Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

matt should play postal 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
he needs to play Morrowind

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

A Russian troll farm posted:

I'm really enjoying Matt's new gnostic syncretic philosophy. I've had the notion recently that capital is basically the same thing as the gnostic idea of the demiurge. A blind, malevolent idiot god that created and directs this fallen realm. An emergent phenomenon created from the collective activity and decisions of millions of people, but taking on an agency of its own that is apart from the desires of the owners of capital, and subordinating them to it its own will. But there is no "it". It's a nothing, just an outline of a thing. It isn't the numbers in the computers on Wall Street. It isn't even the collective will of the bourgeoisie. It's a metaphysical non-being brought into "being" by the market system, which nevertheless controls the world as though it were an actually existing dark god. We are all slaves to Armok, the God of Blood.

ironically Zero HP Lovecraft came to this same conclusion even though he's a far-right mystic and, iirc, anti-gnostic

NotNut has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Apr 29, 2020

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
There's a drat CHEETO in the White House!

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Xaris posted:

sort of. cspam is better mostly. cspam gets a lot of poo poo from other subs but imo cspam is by far the least clique-ishly of all forums and most welcoming (as long as they aren't a holy righteous scolding D&D lanyard lib) and i genuinely like almost all the posters.

LF started off as a ron paul primary containment and then devolved into unironic weird patriarchyfascist maoist third worlders like babyfinland. there was also uh, quite a bit more r- and f- word used liberally (although i don't really mind either way but it was def a much more unfriendly culture). there were some really good effort threads at the time, but i don't think effortthreads really fit cspam that much given the times we live in--although we do have a few good ones but they're more like hobbyist/history effortthreads.

for it's time it was good when the zeitgeist was MORE WARS IN MIDDLE EAST and all you had was loving Daily Show with internet mostly being jingoistic hoo-rah neoliberalism/capitalism good, south park ~independent thinker~ lolbertarians, and NPR pearl clutching libs everywhere.

but yeah there's a lf goldmine which probably has the better ones.

I wrote this piece about laissez-faire a couple of years back and it's since gone through some sort of strange journey and has been cited by at least one academic study and one book draft* that I am aware of. It's not the whole story but it's a pretty good summary.

* gave the author of that book something of an interview over Twitter yesterday

quote:

9-11 was really the start of this communities political consciousness and D&D was originally created to move political discussions out of GBS. In the very early days D&D was actually fairly right leaning, with a strong libertarian contingent and a small (and mostly outclassed at the time) left-ish contingent. (Not terribly left at all by current standards with the exception of a few teenage communists). The first cracks of leftism really started in the I/P threads (which were like 15% of the board back then), but the real first rivulets of leftism started in the wake of Bush Jr's endless fuckups as well as the disaster of the Iraq war. We Goons supported our troops back then and I can recall at least one rather successful charity drive wherein we bought a bunch of used kevlar and shipped it over to a unit (which I believe had several Goons but don't quote me on that) who then used it to up-armor their humvees against IED's. Goons had gradually soured on the GOP and Republicanism in general and and by about 2005 Republicanism had started to become a dying breed here. By about 2006 or so there was an emerging struggle between leftism and Libertarianism- with Libertarian ideas holding a distinct edge.

2007 is when things started to get really interesting. Libertarianism had actually been the closest thing to a dominant ideology on the board for about a year or so at that point but the advent of the Ron Paul Revolution pretty much brought about the downfall of Libertarinism. The sub-forum "Laissez-fair" (hereafter referred to as "LF") was created in part to dump all the lovely Ron Paul threads into one place and the relaxed ruleset was in part meant to mock Libertarian ideas. The early days of LF were pretty much the decisive war between Libertarianism and leftism in this community. The endless fuckups of Ron Paul and the endless hilarity of how blatantly he scammed his supporters resulted in a decisive route of Libertarian posters. The McCain Toxx thread was the finishing blow on Libertarian posters in this community but the mortal one had already long been struck at that point.

Once Libetarianism had been routed off the board something rather unique in Internet history happened- an event I have never personally witnessed the like of since or before. (Nor do I expect to.) The victorious leftist posters took the occasion to fill LF with some of the finest effortposts this community has ever produced. If there was truly a "golden age" of effortpositng in this community, it was this 2nd phase of LF. Poster HidingFromGoro for example almost singlehandedly changed the entire boards views on the American penal system and was pretty much responsible for making the forum woke to LE corruption/violence. The entire community noticeably shifted leftward over the course of the next year as leftist ideas were discussed in a very patient way by exceedingly knowledgeable Goons and activists. A dearth of knowledge was absorbed by the community and the conversations evolved at a very rapid pace.

