Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Meow Meow Meow posted:

All done the jewelry cabinet. Very very happy with how it turned out.

Wow :eyepop: it looks great open

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simble
May 11, 2004

Holy poo poo...

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Leperflesh posted:

IMO it ought to be illegal to sell hydrofluoric acid to consumers. It's nicknamed "bone-seeking acid" for a reason. I'd sooner throw out that furniture than resort to it.

Strongly recommend using any other product preferentially. If you do use this stuff, you must take extreme precautions to ensure it never has any chance of getting on anyone's skin, and also be very careful about ventilation; and don't store it anywhere where it could someday accidentally be spilled, or be accessed by anyone including adults who might not fully understand and respect the dangers of HF.

If you check wikipedia for "hydrofluoric acid burn" you'll get some gruesome photos and some more info. Also do feel free to ask about it in the dangerous chemistry thread where it comes up rather frequently.
Thanks for the info. I guess I figured if they sell it on the shelf at walmart it can't be that bad? But oven cleaner and lye are pretty nasty too. I've always worn heavy chemical resistant gloves and goggles when I've used it, but I didn't know it was as nasty as it apparently is. The MSDS confirms it is a 1-2.5% solution of hydrofuloric acid.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

:eyepop: :five: :eyepop:

Holy smokes that is really gorgeous in design and execution. I love the red felt/baize with the maple on the interior-it reminds of red and gold lacquerwork and I love that stuff.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, that is a serious work of art. Awesome job, well done!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Dude. Just....:discourse:

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Holy poo poo :five:

That's a bookmatched veneer on the doors, I'm assuming?

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Gat dang, dude, that's amazing! I did have a moment where I wondered where you found a burl that big.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Thanks everyone. Yes it's a 4 way matched veneer for the door front. My wife picked out the red suede for the interior as this is for her, I thought it would be too in your face but now that it's in I'm glad she went with the red.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That's so badass

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Meow Meow Meow posted:

JFC, that's some seriously good work.

Don't ever let my wife see that...

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I hope this is for your wife or something because holy poo poo

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You'll have to put some expensive jewels in there to match the value of that cabinet itself. drat.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Meow Meow Meow posted:

How’d you do those images?

I’d love to do some poo poo like this one day.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

They posted a brief bit about their marquetry work a few weeks back I think.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Alright, here's my quick little marquetry tutorial. One of the main things I wished I knew before I had ever started was that it's super easy to cut by hand and you don't need a scrollsaw. A lot of guides recommend a scrollsaw, and if you don't have a really nice one it will make it frustrating. My first few attempts were using a crappy $20 used scroll saw and it made things harder than they really are.

There's the post.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

I. M. Gei posted:

They did a writeup of the process fairly recently; just search the thread for their posts.

e:f;b

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Yeah this was for my wife for our five year anniversary (only one month late!), it's replacing the one I built for our engagement 7 years ago when I just started woodworking.

Here's pics of the old cabinet, I'm going to rehang this one low to the ground for my daughters (3 and 2) to use. They will abuse it, but I didn't account for wood movement when I built it and it's started to rip itself apart so I'm interested to see how it holds up.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Echoing the compliments - that’s really beautiful work.

On the other hand I think the internet may have broken me because my second thought looking at the birds was ‘they need googly eyes’. I’m sorry.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Amazing.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Echoing the compliments - that’s really beautiful work

On the other hand I think the internet may have broken me because my second thought looking at but the birds need googly eyes’. I’m sorry.

adulterated

New thread title please

Zoroaster
Jan 25, 2012

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

JFC, that's some seriously good work.

Don't ever let my wife see that...

Seriously. Looks amazing, the time it must've taken to get the bird inlays done must've been insane.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Meow Meow Meow posted:

code:
This is a wooden jewelry chest. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with walnut, maple, and seashells. This object menaces with spikes of brass.
On the item is an image of birds in maple, walnut, and seashell.  

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I need to make a little surround for this cabinet I bought so it’ll fit in a space I’ve got for it. What wood do y’all think this is? I’m leaning toward walnut but I’m a big idiot about this. I’m guessing the cabinet is from around 1850-1880 based on the square nails and saw marks, if that helps.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
From the grain, I'd be inclined to say oak, maybe? Except for those drawer fronts.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

From the grain, I'd be inclined to say oak, maybe? Except for those drawer fronts.

Yeah that is definitely oak. The drawer fronts look like birds eye, could be oak or maple, hard to tell from the aged stain.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Yeah, not worried about the fronts, just need to match the case of it. I'll order some oak. Thanks!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm 99% sure it's black walnut, and those panels are likely also burl walnut. Cut a little sliver/scratch off the inside of on the door styles or somewhere-if it's brown under the finish, it's definitely walnut. There's alot of that late 19th C Eastlake-ish stuff around, and a ton of it is walnut-oak has a much coarser grain. New walnut doesn't match old walnut very well without some kind of fiddly staining-african mahogany can be easier to get a good color match on as it starts out lighter like faded walnut. You could probably also stain oak to match.

E:I did a post a while ago about matching new walnut to old that might be useful to you:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2819334&userid=94772&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post502983297

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 2, 2020

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm 99% sure it's black walnut, and those panels are likely also burl walnut. Cut a little sliver/scratch off the inside of on the door styles or somewhere-if it's brown under the finish, it's definitely walnut. There's alot of that late 19th C Eastlake-ish stuff around, and a ton of it is walnut-oak has a much coarser grain. New walnut doesn't match old walnut very well without some kind of fiddly staining-african mahogany can be easier to get a good color match on as it starts out lighter like faded walnut. You could probably also stain oak to match.

