Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

DrDork posted:

It's not. With very few exceptions, any card you buy today will run just fine with the stock cooler. However, that doesn't mean that it'll run quietly, which is what most of these replacements are really chasing. Even in a well ventilated case, an iffy cooler can make quite a racket. That was the prime drive for me to go to a AIO loop on my 1080Ti, and I couldn't be happier; the lower temps are just a benefit, since they haven't really let me bump the OC up enough to make any real difference in actual performance.

Even then, I feel like undervolting plus a less aggressive fan curve gets you most of the way there unless it's something like the 1080ti Armor where the cooler is made for 2/3 the TDP at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I certainly won't argue against sound, but I have to say the last, I dunno, 6 years of GPUs have generally been really quiet. Maybe I just am lucky (or more likely I have more money now so I don't mind spending a bit more) but it's not like the 8800GT days when the fans would shake your full tower case.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Different people are going to have very different tolerance for noise and very different ideas of what "quiet" is.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Arzachel posted:

Even then, I feel like undervolting plus a less aggressive fan curve gets you most of the way there unless it's something like the 1080ti Armor where the cooler is made for 2/3 the TDP at most.

Yeah, there are different approaches you can take to address the issue. Undervolting and such can work well, but you often lose some performance for it. For me, I spent a total of I think $75 for the G10+AIO and I've used it on three cards now, which has allowed me to both enjoy near silent running (I know some people get pump noise, but mine never has) at close to top-tier clocks while using lower-tier cards. So it's paid for itself and then some. I know others here have done similar things with the air-coolers and transplanted them across a few cards. It all depends on what exactly you're trying to get out of your solution.

But, yeah, gently caress those 1080Ti Armor coolers. What trash.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Lockback posted:

I certainly won't argue against sound, but I have to say the last, I dunno, 6 years of GPUs have generally been really quiet. Maybe I just am lucky (or more likely I have more money now so I don't mind spending a bit more) but it's not like the 8800GT days when the fans would shake your full tower case.

Yeah they've been getting gradually quieter to the point where this 2 fan 2.75 slot EVGA 2070S is really barely audible under any circumstance. I have it overclocked but not overvolted (since Turing doesn't seem to give a poo poo about volts).

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
My MSI 2060S Armor is almost inaudible at 65% fan speed besides Phanteks 120mm case fans at 700rpm, but it turns into a jet engine at 70% without any appreciable decrease in GPU core temp. So I had to run a custom fan curve which tops up at 65% in Afterburner.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Didn't Linus put a D15 on a GPU in a recent-ish vid and got amazing thermals? I swear I've seen that.

Looks like it was an Assassin III. A couple years back DIY Perks did it with a Noctua and also got bonkers results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6hvsqUEtZ4

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I suppose current GPU's benefit well from good cooling. Cooler sits directly on die like in Athlon XP days, but the gpu dies are many times larger. All the heat is divided to a larger area so it is easier to cool.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I'd like to see a GPU made with a massive tower cooler. Make a cooling solution that is deliberately designed to reach the bottom of an ATX case and rest against it. Turn all those slots at the back into an exhaust.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Man, those poor toasty vrms, that can't be good

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
My RX 580 gets very loud when gaming. Would undervolting be a way to lower noise and if so, how would I go about doing that?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

My RX 580 gets very loud when gaming. Would undervolting be a way to lower noise and if so, how would I go about doing that?

What model is it?
Undervolting helps a lot but you also need to reign in the max power limit. It's 185W normally and cheap/badly constructed models can't cope with that silently.
I found -25% to -30% power limit made the pain go away on mine.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
It's a Sapphire Pulse: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/y2DzK8/sapphire-radeon-rx-580-8gb-pulse-video-card-11265-05

What software did you use to do this? Can it be done through the AMD driver software?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Incessant Excess posted:

It's a Sapphire Pulse: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/y2DzK8/sapphire-radeon-rx-580-8gb-pulse-video-card-11265-05

What software did you use to do this? Can it be done through the AMD driver software?

Yep AMD Radeon Software: Performance -> Tuning. You can also lower the voltage -50mv or so without much issue. Undervolting sometimes nets higher clocks while using less/the same power

Setset fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 28, 2020

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My computer shut off last night, hit the power button, nothing happens. I pulled out my 980ti and it boots right up, plug in back in, won't power on, no beeps, no fans, but the motherboard has power definitely because the high power gaming LEDs are still going strong.

