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme

If you are not eligible based on profits or self-assessment, you can still get 80% of your director's salary even if you are the only person, up to 2500 pounds. I mean, even if you are paying yourself something like 800 it's more than nothing and might get you through a month or at least help: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

I heard people started to get their director's salaries (the profits retention scheme starts in May) but you missed the April deadline. You can apply for May and get some sweet new 20 pound bills.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

Honestly, does it matter?

:thejoke:

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Oh totally. Love joining my Monday morning conference calls acting like everything is totally normal. Gotta keep those Jira boards up to date

My favourite anxiety is when I'm working I feel guilty that I'm not giving enough attention to my daughter, and when I'm playing with or looking after her, I feel guilty I'm not doing enough work. Love that new feeling. Lovely

Torquemada posted:

Wednesday to Sunday 11-6 closed Monday and Tuesday.

Sweet, some good news. I didn't manage to make it too the Angel of Bow this weekend, so now I've got 2 booze runs to look forward to...

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Galewolf posted:

Have you checked the government pay retention scheme already? You are eligible for 80% of your profits for the last 3 years averaging through some government magic: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-grant-through-the-coronavirus-covid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme

If you are not eligible based on profits or self-assessment, you can still get 80% of your director's salary even if you are the only person, up to 2500 pounds. I mean, even if you are paying yourself something like 800 it's more than nothing and might get you through a month or at least help: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

I heard people started to get their director's salaries (the profits retention scheme starts in May) but you missed the April deadline. You can apply for May and get some sweet new 20 pound bills.

If Jose, like me, only went self-employed/contracted in the last year so can't claim either of those as theres been no self assessments.

I've not go anywhere with UC either so far so at the moment I am very much enjoying watching all my savings and future plans disappear.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
Everyone else in town seems to have figured out my system of doing my big shop fairly early on a Monday morning, which has so far meant I haven't had to queue to get into the big Sainsbury's at all, but today I got there and the line was round the building.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Ratjaculation posted:

If Jose, like me, only went self-employed/contracted in the last year so can't claim either of those as theres been no self assessments.

I've not go anywhere with UC either so far so at the moment I am very much enjoying watching all my savings and future plans disappear.

For directors pay retention you don't need to do self assessment, just need to be :

quote:

Who can claim
You must have:

created and started a PAYE payroll scheme on or before 19 March 2020
enrolled for PAYE online
a UK bank account
Any entity with a UK payroll can apply, including businesses, charities, recruitment agencies and public authorities.

It's probably not much but if you were paying yourself a director's salary before 19 March 2020, you are eligible (even as a director of your own company).

Edit:

quote:

Company Directors
As office holders, salaried company directors are eligible to be furloughed and receive support through this scheme. Company directors owe duties to their company which are set out in the Companies Act 2006. Where a company (acting through its board of directors) considers that it is in compliance with the statutory duties of one or more of its individual salaried directors, the board can decide that such directors should be furloughed. Where one or more individual directors’ furlough is so decided by the board, this should be formally adopted as a decision of the company, noted in the company records and communicated in writing to the director(s) concerned.

Where furloughed directors need to carry out particular duties to fulfil the statutory obligations they owe to their company, they may do so provided they do no more than would reasonably be judged necessary for that purpose, i.e. they should not do work of a kind they would carry out in normal circumstances to generate commercial revenue or provides services to or on behalf of their company.

This also applies to salaried individuals who are directors of their own personal service company (PSC).

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 27, 2020

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

For me: it was two different revelations:

Firstly, there was a day when I realised that I honestly had no idea if it was a Thursday or a Sunday.
Until I looked at my calendar, I'd have given 50:50 odds of it being either of them.

The second was when I realised that it made almost no difference if it were a Thurs or a Sun, apart from whether I left my work phone turned on or not.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Galewolf posted:

For directors pay retention you don't need to do self assessment, just need to be :

It's probably not much but if you were paying yourself a director's salary before 19 March 2020, you are eligible (even as a director of your own company).

Edit:

ty for the help but none of this applies to me. supposedly umbrella companies are lobbying the government to include them so the massive amount of contractors they employ survive but as with everything else they don't give a poo poo because supposed UK journalists just do this instead

https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1254714254638399488?s=20

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

goldenninjawarrior posted:

Everyone else in town seems to have figured out my system of doing my big shop fairly early on a Monday morning, which has so far meant I haven't had to queue to get into the big Sainsbury's at all, but today I got there and the line was round the building.

https://twitter.com/seanbgoneill/status/1192147565250265088?lang=en

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Jose posted:

ty for the help but none of this applies to me. supposedly umbrella companies are lobbying the government to include them so the massive amount of contractors they employ survive but as with everything else they don't give a poo poo because supposed UK journalists just do this instead

Oh, sorry to hear that. I mean, I'm sure you are already aware of what you can get or not but sometimes things get lost in the bureaucracy lingo and massive tl;dr so just wanted to post a reminder.

My accountant told me I'm eligible because he has access to every bit of information to make that call but I'm going to invoice some clients this month which excludes me from it but who knows what will happen in May.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 27, 2020

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer

I live such a dull life that before all this a hobby of mine was getting a bit pissed and going to the big sainsbury's to wander round and look at all the bright coloured packaging on food.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Galewolf posted:

Edit:

I'm self-employed, so don't have PAYE.

