Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I didn't do a great job describing this one-

Listerine posted:

One is in a room just around the corner from the Ballroom where you fight one of the cartel sub-bosses, I think you have to defeat the sub-boss to get the door to this room to open.

-so a little more detail, since it's the one that's easiest to miss.

After you beat the sub-boss in the Ballroom, the door the sub-boss came through will be open in the middle of the long dimension of the ballroom (frequently this is the room where the mask for the fountain will spawn). This is not the room where the toilet is. You have to leave one of the side entrances to the ballroom into a square room, and the room with the toilet will be off that, through a door that I think also opens when the sub-boss is defeated. After checking tonight, it looks like this door is always open, so you don't have to fight the sub-boss in the Ballroom itself.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Is anyone else crashing after about 5 minutes of playtime after the latest hotfix?

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Is anyone else crashing after about 5 minutes of playtime after the latest hotfix?

Yes. Pretty much everybody. Was hoping for an emergency hotfix, but the one they did throw out there was for an audio bug.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
This game needed another four years in development.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
It already had 8

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I actually experienced no problems at all while playing with a friend tonight which was weird.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Risky Bisquick posted:

It already had 8

How much of that was actual dev time, I'm gonna say 2 at least.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
As is kinda evident, supposedly the development of this game was a total shambles. Biggest issue was changing engines mid way through, which resulted in a lot of wasted work.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
It's clear the playable characters changed in development, I remember the earliest shots of Borderlands 3 being focused on Tiny Tina, but she's relegated to a minor NPC at best in the full release.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
No Tiny Tina as a playable character is such a joke and misread of their player base, she could've been the Torgue character

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a general resource guide for builds/loot in this game? Have finished the base game and did a few runs of the current event and am swarming with Legendaries now so I thought I'd look it up but not sure what the consensus is and I keep getting hits to YouTube and Reddit.

Level 46 Amara at the moment, going all in on that Elemental Damage. The Lob is amazing.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Risky Bisquick posted:

No Tiny Tina as a playable character is such a joke and misread of their player base, she could've been the Torgue character

I like that they stuck to brand new characters for the vault hunters.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

How quick is power leveling? Just find a 57 and hang out not dying while they kill everything?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Otacon posted:

How quick is power leveling? Just find a 57 and hang out not dying while they kill everything?

You can die, you'll still get xp. I'd find a 57, go into coopetition mode, and have the 57 run a circle of slaughter. You'll die immediately and get put into the observation deck but still get xp. Do it on True Vault hunter mode if possible for even more xp.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
There's too much poo poo on the screen now. I suddenly got really tired of it. With some of the new modifiers it gets insane

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Otacon posted:

Come on discord and you can probably join our games

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010

Rinkles posted:

As is kinda evident, supposedly the development of this game was a total shambles. Biggest issue was changing engines mid way through, which resulted in a lot of wasted work.

What's becoming increasingly clear is that they lack some competent game systems designers. Borderlands never had any deep item/stat/resistance interactions, the skill trees are nothing more than very basic % modifiers and even the most simple form of crafting, like rerolling one stat on an item as was possible in Diablo 3, is missing. If you come from games like Warframe or Path of Exile the lack of more customization and build variety is very evident. And updates like the latest one, where enemy health and damage scaling breaks completely in higher Mayhem levels, just shows they don't really know how their own stat system works.

Maybe they are also just missing some programmers, the map display has been cut off for ultrawide users for months now, with the 21:9 aspect ratio just showing the top part of the 16:9 map display.

Xenthalon fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 29, 2020

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

The single most frustrating thing about BL3 is that it completely ignored literally every game made since BL2, particularly (as mentioned above and elsewhere in the thread) the many great quality of life features and customizations/enchanting available in Diablo 3. (And they have Eridium and Cash that are literally useless right now which could be used for these things!)

And it does all of this while its own systems are more anemic and unbalanced that previous games. While also having fewer maps/levels and environments.

I used to be lovely that they didn't add in new item types like armor or whatever, but it doesn't bother me now since I know that rather than improve the game, it would be just another thing you'd need to beat your head against a wall to roll the right anointment on.

Speaking of which, Anointments sounded good on paper. They are actually terrible, especially with MH2.0. They would be better scaling back the legendary drops and reducing enemy health significantly and then removing annointments, but then they'd piss off the nutjobs who spent 50 hours farming a "perfect" item. The only way they could feasibly do it is if they made the change at the same time as a significant level cap increase, since you'd need to re-farm anyway.