Is there any way to tell if this is a molex 8-pin issue vs card issue? I suspect the card because it's had really bad PCB slouch due to the weight of the heatsinks, but I don't have a great way to test what with the virus situation. I can afford the new card and power supply if it comes down to it, but I'm wondering if I can shove my multimeter probes into the molex or something to see if its dead.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does anyone know if Nvidia RT cores are any good for offline (not real-time) GPU raytracing like for visual effects/animation rendering? Seems like the current crop of raytracing renderers are using CUDA so I’m not sure if the optimizations in the newer RT cores really helps in this application.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Shaocaholica posted:

Does anyone know if Nvidia RT cores are any good for offline (not real-time) GPU raytracing like for visual effects/animation rendering? Seems like the current crop of raytracing renderers are using CUDA so I’m not sure if the optimizations in the newer RT cores really helps in this application.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/11/21/creative-apps-rtx/

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Shaocaholica posted:

Blender 2.82 has optix for cycles path tracing as an option. And it is pretty good, though it takes time at the beginning of the render to set up the render kernal. Not all features are supported yet but I have not noticed it. Way faster than cuda rendering was.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I don't think there's any production-ready renderers with RTX backends yet but the early results look very promising

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=blender-281-optix&num=1

Octane has also shown massive performance gains but again, still in preview AFAIK

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=70705&p=357272

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 28, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Salt Fish posted:

My computer shut off last night, hit the power button, nothing happens. I pulled out my 980ti and it boots right up, plug in back in, won't power on, no beeps, no fans, but the motherboard has power definitely because the high power gaming LEDs are still going strong.

Is there any way to tell if this is a molex 8-pin issue vs card issue? I suspect the card because it's had really bad PCB slouch due to the weight of the heatsinks, but I don't have a great way to test what with the virus situation. I can afford the new card and power supply if it comes down to it, but I'm wondering if I can shove my multimeter probes into the molex or something to see if its dead.

What PSU are you using?

I would strongly suspect the GPU is dead given what you've described. One cheap test would be to change around what power connectors you have plugged in. I have once seen an adapter not boot a card but that's rare. I think its the card dying since you it sounds like you didn't really do anything before it died.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

repiv posted:

I don't think there's any production-ready renderers with RTX backends yet but the early results look very promising

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=blender-281-optix&num=1

Octane has also shown massive performance gains but again, still in preview AFAIK

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=70705&p=357272

Interesting. Maybe Nvidia will ship RTX only dies just for this kind of stuff. What’s the breakdown of die real estate currently for consumer GPUs for RT cores vs all other cores?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
IIRC RT cores are something like just under 10% of die space on Turing. However, even an RT-dedicated product would need at least some of the other hardware there. The RT cores just accelerate certain operations and you need other functionality for the entire process. IDK what the ultimate impact will be on the offline rendering industry, but my expectation is that it will be pretty large. Any time a broad commercial technology can be repurposed for a niche industry, the benefits tend to be huge.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Sure you need additional die for the logic controller, etc. A big rear end RT targeted quadro/Tesla would be pretty neat. Especially in some goofy 4 card arrangement or just PCIe over network and have 1000s of cores available dynamically.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 28, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

I assume you don't have another GPU to test with? If you have an older card that uses the same power connection then that would give you a pretty good test.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Shaocaholica posted:

This series was a nice overview on RT in general. This episode goes into what the RT cores do better than CUDA with respect to RT. Not super in depth. The whole series is worth a watch if you're interested in RT in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoQfX1q-VNE

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Salt Fish posted:

really bad PCB slouch
Did you try a different PCIe slot?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a non-ti 980 and some of the output ports stopped working. I used to use 2 hdmi and now I have to use 1 displayport and 1 hdmi. it has 2 displayports and 2 hdmi ports. Is this normal for an old GPU? It's probably from 2015/2016 or so.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

redreader posted:

I have a non-ti 980 and some of the output ports stopped working. I used to use 2 hdmi and now I have to use 1 displayport and 1 hdmi. it has 2 displayports and 2 hdmi ports. Is this normal for an old GPU? It's probably from 2015/2016 or so.

