Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

the first and third place are quite similar in the head i agree but i do still think they’re all incredibly sick looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I like the fifth one. It kind of suffers for being shown after two "skull and death robes" sets, so the goat-like helmet first makes it look derivative, but it's actually pretty distinct. Like some sort of sci-fi egyptian god aesthetic.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

it’s a bit over designed for the resolution imo but i still like it quite a bit

bij
Feb 24, 2007

TV Head not making the cut is a pretty egregious failure on the community's part.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Maguoob posted:

Just from the preview it looks like the standard item frame dupe. Which has been know for a while and used in speed runs.

I just learned this today, I don't look at much Terraria videos anymore except for the occasional fancy/grotesque-fancy structure build or bossfight arena build or "how to find/get all this random items you need to make the PDA". Never watched a speedrun.

edit:

Patware posted:

biome spreading is just an excuse to make a baller obsidian sky fortress

Fully fleshed out sky UFO base from meteorite blocks, or the equivalent sky base with other blocks.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 28, 2020

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Given the first, third and fifth place finishes, I think we can say with certainty both the community and the developers are very horny.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

Given the first, third and fifth place finishes, I think we can say with certainty both the community and the developers are very horny.
You're aware of what the Dryad is wearing, right?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Not horns, that's for sure!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I know that the next big patch is going to be the last content one, and there will of course be a few bugfix patches on its heels. That said, I have two questions:

1) Are they planning to update any and/or all of the console (read: non-PC) versions to match the PC original?

B) Have they stated what they have planned for their next project, if any?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A. Yes, at least the current gen consoles. (Switch, Xbone, PS4.) Probably mobile, too.
2. They've talked about Terraria 2 several times.3.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Cat Mattress posted:

A. Yes, at least the current gen consoles. (Switch, Xbone, PS4.) Probably mobile, too.
2. They've talked about Terraria 2 several times.3.

Thank you. I I cannot really imagine Terraria 2 given the incredible depth and scope of the original and the fact that T1 seems like an impossible act to follow, but if the Switch version ever becomes a "complete" version then I might take a punt on it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It kind of is a hard act to follow and what they've said about terraria 2 so far doesn't sound like it's going to be revolutionary. Character progression and how you get loot will be different. Infinite biomes is kinda meh, you can already get enough out of large maps or making multiple maps. I don't think anyone's going to care about game lore, especially with the terraria team so used to adding literally whatever they want that looks cool.

I don't really know what I would want out of 2 that I don't get out of the first. More mod friendly at least? Like, maybe a mode where you can make a platformer/metroidvania by disabling building and focus on combat or puzzle solving.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mostly I want more mod-friendly and it handling a lot of biomes in a small/medium world better. It's bad enough vanilla, bu when you start adding stuff with mods it can get very messy.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Freakazoid_ posted:

It kind of is a hard act to follow and what they've said about terraria 2 so far doesn't sound like it's going to be revolutionary. Character progression and how you get loot will be different. Infinite biomes is kinda meh, you can already get enough out of large maps or making multiple maps. I don't think anyone's going to care about game lore, especially with the terraria team so used to adding literally whatever they want that looks cool.

I don't really know what I would want out of 2 that I don't get out of the first. More mod friendly at least? Like, maybe a mode where you can make a platformer/metroidvania by disabling building and focus on combat or puzzle solving.

Terraria but with Z-axis rooms would easily be enough for me.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Just make Terraria 2 what Starbound should've been, which in turn is basically just Terraria with infinite worlds.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh, the ability to have alternate planes like minecraft's Nether would also be nice.

But more interesting than the Nether.

EDIT: Hell, even just a boring rear end plane full of fire would be fine if it's implemented in a mod-friendly way so modders can easily add their own alternate planes.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Amusingly modders have managed to get alternate planes working. It only works in single player but it does work. So technically the Terraria engine is ALREADY capable of handling at least a couple of extra worlds.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If Terraria 2 was literally Terraria except with background upgrades like integrated mod support it would probably be good enough for most people.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Terraria 2! It's Terraria but coded better with nicer character models!

That'll be 15$

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
tModLoader is coming bundled into 1.4's Steam release as free DLC

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My pipe dream would be a Terraria 2 that tried to copy Myst's mechanics of being able to travel to different ages and those different ages being highly varied biomes.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

With or without furnace-operated elevator trees?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

With or without furnace-operated elevator trees?

With, of course. Terraria needs elevators. And pulleys. Let me construct minecart elevators that let me travel from the overworld into hell and back. Let me power them with geothermal energy aka a bucket of lava.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Terraria 2! It's Terraria but coded better with nicer character models!

That'll be 15$

worth it

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

With, of course. Terraria needs elevators. And pulleys. Let me construct minecart elevators that let me travel from the overworld into hell and back. Let me power them with geothermal energy aka a bucket of lava.

