Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Chopstix posted:

This is pretty cool. What is the purchasing power of one (gold?) coin? Would a day laborer be unable to afford even one?

Depends on the time frame, a lot of these coins were used for centuries over an enormous area, not to mention eventually devalued to death by metal-starved leaders. During the late republic/early empire, a denarius was supposed to be a laborer’s daily wage. Caesar’s soldiers were paid 225 denarii a year, which was double the usual rate (this was a considerable part of what allowed him to amass an army that would side with him against the entire rest of the government). Around that time, in Rome, you could buy a modius of wheat (that is, enough to make ten days’ worth of bread) for about two denarii. The roughly contemporary gold coin, the aureus, was worth 25 denarii: so your average prole in this time could certainly have afforded some, though it might not have been particularly useful for them to do so.

By the time of Diocletian, the currency had more or less fallen apart and an aureus was now worth more like 1000 denarii (which were themselves now copper with a silver wash rather than being silver). In the early 4th century this got worse and denarii ceased to be issued, though they were still used as a unit of account. Diocletian famously issued a pricing edict in which he insisted that the price of a modius of wheat should be no more than 100 denarii across the whole empire; people must have in fact been charging a good bit more than this somewhere for the edict to have made sense.

A good book on this subject if you can find it is “Coinage and the Roman Economy” by Kenneth Harl.

skasion fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Which makes me wonder when the inflation was first observed and theorized?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fish of hemp posted:

Which makes me wonder when the inflation was first observed and theorized?

I'm not sure about the first use of word "inflation" in this context, but people were aware of the effects of devaluing currencies across all sorts of ancient cultures. The bank of england has specifically tracked inflation in the pound since the 1700s.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm not sure about the first use of word "inflation" in this context, but people were aware of the effects of devaluing currencies across all sorts of ancient cultures. The bank of england has specifically tracked inflation in the pound since the 1700s.

the concept of inflation is big difference though, I do not have the answer, but the point is the Romans for example knew devaluing their currency was bad, but not that just making more coins was also bad. that leap seems to have taken an absurdly long time

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the concept of inflation is big difference though, I do not have the answer, but the point is the Romans for example knew devaluing their currency was bad, but not that just making more coins was also bad. that leap seems to have taken an absurdly long time

It looks like the origin comes from the mid 1500s when philosophers at the time studied the effect of American gold and silver on Spain and Europe.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

But where did Rome sit on the Big Mac index?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Thermopolium of Asellina posted:

The Thermopolium of Asellina is one of the most complete examples of a thermopolium in Pompeii. Complete jugs and dishes were found on the counter, as well as a kettle filled with water. The ground floor in the Thermopolium of Asellina was used for people to eat and drink, and some stairs led to guest rooms on the second floor.

It had a typical structure consisting of a wide doorway open to the street, a counter with holes where jars were set into it (dolia) for food or wine. It had shrines for the Lares (household gods), Mercury (god of commerce) and Bacchus (god of wine), as these were the most important gods for this occupation. Upstairs, there were guest rooms as well, so this may have also been used as an Inn; however, some think that this may have been a brothel due to the names of many women written on one of the walls of the Thermopolium. Another theory is that these were the slave-girls who worked as barmaids.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If I had to open any modern food business in Ancient Rome, I'd choose a taqueria. No corn tortillas of course but you could really adapt the fillings to Roman tastes, they're a wonderful food for on the go, and they're definitely conducive to being slathered in garum.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Dormouse burrito, anyone?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Slings and spears the most underrepresented weapons in popular culture

That's because people really underestimate fast moving rocks.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

the original rome: total war has an expansion based on him and paradox's imperator is set in 304 BC (so 19 years after his death)

this is not a recommendation for either of those games, I haven't played either

Having played both, I highly recommend total war although it's getting dated. As for imperator, I like it but most people who played EU4 are mad at it for some reason.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One of the most frustrating parts of figuring out the Roman restaurant culture is they had multiple terms (taberna, popina, and thermopolium) but nobody ever clearly determined what each word signified even back then. Some of them were basically wine bars with snacks, some of them sold full meals, some of them were inns that also sold food and drink, some of them were "inns" where the rooms were clearly just meant for prostitutes.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

some of them were "inns" where the rooms were clearly just meant for prostitutes.

