Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Although I’m not a Greggs customer, the Geordies among you will be pleased to hear they’re opening twenty of their shops in Newcastle soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ugh man today was a horrible work day.

no actual work stress or anything, just... lockdown stress, i guess.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

ugh man today was a horrible work day.

no actual work stress or anything, just... lockdown stress, i guess.

Sorry to hear that mate. It was a relatively productive day today, forcing myself to wake up early and making a list of things to do in the day as per this thread helped. Gonna try squeezing in some excersize this week. Hope you'll feel better soon :unsmith:

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I’ve started getting out on the punchbag a bit, I used to train five/six times a week, then had a baby and stopped, it’s kinda helping my mood.

Nothing strenuous, just 4x3 minute rounds with a minutes rest in between but gently caress me my arms are aching so it’s gotta be doing some good.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Any Virgin goons having broadband issues?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lemon posted:

Ouch man. Way to call them out like that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol unless the government approves a change my furlough wage is 80% the minimum wage

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
:siren:Coronavirus: Greggs to begin reopening shops amid lockdown :siren:

quote:

The bakery chain, which has more than 2,050 shops, said it would open 20 of them in the Newcastle area from Monday 4 May as part of a "controlled trial", with more to follow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52445696

https://twitter.com/katiewakenshaw/status/1254778250619793410

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

learnincurve posted:

This was me. I’ve baked my own bread for 20 years now and nearly broke down crying in Morrison’s when I realised fuckers were hoarding all the flour and yeast. Like, are you making GBS threads me, one pack of yeast will do me, a person who bakes all our own bread for ages, what do you need 5 packs for*? And enjoy your flour weevils you pack of fake 4 by 4 wankers who’ve come down to clear out the poor persons Morrison’s, you can’t hoard large amounts of flour, not even hovis hoards flour, it will start crawling around the place and get in the rest of your food and pretty soon the only option is to burn down your house or move.

*Ended up jumping up and down and found a pack that had scooched to the back.

When I used to work for Tesco, if it was a store with a scratch bakery we used to give fresh yeast to our customers when they asked. If your nearer ones are the same it might be worth an ask. Not sure about Clay X but Chezvegas must surely still be scratch, it’s one of the biggest stores in the UK.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Wasn't it Tesco that recently did away with a lot of their bakeries?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Jose posted:

lol unless the government approves a change my furlough wage is 80% the minimum wage

:negative:

(Though, you might never know. We [the gimmicky startup visa owners] thought that we would be exempted from any kind of furlough but the gubmint did a solid and declared that those weren't "public funds" category which is fine to take without jeopardizing our extension and ILR/Citizenship status)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Riiiiiiight at the top of the page

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

feedmegin posted:

Fortunately I have some largish airtight plastic containers I've decanted most of my 2.5kg bag of flour into, that should be ok right? :ohdear:

Weevils are a pita. They will get into your flour at some point, and if you miss them, any food in the local area will have them crawling around. At that point your best option is to bin everything and apply bleach to the entire area liberally.

Or just torch it, they are pretty gross.

As has been said, the people hording the flour and leaving it in a cupboard for 6 months are in for a little suprise at some point.

I'm lucky though, we got a pack of yeast that we just started before the lockdown so I'm fine for fresh bread for a while. Why on earth people are panic buying yeast is dumb as poo poo, most people will end up just binning it when they realise they bought like 3 years worth.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lemon posted:

north london's getting a bunch, and i'm getting patchy outages dawn sawf

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

crispix posted:

:siren:Coronavirus: Greggs to begin reopening shops amid lockdown :siren:
lmao at this rate i dont care when lockdown lifts, i aint leaving the house for the rest of the loving year. I hope this brutal second wave doesn't make our national brainworms too much worse.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Most girls don't appreciate the cheese.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lemon posted:

same here in newcastle

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Thanks for the advice monkeytennis

feedmegin posted:

Fortunately I have some largish airtight plastic containers I've decanted most of my 2.5kg bag of flour into, that should be ok right? :ohdear:

In baking terms 2.5kg isn’t much and you should go through it fast enough. Put those containers in the freezer for a day to kill the eggs for sure if you are worried 🙂

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Saint Drogo posted:

lmao at this rate i dont care when lockdown lifts, i aint leaving the house for the rest of the loving year. I hope this brutal second wave doesn't make our national brainworms too much worse.

The ones with the brain worms will be first to have parties and try to get back to normal so....

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
In good news my pal in London got to see a doctor today who is pretty sure she doesn't have corona despite respiratory symptoms and she's likely just got strep throat and ongoing asthma stuff but he can't examine her throat or formally test her. But it made her feel a bit better so I am very glad.

In bad news my flatmate is still not talking to me since I told her it's not really okay for her to hang out in neighbours flats, particularly those she knows are having other people over from across town.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

goldenninjawarrior posted:

In bad news my flatmate is still not talking to me

Sounds like good news if she's not breathing over you and instead sulking in her room like an american president.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

What happens when the queen dies in the middle of this and you lot can't have your big parade of national mourning? Asking for a friend.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Torquemada posted:

Riiiiiiight at the top of the page

I'm terribly sorry, how rude of me

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

BUG JUG posted:

What happens when the queen dies in the middle of this and you lot can't have your big parade of national mourning? Asking for a friend.

we have the big parade of national mourning, idiot

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Butterfly Valley posted:

Here thread I made these for a quiz I hosted, maybe they'll provide you with 10 minutes of entertainment. The pictures make up song titles and the countries are all ones I've visited, except rotated and not to scale

quarantine diary: day 37,201 - completely of his own accord, my father has also decided to make a quiz and email it to all of my siblings, except in his case due to powerful boomer magicks at work all of the songs are from the sixties despite me being the eldest and the only one even born in the 80s

this has led to the first group chat between us in about five years where we all agree that it's a good thing for someone to engage with him on if only to distract him from sitting in a chair for eighteen hours a day watching youtube videos from reagan-fetishist accounts and actual blackshirts (the last time I made an effort to visit it was literally someone in front of a flag complaining that they couldn't give heavy sack beatings to dodgy-looking immigrants without being put on a watchlist), but we're at an impasse as none of us is actually willing to take time out from our important quarantine hobbies of watching people do curling with marbles and also going through every 1997 edition of WCW Nitro in order to indulge his poo poo

i'm not saying that's morally justifiable, but on the other hand dean malenko never campaigned for the brexit party

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jose posted:

ty for the help but none of this applies to me. supposedly umbrella companies are lobbying the government to include them so the massive amount of contractors they employ survive
So, what do the umbrella companies do, and why do they exist if you’re self employed?

Why wouldn’t they be included if they’re tax paying, British registered companies?

Lemon posted:

Yes, it went out from 5ish. Back now.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Virgin playing up in Cardiff too

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Twitter saying it’s a total outage

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

wooger posted:

So, what do the umbrella companies do, and why do they exist if you’re self employed?

Why wouldn’t they be included if they’re tax paying, British registered companies?

Yes, it went out from 5ish. Back now.

if you're a contractor you either start a company yourself or use an umbrella company. primarily they pay you via PAYE so you don't have to do taxes or anything but also they're clearly fiddling how they pay us becuase basic pay is min wage and then everything else i should be getting paid is commission from them. except the job i've got pays by the completed work so if you go over the minimum required you get paid for it

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

BUG JUG posted:

trying to answer this but the thought makes me :circlefap: too hard. if they go full Diana this country will leap forward 20 years socially.

yeah I know the mourners will be fine and just spread it to the innocent and vulnerable :smith:

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Jose posted:

if you're a contractor you either start a company yourself or use an umbrella company. primarily they pay you via PAYE so you don't have to do taxes or anything but also they're clearly fiddling how they pay us becuase basic pay is min wage and then everything else i should be getting paid is commission from them. except the job i've got pays by the completed work so if you go over the minimum required you get paid for it

if commission is part of your contractual pay structure then my reading is that it should definitely be included in the furlough average earnings calculation

of course, all of the guidance inevitably appears to have been written by rishi sunak on a speed bender instead of someone with a working knowledge of how staff pay works in the real world so it's entirely up to people's interpretation of what actually counts for the big pool of people who are paid something other than flat salary or £9.65 per hour for making widgets for the widget machine

that said, from my clients who've spoken to HMRC they've been told to include stuff that doesn't even make sense in context (such as previous holiday pay) so just tell them claim for all of that poo poo and go to all of the greggs

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Skarsnik posted:

Virgin playing up in Cardiff too

"Virgin" and "Cardiff" are not words I normally see together.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

if commission is part of your contractual pay structure then my reading is that it should definitely be included in the furlough average earnings calculation

of course, all of the guidance inevitably appears to have been written by rishi sunak on a speed bender instead of someone with a working knowledge of how staff pay works in the real world so it's entirely up to people's interpretation of what actually counts for the big pool of people who are paid something other than flat salary or £9.65 per hour for making widgets for the widget machine

that said, from my clients who've spoken to HMRC they've been told to include stuff that doesn't even make sense in context (such as previous holiday pay) so just tell them claim for all of that poo poo and go to all of the greggs

To be fair to HMRC, they are throwing together a scheme that would normally take 1-2 years to implement in a mere 3 weeks. It usually takes the tax office 3 weeks just to open their post and read it.

I will say that the guidance and rules have been revised multiple times and each time it's a little more generous to applicants.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sunak wants all small businesses and contractors to go bust so he can offshore all the work to his father in laws company in India. The biggest outsourcing company on the planet. Lol.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Sunak wants all small businesses and contractors to go bust so he can offshore all the work to his father in laws company in India. The biggest outsourcing company on the planet. Lol.

lol suddenly it all makes sense

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Shut up Meg posted:

To be fair to HMRC, they are throwing together a scheme that would normally take 1-2 years to implement in a mere 3 weeks. It usually takes the tax office 3 weeks just to open their post and read it.

I will say that the guidance and rules have been revised multiple times and each time it's a little more generous to applicants.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I mean, before this all happened we were being quoted a six-month timescale for them to write a cheque for a credit on an account, so yeah, I'll give them a gold star for not having the entire thing collapse under its own bloated weight on the first day

It's more that a month after they've announced that you should claim for 80% of "regular pay", they're unable to give a useful definition of regular pay beyond "pay what's regular and not irregular, innit" so people are just using whatever figure suits them (formal advice: do this; also greggs)

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

Holy poo poo. What's the company

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Amphigory posted:

Infosys

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Amphigory posted:

Infosys

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

all the old guys* at my work who've been furloughed are going steadily more nuts at home and keep making GBS threads up the work whatsapp group with conspiracy stuff scraped off social media. 5G kills, covid-19 is a bioweapon, some Japanese professor is being silenced, China wants to destroy the world, etc. If you ever point out that its bollocks they get all defensive "well better to be safe!!"

*boomers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

someone explain to me why they are obsessed with bill gates

i just dont get it