Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

lol is the image for the internet al gore, that's pretty good

this update has some fantastic icons.

I think that was in the original game, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Hunter Noventa posted:

I think that was in the original game, actually.

As was Kremlin being obsolete by fiber optics, as it happens.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Flappy Bert posted:

As was Kremlin being obsolete by fiber optics, as it happens.
Holy poo poo, really? That's even more baffling to me if it's official.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Did I see a curling rink as a building under one of the sports techs? That's really awesome that they included the best sport but they really included everything. Must be a Canadian on the dev team.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Jossar's Playthrough - Information 3

No, this isn’t the Lunar colonization tech, we’ve got a while to go before that. Lunar Bases is exactly what it sounds like, the tech that lets you establish bases on the Moon so that you can go and settle it properly later.

The goal is to send these construction ships to establish Lunar Bases/Outposts and the occasional mining base. These outputs are supposed to be not-quite cities and even project influence, though only for the square they’re on.

Asteroid Belt Probes sets up the development part of the rest of the Information Era’s space phase economy. Your Solar Sail Worker can now go over to asteroids and convert into a Captured Asteroid unit. This one has to be manually dragged around, unlike many of the other reward units, but that’s because it can be placed as terrain in space in addition to its terrestrial function.

Asteroid Mining lets you upgrade Space Stations to level 3 via Heavy Rockets, and convert those Heavy Rockets to Level 3 Space Station Mission Rewards. It also enables both the space based and terrestrial functions of Captured Asteroids. The space one is just building a worker improvement in space on top of the placed asteroid. As for the Earth version, you drag the Captured Asteroid over to your cities and turn it into a science building…

And once that’s enabled, the Mission Rewards can be used to create mines which provide resources as if they were in the city surroundings directly and also provide a bunch of hammers. You can only do this a certain number of times based on the number of cities you have, but might as well try to get as many asteroids as you can.

I realized that there’s a tech which needs a Uranus mission reward sometime later in the era, so might as well show off the last planet while grabbing it. There might be a few exploration things near the very end, but we’re mostly done with space for the rest of the Era.

There are a lot of biological techs which are researched offscreen, dealing with health, science, and disease control. Genomic Encyclopedia is the capstone and also provides this wonder which boosts food yields everywhere.

Superstring Theory is a relatively tame tech that comes with The Theory of Everything, a World Project which provides a MASSIVE 25% Science in all cities.

I said that the Information Era was where the anti-pollution stuff really starts ramping up, and here we go. Ecological Engineering has a lot of buildings like Ecoscrapers and Carbon Taxes that clean up the atmosphere. I don’t know if you need it because Water Pollution is generally less prevalent than Air Pollution, but there’s also a building here with a ton of Water Pollution reduction that will probably be more than you need for a while as long as the game’s calculating it properly.

Online Communities and one or two other techs deal with Web 2.0 stuff. Again mostly dealing with learning and culture, though some wealth generation exists here too. It also comes with the first of the Human Mods, which function as mini-cultures mechanically and represent fundamental changes in the human condition. I think this one’s a little silly, but the later ones definitely fit the concept.

Wikipedia (/ˌwɪkɪˈpiːdiə/ wik-ih-PEE-dee-ə or /ˌwɪkiˈpiːdiə/ wik-ee-PEE-dee-ə) (abbreviation: "WP") is a free tech/learning World Wonder. I use it to grab Metamaterials, which is either a setup for future industry or the mod throwing out a ton of resources again. Definitely a sign that we’re getting close to being entirely in the future on all fronts. I think that point of realization is a good place to stop the update.

(Techs not mentioned: Cloning, Biomaterials, Genetic Biochemistry, Unmanned Naval Vehicles, Bioinformatics, Biomathematics, Molecular Medicine, War Simulations, Digitization, Imaginary Physics, Controlled Plasma)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 28, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wikipedia should give you an incorrect technology but that’s a limitation of mods I guess.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Banemaster posted:

Tattoos cause crime and instability (rebellions?)...

