Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

is there a way to get pickle smell out of a jar lid? i want to put other things in this jar i just finished off, but the lid is stiiiiinky even after multiple soap+water washes and being soaked in vinegar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Maybe a baking soda paste? Let that stay on there overnight or so.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

that's a good idea, giving that a try now!

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
should I defrost this bag of frozen Brussels sprouts before roasting them? How, and for how long? Room temperature or fridge? Should I take them out of the bag if there's a bit of ice in it so they are not just sitting in water?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Run them under water if you want it done immediately or just leave the freezer bag in a bowl of water and they'll defrost within half an hour, then pat dry before roasting

Raw sprouts are pretty firm so I doubt a bit of freezer ice will turn them into mush

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Chard posted:

is there a way to get pickle smell out of a jar lid? i want to put other things in this jar i just finished off, but the lid is stiiiiinky even after multiple soap+water washes and being soaked in vinegar.

The smell is likely sitting in the gummy seal, and I'm not convinced you'll get it out. You can buy ball jar lids and rings pretty cheap, which fit on most standard pickle jars, which means you'll still mostly be reduce-reuse-recycling.

If the baking soda doesn't do it, I'd also leave it in the sun for some UV treatment for a day. That's what I do with my plastic condiment bottles.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone have a basic ratio style kinda kimchi recipe?

I have some random napa, bok choy, carrots, green onions, other random veg etc along with gochugaru, fish sauce ginger, garlic, all that. Most of the recipes I have are pretty specific and am kinda wondering if someone has something along the lines of

X weight greens to Y weight salt, let sit then add Z amount of sugar and starch + pepper etc.

Any thoughts? Generally most ferments break down this way just unsure if anyone has such a thing spelled out, would be a nice reference.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hey, I'm a dumbass, I made a gluten-free meatloaf for my girlfriend, and then made roux gravy to go on top.

If I want to make gluten-free gravy, can I just cook some cornstarch in butter instead of a flour?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hey, I'm a dumbass, I made a gluten-free meatloaf for my girlfriend, and then made roux gravy to go on top.

If I want to make gluten-free gravy, can I just cook some cornstarch in butter instead of a flour?

You'll prob want to add a cornstarch slurry to thicken after the liquid is heating.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Casu Marzu posted:

You'll prob want to add a cornstarch slurry to thicken after the liquid is heating.

This imo.

Gluten free flour from red Mill makes good gravy. I don't like using coconut or almond flour for that when I've tried for my celiac MIL.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Squashy Nipples posted:

You can, I'd use half as much cornstarch though because of it's thickening power

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That Works posted:

Anyone have a basic ratio style kinda kimchi recipe?

I have some random napa, bok choy, carrots, green onions, other random veg etc along with gochugaru, fish sauce ginger, garlic, all that. Most of the recipes I have are pretty specific and am kinda wondering if someone has something along the lines of

X weight greens to Y weight salt, let sit then add Z amount of sugar and starch + pepper etc.

Any thoughts? Generally most ferments break down this way just unsure if anyone has such a thing spelled out, would be a nice reference.

You want 2-3% of the weight of the vegetables in salt. That's the only part you have to measure, if there's not enough salt it will go bad and if there's too much it'll be inedible and/or inhibit the fermentation. Salt generously (no measuring), let it sit a few hours to suck out moisture, wash it off, then do your measured salt. You can also do a liquid brining method but I don't know anything about it other than it exists. Don't put in a ton of ginger or it will taste real bad. Garlic should be limited as well, though you can use roughly double the amount of garlic as you do ginger. Going overboard on either one will create a horrible flavor. Don't add any sugar unless you want sweet kimchi for some reason, the rice starch thing I see in recipes but is bizarre to me, at least in the region of Korea I lived in nobody did that. Gochugaru is up to your preference on heat. If you're using fish sauce that's a substitute for saeujeot so you don't want a ton of it or it'd be overwhelming. Green onions you can go hog on. Carrots will add sweetness so I don't add a lot, but a bit is a pleasant contrast. I usually use a vegetable peeler to make real thin strips.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
For kimchi I usually do two napa cabbages (or the equivalent amount of whatever else I'm using - kale, whatever. This is just what fits in my kimchi container). I core the cabbages, chop them up, and put them in a great big bowl or bucket with saltwater and let it sit for a few hours. In a blender I mix up the chili flakes, usually an apple or something (I got this from Maangchi and I like it), an onion or two, a handful of garlic and and equal amount of ginger, the salted shrimps, and that's about it. Blitz and add to the drained cabbage. Maybe add some radish or green onion or something. Stuff it into my kimchi container (for me it's a 3 liter plastic jar with a lid) and leave it on the counter for a few days, then transfer to the fridge. Super easy once you've done it once or twice. I go through about a batch a month or two.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