Having constructions able to move around would be a pretty great addition to a Terraria 2.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

I'd pay that much for smoother scaling

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Really the biggest thing that would get me excited about a Terraria 2 would be Terraria 1 but with more robust world gen, a load of new world and biome types, and an in game way for world to world traversal.
Exiting to the menu to go from my corruption world to my crimson world works fine but tell me that having like, a Fire Portal and being able to acquire or craft different Lava Gate Keys, each with different world generation/seed properties wouldn't light your brain up.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 29, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Silver Snail posted:

Really the biggest thing that would get me excited about a Terraria 2 would be Terraria 1 but with more robust world gen, a load of new world and biome types, and an in game way for world to world traversal.
Exiting to the menu to go from my corruption world to my crimson world works fine but tell me that having like, a Fire Portal and being able to acquire or craft different Lava Gate Keys, each with different world generation/seed properties wouldn't light your brain up.

You could also have very strange worlds, since the basics of what you need would presumably be on your base world, and alternate ones could just be entirely obsidian for all terrain or trees drop crystals instead of wood, or whatever.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’d like inter dimensional travel via some sort of gate (building or device or I don’t care what) that eats a material item. The gate takes you to a world that is your world’s seed + the material’s ID. Then it’s reproducible, but random worlds are accessible from each initial world generated by the game, and gathering materials from a second world could unlock others, and so on.

Or maybe incorporate the seed of the world you’re actually in into the gate destination so the only way to get to world C is from B which you got to from A, requiring a chained access path every time.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Along those lines, have corruption and crimson (and hallowed, why not) dimensions that are just your world but all that version of the biomes (desert vs corrupt desert vs hallowed desert, etc). You travel into those versions to fight certain bosses, and things you do in one dimension impact the world in all the other ones. Some puzzles can only be solved in one version, like breaking down a certain wall in maybe the crimson to access the dungeon in the other worlds. After a point equivalent to the WOF those dimensions start leaking into your main world and you have to repair or maybe just mitigate it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

Along those lines, have corruption and crimson (and hallowed, why not) dimensions that are just your world but all that version of the biomes (desert vs corrupt desert vs hallowed desert, etc). You travel into those versions to fight certain bosses, and things you do in one dimension impact the world in all the other ones. Some puzzles can only be solved in one version, like breaking down a certain wall in maybe the crimson to access the dungeon in the other worlds. After a point equivalent to the WOF those dimensions start leaking into your main world and you have to repair or maybe just mitigate it.

Oh man, a sandbox game with mirror dimension mechanics is something I never knew I needed.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Straight White Shark posted:

Oh man, a sandbox game with mirror dimension mechanics is something I never knew I needed.

Back when I was planning to make a mini Terraria knockoff, one of my planned gimmicks was a "mirror biome" -- a biome that you cannot actually enter (it's solid and impenetrable), but that you see your reflection in. Most of the world is reflected too, however some things are not quite right -- and if you spot them, you've found hidden treasure in the same spot in the non-mirror-world counterpart.

Or better yet, make it a continuing puzzle to access the treasure -- you might even have to affect the mirror world version of objects from the outside (via hook launched inside, pulling the treasure inside to a more convenient location -- or flooding the room from outside, etc) without actually being able to go in. Could make for some nice puzzles, though the idea doesn't go that far on its own. It'd be hard to randomize them without them being really broken, and if they're not random enough then the few pre-made ones would run their course pretty quickly.

e: I also really love the suggestion above to have overlapping dimensions. And to make sure that what structures overlap where has meaning (unlike in Minecraft, besides the Nether portals themselves) --- and have some of the progression locked behind puzzles that take place in multiple dimensions.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 30, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Bad Munki posted:

I’d like inter dimensional travel via some sort of gate (building or device or I don’t care what) that eats a material item. The gate takes you to a world that is your world’s seed + the material’s ID. Then it’s reproducible, but random worlds are accessible from each initial world generated by the game, and gathering materials from a second world could unlock others, and so on.

Or maybe incorporate the seed of the world you’re actually in into the gate destination so the only way to get to world C is from B which you got to from A, requiring a chained access path every time.

Kickass idea

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Having your own pocket dimension to build your base etc. and travel to different worlds would indeed own.

Improved combat mechanics (but still simple) is also in my top wishes

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Straight White Shark posted:

They could use the original seed, then run it through the world builder a bit more to make progressively more and more alien worlds.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ZZZorcerer posted:

Having your own pocket dimension to build your base etc. and travel to different worlds would indeed own.

Improved combat mechanics (but still simple) is also in my top wishes

i think i would prefer taking advantage of the relative simplicity and making you physically teleport your whole base into the other worlds. just smash that poo poo into the ground

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
It would be cool if the map generator could work in the background in a game like that, so the first swap to a new space is always seamless

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Patware posted:

i think i would prefer taking advantage of the relative simplicity and making you physically teleport your whole base into the other worlds. just smash that poo poo into the ground
I wouldn't mind a base in a pocket dimension or a mobile base of some kind. Starbound's spaceship was a cool idea but totally shot itself in the foot with execution.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Vib Rib posted:

Starbound's spaceship was a cool idea but totally shot itself in the foot with execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Let me put legs on a house and go full baba yaga.

More seriously z axis rooms would be great for terraria, it would help with a lot of things, and alternate dimensions also sounds great. Not to mention terraria 2 right from the start could probably do even larger worlds on its own instead of needing a 64 bit mod loader, a mod, and some custom world gen.