E:I did a post a while ago about matching new walnut to old that might be useful to you:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2819334&userid=94772&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post502983297

What he said. Walnut is famous for blonding out in sunlight, light, direct or indirect. Panels likewise have that burly, swole even- birdseye figuring.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Ahh, just got back from picking up the lumber. I did get some extra so I can test out different stains and finishes, so that post will probably be helpful.

Got some maple and beech for other little projects too. $20 for this pile of stuff from the cutoffs bin:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Yep, it's walnut. If that seems weird, the top of the leftmost stile is probably the most telling piece.

e: heh, too late. Welp.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
So what I thought would be a nice upgrade when I needed to go from a 6” dado set to an 8”, to accommodate my crosscut sled, was anything but. My 6” was doing a pretty good jorb, but then realized that the sled I made would not allow it to cut to the depth I needed. The brand was something like “Oshun”, and got great reviews (and not the normal amazon fake padding reviews of junk). That said, since folks have been actually buying my beehives, I thought it would be worth investing a little more when buying the 8” set, so I’d get a cleaner surface cut. Saw the anti kickback Freud set and plopped down $200 (the 8” Oshun is $100).

Meh, after only a couple test cuts I was thoroughly unimpressed, and the case they came in was thin plastic that was already shredded by the teeth. The cuts themselves showed clear imbalance between the blades, with nowhere near a flat bottom.

So I get to enjoy the amazon return policy, have the Oshun set on the way, and the balance I am using for a couple more clamps.

For the record, I took extra care when testing out the freud set, cleaning each blade before mounting.

Edit: wouldn't it be great if on SA there was a section for product reviews? I am so weary of trying to wade through hundreds of fake or flat out nonsensical product reviews on internet sites.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 3, 2020

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Hasselblad posted:

So what I thought would be a nice upgrade when I needed to go from a 6” dado set to an 8”, to accommodate my crosscut sled, was anything but. My 6” was doing a pretty good jorb, but then realized that the sled I made would not allow it to cut to the depth I needed. The brand was something like “Oshun”, and got great reviews (and not the normal amazon fake padding reviews of junk). That said, since folks have been actually buying my beehives, I thought it would be worth investing a little more when buying the 8” set, so I’d get a cleaner surface cut. Saw the anti kickback Freud set and plopped down $200 (the 8” Oshun is $100).

Meh, after only a couple test cuts I was thoroughly unimpressed, and the case they came in was thin plastic that was already shredded by the teeth. The cuts themselves showed clear imbalance between the blades, with nowhere near a flat bottom.

So I get to enjoy the amazon return policy, have the Oshun set on the way, and the balance I am using for a couple more clamps.

For the record, I took extra care when testing out the freud set, cleaning each blade before mounting.

Edit: wouldn't it be great if on SA there was a section for product reviews? I am so weary of trying to wade through hundreds of fake or flat out nonsensical product reviews on internet sites.

Which set did you get? I have the sd508 and while it can take some time to setup (ignoring their lovely chart), they cut great.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

JEEVES420 posted:

Which set did you get? I have the sd508 and while it can take some time to setup (ignoring their lovely chart), they cut great.

Yeah, the SD508. I was utilizing the whole stack, each was carefully cleaned before stacking on the arbor, no overlapping blades, etc. The bottom of the channels were grooved enough that it necessitated sanding to smooth out. The Oshlun 6" set did a cleaner cut. The flimsy shredded plastic case did not do much for my brand confidence.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Hasselblad posted:

Yeah, the SD508. I was utilizing the whole stack, each was carefully cleaned before stacking on the arbor, no overlapping blades, etc. The bottom of the channels were grooved enough that it necessitated sanding to smooth out. The Oshlun 6" set did a cleaner cut. The flimsy shredded plastic case did not do much for my brand confidence.

what do you mean no overlap? They are suppose to overlap and rest behind each other :confused:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have an 8" Freud dago stack and I love it and it cuts great :confused: I think they're actually Diablo brand from home depot, but they're made by freud in italy. I wouldn't expect any dado set to make a perfectly smooth bottom as it is almost never visible.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Did 5 stopped dadoes this weekend by hand because I crashed my dado stack. I'll be using the router plane to finish up every dado for the rest of my life, that thing is amazing.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

How do you guys transport sheet goods? I have two small-ish cars and neither of them will fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood by any means. Breaking them down in store with their saw is an option but I don't exactly think they are making precision cuts. Do I just plan for everything to be 23.5 inches instead of 24 and accept the loss?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dado dip dip da bum bum ba diddy bum

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Olothreutes posted:

How do you guys transport sheet goods? I have two small-ish cars and neither of them will fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood by any means. Breaking them down in store with their saw is an option but I don't exactly think they are making precision cuts. Do I just plan for everything to be 23.5 inches instead of 24 and accept the loss?

I use a HF 4x8 trailer on my Jeep but plenty of people rent the $20 HD truck for a quick trip home, back, and home again.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

JEEVES420 posted:

I use a HF 4x8 trailer on my Jeep

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

How do you guys deal with lack of motivation? I know this has come up in the past, but thought it might be worth bringing up again given current events.

I thought being stuck at home would be great because I'd have heaps of time to do woodworking projects, but with the onset of winter here and the pandemic I've lost all motivation to do anything. The shed's been a total mess for the last couple of weeks... Anyone else in the same boat?