However eventually hivemind rot set in at LF and thus was the third and final age of that notorious subforum. LF had started to become insular and antagonistic to the rest of the community- no was sufficiently left/no one was raging enough about whatever-cause-of-the-moment-had-LF-screaming today. Eventually LF become isolated and then simply cut off for being too much loving trouble to deal with. (I believe the FBI served more than one warrant for poster records as a result of various poo poo LF said/did.) The LF hardcore split off and are (I believe) still in existence as some sort of wierd cultish group that unironically believes in full communisn now. (I really don't care enough to look, but that was essentially their fate as of ~5 years or so ago).

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Someone needs to force Matt to play Papers Please.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

ive just realised that weirdly i worked my way backwards. so i started on twitter, got an invite for rhizzone, and found somethingawful/c-spam from there. yet its only tonight i actually read some LF posts lol. maybe next week i will discover MSN messenger.

the rhizzone is good btw, i don't post on there as much but it has some great threads.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

NotNut posted:

ironically Zero HP Lovecraft came to this same conclusion even though he's a far-right mystic and, iirc, anti-gnostic

its kinda the nick land nightmare marxism thing except you dont have to convince yourself that the bourgeoisie are gonna become posthuman AI geniuses

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gh0stpinballa posted:

ive just realised that weirdly i worked my way backwards. so i started on twitter, got an invite for rhizzone, and found somethingawful/c-spam from there.

holy poo poo lol

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A Russian troll farm posted:

I'm really enjoying Matt's new gnostic syncretic philosophy. I've had the notion recently that capital is basically the same thing as the gnostic idea of the demiurge. A blind, malevolent idiot god that created and directs this fallen realm. An emergent phenomenon created from the collective activity and decisions of millions of people, but taking on an agency of its own that is apart from the desires of the owners of capital, and subordinating them to it its own will. But there is no "it". It's a nothing, just an outline of a thing. It isn't the numbers in the computers on Wall Street. It isn't even the collective will of the bourgeoisie. It's a metaphysical non-being brought into "being" by the market system, which nevertheless controls the world as though it were an actually existing dark god. We are all slaves to Armok, the God of Blood.

this is basically just Nick Land's accelerationism, except he destroyed his brain with amphetamines so thinks all this stuff is Good

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i say swears online posted:

holy poo poo lol

i know, completely rear end backwards. still at least i made it here and i'm ready to own some libs and talk some mao 😎

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

people are not talking about the rhizzone to cspam pipeline, and folks, its dangerous

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

gh0stpinballa posted:

ive just realised that weirdly i worked my way backwards. so i started on twitter, got an invite for rhizzone, and found somethingawful/c-spam from there. yet its only tonight i actually read some LF posts lol. maybe next week i will discover MSN messenger.

the rhizzone is good btw, i don't post on there as much but it has some great threads.

You've been reading lf all along. Rhizzone is lf

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i don't know if twitter would finally be the perfect environment for my full posting power or if i'll end up dead after a six day binge where i forget to drink water

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

CestMoi posted:

this is basically just Nick Land's accelerationism, except he destroyed his brain with amphetamines so thinks all this stuff is Good

I'm gonna lol if matt ends up owning himself into creating a sad brains version of the Cult of the Supreme Being. Absolutely humiliating. He should not have rejected Jesus Christ as his lord and savior. Sad, really...

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

cool dance moves posted:

I'm gonna lol if matt ends up owning himself into creating a sad brains version of the Cult of the Supreme Being. Absolutely humiliating. He should not have rejected Jesus Christ as his lord and savior. Sad, really...

Matt mind is so broken that I don't want to have any contact with it. watching or listening to him is too much, speaking to people who've watched to listened to him is bad but bearable

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i found cspam by following the cool guys home after they had come into the unironic malthusian-nihilist cuck zone that is the D&D climate change thread to make fun of sad boys.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

oh sure, i got that i just wasn't around for the original one on here and they don't like to talk SA on rhizzone. in fact for a while i wasn't sure if their LF board was supposed to be a pisstake of SA or a continuation of it but it all makes sense now.

either way the syria thread on there is superb.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

God Hole posted:

i found cspam by following the cool guys home after they had come into the unironic malthusian-nihilist cuck zone that is the D&D climate change thread to make fun of sad boys.