It makes about as much sense as the karaoke club and comedy club buildings causing crime

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Holy poo poo, really? That's even more baffling to me if it's official.

Well it gives you a bonus to rush production via gold or slavery, so presumably the idea is that "Kremlin" represents old methods of forced labor that get obsoleted by technological planning. Or it's shallow 'USSR bad computer country.'

persopolis
Mar 9, 2017

Flappy Bert posted:

Well it gives you a bonus to rush production via gold or slavery, so presumably the idea is that "Kremlin" represents old methods of forced labor that get obsoleted by technological planning. Or it's shallow 'USSR bad computer country.'

Very ironic, considering a lot of the groundwork for our modern computerized planning was laid by soviet scientists. Granted, they were heavily repressed by Stalin, but they made great strides, especially under Kruschev.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

In Civ 4 and earlier, a lot of wonders get obsoleted on fairly arbitrary grounds, so it's not unusual. The devs were not making any sort of meta commentary, but on perceived balance issues or the felt need to make wonders "fade" as society advances. This is a philosophy that has been largely abandoned in newer Civ games, because wonders there rarely, if ever, go obsolete. The effects may diminish in comparison to latter wonders but they remain useful the entire game.

Edit: I should say that built wonders rarely go obsolete. You can't decide to build things like the Great Pyramids if you advance to the Renaissance, so in that sense it's still obsoleted if they remain unclaimed.

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 28, 2020

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I note that internet ads are things you can build now. Unless they are a crime building, which would be more appropriate.

Also that quote from the Planetary Resources CEO guy? That's a real quote, by a real person from a real company, it failed completely and got bought out by a bitcoin investment fund.

Yeah.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Wikipedia should have a gold% penalty since the web site never has enough money :v:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Jossar's Playthrough - Information 4

Machine Learning brings with it our first non-alternate timeline Robot unit, the Walker Robot. Not to be confused with the Mechs/Assault Mechs that will show up later. Frankly speaking it’s kinda weak for this point in the game: I have a Dreadnought type Electric Tank somewhere with 140 strength. Maybe if you bunched them up together the superior mobility and ability to ignore Building/City Defenses would help, but even the city defense units of the Information Era have way more power than this.

Also since people asked the ad building is a Digital Advertising Firm, a generic building which provides culture and wealth.

Direct Merchandising is codeword for “blockchain”. One of the other buildings here is literally a Blockchain Authenticator and then you have this finance building. I mentioned in a previous update that I was setting up for a punchline and here it is: we can’t switch over to blockchain based financial services because everyone refuses to stop investing in gold.

Personalized Health comes with a few more improvements to the healer promotion lines, some medical devices straight out of Star Trek and Fallout, and the Cure for Cancer. A friendly little wonder that improves health everywhere along with your own civilization.

Biomechanical Harvesting is useful for this very large hammer building. Pay attention to the Epsilon Assembler as we shall be seeing its relatives for Eras to come.

Now computers and microgenerators are present everywhere. I really just wanted to show this one off for the inherently glow in the dark clothing, a feature which has shown up several times and whose supply chain and further development are demonstrative of the miscellaneous little touches that goes into the mod in some places.

This one gets in purely because it encouraged me to look up what 4D printing was: 3D printing, but the materials automatically transform themselves based on some external stimulus, possibly right as the materials come out of the printer. I suppose the mod’s finally achieved its job of encouraging me to broaden my intellectual horizons.

Jovian Exploration isn’t anything too transformative from what we’ve seen earlier in this era, but you need it as a prerequisite to the space-stuff for next era and it lets you explore the Outer Solar System in greater detail. Here’s two more moons:

Europa

Titan

Graphene Alloys aren’t technically required to get to the next era, but there’s so many techs which have it as a requirement that it’s basically mandatory.

Virtual Society comes with Online, a civic that’s finally worth switching out our Religious schooling civic for. I’ll take a pass on Technocracy though.

