Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

il serpente cosmico posted:

I wonder if Sony is still going to give out automatic rebates for TLOU2 preorders?

I would guess not, but that ends up being pretty weird messaging.

Yeah I still haven't gotten a refund for it so I guess I still have a pre-order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not their fault; he had to go be a Hobbit, so Cutter needed to be written out halfway.
I know and I assume he was busy with Preacher when UC4 and 'LL came out

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Hello PS4 thread, I'm here to do some positive posting.

I've been playing more Dragon Quest Builders 2 and the game has the right amount of :peanut: in it.

My wife and I have been passing the controller back and forth on this one for a couple of hours a week for months now. Great fun. Moonbrooke sucked though and we were never so happy as when we finished that drat island.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/neil_druckmann/status/1254840830944112642?s=21

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

exquisite tea posted:

Saying "well uh no game stories are good, I'm having fun / it's better with friends so there" whenever people start criticizing a thing is an act of intellectual cowardice. STAND YOUR GROUND

If the arguments presented were a little more compelling than just “UGH THESE GAME STORIES ARE SO BAD, TRY READING A BOOK FOR ONCE YOU CHILDREN *reads the Wheel of Time series for the eighth time*” it’d be more of a fun subject to get into tbh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Do not click on these tweets if you are concerned about spoilers

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I tend to prefer games to books because I’m actively engaging with the proceedings. I feel more invested in what’s going on, and dare I say, immersed. If that makes me a child, then okay.

All forms of storytelling and entertainment are valid imo. Whether you’re watching a movie or letting your mind transport you somewhere by reading words.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Make-believe is fun imo

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

man nurse posted:

All forms of storytelling and entertainment are valid imo. Whether you’re watching a movie or letting your mind transport you somewhere by reading words.

Absolutely 100% agree with this :)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dewgy posted:

If the arguments presented were a little more compelling than just “UGH THESE GAME STORIES ARE SO BAD, TRY READING A BOOK FOR ONCE YOU CHILDREN *reads the Wheel of Time series for the eighth time*” it’d be more of a fun subject to get into tbh

Precisely! The plot of the video game doesn’t have to be a literary masterpiece to be well written, engaging, or emotionally resonant and good games are all three of those things like the Witcher 3 or the last of us

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Having looked at the full story spoilers wow.

If they are true, this is going to be a bad game and I feel like it really cheapens the end of the first one.

I'm actually really glad that I read the spoilers because if I played this game blind I would be beyond angry. Now I'm not gonna be in a rush to play it. If I hear it's good in context maybe I get it later.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 27, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dewgy posted:

One of the amazing things about the human experience is that we have the capacity to become emotionally invested in any form of representative media. This is great because it means that you don't need to have studied the last 500 years of English literature to appreciate the twists and turns of a professional wrestling storyline -- with a compelling narrative and relatable characters you can achieve greatness no matter how high or low the artform. It's one undeniably awesome thing about being human, not some weakness of the mind.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The way I look at story lines and media is if it affected you in a positive way then it was good and was something that called to your spirit.
Classics and GOATs are classified that way because of their likelihood to affect more people than average, but that does not mean that things not raised on pedestals cannot have the same (or even more) emotional or intellectual punches.

I love a lot of media and not all of it is considered a classic. Some of it not even 'good' but they stirred something within me and connected to the way I view and value the world. That gives them worth.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

If they are true, this is going to be a bad game and I feel like it really cheapens the end of the first one.

Yeah, reading those makes it sound like there's no point to playing the game. I feels to me the same as Under the Sea did for Bioshock Infinite where it's just a big "gently caress you" to people who enjoyed the first one.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

I'm actually really glad that I read the spoilers because if I played this game blind I would be beyond angry. Now I'm not gonna be in a rush to play it. If I hear it's good in context maybe I get it later.

Can we not talk about spoilers in the general chat? Like one way or the other. It both shows people here have bad impulse control, reeks of entitlement, and is generally gross.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

Talking about the leak, and the circumstances surrounding it = fine
Posting items from the leak = probation

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yeah sorry I'll do the thing that was said to be okay to do. I'm not going to say it repeatedly or anything but I was just stating, that's my reaction as someone who did read them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Talking about the leak =/= discussing the content of the spoilers.

The mods opened a specific thread for discussing those. No fewer than 5 regular posters have specifically asked that all discussion of the content of the spoilers be moved to that thread, and VG and Infinitum both agreed. Please respect, my friend.

Because like 20 posts of “I won’t TELL YOU what I read but OH GOD ITS AWFUL ITS THE WORST GAME EVER ALREADY” sucks out loud.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah sorry I'll do the thing that was said to be okay to do. I'm not going to say it repeatedly or anything but I was just stating, that's my reaction as someone who did read them.

Ok.

Posting about how bad you think the game will be still spoils the game. Hope this helps.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

VideoGames posted:

The way I look at story lines and media is if it affected you in a positive way then it was good and was something that called to your spirit.
Classics and GOATs are classified that way because of their likelihood to affect more people than average, but that does not mean that things not raised on pedestals cannot have the same (or even more) emotional or intellectual punches.