I'm curious how you would tell. Spicy wall frescoes, handcuffs, sex toys and a heart shaped stone bed?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

feedmegin posted:

I'm curious how you would tell. Spicy wall frescoes, handcuffs, sex toys and a heart shaped stone bed?

Presumably you build the room differently if you expect someone (or possibly an entire family), with luggage, to be staying the night, as opposed to if you just need to give two people a temporary space to bone in

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

chitoryu12 posted:

One of the most frustrating parts of figuring out the Roman restaurant culture is they had multiple terms (taberna, popina, and thermopolium) but nobody ever clearly determined what each word signified even back then. Some of them were basically wine bars with snacks, some of them sold full meals, some of them were inns that also sold food and drink, some of them were "inns" where the rooms were clearly just meant for prostitutes.

Sounds pretty standard - restaurant, family restaurant, fast food, fast casual, cafe, bistro, diner, donut shop etc etc. We have even more terms with even smaller differences between them.

I'd love to know the difference between a "gastropub," "pub," and "tavern." And once you have your answer finalized, we'll reveal that we're discussing it in a particular geographical location different from the one you were assuming.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

CommonShore posted:

I'd love to know the difference between a "gastropub," "pub," and "tavern." And once you have your answer finalized, we'll reveal that we're discussing it in a particular geographical location different from the one you were assuming.

The price of the beer?

:shrug:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dalael posted:

That's because people really underestimate fast moving rocks.

Or lead for slings. A typical sling bullet has roughly the same kinetic energy as your standard .45 ACP round. There are differences in penetration and obviously a sling bullet isn't designed to explode inside you like a hollowpoint or whatever, but still. You get hit in the head with one of those you're probably toast.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Slings seem to have fallen out of favor in Western Europe for a variety of reasons. Like a sling bullet can kill the gently caress out of you, but the thrower has to be standing up, needs clearance around you, attracts attention.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Phobophilia posted:

Slings seem to have fallen out of favor in Western Europe for a variety of reasons. Like a sling bullet can kill the gently caress out of you, but the thrower has to be standing up, needs clearance around you, attracts attention.

There are reasons. Slings are harder to use than bows and even if you're good with it, they tend to be less accurate. Bows are quicker to shoot if you're practiced. Also, medieval bows and arrows were deadlier than their ancient equivalent. You can't make specialized armor piercing heads or anything like that with a sling. In the ancient world slings and bows had more of a parity, but there's not a ton of technological improvement you can do to a sling compared to what was done with bows.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

There are reasons. Slings are harder to use than bows and even if you're good with it, they tend to be less accurate. Bows are quicker to shoot if you're practiced. Also, medieval bows and arrows were deadlier than their ancient equivalent. You can't make specialized armor piercing heads or anything like that with a sling. In the ancient world slings and bows had more of a parity, but there's not a ton of technological improvement you can do to a sling compared to what was done with bows.

Depleted uranium sling ammo?
Carbon nanofiber weave connected to the Internet of Things that records your sling trajectory and speed so you can analyze your firing?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

mycomancy posted:

Carbon nanofiber weave connected to the Internet of Things that records your sling trajectory and speed so you can analyze your firing?

Next edition of Shadowrun going in an interesting direction I see.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Don Gato posted:

Next edition of Shadowrun going in an interesting direction I see.

Well now I have an idea for an Alexylva University SCP...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I made a sling and threw like 100 rocks out of it and I'm still terrible

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

CommonShore posted:

Facti bonum

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CommonShore posted:

Caesar at least seemed to think better regions produced better slingers than others. I forget which one, but there was some Mediterranean island he praised as having excellent slingers. This suggests to me that slinging is the kind of skill where practicing often from a young age really does produce better results than trying to learn it as an adult.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Caesar at least seemed to think better regions produced better slingers than others. I forget which one, but there was some Mediterranean island he praised as having excellent slingers. This suggests to me that slinging is the kind of skill where practicing often from a young age really does produce better results than trying to learn it as an adult.