Yeah, I think we’ve beat this dead horse for the last time. Some of the other buildings here concern hammers and even geothermal energy although I don’t quite have the materials to harness that yet.

I’m kinda disappointed with the late stage water game. I mean even if there was still an actual game here and not just an interactive sandbox. Marine Architecture allows for a few improvements, but many of these buildings just require a coast and no actual engagement with the terrain. Combined with the fact that Workboats (well Workrobots now) still exhaust themselves when building the best improvements, the presence of factories that have or will duplicate the ocean resources internal to cities, and the fact that the water is the one place still vulnerable to the occasional Barbarian attack and there’s really no reason to bother with a lot of it.

Replacement Organs consolidates a lot of old meat-based buildings, adds some new factories, and most importantly is the final tech before Nanotech Lifestyle. There’s a few more techs left in the era but they can be put off, especially as Nanotech will finally be giving us the chance to put more in space than just a few tile improvements.

(Techs not mentioned: Media Psychology, Quantum Teleportation, Organic Photonics, Microwave Weaponry, Railgun, Coilgun, Augmented Reality, Brain Machine Interface, Autonomous Vehicles, Megacities)

Most of the Information Era was just better/cleaner versions of what we could already do. Even at its most unhinged, the enterprises are at least being considered today, even if overly ambitious futurists and billionaires are jumping the gun on technological feasibility. Starting in the Nanotech Era things are going to start getting progressively… wackier.

I was debating whether to submit it to a vote as to whether I should go and investigate things in much greater scrutiny from the Nanotech Era onwards. In the end I have decided against it generally, at least unless/until there’s a point where most of the techs are only useful as description or the thread collectively objects. I’ll never finish if I have to wade through each individual unit ripping off Star Wars or Battletech or Warhammer 40k. I will start adding some of the more bonkers individualized unit/building/tech descriptions though. And the start of Nanotech is going to be pretty dense as is.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 29, 2020

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Greater Scrutiny, please.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think what you're doing now with some general descriptions of how the era is playing and any new mechanics work is fine. It's too bad none of your neighbors remotely kept up tech wise so you could at least see how some of the military stuff actually plays.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 23, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Native America minor civ alongside the Iroquois is weird.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Is there large number of "[species] Feather" and "[species] Leather", or is Ostrich just a special case?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Banemaster posted:

Is there large number of "[species] Feather" and "[species] Leather", or is Ostrich just a special case?

It's just for ostrich which is honestly kind of strange considering how many superfluous resources are in the mod

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

This flew under the radar during the modern era updates but there's an entire class of alt-history units that don't require one of the -punk techs to make, post-apocalyptic units that are unlocked by researching guerilla warfare. As a whole the units are the highest forms of the non-gunpowder units and can be built in any city that lacks special resources (or connections to the outside in general) provided that you've researched their tech first. They aren't intended to be used outside of a situation where your cities are nuked to hell and back or possibly as the main units in a yet to be made post-apocalyptic scenario. The theme here is that the post-apocalyptic units are all as good as or slightly better than their equivalent medieval era units and require no or few special resources to build. They all upgrade to renaissance era units provided that the player acquires the required resources and rebuilds the needed buildings. The urban crossbowman, machete warrior, wrench warrior, and hatchet warrior all upgrade to musketmen and the molotov cocktail thrower upgrades to either the grenadier or ancient flamethrower. The crowbar guard upgrades to the marshal but is notably worse than its equivalent medieval era unit due to it not having any crime reduction effect. The urban horseman and giraffe urban rider upgrade to the cuirassier and giraffe cuirassier. The cavalry requires iron wares and their respective animals while the molotov cocktail thrower is ludicrously resource-intensive and requires one of each from the following two sets of resources, whale oil or kerosene and alcohol, tar, olive oil, fish oil, or ghee oil. Notably, the lack of an appropriate post-apocalyptic model for the giraffe urban rider is due to the fact that without a culture group to grant them unique models all the giraffe units in the mod share the same model.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 29, 2020

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Once more the american post-apocalypse proofs itself unable to imagine the existence of bicycles.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VictualSquid posted:

Once more the american post-apocalypse proofs itself unable to imagine the existence of bicycles.

