Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Got the Spyro collection. Cautiously optimistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
DrNutt Was Right

e: lmao that thread VG posted loving rules

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 27, 2020

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Got the Spyro collection. Cautiously optimistic

The games are fun as hell, enjoy!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Taxman laying down the law

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Got the Dark Souls 3 “base game+all DLC” release since it was 75% off. Uhg I have no idea when I’m going to ever have time to play this. Still need to get through FF7R so I can then return to GOTY2020 Bloodborne.

Has there been any word on Elden Ring? (Also has From stated if they ever intend to return to Armored Core? I really want a mech game that’s not based on a licensed franchise (e.g. not Gundam))

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pulcinella posted:

Got the Dark Souls 3 “base game+all DLC” release since it was 75% off.

:allears:

I started another run last week, it's sooooooo good :allears:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I feel like a lot of this Uncharted discourse talks about mechanics and storytelling as mutually exclusive elements, which is so ridiculous. Uncharted is experientially exhilarating because of how well the technical components are integrated with the presentation.

Film/tv based on Naughty Dog games will never work because on paper the stories are rote and the experiences are simply too reliant on the interactive dimension. It can't be reverse-engineered.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ah yes, “rote storytelling” the famously poisonous concept of characters behaving relatably and making realistic decisions that ruins every story!

What we need are more attempts to dismiss or subvert the audiences expectations, constantly, like an M. Night Shyamalan movie or GoT Season 8, renowned examples of great writing!

Edit: Also I’m not sure if this is a hot take, but I don’t see how leaking the game hurts Naughty Dog more than it hurts the fans of who want to play and experience it instead of having the entire game ruined online. There was no release window so you can’t expect people to just stay off social media until the game comes out, and it’s not like Naughty Dog loses too much money in this situation. Am I crazy for thinking that it just makes the leaker look petty? Aren’t they also just kind of turning to their entire team, everyone of their coworkers, and flipping all of them off too? If Naughty Dog is really paying people based on the performance of the game, doesn’t leaking it just most directly screw over the other employees beholden to that games success, your peers and colleagues?

I mean I guess if it comes out that this was like an Office Space style coordinated effort among abused drones to stick it to corporate, I could kinda get behind that, but if it’s just one dude leaking a semi-complete build online over a pay dispute that seems like, uh, the fastest way to destroy your own career and provide a lot of publicity for a company you hate. I’m seeing political and entertainment accounts that NEVER post about gaming post about these TLOU leaks.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 27, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rote my scrote on a spoiler-tagged boat

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1254804140640763905

TLOU is definitely due to the spoilers, I didn't realize Ghost was that near completion.

E: Oh it was originally due in June. I thought November for some reason.

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 27, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don't click that or any tweet

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

They almost certainly put out this announcement in response to the leak, you don't say "we're postponing the game indefinitely" and then release it only a month after its scheduled May street date.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I didn't mean to imply Uncharted is anything other than supremely rad.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Lmao at Sony deciding spoilers were a bigger threat to sales than a global pandemic

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Uncharted is extremely good at what it sets out to do, which is make you feel like you’re playing a big budget summer action flick while copying all the recognizable beats and tropes of the “we gotta find the treasure” genre.

The dialogue is well acted and written, which is the main reason it works so well. I don’t think anyone would point to them being original and exemplary works of storytelling.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1254805556147167233?s=19

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thanks for being 100% solid good people making the right decisions games mods :3:

This is my setup + Switch and it’s the best thing ever.

I can’t wait to add a PS5 to the mix ayyyyyy

I see you’re a person of class and good taste. (This is also my set up though there’s no way I’m buying a PS5 in the first year... though my pro does sound like a jet engine half the time...)

Also I’m not reading the spoilers and am stoked for TLOU2. The first is a top 10 for me.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 27, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

man nurse posted:

I don’t think anyone would point to them being original and exemplary works of storytelling.

I wouldn't point to many games at all that fit this criteria.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Saying "well uh no game stories are good, I'm having fun / it's better with friends so there" whenever people start criticizing a thing is an act of intellectual cowardice. STAND YOUR GROUND

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bust Rodd posted:

Edit: Also I’m not sure if this is a hot take, but I don’t see how leaking the game hurts Naughty Dog more than it hurts the fans of who want to play and experience it instead of having the entire game ruined online. There was no release window so you can’t expect people to just stay off social media until the game comes out, and it’s not like Naughty Dog loses too much money in this situation. Am I crazy for thinking that it just makes the leaker look petty? Aren’t they also just kind of turning to their entire team, everyone of their coworkers, and flipping all of them off too? If Naughty Dog is really paying people based on the performance of the game, doesn’t leaking it just most directly screw over the other employees beholden to that games success, your peers and colleagues?

I mean I guess if it comes out that this was like an Office Space style coordinated effort among abused drones to stick it to corporate, I could kinda get behind that, but if it’s just one dude leaking a semi-complete build online over a pay dispute that seems like, uh, the fastest way to destroy your own career and provide a lot of publicity for a company you hate. I’m seeing political and entertainment accounts that NEVER post about gaming post about these TLOU leaks.