The Balearics. They had a big (probably fairly carefully cultivated) reputation for slinging. Vegetius actually claims they invented it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Grand Fromage posted:

This is all true but the single largest cause was probably the Halfling Great Families all moving south through the Pyrenees then across the Straits of Gibraltar in the mid-350s?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 29, 2020

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

mycomancy posted:

Propose it to the Slingshot Channel guy.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

mycomancy posted:

Next, a trebuchet on the moon.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FuturePastNow posted:

Next, a trebuchet on the moon.

a conveyor belt runway

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

feedmegin posted:

Sexy frescoes, penis carvings, graffiti proclaiming "I hosed many girls here", and name plates listing a prostitute's price and the services he or she provides. The stone bed is very basic, in a room the size of a walk-in closet. There are plenty of ways to identify an Ancient Roman brothel.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I like this video because it shows how tricky it is to aim sling shots, even at moderate ranges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDMCVdPwnE

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 29, 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I thought balearic slingers were like Zuba the Sniper. Something Roman soldiers tweaked out over, but didn't actually meet that often.

Schadenboner posted:

This is all true but the single largest cause was probably the Halfling Great Families all moving south through the Pyrenees then across the Straits of Gibraltar in the mid-350s?

I love you.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I don't know if this is a bit outside of the relevant period but after Rome left Britain is there any writing indicating their governance was missed, or that it was a good thing Britain was conquered by the Romans? Or maybe from other medieval European kingdoms?

I know that lots of later European kingdoms claimed decent from Rome but I'm interested specifically in the act of being conquered - the Franks couldn't have been Roman unless they were defeated first!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sri.Theo posted:

I don't know if this is a bit outside of the relevant period but after Rome left Britain is there any writing indicating their governance was missed, or that it was a good thing Britain was conquered by the Romans? Or maybe from other medieval European kingdoms?

I know that lots of later European kingdoms claimed decent from Rome but I'm interested specifically in the act of being conquered - the Franks couldn't have been Roman unless they were defeated first!

The Britons complained a couple of times in the 5th century to the Roman government about how they had been abandoned and were more or less told to shift for themselves. At the time, some of them clearly missed the tax-funded army, at least, if not any other element of the state.

In the mid 6th century Gildas writes with an interesting ambiguity about the Roman past:

quote:

5. For when the rulers of Rome had obtained the empire of the world, subdued all the neighbouring nations and islands towards the east, and strengthened their renown by the first peace which they made with the Parthians, who border on India, there was a general cessation from war throughout the whole world; the fierce flame which they kindled could not be extinguished or checked by the Western Ocean, but passing beyond the sea, imposed submission upon our island without resistance, and entirely reduced to obedience its unwarlike but faithless people, not so much by fire, and sword and warlike engines, like other nations, but threats alone, and menaces of judgments frowning on their countenance, whilst terror penetrated to their hearts.

6. When afterwards they returned to Rome, for want of pay, as is said, and had no suspicion of an approaching rebellion, that deceitful lioness (Boadicea) put to death the rulers who had been left among them, to unfold more fully and to confirm the enterprises of the Romans. When the report of these things reached the senate, and they with a speedy army made haste to take vengeance on the crafty foxes, as they called them, there was no bold navy on the sea to fight bravely for the country; by land there was no marshalled army, no right wing of battle, nor other preparation for resistance; but their backs were their shields against their vanquishers, and they presented their necks to their swords, whilst chill terror ran through every limb, and they stretched out their hands to be bound, like women; so that it has become a proverb far and wide, that the Britons are neither brave in war nor faithful in time of peace.