But bicycles are boring!

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Cythereal posted:

But bicycles are boring!

Also not easy to produce and notably unsuited for wasteland tracking (i'm talking about basic-rear end bicycles, not special mountain ones)

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

Bikes might work for dragoons, I suppose. Or maybe if people train to bike from a young age you could have bike-mounted archers, or something.

That said, speaking as someone who bikes daily (or did before the pandemic), bikes have a number of drawbacks horses don't. Would you really want to make a charge from bikeback? I wouldn't. Also wouldn't want to bike around on grass, the few times I've tried it have been unpleasant experiences. Where would you find a lasting supply of parts to repair bikes in a post-apocalyptic setting, or to build new ones?

Also, if you have a surplus of horses, you can change from a tired horse to a fresh one, and be able to ride longer/further. Can't exactly do that with a bike.

e: beaten re offroading and making new bikes.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Using a handgun from a bicycle might be possible but I'm not so sure about a lance.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm kinda sad that the hatchet warrior isn't a juggalo, missed opportunity.

I also wouldn't do anything from bikeback, when charging on a horse, the horse is self stabilizing and helped by its own mass, same for charging infantry, a bike is light and doesn't self stabilize. Even the recoil from a bow could gently caress up your balance.

Although bikes have been used to move large amounts of infantry from one point to another, a number of D-day units in the latter waves had bikes, I remember pictures of Canadian landing craft full of bikes that infantry would use to get closer to the frontline faster.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Bicycle infantry were also used in the first world war and the Boer war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_infantry

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Regallion posted:

Also not easy to produce and notably unsuited for wasteland tracking (i'm talking about basic-rear end bicycles, not special mountain ones)
"not easy to produce", in comparision to how horses are easy to find in bombed out modern cities?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Poil posted:

Using a handgun from a bicycle might be possible but I'm not so sure about a lance.

One of the campus police officers at my grad school got into a shootout with a bike thief while they were both on bikes. Neither of them managed to hit the other.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Poil posted:

Actual military bicycle units fight as dragoons, just like ski troops. Actually those two generally get closer to the fighting before dismounting then horse dragoons did.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Jossar's Playthrough – Nanotech 1

Welcome to the future. The real future.

For my free tech I pick up Advanced Environmental Systems, which allows us to put full scale cities in Cislunar space as well as provide those cities with a series of buildings which help further our space based development.

Here’s a sample Cislunar City – it is quite literally graphics-wise, a city in space. It turns out that it also comes with our State Religion automatically so I guess we do get to spread Andeanism to the stars.

Here’s the buildings that the Cislunar Cities get to build. The Orbital Factory is the most important one to build first because it’s what allows you to build Lunar Settlers. Well sort of, technically you only need an Orbital Factory to exist somewhere and then you can transform Heavy Rockets into Lunar Settlers at a Space Station without doing anything involving the Cislunar City. They’ll be better at the space settling job soon enough, but it’s faster at this point to just have my Moon settlers come directly from Earth.

Fusion obsoletes most of the earlier forms of power generation. It also grants us several upgrades and our first Assault Mech unit.

Yeah, even without actively trying I’m still finding rip offs. It’s going to get increasingly common at this point for the game at this point, although it was fairly common even earlier and we just missed a lot of said units because they were unimportant in terms of actual usage. It’s a decent enough hybrid of tank strength/blitz, infantry mobility, and anti-air capacity.

As an actual tech, Nano-Architecture is kind of so-so. But I really like the way the Megatower is done thematically. It’s a skyscraper that’s so big that after constructing the generalized building you unlock each of its individual floors/districts as a building.

Here we go folks. I convert all of my Heavy Rockets to Lunar Settlers and send them to found cities on the Moon.

These first cities have to be founded on top of Lunar Outposts, so it’s a good thing we went and took the time to build those earlier.