C-SPAM isn't the best place to discuss politics but it is definitely the funniest place about politics

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uber_stoat posted:

long ago I found a photo of a big group of people who attended Weev's trial to support him and it was just a rogue's gallery of ostensibly lefty media people. can't remember who else was in there besides Crabapple and now I can't find the photo. I feel like Justine Tunney was in there.

If you ever find it can you post it

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tunny famously called herself a friend of weev well after he fled the country. she said her friendship with him left him a lifeline from a life of embittered psychotic rage lol owned

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

specifically rhizzone's the lf posters who weren't nutbars. they all went to wddp/postplace/postgarden/wherever slashie is currently busy yelling at people

Prester Jane posted:

I wrote this piece about laissez-faire a couple of years back and it's since gone through some sort of strange journey and has been cited by at least one academic study and one book draft* that I am aware of. It's not the whole story but it's a pretty good summary.

* gave the author of that book something of an interview over Twitter yesterday

i dunno if i'd agree with that last part. lf sealed their fate by expanding their focus from lovely public figures to lovely posters, but it was essentially invaded by the first wave of tumblr narcissists and fyad posters upset that they were no longer the popular forums clique both of which just poo poo up the place nonstop the last year or so of its existence

The Muppets On PCP has issued a correction as of 02:10 on Apr 29, 2020

THS
Sep 15, 2017

im gay

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

God Hole posted:

greetings :hfive:

that thread is real bad. Rime is cool tho. D&D neolibs love to throw the word malthusian around a lot bc it makes them feel smart even tho their ideology is malthusian by nature and don't like to be reminded that the status quo is in itself thereby

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

uber_stoat posted:

long ago I found a photo of a big group of people who attended Weev's trial to support him and it was just a rogue's gallery of ostensibly lefty media people. can't remember who else was in there besides Crabapple and now I can't find the photo. I feel like Justine Tunney was in there.

That might have been pre-swastika tattoo era.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

gh0stpinballa posted:

oh sure, i got that i just wasn't around for the original one on here and they don't like to talk SA on rhizzone. in fact for a while i wasn't sure if their LF board was supposed to be a pisstake of SA or a continuation of it but it all makes sense now.

either way the syria thread on there is superb.

I thought you came here from drowned in sound?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i dunno if i'd agree with that last part. lf sealed their fate by expanding their focus from lovely public figures to lovely posters, but it was essentially invaded by the first wave of tumblr narcissists and fyad posters upset that they were no longer the popular forums clique both of which just poo poo up the place nonstop the last year or so of its existence

Yeah, honestly there is more to the last part then my summary implies, but imo it reasonably sums up the overall community perspective/impact of those events- granted it does completely gloss over the internal ideological conflict that resulted in LF lashing out at the rest of the forums.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

NotNut posted:

I know this is Leslie Lee iii's interpretation of Lovecraft, but I don't see Lovecraft personally thinking that way.

Lovecraft personally seemed mostly freaked out over the fact that he realized race was a social construct, but refused to stop being racist.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Atrocious Joe posted:

I know this is Leslie Lee iii's interpretation of Lovecraft, but I don't see Lovecraft personally thinking that way.

Lovecraft personally seemed mostly freaked out over the fact that he realized race was a social construct, but refused to stop being racist.

Zero HP Lovecraft is a Twitter poster

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

NotNut posted:

What an @!

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, the subforum passed out of all knowledge.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

NotNut posted:

i read one of his short stories and i t was pretty good and i was incredibly disappointed to find out that hes just a groyper dumbass

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

NotNut posted:

https://twitter.com/0x49fa98/status/1254746716659748865?s=20
https://twitter.com/0x49fa98/status/1254753744195129344?s=20

this dude just seems regular racist

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

What does he call his cat?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
thanks for the last two pages lol

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tedious mystic bullshit from cape wearing genre fiction fandom dorks

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Odinists are some of the dumbest people I've ever met or interacted with as a pagan.

Because theres no such thing as an Odinist in Old Norse.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For these guys the costume is the culture

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Tedious mystic bullshit from cape wearing genre fiction fandom dorks

yeah matt's ig streams are getting a little out of hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

attributing mystic properties to capital while not adhering to messianic revolutionary beliefs is low-tier reactionary error

if you are getting at that point, go all the loving way into communard mysticism