Any visible damage to the ports? Have you swapped out cables to check that it’s not something with those? If you put light tension on the port in any direction with the cable attached does it suddenly work?

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Going to the previous page talk about watercooling GPU's, I just put a G12 bracket on a 1080ti Gigabyte Gaming OC card, prior to the swap I was netting around 90c under load and running 1300 odd clock speed at 99% usage. Pretty horrid but even moreso considering the unbearable noise those fans made. Taking off the cooler showed off some dry thermal compound and a very anemic cooler, it's no wonder this thing wanted to kill itself.

Now under sustained usage in RDR2 with a H75 cooler and 2xNoctua fans, my machine is finally quiet and I'm maxing out at around 53c after an hour or so. Clocks are around 1865-1915 without any tinkering.

I wish I had done this sooner, JFC.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

snickothemule posted:

Going to the previous page talk about watercooling GPU's, I just put a G12 bracket on a 1080ti Gigabyte Gaming OC card, prior to the swap I was netting around 90c under load and running 1300 odd clock speed at 99% usage. Pretty horrid but even moreso considering the unbearable noise those fans made. Taking off the cooler showed off some dry thermal compound and a very anemic cooler, it's no wonder this thing wanted to kill itself.

Now under sustained usage in RDR2 with a H75 cooler and 2xNoctua fans, my machine is finally quiet and I'm maxing out at around 53c after an hour or so. Clocks are around 1865-1915 without any tinkering.

I wish I had done this sooner, JFC.

That's a great improvement but it should be noted that you had a failed cooling solution before you replaced it, it wasn't working correctly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is repasting my blower 2070S worth it? Looking at aftermarket cooling selections. It came in a prebuilt and I have no problems with thermals, yet, but I’d like to head it off at the pass if possible. Also looking into replacing fans if that’s a thing.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Sometimes it can help a lot, sometimes not. There was even a manufacturer that I think forgot to add thermal pads to their GPUs or something crazy within the last two years.

Googling your specific model will probably reveal if anyone's had similar issues. Reddit is a decent sample size.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If the card isn't showing any thermal abnormalities repasting probably won't do much. Repasting is more of a fix for something that is done poorly or not enough. The advice to check if your card has a problem first by looking what other people said it's a good idea, but otherwise I probably wouldn't worry about it

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Some things worth considering :

GPUs tend to use a lot more power than CPUs (which is the thing that "wears out" thermal paste).
GPUs tend to power cycle up and down a lot more than CPUs
CPUs are much more likely to have high quality user-installed paste than GPUs
CPUs are likely to have much better designed custom coolers than GPUs

Repasting CPUs that aren't performing badly is a complete waste of time, but I wouldn't be so certain with GPUs. On the other hand, repasting a GPU can lead to problems with the thermal pads on VRMs and memory, so you have to take all that into account.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ufarn posted:

Sometimes it can help a lot, sometimes not. There was even a manufacturer that I think forgot to add thermal pads to their GPUs or something crazy within the last two years.

Those were the Alienware 2080ti's, I saw that video

Lockback posted:

If the card isn't showing any thermal abnormalities repasting probably won't do much. Repasting is more of a fix for something that is done poorly or not enough. The advice to check if your card has a problem first by looking what other people said it's a good idea, but otherwise I probably wouldn't worry about it

Good to know, I'll keep an eye on it but I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. I was mostly just looking for a new project to have.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

IMO you're very likely to gently caress up the thermal pads on the cooler by taking it off. I wouldn't get into there unless you were fixing a known problem and had replacement pads available.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I won't fix what ain't broke. Thanks for your input everyone.

E:Now, the two 7800 GTX's I have coming, repasting them, they're like 15 years old. And were also like 40 bucks total.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I won't fix what ain't broke. Thanks for your input everyone.

E:Now, the two 7800 GTX's I have coming, repasting them, they're like 15 years old. And were also like 40 bucks total.

Just buy some generic thermal pads online before you open them up so the VRM etc can make contact the way it was supposed to.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

Just buy some generic thermal pads online before you open them up so the VRM etc can make contact the way it was supposed to.

Will do. They're from the capacitor rot days too so everything is going to get a close inspection.

E:Plague, not rot.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

K8.0 posted:

GPUs tend to power cycle up and down a lot more than CPUs

The others make sense, but is that one really true?