For gluten free roux Cup 4 Cup works really well. My wife is celiac.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

The smell is likely sitting in the gummy seal, and I'm not convinced you'll get it out. You can buy ball jar lids and rings pretty cheap, which fit on most standard pickle jars, which means you'll still mostly be reduce-reuse-recycling.

If the baking soda doesn't do it, I'd also leave it in the sun for some UV treatment for a day. That's what I do with my plastic condiment bottles.

it's 100% in the gummy bits and the baking soda unfortunately did nothing. i didn't need this lid fortunately, but throwing things away always sucks and at least i learned something for the effort

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Ozone treatment might do it (if you happen to have an ozone generator)

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
whats the best basmati rice for a good price?

Tilde has been my favorite, but for some reason even before Covid my preferred store wasn't carrying 10lb+ bags

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

20 Blunts posted:

whats the best basmati rice for a good price?

Tilde has been my favorite, but for some reason even before Covid my preferred store wasn't carrying 10lb+ bags

If you have a Kroeger/Gerbes/whatever local affiliate of that grocer chain, they have a 10lb bag for under $20 (at least in my area.) I am definitely sure there are higher quality basmatis out there. but I am not a huge rice snob and it's still basmati.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just made a batch of snickerdoodles using this recipe and they're OK, but they're not the best snickerdoodles I've ever had*. Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe?

* For the record, the best snickerdoodle I've ever had was in the European Street Cafe in Jacksonville

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 1, 2020

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
So I've been getting some loving fantastic Mexican food lately and what is the deal with the best chicken being the kind that has that orange grease just dripping all over? I had a quesadilla the other morning that I swear was the best thing I ever put in my mouth. I'm ready to sacrifice a finger or a marriage for that recipe. And the recipe for the lengua tacos that I had the other morning, it was chopped and grilled perfectly, so tender, so good.

But seriously. How do they make the good chicken? I live in an area where I can get all the ingredients I could want, so what's the secret? I tried google but all I get is white people chicken quesadilla recipes.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

e: ^^^ orange grease might mean "cooked in/with chorizo" or it might mean lots of chili powder. Any idea which?

Scientastic posted:

I just made a batch of snickerdoodles using this recipe and they're OK, but they're not the best snickerdoodles I've ever had*. Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe?

* For the record, the best snickerdoodle I've ever had was in the European Street Cafe in Jacksonville

I wouldn't describe these as "soft & chewy" like the recipe you linked but the base recipe here is insanely good. The cocoa butter makes them very special!

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/11/chocolate-cocoa-butter-sugar-cookies-recipe.html

To make them snickerdoodle, just leave out the cocoa nibs and milk chocolate and do the cinnamon-mixture topping.

e2: vvvv fair enough, I just took this as an opportunity to share this amazing cookie recipe that seems like a great foundation.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 1, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Snickerdoodles aren't just sugar cookies with cinnamon! Cream of tartar for the leavener is important for the taste.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hello, I'm back to report that duck eggs are indeed really good but eating them fried with toast like I normally do chicken eggs is giving me serious uncanny valley vibes. I'm gonna try making a kickass chocolate cake next.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

empty sea posted:

So I've been getting some loving fantastic Mexican food lately and what is the deal with the best chicken being the kind that has that orange grease just dripping all over?

