Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
de_rats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Milo and POTUS posted:

What are some games that have a honey I shrunk the kids thing going on ie small toys in a typical room. I got mean greens and I might get that new hypercharged unboxed but I think there's a few more

Grounded

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

What are some games that have a honey I shrunk the kids thing going on ie small toys in a typical room. I got mean greens and I might get that new hypercharged unboxed but I think there's a few more

Supraland

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Milo and POTUS posted:

Play the demo of Hypercharge Unboxed before you buy it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Have they ported the Army Men games to PC yet?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Action Henk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwIhy_rGun8

And it's not an entire game, but "Little Big World" in The Sword level from Thief: Gold.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Leal posted:

Have they ported the Army Men games to PC yet?

They actually have!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I played the original 3DO Company Army Men game back in '98. It was very good. Wouldn't bet any money on it being possible to get running on modern systems, though.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Tower Unite has a map for Little Crusaders where you are toy-sized. They are currently developing a racetrack for the upcoming kart racing mode with the same theme.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

No Sarge's Heroes, no sale.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is a good game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Some of the levels in Katamari are like that.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Fur Fighters has the best one of these ever made, it has an obstacle or challenge for just about every object a house can have, including going inside a guy’s head to stimulate his brain. Also instead of you being small it’s everything else being really big because it’s a house for dinosaurs.

Toy Commander is a close second place for its similar boundless creativity, you start off making breakfast and in the endgame you’re fighting witches in the attic and pirate ships in the parent’s bedroom and it’s implied the son completely flooded the hell out of it.

I have no idea how accessible either of those games are in this day and age. Toy Commander‘s devs went under before finishing the PC port iirc which is a tragedy. I think Fur Fighters’ devs are shockingly still around and they did a mobile port recently???

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Hey Steam thread, help me out. Are there any good coop hack and slash/action adventure games released in the last few years? Couch coop preferred, online is fine, both is ideal.

I'm looking for something in the style of LotR: War in the North/Return of the King. Which I'll admit were pretty uncommon on PC at the time. Stuff like Metal Gear Rising, DMC and hell... Marlow Briggs* are great but they are always single player.

Light RPG elements are fine but I'm not looking for a stat heavy lootfest like Diablo (my partner gets bored with those) or a sidescroller beat 'em Up like Castle Crashers. Medschool got in the way these last few years so I haven't kept up with the billion new releases.

*That name probably hasn't come up here in a few years I'd wager.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Washin Tong posted:

Hey Steam thread, help me out. Are there any good coop hack and slash/action adventure games released in the last few years? Couch coop preferred, online is fine, both is ideal.

I'm looking for something in the style of LotR: War in the North/Return of the King. Which I'll admit were pretty uncommon on PC at the time. Stuff like Metal Gear Rising, DMC and hell... Marlow Briggs* are great but they are always single player.

Light RPG elements are fine but I'm not looking for a stat heavy lootfest like Diablo (my partner gets bored with those) or a sidescroller beat 'em Up like Castle Crashers. Medschool got in the way these last few years so I haven't kept up with the billion new releases.

You might wanna look into Streets of Rage 4, it's coming out tomorrow over Steam and is getting good reviews. Also apparently on PC Gamepass if you have that!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Washin Tong posted:

E: some of the Warriors games might be pretty close to the LotR gameplay

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 29, 2020

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Those are both sidescroller beat'em up, my dudes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you're asking for co-op hack & slash games without many RPG elements, beatemups are what you're going to find.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think devil may cry 5 has a pc mod to make it co-op which would thread the needle pretty nicely but i have no idea about the quality of the mod

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Darksiders Genesis maybe? I dunno how loot heavy it is but it looks like it plays like an Ultimate Alliance/Gauntlet sorta game.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Real talk? It isn’t a hack and slash, it’s a wave shooter, but look into Earth Defense Force 5.

Dynasty Warriors is a strong choice in terms of core gameplay, but the PC ports are pretty shoddy and make it a little jank to play.