Ideally, they'd hire one or more people with a proven track record of good loot/itemization design in these kinds of games to fix their game, but there is zero chance of that happening.

And once again, because I'm making it a point to harp on this until it's fixed: the loving menus (and now even the map) are still loving broken in new and interesting ways every time they loving patch the game.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
One thing happening that I never thought I'd complain about the series is how easy it is now to get legendaries. I'm on M2 and did one run of the cartel base and have like 11 new legendary items! Normally pre-Mayhem I'd get one once in a while, try it out, see how it works on bad guys. Now I have no clue what the gently caress to do. When I try to spend 10 minutes mobbing and trying one I get two more in the same span LOL. I guess I'll just memorize the list of top tier weapons?

Edit: Also another small style question, how the hell do you evaluate class mods? They show icons and names of skills and for the life of me I don't remember what the hell any skill is called, I just put points in the ones that have effects I want.

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 29, 2020

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

how the hell do you evaluate class mods?

Yeah, this game handles that terribly. To be honest with you, outside of a few fringe cases for very specialized builds, the skills are less important that the bonuses it gives you.

For instance, if the mod is of the base type you're after for your build (Such as Seein' Dead, for Zane) then look more at the bonuses it gives you than the skills. If it gives you 15% bonus to Jakobs weapons and 15% damage to snipers and you use a Jacobs sniper, then you're gonna use that mod. It will boost most of your damage by 30%.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
How do you even know the base type you're looking for?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Greenplastic posted:

There's too much poo poo on the screen now. I suddenly got really tired of it. With some of the new modifiers it gets insane

The game has turned into visual diarrhea and it gives me a headache.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Less Fat Luke posted:

One thing happening that I never thought I'd complain about the series is how easy it is now to get legendaries. I'm on M2 and did one run of the cartel base and have like 11 new legendary items! Normally pre-Mayhem I'd get one once in a while, try it out, see how it works on bad guys. Now I have no clue what the gently caress to do. When I try to spend 10 minutes mobbing and trying one I get two more in the same span LOL. I guess I'll just memorize the list of top tier weapons?

Edit: Also another small style question, how the hell do you evaluate class mods? They show icons and names of skills and for the life of me I don't remember what the hell any skill is called, I just put points in the ones that have effects I want.

For weapons there is a master list of top weapons, and then there are lists of top weapons on a per character/build basis. I was using the following list which was last updated early April.

But that said, throw that list into the trash it's gone, over, all new patch, all new meta. There is now a G tier, god mode. Yellowcake, sandhawk, O. P. Q-system. Norfleet 2.0 Yellowcake with +AOE +Grenade +Heavy +Weapon Damage just deletes enemies on M10. It's going to be nerfed for sure it's just crazy on every character and almost no build needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUnTQeC6Qvg&t=239s

OPQ System hit's like an automatic Clairvoyance. Sandhawk is the new Krakatoa.

It's not very clear at all what to do or how to evaluate between class mods at all. Typically for the kind same mod, +/- 1/2 doesn't usually make a huge difference. You get a mod with good passive effects like gun damage or mag size or +AOE, basically whatever rounds out the build you are going for.

Master list: https://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/bl3-lootology-101-a-compilation-of-community-guides/4400659

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 29, 2020

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

How do you even know the base type you're looking for?

Look up the class mods for the class you're playing. Each has a fairly big and significant bonus which will change the way you play the class (Top part of the mod under the skills icon).

Choose which one is most appropriate for the way you want to play.

Also note: as far as I am aware there's pretty much a "best" class mod type for each class (in that it outclasses the others significantly) because of power creep and Gearbox's lack of balancing older items.

Zane's is "Seein' Dead" by far. Can't remember the others right now.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Yellowcake, sandhawk, O. P. Q-system

I have thoroughly tested the OPQ on both Zane and Amara because I heard it was the be all and end all. The Lob still shits all over it, and is by far the better option in amongst the visual garbage of MH2.0 because it goes through everything and keeps making GBS threads out damage. (and in MH10 with a decent amount of life leech, it keeps you alive indefinitely.) It's like the Anarchy all over again. Yeah, they do a lot more damage than your average legendary, but the Lob still outclasses them.

I don't know what the gently caress people are doing to consider the OPQ better. Even when getting nothing but crits with it, it doesn't approach the damage of the Lob.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 29, 2020

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
So the Lob is a specific kind of game play, I have a 200 ASA M10 fire lob I always have equipped when I need enemies to mind their 6ft distance. However getting that close to giant mobs of annointed zealots is not always what you want to do. The Lob is super good, it procs damage multiple times, but you do need distance weaponry too. If you get that close to enemies with a lob you are usually health gating to stay alive, but it depends on how you wanna play.