Idk if i was pissed out having TLOU2 spoiled for me I'd be more annoyed at ND for driving an employee to leak it in the first place.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ND sound like a terrible company, all the poo poo around when UC3 came out, like they seem woefully managed.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

man nurse posted:

Uncharted is extremely good at what it sets out to do, which is make you feel like you’re playing a big budget summer action flick while copying all the recognizable beats and tropes of the “we gotta find the treasure” genre.

The dialogue is well acted and written, which is the main reason it works so well. I don’t think anyone would point to them being original and exemplary works of storytelling.
The biggest crime UC pulls post halfway point of UC3 is not having more Cutter :argh:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hello PS4 thread, I'm here to do some positive posting.

I've been playing more Dragon Quest Builders 2 and the game has the right amount of :peanut: in it.

And for those that like beat 'em up games, friendly reminder that Streets of Rage 4 is coming (hopefully) in April 30th.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92SliupSIek

5 minutes of retro character gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rga1vqmSBEo

Resident Evil VII has a boat level

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
What percentage of blockbuster games like that are sold digitally anyway these days, "we need time to press and ship discs" sounds like a cop out

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ElwoodCuse posted:

What percentage of blockbuster games like that are sold digitally anyway these days, "we need time to press and ship discs" sounds like a cop out

It’s increasing every year and if we get global 5g before the greenhouse gases cook us like an Uncle Ben’s rice pouch then there won’t be a market for physical releases anymore outside of collectorship.

Edit: for some kind of perspective, 2 million of the first 5 million copies of 2018’s God of War were digital, and the game has probably sold closer to 11-12 million at this point.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 27, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

and if we get global 5g

lmao

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

You won't get your sales performance bonus if the game isn't actually available for sale, and it sure looks like the leak forced Sony's hand here. Also, if you abuse your employees with crunch and keep them motivated by dangling a bonus carrot in front of them, and then indefinitely delay the release that gets them that carrot, a spiteful leak seems like a foregone conclusion. It was the absolute first thought I had when I read about the delay -- there's no way Naughty Dog can let that pie cool on the windowsill for very long without someone stealing a taste.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ElwoodCuse posted:

Consider that last month Animal Crossing managed to be the best selling game despite only its physical copies being counted because Nintendo doesn't disclose digital sales (almost everyone else does).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok if leaking the game means you think the game gets out sooner and that means you’ll get your bonus sooner, that means that the leaker has a vested, financial interest in leaking the game and seems less spiteful and more like a survival tactic that makes sense

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok if leaking the game means you think the game gets out sooner and that means you’ll get your bonus sooner, that means that the leaker has a vested, financial interest in leaking the game and seems less spiteful and more like a survival tactic that makes sense

i kinda doubt their motivations were that multidimensional

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

ElwoodCuse posted:

There are a lot of parts of the US without broadband or with bad broadband. So I would imagine it is an issue although I don't think it's really worth delaying a significant amount of time for.

Excited for TLOU2. I don't think the original *needed* a sequel but I will play it and probably enjoy it based on Naughty Dog's last 5 games.

Though I do hate to hear about how poo poo the work environment has become there in the last decade or so.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 27, 2020

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm glad Ghost of Tsushima has a release date. Other than Cyberpunk it's the only upcoming AAA game I have any interest in. I need a good stealth game to fill the MGSV-sized hole in my heart.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought Tsushima already had a release date for June 26, and they just pushed it back so it didn’t overlap too much with Last of Us?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Hello PS4 thread, I'm here to do some positive posting.

I've been playing more Dragon Quest Builders 2 and the game has the right amount of :peanut: in it.

DQB2 is incredible. I can’t believe how much they got it right and how charming it is. It’s wildly underrated.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I will buy TLOU2 when its £10, possibly second-hand, and then complain about it. Just like I did with the first one

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I wonder if Sony is still going to give out automatic rebates for TLOU2 preorders?

I would guess not, but that ends up being pretty weird messaging.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

achillesforever6 posted:

The biggest crime UC pulls post halfway point of UC3 is not having more Cutter :argh:

Not their fault; he had to go be a Hobbit, so Cutter needed to be written out halfway.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

il serpente cosmico posted:

I wonder if Sony is still going to give out automatic rebates for TLOU2 preorders?

I would guess not, but that ends up being pretty weird messaging.

Wait what? Why would they?

If game companies gave rebates every time there's a delay they'd all be out of business.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They took the pre-order off the PSN Store so maybe they refunded people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Nail Rat posted:

Wait what? Why would they?

If game companies gave rebates every time there's a delay they'd all be out of business.

They announced they'd be issuing automatic refunds after the indefinite delay: https://support.playstation.com/s/?language=en_US

This situation was a bit different than most since the game was nearly out and it was suddenly pulled from the store and no future date was set.