It’s unfortunate that the co-op hack and slashed has become something of a forgotten genre. I love to get into an arcadey hack and slash adventure with a homie.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I started Digimon: Cyber Sleuth today, and I'm shocked at how good it is. The plot is a bizarre mish-mash of digmon, SMT and .hack//sign - you're hanging in a chatroom with your friends when one day a hacker shows up, tells you all to show up at Kowloon in EDEN tomorrow, and since you and your friends are stupid, you show up at Kowloon and get an illegal hacking program called Digimon Capture. You promptly use it to befriend a digimon, but before the tutorial of how to monster fight can begin, your friends want to log out ASAP. So you do, but you get attacked on the way out and wake up in the middle of the street with a glowing blue body that looks like computer code. A private detective rescues you from getting arrested for being weird, and you promptly turn into Megaman Battle Network (kinda) as you discover you can jump into the internet and out of it.

It's all very anime in a good way, and cyberpunk and so on - a huge mish-mash of influences and I have no idea where anything is going, and the gameplay is SMT but with Digimon's unique twists - instead of fusing, it's weird multiple evolution paths. Or you can devolve your digimon so they can re-level up with better stats! And there are skills you can learn or inherit!

Anyways, the flaws are that you can tell it was made for the PSVita - small dungeon "rooms" - but I don't mind. It's weird playing a PC port where the keyboard controls actually kind of make sense - your hand rests on WASD, C/V are the menu buttons, and you use the mouse for A/B and clicking on things.

I'm gushing, I'm sorry, I haven't felt this excited by a JRPG in a while as the entire aesthetic and plot are adding up to feel VERY PS2-esque, it's like I'm playing a lost Raidou series game, or Nocturne. The graphics are about on par with the PS2 as well! Every digimon has a 3D model, and they look great.

Compare/contrast with the Atelier series, which is fantastic in its own right but is also clearly doing its own brand of low-tech fantasy slice of life stuff / time management. Compare/contrast with the Trails in the Sky series which looks like a PSX game instead of a PS2 game. (and is also doing its own thing!)

So - yeah. This is the closest I've gotten to SMT on the PC, and it's amazing. Can anyone tell me if there's anything else like it on PC? Urban/sci-fi focused JRPGs with or without monster raising? Most PC JRPGs are fantasy and/or fanservice. (lookin' at you NISA)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

So - yeah. This is the closest I've gotten to SMT on the PC, and it's amazing. Can anyone tell me if there's anything else like it on PC? Urban/sci-fi focused JRPGs with or without monster raising? Most PC JRPGs are fantasy and/or fanservice. (lookin' at you NISA)

maybe tokyo xanadu? it's FALCOM's take on the persona series but i've heard mixed impressions

there's also the caligula effect, which is basically the above but with a society based around a messianic hatsune miku (???) and even more mixed impressions

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

That Troubleshooter game that just came out. It's like Persona XCOM

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh yeah, also check out Resonance of Fate

it's grindy and its plotting can be politely described as "unconventional" but aesthetically it definitely sounds like what you're looking for

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

oh yeah, also check out Resonance of Fate

it's grindy and its plotting can be politely described as "unconventional" but aesthetically it definitely sounds like what you're looking for

Oh yeah, this game has a great design/aesthetic
Though fair warning, the in-game tutorials are basically useless and the combat system is nearly incomprehensible unless you read a guide

But once it clicks it is very, very good and the weapon customization is like gun tetris.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Oxxidation posted:

maybe tokyo xanadu? it's FALCOM's take on the persona series but i've heard mixed impressions

there's also the caligula effect, which is basically the above but with a society based around a messianic hatsune miku (???) and even more mixed impressions

I can speak to the former being pretty good and having action-combat dungeons, and if I ever end up finishing a game I start Caligula Effect is next on the list but I've heard it's good if unpolished.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

While I'm going to play Tokyo Xanadu anyways because I love jrpgs, I am bummed that it is set in high school.

quick rundown of the recs:

Tokyo Xanadu: owned, will play, :sigh: at the setting
Caligula Effect: not owned, on wishlist, no more highschools please
Troubleshooter: owned, am playing, is fun! Just got my second team-member the other day.
Resonance of Fate: owned, am playing (stalled due to controller issues - well not my controller, but the headphone jack in my laptop is busted and blah blah until I'm done doing stuff with an external harddrive it's tough to play controller-only games) -- I love it, for the record.