7. The Romans, therefore, having slain many of the rebels, and reserved others for slaves, that the land might not be entirely reduced to desolation, left the island, destitute as it was of wine and oil, and returned to Italy, leaving behind them taskmasters, to scourge the shoulders of the natives, to reduce their necks to the yoke, and their soil to the vassalage of a Roman province; to chastise the crafty race, not with warlike weapons, but with rods, and if necessary to gird upon their sides the naked sword, so that it was no longer thought to be Britain, but a Roman island; and all their money, whether of copper, gold, or silver, was stamped with Caesar's image.

skasion fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 29, 2020

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

feedmegin posted:

If you click this link (Not a rick roll), it'll bring you straight to the Lupanar one of the most famous brothel in pompeii. This is a pretty nice 4k video so you can clearly see the details of the frescos. There is no mistaking this building for anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUYJ8LbF1Ys&t=2874s

*edit: Had the wrong time stamp selected. Linked the proper one

Dalael fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 29, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I started reading Herodotus and it's pretty lit. There's all sorts of prophecies, people dressing up as gods, lots of tricks and strategies, rumors about who started what, and a lot of arguing about who owns ritual mixing bowls.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Dalael posted:

If you click this link (Not a rick roll), it'll bring you straight to the Lupanar one of the most famous brothel in pompeii. This is a pretty nice 4k video so you can clearly see the details of the frescos. There is no mistaking this building for anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUYJ8LbF1Ys&t=5643s

loving sex tourists... I mean, I'm sure there's some other reason to go to Italy. Not sure what it would be, but :cmon:.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

skasion posted:

The Britons complained a couple of times in the 5th century to the Roman government about how they had been abandoned and were more or less told to shift for themselves. At the time, some of them clearly missed the tax-funded army, at least, if not any other element of the state.

In the mid 6th century Gildas writes with an interesting ambiguity about the Roman past:

this is a cool quote and it really has me wondering what life was like in a place like Wales during the Roman empire and immediate aftermath. Since with mining and all it was obviously pretty integrated to the Roman economy, but presumably almost everybody still spoke proto-Welsh and practiced their own special customs. Just having the empire up-stakes and leave one day must have been a real mindfuck, and I wonder how they went about rebuilding their newly independent society and government.

just looking at Wale's wiki page, here's all they have to say about it

quote:

When the Roman garrison of Britain was withdrawn in 410, the various British states were left self-governing. Evidence for a continuing Roman influence after the departure of the Roman legions is provided by an inscribed stone from Gwynedd dated between the late 5th century and mid 6th century commemorating a certain Cantiorix who was described as a citizen (cives) of Gwynedd and a cousin of Maglos the magistrate (magistratus).[31] There was considerable Irish colonisation in Dyfed in south-west Wales, where there are many stones with Ogham inscriptions.[32] Wales had become Christian, and the "age of the saints" (approximately 500–700) was marked by the establishment of monastic settlements throughout the country, by religious leaders such as Saint David, Illtud and Teilo.[33]

edit:

quote:

The exact origins and extent of the early kingdoms are speculative. The conjectured minor kings of the sixth century held small areas within a radius of perhaps 24 km (15 mi), probably near the coast.
dang that's an impressive level of territorial splintering. No wonder Gildas was so pissed at the British leaders of his era. If England was similarly divided it must have felt like one of those modern day civil wars where warlords rise up everywhere and tear everything apart. No wonder they got stomped by the Saxons.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A lot of the tragic stories in Herodotus, with the benefit of distance, are actually hilarious.

A particularly good one is that the Spartans and the Argives decided to pick 300 men from each side to fight a battle between them. In the end, only one Spartan and two Argives were still standing. The Argives, deciding that they had won, ran home to deliver news of their victory. The Spartan stripped the dead of their belongings and made a pile of spoils. So that when both the Argives and the Spartans came back to the place, they found that both sides thought they had won the battle. The two delegations then started fighting, and in the end the Spartans won, but when it came time to go home the Spartan survivor of the first bout was so ashamed at having survived both battles when his whole company died that he killed himself.

Now is this true? Probably the particulars are not accurate, but it's plausible in the general outline and it's told well.

Same for the sailing crew who threw their wealthy master overboard and sailed off to sell his riches. Herodotus says that a dolphin carried him to shore and that when the magistrate confronted the crew when they returned he confronted them over their lies. Is this true, well putting aside the dolphin story as fantasy rightly or wrongly, the broad outlines are completely plausible.