I'd bet money it's chorizo and/or lard and a lot of chiles. The amount of lard used in authentic mexican is alarming and delicious.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
prolly mostly lard

also a high fat cut of chicken

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I fuckin love lard.

el Gonzo
Apr 14, 2006
Decided to try my hand at cheesecake tonight and got a bit forgetful about putting it in the fridge while I was letting it cool. All in all, it sat on the counter for roughly 3 hours and ten minutes. Is this a food poisoning waiting to happen or is it still safe under the 4 hour rule?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You probably ok but eat it sooner rather than later

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Making fajitas for the kids tonight, and I have a load of tinned peaches: is there a tex-mex ish kind of dessert I can make with them?

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

The Kimchi recipe was spot on. I salt mine for 30 minutes then rinse then season with chile paste and garlic. Yum. I have 2 bottles of salt water I use one is 2.5% and the other is just 2.0% salt. I made my brine by weight. I do the Alton Brown thing and fill a zip top bag with brine for a weight to stuff in the jar.

I have just found some pickles made with spirit vinegar. I like them a lot. Has anyone made pickles with spirit vinegar? The Noma guide for fermentation talks about burning off the ethanol then adding water back into it then trying to ferment it? I think I am missing something. I have not seen anything in the store called spirit vinegar. It has a sharper taste and I think a higher acidity. I want to make some quick pickles with that same flavor profile.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Scientastic posted:

Making fajitas for the kids tonight, and I have a load of tinned peaches: is there a tex-mex ish kind of dessert I can make with them?

Yes Peach cobbler, Place cans of peaches into a deep oven safe dish. We used to use store bought yellow cake mix on top of them. Place pats of butter on the top of the dry cake mix. Cover with foil. Season the top with cinnamon and a little nutmeg. Bake everything until the Desert is nice and moist I liked using a Dutch Oven but I am picky that way.

The peach cobbler will come out Terrific and Very Tasty.

I Hate Tex Mex and this is in a good spirit but share your recipe. We are all friends here.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

That’s a new version of cobbler to me, I’m used to it being topped with dollops of scone batter. Yours sounds more like an upside down cake to me.
Still tasty I bet though.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

stinkypete posted:

I Hate Tex Mex and this is in a good spirit but share your recipe. We are all friends here.

There isn’t really a recipe: I fry wedges of onions and peppers until charred and put them aside. Then I fry chicken thighs and season with lots of cumin and whatever other spices I fancy, chuck back in the veg and serve with homemade salsa and guacamole, sour cream and refined beans

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Scientastic posted:

There isn’t really a recipe: I fry wedges of onions and peppers until charred and put them aside. Then I fry chicken thighs and season with lots of cumin and whatever other spices I fancy, chuck back in the veg and serve with homemade salsa and guacamole, sour cream and refined beans

Good recipe, the cumin is Tex Mex

I do the same thing but season with New Mexico red chile powder heavy garlic and a little salt. Lots of lime juice. Don't get me started on beans I love them.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

stinkypete posted:

Don't get me started on beans I love them.

No wonder you are so stinky.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Is there a Mexican thread hiding somewhere?

If not: does anyone have a decent online source for Mexican recipes?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Dzhay posted:

Yeah goons, fess up! Reveal the Mexican recipes! I've got chicken waiting for... something but it's all Karen/Cathy/Annabelle's dump salsa, cook slow shite.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
There's wiggles' defunct Mexican food thread. I don't know if there's a more recent one that I missed.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Dzhay posted:

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Yeah goons, fess up! Reveal the Mexican recipes! I've got chicken waiting for... something but it's all Karen/Cathy/Annabelle's dump salsa, cook slow shite.

https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/recipes/ Has promising stuff. I've only made the carnitas but I can vouch for them being legit and the site's owner is Mexican from Mexico so I'd guess the other stuff is legit authentic too. I found the site when looking for authentic al pastor at home and she determined you just can't do it without a vertical spit (mad respect, some poo poo you gotta do the right way) so I ended up doing carnitas instead.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Bless you, goons.