For the OPQ System on Zane, you want 200 ASA, 100 Cryo, or 300%/over 90 annointments in whatever order you prefer. For the record the Clairvoyance also works in the same role but it's a pain to farm a gatlin/masher variant outside of events.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
The weapon balance is so bizarre. If the draw of your game is having a billion different guns, why would you design things so that only a handful of them are worth using? Some of it is probably incompetence, the patch notes often read like they're just pulling numbers out of their rear end, "ehhhh, +300% damage, sure, sounds about right". Then again, a lot of it is clearly intentional, the Monarch is just a better Dictator, same with the Reflux and the Brainstormer. They're aware that the older guns can't hang at higher mayhem levels, but are purposely not fixing it.

The entire point of randomized drops is so you don't know what you're going to get, you can be surprised by a new gun and incorporating it into your gameplan is a little puzzle. But that's not what you do in BL3, you spend all of your time grinding specific enemies for a specific gun that only they drop and 99% of everything else you find is trash.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Fenn the Fool! posted:

The weapon balance is so bizarre. If the draw of your game is having a billion different guns, why would you design things so that only a handful of them are worth using? Some of it is probably incompetence, the patch notes often read like they're just pulling numbers out of their rear end, "ehhhh, +300% damage, sure, sounds about right". Then again, a lot of it is clearly intentional, the Monarch is just a better Dictator, same with the Reflux and the Brainstormer. They're aware that the older guns can't hang at higher mayhem levels, but are purposely not fixing it.

The entire point of randomized drops is so you don't know what you're going to get, you can be surprised by a new gun and incorporating it into your gameplan is a little puzzle. But that's not what you do in BL3, you spend all of your time grinding specific enemies for a specific gun that only they drop and 99% of everything else you find is trash.

Sorta wanted to post something similar about their "billions of guns" tagline, this game has the potential to be good, great even, but it is held back so frigging hard by making 99% of the guns do tickle damage and a small handful actually do enough to melt enemies, and not even going to get into the horrible dialogue gates and characters interrupting to cut off someone constantly because it's paced poorly.

When me and my friends played, we looked at every gun that dropped and constantly swapped things around for the first 12-20 levels or so and might even find some greens, blues or purples that performed better then oranges, then the game became "replace your krakatoa, hellshock and lob with one with higher numbers" for the entire rest of the game length.
Could we of handicapped ourselves by never equipping those weapons? sure, even tried that at times, but we also didn't want to tickle trash enemies with 0.5% of their healthbar per shot or run out of ammo from half a badass, and now at mayhem 10 the game is still replacing those exact same guns but just so you have the damage to find a good yellowcake or sandhawk to fit in.

The game would benefit massively from a complete number overhaul and purple weapons being allowed to be competitive with oranges that right now do x50 as much damage as the best purple, but it seems far more likely that sometime in the next 10 years someone will make a borderlands clone that is well developed.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

it seems far more likely that sometime in the next 10 years someone will make a borderlands clone that is well developed.

We need a Borderlands version of Torchlight 2 to come around and teach Diablo 2 what it did wrong

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Poque posted:

We need a Borderlands version of Torchlight 2 to come around and teach Diablo 2 what it did wrong

That... is possibly the most bizarre thing I've read in this thread.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mr Scumbag posted:

That... is possibly the most bizarre thing I've read in this thread.

Oh wow, D3 came out before TL2. I'm all hosed up. I just meant that TL2 functioned as kind of a Diablo 2.5, showing how you could do that style of game with a little smarter build and some significant QOL upgrades. Something like that to function as a "Borderlands 3.5" would be super nice.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Poque posted:

Oh wow, D3 came out before TL2. I'm all hosed up.

True, but not really what I meant.

Torchlight 2 was kind of mediocre in many ways and was not a significant improvement on Torchlight 1. In fact, I and many others I know who played it prefer the first game.

The biggest lesson Torchlight 2 has to teach is not to delay your Diablo clone's release until 5 months after the first Diablo game to be released in over a decade. Diablo 3 moved the FEEL of ARPGs forward by lightyears, and then 5 months later, we got Torchlight 1.5 with worse classes and balance along with a stark reminder of how much better ARPGs can be to actually PLAY between the time spent evaluating loot.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I think the prime difference between The original Borderlands and the sequels were how the legendaries generated. In the original Borderlands the only thing that made a legendary a legendary was a single component of the gun, everything else was completely random as any other gun would be. This meant that even among the same legendary type, you would still see a huge amount of diversity. Heck, you would sometimes find legenderies with two different legendary parts on them.