I love a lot of media and not all of it is considered a classic. Some of it not even 'good' but they stirred something within me and connected to the way I view and value the world. That gives them worth.

:yeah:

I think my big thing is “volume of critical analysis” tends to get conflated with “good” a bit too often. Hemingway was a hugely influental writer whose work is full of symbolism and have decades of literary analysis written about them, but frankly in my eyes his books are pigshit awful dreck made solely to boost his own ego. Shakespeare used iambic and rhymes because his actors were idiots who forgot their lines. (Worked out way better for him than Hemingway though, he was actually a good writer to boot.)

There’s an enormous amount of things to talk about when it comes to any medium, and video games have their own strengths and weaknesses like any other. Boiling that down to just “bad” though just strikes me as a means to prop up whatever you’ve convinced yourself is the platonic ideal way of telling a story.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Woofer posted:

Posting about how bad you think the game will be still spoils the game. Hope this helps.

There are a lot of people who have been saying that since it was announced though!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For what it’s worth, I don’t think the story sounds very good from the leaks but a lot of good stories written out so basically probably sound the same. Thematically it definitely seems like it’s covering extremely well-worn ground, but that doesn’t mean the execution couldn’t be good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dewgy posted:

I think my big thing is “volume of critical analysis” tends to get conflated with “good” a bit too often. Hemingway was a hugely influental writer whose work is full of symbolism and have decades of literary analysis written about them, but frankly in my eyes his books are pigshit awful dreck made solely to boost his own ego. Shakespeare used iambic and rhymes because his actors were idiots who forgot their lines. (Worked out way better for him than Hemingway though, he was actually a good writer to boot.)

There’s an enormous amount of things to talk about when it comes to any medium, and video games have their own strengths and weaknesses like any other. Boiling that down to just “bad” though just strikes me as a means to prop up whatever you’ve convinced yourself is the platonic ideal way of telling a story.

iambic pentameter is lovely

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Nail Rat posted:

There are a lot of people who have been saying that since it was announced though!

I know. That doesn’t mean you aren’t lovely. It just means they are lovely too. Incredible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

YOOOO. Even if you are just talking about how much you didn't like the spoilers there is thread for that now. Talk about it there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Saying something is bad is not a spoiler don’t be an idiot. I know people have got extremely sensitive but that’s like beyond parody

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
once again:

Infinitum posted:

Talking about the leak, and the circumstances surrounding it = fine
Posting items from the leak = probation

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

CharlestheHammer posted:

Saying something is bad is not a spoiler don’t be an idiot. I know people have got extremely sensitive but that’s like beyond parody

If people want to go in blind to something, telling them it is bad is definitely a spoiler.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Woofer posted:

If people want to go in blind to something, telling them it is bad is definitely a spoiler.

What?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Woofer posted:

You've been here long enough to know that nobody has to wait to call something bad!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
OK please can we simmer down. I do not think we need to litigate over someone saying something is bad. It is fine. All we know is that person does not like something.

Now that we have all briefly gone over what is OK to post here (coupled with the fact that I am here reading) please trust in me to pipe up or pipe down if something should not be posted. You are all wonderful :)

Dewgy posted:

I genuinely think 'bad' or good' are just catch all words because sometimes people cannot articulate why they did/did not like something. I say I love things a lot and genuinely do, and often it is really tough to clarify that. It can be a strain. With enough time I can formulate words and phrases and sentences but on something quickfire like posting back and forth then sometimes the mind cannot quite unjumble :)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Woofer posted:

They may not even agree it’s so silly. It’s like if the week of FF7 people complain Ed because people were talking about how good it was because what if they didn’t know it was good?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
E: Video Games is here to put the wrong things right

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Only leaks worth discussing are the cooperative whizzes Death Stranding players can do on the same spot to sprout a mushroom that will eventually host health-boosting little cryptobiotes. Players around the world uniting in urination.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Theres nothing bad about enjoying video games stories or whatever or becoming emotionally invested in video game characters (in moderation obvs) but speaking personally, what I can get out of reading a good book is something so completely different and removed from what any video game has been able to do that I will always be suspicious of anyone who claims video game stories are just as good as literature

The only game that even comes close to this is The Last Guardian and even then it's still just a well crafted narrative

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
death stranding was on sale so i bought it, did i make a mistake

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
nah it owns

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

wyoak posted:

that would be a spoiler

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

You've been here long enough to know that nobody has to wait to call something bad!

Correct. The forums in general love to poo poo on media that are insanely well crafted but have flaws, including tv shows, movies, video games or music. Same as a lot of twitter really. These are usually the same people that couldn’t create any art close to the level of stuff they say sucks if their lives depended on it.

Much easier to complain than to create.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

wyoak posted:

I trough it was a great game, but I have seen different reactions from different people all abroad the spectrum.

We should be thankfull of the guys that mantain the networks alive and well for us to download games :D