The Lunar build order is kind of torturous. You get two buildings to start with and those unfurl into a lot of other buildings in sequential stages. Unlike most of the other places we’ve settled/will settle this update, the moon colony buildings take a long time to build. The money pile actually takes a significant dent in getting these guys up to the point of true self-sustainability.

I also build a couple of Supply Ships and send them up to the Moon. These allow for the construction of several storage facilities useful for accelerating lunar city development. They can also become space bulldozers.

Well, I mean we gotta build roads to the mines somehow, right?

Lunar Manufacturing dumps even more Moon buildings, more types of tile improvements, and lets you build the Lunar Bulldozers locally. You also get access to a Lunar defense unit, though I have no idea how to build it yet.

What, already?

After the whole process of building up the Moon before developing it, you just get to settle cities on Mars and Venus (well the Venusian cities are more shoving a self contained platform somewhere on top of the clouds where the settlers won’t immediately die). But besides their respective automatically built housing, the Martian cities only get four buildings at this point and the Venusian cities only get one. And the tile improvement resembles the earliest parts of the Moon colonization process rather than the system currently in place. I think they’re trying to go for the idea that the development curve is roughly the same, but the Cislunar and Moon settling process taught you how to put a fully contained city anywhere, even if we don’t have the technology to build anything nearly as complex on Mars and especially Venus.

Moving on, the planets are finally far enough away from Earth and the Cislunar Cities sufficiently developed that they can take over the role of colonization while Earth builds Construction Ships that start building Martian/Venusian tile improvements.

I just put down a few cities on Venus and call it a day. It’s going to get a lot less love than Mars for a while yet, representing the immense difficulty in settling it. These cities are really just here to build their solar arrays and slowly grow.

Mars is more complicated, partially because its terrain is less uniform than Venus and you want to try and secure access to at least some ice/permafrost. My settlement pattern is going to be something of a zig-zag to balance this and having complete control of the planet.

I’ve mentioned before that the techs used to be a bit differently arranged, based on my admittedly rusty knowledge from a previous playthrough. I bring this up now for two reasons: first, this feels surprisingly fast compared to last time? I feel like there used to be more Nanotech prerequisites between the various colonization stages so you didn't go from 0-100 like we did this update. Second, this is about the point where I gave up the last time I played as I figured that the rest of the game was going to just be more of this at higher levels of technological sophistication. So I’m just going to warn you that while I have a general idea of what’s coming throughout the rest of the game, I may have to wrestle with the exact mechanics at some points.

(Techs not mentioned: Powered Exoskeleton, Mass Driver)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 29, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Years of playing idle games makes me irked to see numbers of more than 5 or 6 digits not truncated in some way for ease of visibility and display.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Definitely feels like at this point it's just Civ...IN SPACE!!!! which amounts to a change in the tileset.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I have a question: can we Dyson Sphere our Sun?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Seraphic Neoman posted:

I have a question: can we Dyson Sphere our Sun?

Given a long enough time horizon, if there is a project you can think of that involves engineering, no matter the scale, we will eventually be able to do it in-game.

Okay, I might be underestimating the inventiveness of the human mind here. But nevertheless, you are still thinking too small.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dyson spheres are for babies. The real answer is that we rip a hole into another dimension that is pure energy and harvest it to power our society. :pcgaming:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Grapplejack posted:

Dyson spheres are for babies. The real answer is that we rip a hole into another dimension that is pure energy and harvest it to power our society. :pcgaming:

I mean, we already have them pulling from Macross for units.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think they literally just copy and pasted from the battletech wiki entry for that power armor unit.

Grapplejack posted:

Do you want demons on Mars? Because that's how you get demons on Mars.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Might make an opposition faction adding a little spice and excitement to the game.

You know what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

paragon1 posted:

I think they literally just copy and pasted from the battletech wiki entry for that power armor unit.

Do you want demons on Mars? Because that's how you get demons on Mars.

Yeah that's Battletech, they even mention Clan Wolf in the background text

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 29, 2020