But none of these are SMT or Raidou, they're more Persona or off doing weird other-genre things.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Anonymous Robot posted:

EDF! EDF! EDF!

https://youtu.be/cRmES6IJk_o

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I keep glancing at Witcher 3 when it’s on sale but I’m not sure I’d like the combat. Is there a game relatively the same gameplay wise? I’ve got Witcher 2 but not sure if the combat is different enough.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

StrixNebulosa posted:

Caligula Effect: not owned, on wishlist, no more highschools please

But none of these are SMT or Raidou, they're more Persona or off doing weird other-genre things.

So re: Persona and Caligula Effect. One of the main writers on the game was the guy who did Persona... 1 and 2. And the game's plot can be taken as a critique of what that franchise became when he left as you realize it's "people exiling themselves in a simulated high school eternally fleeing the harsher aspects of reality for a regressive fantasy".

Which is part of why it's next on my list.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

So re: Persona and Caligula Effect. One of the main writers on the game was the guy who did Persona... 1 and 2. And the game's plot can be taken as a critique of what that franchise became when he left as you realize it's "people exiling themselves in a simulated high school eternally fleeing the harsher aspects of reality for a regressive fantasy".

Which is part of why it's next on my list.

it what :aaa:

oh my god that sounds AMAZING, I loved Persona 2, I'm down for "high school examined"

please be on sale when the sale starts, please please please

e: aha it's on humble! hmmmm

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 30, 2020

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

StrixNebulosa posted:

it what :aaa:

oh my god that sounds AMAZING, I loved Persona 2, I'm down for "high school examined"

please be on sale when the sale starts, please please please

e: aha it's on humble! hmmmm

I remember it having an interesting combat system too. Added to my list.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Orv posted:

de_rats

I play HLDM on a rats only server. I'd love a battlefield style rats game. Or an MMOS

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The combat system in Caligula Effect is one where you decide how everyone in your party makes a move before they go and the game allows you to see how it would play out along with a probability of success since both parties can evade attacks if the attacker is too slow. It takes a little getting used to, but you can shut out most mobs with proper planning.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Irritated Goat posted:

I keep glancing at Witcher 3 when it’s on sale but I’m not sure I’d like the combat. Is there a game relatively the same gameplay wise? I’ve got Witcher 2 but not sure if the combat is different enough.
Somewhere within a Dark Souls vs AC Odyssey range.

You're going to be rolling around a lot but after you learn to read certain enemies, there's a much more effective quick-dodge half-step move that'll give you a bigger window to return to the offensive. It's really quick and responsive when you get it down and if you've played a lot of DS, it'll come naturally to you. Play on Death March.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cloudpunk's got a neat concept but they probably could have cut out the entire inventory system, the apartment, the voice acting, and like half of the map, and it wouldn't be much loss. Also there's no horn. Why would you make a driving game and not let people honk the horn?!

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Get a gamecube and play Chibi Robo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI9lfkc3HMw

The toys in the house come to life at night

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

Cloudpunk's got a neat concept but they probably could have cut out the entire inventory system, the apartment, the voice acting, and like half of the map, and it wouldn't be much loss. Also there's no horn. Why would you make a driving game and not let people honk the horn?!

It took Brigador like a year to put horns in so I'll forgive them, provided they add in horns soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What's the word on Generation Zero? The reviews are pretty middling at best but I also hear they've put some work in the game since launch and it might be better now? I guess I could always just try it this week.