Thanks for the help though.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

goldenninjawarrior posted:

I live such a dull life that before all this a hobby of mine was getting a bit pissed and going to the big sainsbury's to wander round and look at all the bright coloured packaging on food.

I see a lot of apparently sober people just standing and staring at the shelves sometimes for ages and sometimes i wonder what they are thinking

sometimes if you say "excuse me" to try to get something from in front of them they jump like you are waking them from sleep :/

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

crispix posted:

sometimes i wonder what they are thinking

ketchup... catsup... ketchup... catsup...

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Last time I went to a supermarket in the before times, there were people staring at empty shelves as if they could will bottles of disinfectant into existence. I think some people's brains just lock up in an "Item not found, abort, retry fail?" loop if they can't find exactly what they're looking for.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

my friend once said that old dudes act like pigeons, walk around aimlessly, look confused and occasionally follow women they don't know

it stuck with me

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Or you could do like the maskless woman by the cleaning section in Iceland was doing this morning, picking up bottles of Comfort softener, unscrewing the caps, having a good sniff, then putting them all back. She was at that for at least 5 minutes as I swung back round the aisles. loving braindeath.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Ratjaculation posted:

I'm self-employed, so don't have PAYE.

Thanks for the help though.

I'm self employed too but also paying my director salary with PAYE contribution. Did you mean sole-trader?

If you paid yourself as a director of a ltd. and paid PAYE contribution based on the salary, you are eligible for Borisbucks.

It only became clear last Monday so many people still might not know about it.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

crispix posted:

I see a lot of apparently sober people just standing and staring at the shelves sometimes for ages and sometimes i wonder what they are thinking

Sorry, I’m one of these people. I just take ages figuring out what brand and can I fit it in my bag and when does it go off and do I already have it at home and what will I eat it with etc etc. I try not to do it anymore though because half the time some bloke who thinks he’s funny will appear behind me and yell “HA HA CAN’T DECIDE?”. Once I even got “you shouldn’t eat those!” coz I was stood in front of a row of chocolate biscuits. Ok thanks random old guy

And sniffing all the air freshener, candles and fabric softener in a supermarket is normal and my god given right, I’ll never stop

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Sunswipe posted:

Last time I went to a supermarket in the before times, there were people staring at empty shelves as if they could will bottles of disinfectant into existence. I think some people's brains just lock up in an "Item not found, abort, retry fail?" loop if they can't find exactly what they're looking for.

This was me. I’ve baked my own bread for 20 years now and nearly broke down crying in Morrison’s when I realised fuckers were hoarding all the flour and yeast. Like, are you making GBS threads me, one pack of yeast will do me, a person who bakes all our own bread for ages, what do you need 5 packs for*? And enjoy your flour weevils you pack of fake 4 by 4 wankers who’ve come down to clear out the poor persons Morrison’s, you can’t hoard large amounts of flour, not even hovis hoards flour, it will start crawling around the place and get in the rest of your food and pretty soon the only option is to burn down your house or move.

*Ended up jumping up and down and found a pack that had scooched to the back.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Where the gently caress are the eggs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVjlD1eIK2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLoT0rqkMYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCEfZPhL-NU

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 27, 2020

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

learnincurve posted:

This was me. I’ve baked my own bread for 20 years now and nearly broke down crying in Morrison’s when I realised fuckers were hoarding all the flour and yeast. Like, are you making GBS threads me, one pack of yeast will do me, a person who bakes all our own bread for ages, what do you need 5 packs for*? And enjoy your flour weevils you pack of fake 4 by 4 wankers who’ve come down to clear out the poor persons Morrison’s, you can’t hoard large amounts of flour, not even hovis hoards flour, it will start crawling around the place and get in the rest of your food and pretty soon the only option is to burn down your house or move.

*Ended up jumping up and down and found a pack that had scooched to the back.

I bought two large bags of yeast off ebay you might want to try that.

Is he cutting his own hair in solidarity with NHS workers?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Shut up Meg posted:

Where the gently caress are the eggs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L7VJl76i9U

egg

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i am harry posted:

Is he cutting his own hair in solidarity with NHS workers?

There is no one he trusts to not slit his neck

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Thats a fake boris

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

Thats a fake boris

I really hope some tinfoilers get in on this with those comparison images with all the red circles

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

learnincurve posted:

And enjoy your flour weevils you pack of fake 4 by 4 wankers who’ve come down to clear out the poor persons Morrison’s, you can’t hoard large amounts of flour, not even hovis hoards flour, it will start crawling around the place and get in the rest of your food and pretty soon the only option is to burn down your house or move.

Fortunately I have some largish airtight plastic containers I've decanted most of my 2.5kg bag of flour into, that should be ok right? :ohdear:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Client visit tomorrow, one bus and one tube ride during midday. It was good to know you all, RIP.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I think it'll be alright, I haven't seen anywhere else that isn't the nearby Turkish market since March 13th so this should be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

I feel like I have been stalked.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Thats a fake boris

One could argue that it's always been a fake boris.