Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
fun fact: the woman who played quark's Cardassian lady (Natima Lang) was Mary Crosby--daughter of Bing Crosby.

e: she was also on some silly old tv show nobody ever watched called Dallas

Pick fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, Disco makes a few earnest efforts to make some Trek plots here and there despite being pretty bad on the whole (eg; the time-loop episode and the Tardigrade). All Voyager ever really does is retread Next Gen with a different cast.

the tardigrade wasn't a trek plot because it was blatantly plagiarized from an unreleased indie game, cleverly named "tardigrades".

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
The tardigrade didn’t feel like a Star Trek plot idea to me. In Star Trek, if the question is “do we torture a creature to benefit ourselves,” that’s barely even a debate. It’s wrong to torture. It would take half an episode to cover. This dragged on for like 3 episodes with everyone acting like bastards.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Pick posted:

I'm imagining this in the style of "Get me Hennimore!"

This but Quark and Garak.

I'd but that beer label as a poster/shirt.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

The tardigrade didn’t feel like a Star Trek plot idea to me. In Star Trek, if the question is “do we torture a creature to benefit ourselves,” that’s barely even a debate. It’s wrong to torture. It would take half an episode to cover. This dragged on for like 3 episodes with everyone acting like bastards.

My favourite thing about this is that one of Voyager's best two parters handles the whole "is it wrong to torture space creatures to make our engines do cool poo poo" concept far more entertainingly. Even Voyager, the too-safe and boring retread micromanaged by Rick Berman and meant by Paramount to prop up their toy TV network, managed to handle this idea better than the super-serious modern prestige drama which also exists for similar reasons. There's still undoubtedly more quality hours of Star Trek from Voyager than the new series' just due to the volume of the material and the episodic nature of the old shows.

Granted, Ron Moore bailed not long after working on those episodes because Voyager's writer's room was so goddamn toxic and disinterested so it's not like they're a great window into what the rest of the series was like. Both shows were made to compel people to buy some other product or service the parent company offered, just separated by time. If Voyager had been made today I don't doubt that they'd have actually straight up abandoned the premise in the text of the show and brought them back to the alpha quadrant so they could team up with the Enterprise or something.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the tardigrade wasn't a trek plot because it was blatantly plagiarized from an unreleased indie game, cleverly named "tardigrades".

At least when they ripped that off they picked something nobody had ever heard of instead of a well known and popular video game space opera series that many fans of Star Trek would likely be aware of

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The only episode of Disco that seemed like Trek to me is New Eden, S2 Ep 2. You could put it almost unchanged into any previous series and no one would at an eye.

Not saying it’d be held up as a classic, but it’s recognisable as Trek.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I might complain some about voyager being generic but it is definitely very Trek compared to the dumpster fire garbage of DISC/Picard

Like, Voyager is sometimes boring, sometimes hackneyed, sometimes bad, but it’s still go a fundamental Trek ambiance and tone and stuff. Disco just sucks and is awful

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I really think it starts with enterprise at the latest. There's a pretty good argument for the TNG movies.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

PenisMonkey posted:

Quark is pretty good. I’d watch a show centered around him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sUYcJ5lOBI

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

clonus -> the island
tardigrades -> disco
mass effect 3 -> picard

alex kurtzmann really has a strong continuity of works being oddly _similar_ to other prior works.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

This is amazing, it's the most perfectly 1970s thing I've ever seen.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pick posted:

I really think it starts with enterprise at the latest. There's a pretty good argument for the TNG movies.

The last time I watched Undiscovered Country I decided it was already after the high water mark for the franchise

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

The last time I watched Undiscovered Country I decided it was already after the high water mark for the franchise

*smack!*

*smack smack smack!*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

piratepilates posted:

clonus -> the island
tardigrades -> disco
mass effect 3 -> picard

alex kurtzmann really has a strong continuity of works being oddly _similar_ to other prior works.

Close; Picard rips off the first Mass Effect game verbatim, and given the way it ends I'd put money on lining up Mass Effect 2 for the second season.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

It's downhill from the moment the Stealing the Enterprise sequence in III ends

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Western Civilization peaked in 1996

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Tighclops posted:

You mean when ska music was popular and we had to pay an hourly rate to play battletech, air warrior, and gemstone on AOL?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I loving know what I typed

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

This is now the ska appreciation thread.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I could see Harry Kim as the Maracas guy in a ska band

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

piratepilates posted:

clonus -> the island
tardigrades -> disco
mass effect 3 -> picard

Clonus at least had the decency to involve Peter Graves and make for good MST3K fodder.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Tom Paris would listen to ska. Neelix would probably get into it too.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Yeah, but Tom Paris has good taste. Dude likes Captain Proton, and that gave us Bride of Chaotica!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Tighclops posted:

1999 according to The Matrix.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The entire bridge crew is into ska as deeply as they are into sumo.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

You mean when ska music was popular and we had to pay an hourly rate to play battletech, air warrior, and gemstone on AOL?

It's 1996, silly, you don't play Battletech on a home computer! You go to the Battletech center at the mall. :rolleyes:

e: Vulture V3 was my favorite.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

shadow puppet of a posted:

The entire bridge crew is into ska as deeply as they are into sumo.

you know what they call ska in the future?

classical music.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Picard politely skanks to the cello arrangement of "Kicking Pigeons in the Park"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Data asking Dr. Crusher to teach him how to dance and they start skanking to the Bosstones.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

what is it and how do I get more of that

also generic space music is...generic

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I can see Riker creating a Ska band on the holodeck

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

piratepilates posted:

clonus -> the island

i am not familiar with either of these

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Parts: The Clonus Horror was a late 70s B-movie that actually wasn't bad despite their limitations, and made for a good MST3k episode.

Coincidentally, The Island, screenplay by Alex Kurtzman, is the exact same movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i am not familiar with either of these

Clonus (I think the full title is Parts: The Clonus Horror) is a no-budget sci-fi movie from the late '70s. It was pretty awful, and gained notoriety when it was on MST3K. Orci and Kurtzman lifted a lot of it loving wholesale for The Island, which they wrote for Michael Bay (it was a pretty forgettable movie starring, I think, Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson). The people who produced Clonus sued the poo poo out of Dreamworks, who finally settled out of court for what was reported to be a very handsome sum.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The most memorable thing about The Island is the highway escape scene where a giant alien robot falls on a car out of nowhere.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

I can see Riker creating a Ska band on the holodeck

Riker's cool! He would do cool things. I support him.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Headlines from The Onion, looks like?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Headlines from The Onion, looks like?

(yes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I just wanna let you all know how much I fuckin' hate Tom Paris.

A lot. I hate him a lot.