I personally think an excelent solution would be bring back "Glitch" style weaponry like the ones found in the Claptastic voyage, that way any weapon could be a unique legendary taking advantage of the entire weapon pool.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Apparently, the Slayer Mayhem Modifier works with Ties That Bind. You do a melee finisher on one guy and everything else in the room instantly dies. Even stuff on M10, even bosses. I'd imagine this will get patched out at some point, lmak.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Fenn the Fool! posted:

The weapon balance is so bizarre. If the draw of your game is having a billion different guns, why would you design things so that only a handful of them are worth using?

Oddly enough, this is how I feel about most loot games that poo poo out storms of videos, articles, and spreadsheets on build guides and 'best in slot' stuff. Like, yeah, wanting to know what does the most damage is a good idea, but especially in looter-shooters where playstyle is important, I like to think or hope that most guns are viable and usable for all but the poopsockiest 4-8 player raid. Optimization is one thing and I have no issue with it, but this kind of mindset on loot-centric games leads to a lot of active people in the community acting as though 'All other equipment except BiS/[Current Meta] is trash'. When Division 1 was my main game, I said I wanted to get a Tommy Gun. People asked me why, because it's 'lovely and useless', and yeah while it didn't have the best stats on it: I thought running around NYC with a Tommy Gun would be loving awesome, but people literally could not comprehend me wanting anything other than "the best gear". In a game with such customization and pretty gun models and sounds, I found that pretty depressing.

Fenn the Fool! posted:

The entire point of randomized drops is so you don't know what you're going to get, you can be surprised by a new gun and incorporating it into your gameplan is a little puzzle

Is it bad that I play BL3 (and other loot games, as mentioned above) this way? I haven't farmed for a drat thing because i'm just sliding around doing challenges and side quests, scooping up whatever I find, keeping what I like, and going onto the next thing. I mean, yeah I'm not rushing to go to Mayhem 10 because I want to keep actually enjoying the gameplay (Currently in babby-rear end M3), but so far I'm okay with most things, even the legendary spam to an extent.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Morter posted:

Is it bad that I play BL3 (and other loot games, as mentioned above) this way? I haven't farmed for a drat thing because i'm just sliding around doing challenges and side quests, scooping up whatever I find, keeping what I like, and going onto the next thing. I mean, yeah I'm not rushing to go to Mayhem 10 because I want to keep actually enjoying the gameplay (Currently in babby-rear end M3), but so far I'm okay with most things, even the legendary spam to an extent.

Not at all, I think that's the best way to play. Rolling through story bits and quests is pretty great (with the notable exception of all the unskippable dialogue) because you have a specific objective and the best way to achieve it is to make the best of the gear you find along the way. You could go farm better gear whenever you wanted, but no one chooses to; that gameplay loop of cruising through fights and being surprised by new guns is a lot of fun.

It's at endgame where it falls apart, you no longer have a specific objective to chase, your only goal is getting more powerful gear for it's own sake, and often the best way to do that is grindy and repetitive. It would be a lot better if you had something like Diablo 3's adventure mode to push you away from farming and towards a gameplay loop similar to what you do playing through the story.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Dunno if they did a secret hotfix, but I didn't encounter the frame rate issue tonight during an hour and a half session with my Yellowcake Moze build farming the Scraptraps. Also ran the Villa with no problems (tonight was the first Villa run through without the issue occuring).

The one thing I did notice is that bosses seem to now be extra tough. I'm on Mayhem 7 and Joey in the Villa is fine, but outside of there I just chip away at the boss' health and can't do decent damage.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
This is basically the new meta

https://i.imgur.com/L3jfq8A.mp4

Farm claptraps nest for all the new content tbqh

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 30, 2020

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Shiftypenguin posted:

Dunno if they did a secret hotfix, but I didn't encounter the frame rate issue tonight during an hour and a half session with my Yellowcake Moze build farming the Scraptraps. Also ran the Villa with no problems (tonight was the first Villa run through without the issue occuring).

The one thing I did notice is that bosses seem to now be extra tough. I'm on Mayhem 7 and Joey in the Villa is fine, but outside of there I just chip away at the boss' health and can't do decent damage.

Yeah a buddy and I ran into the health thing yesterday

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Mayhem 10 now has an 100% anoint rate!

From today’s hotfix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Question, is there any difference between normal and TVHM Mayhem 10?