Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A Bystander posted:

The combat system in Caligula Effect is one where you decide how everyone in your party makes a move before they go and the game allows you to see how it would play out along with a probability of success since both parties can evade attacks if the attacker is too slow. It takes a little getting used to, but you can shut out most mobs with proper planning.

Stop that, that sounds insanely cool and I had just decided to wait a few days, see what the steam sale is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

StrixNebulosa posted:

Stop that, that sounds insanely cool and I had just decided to wait a few days, see what the steam sale is like.

Nearly half off on Humble for their Golden Week sale right now if you can't wait.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

explosivo posted:

What's the word on Generation Zero? The reviews are pretty middling at best but I also hear they've put some work in the game since launch and it might be better now? I guess I could always just try it this week.

Also curious, I've heard similar.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

explosivo posted:

What's the word on Generation Zero? The reviews are pretty middling at best but I also hear they've put some work in the game since launch and it might be better now? I guess I could always just try it this week.

It’s alright! The beginning is pretty hard because you are fragile and robots are not. If you like scavenging you’ll probably like it.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

StrixNebulosa posted:

Good morning literally all I want to do is play this drat fishing game. It's so soothing but also deep enough and I enjoy making lures and what's that, I have AAA games installed calling for me? no, I must fish

I Have 1,928 Games And I Must Fish

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

oh yeah, also check out Resonance of Fate

it's grindy and its plotting can be politely described as "unconventional" but aesthetically it definitely sounds like what you're looking for

Eh I always mix up Resonance Of Fate and Enchated Arms. I know in one of the games you are playing a timing based jrpg where people just do cool backflips with guns as basic auto attacks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Caligua Effect is really dire and I can't in good faith recommend it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

kirbysuperstar posted:

Caligua Effect is really dire and I can't in good faith recommend it.

How so?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

For one thing every area is a gigantic, featureless nonsense maze, the story is bad and at least in the original version had some gross fat-shaming stuff and the combat is pointlessly easy so there's no incentive to engage with its mechanics.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

So, finishing The Final Station made me realize I have an itch for games where you hop in a vehicle and travel between towns scrounging for supplies and avoiding monsters. What are some of the better games with that sort of gameplay loop?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

the original version had some gross fat-shaming stuff

i remember raising an eyebrow at this when it first came up so i wiki'd it and it looks like the character responsible for all the "lol fatties" dialogue is that way due to pathological self-image issues herself and it's never really recognized as anything but unhealthy projection? am i missing context here

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

explosivo posted:

I played 2+ hours this afternoon.

I turned the difficulty down to Easy after struggling a little in the tutorial before finding big medpacks and the shotgun but once you get rolling, things don’t feel quite so Survival-ey.

It honestly feels like something in the way of Fallout 4/76 mixed with the loot aspect of PUBG (and I’m pretty sure there’s bullet drop on the rifle), which is probably gonna turn off a lot of folks. There’s no food or water mechanics, but there is some light crafting happening at some point, though I haven’t gotten into it as of yet.

The world feels pretty empty so far, just me and a bunch of robots while I’m trying to figure out where the people went. I doubt there will be any NPCs at all, and I feel like the game will get a lot more fun with co-op play. It’s a good podcast game or a dick around with friends while clicking things deal.

It’s plenty fun as is for $10, though. I like the robots, I like the looting; it looks nice. The little late 80s touches are fun— my dude got a David Bowie lightning bolt on his face. The shooting feels alright, and it can get hectic when you’re surrounded and blastin’.

I’ma keep playing, but I actually enjoy both modern Fallout and PUBG, so ymmv.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

SardonicTyrant posted:

So, finishing The Final Station made me realize I have an itch for games where you hop in a vehicle and travel between towns scrounging for supplies and avoiding monsters. What are some of the better games with that sort of gameplay loop?

Death Road to Canada

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

SardonicTyrant posted:

Death Road to Canada maybe? Available on phone too, which is where I personally like it the most, very manageable in short bursts

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SardonicTyrant posted:

It’s not a slam dunk match because you don’t personally control the driving, but perhaps Death Road to Canada?

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
holy hell. i would never have expected THIS to pop up on steam ever.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1255410/Purple_Saturn_Day/

maaan. seeing a croolis var in one of the screenshots makes me wishful that we'll see captain blood pop up, eventually.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

i remember raising an eyebrow at this when it first came up so i wiki'd it and it looks like the character responsible for all the "lol fatties" dialogue is that way due to pathological self-image issues herself and it's never really recognized as anything but unhealthy projection? am i missing context here

That might have been it, it's been a hot minute. It didn't come across very well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

That might have been it, it's been a hot minute. It didn't come across very well.

i mean you're making it sound like what persona 4 pulled with hana(?) and even the most cursory summary makes it seem like it's not in the same zip code

i'd buy the drat thing and find out myself but that gameplay looks like it could put a cup of coffee to sleep

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Soul Glo posted:

Generation Zero :words:
Hm, that sounds like maybe something I'd be into. Thanks for the writeup!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

My overseas friend just texted me a screenshot of his PS4 downloading Streets of Rage 4 and I feel attacced 3 more hours!

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

If anything, watch a gameplay video first and see if that's actually your jam or not. I can stand it because I have a lot of spare time and I see most games through to the end provided that the premise is interesting enough, but clearly not everyone is that way and that's perfectly fine.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They've announced the next asscreed game. In a shock to no-one, it's Viking-themed, subtitle Valhalla. Proper trailer in about 10 hours.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Can't wait for Harald Hardrada to be a complete rear end in a top hat/best bud to me.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The last two were good, I'll probably buy it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The move to a two year gap has been massively beneficial.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Yeah but the way to do it is to buy the one released AFTER Valhalla.

Orv posted:

Depends on if it's another systemic refresh or just Viking Origins like Odyssey was Greek Origins.
Exactly but if it's just Odyssey with snow then why bother.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 30, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011
Depends on if it's another systemic refresh or just Viking Origins like Odyssey was Greek Origins.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Is nobody realising that this means we get Viking sea shanties?

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

Yeah but the way to do it is to buy the one released AFTER Valhalla.

Exactly but if it's just Odyssey with snow then why bother.

Well this may not be compelling to you but for me Origins and Odyssey (and Syndicate before them, meaning they're kind of on a roll with this) had two of the most compelling protagonists and even supporting major NPCs in games from the last couple years. Ubisoft is also one of the only studios that learns from and builds on its own experimentation even if that isn't always to everyone's liking.

"Odyssey with snow" could actually be really good.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Orv posted:

I would honestly be into this. I was a big fan of Odyssey’s basic gameplay, story, and just world in general. I’m pretty down to do a tour of wherever the Viking version is set.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
What is this Troubleshooter game that actually has a 9/10 rating which is higher than both XCOM: Chimera Squad & Gear Tactics? And also incredibly cheap as well?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/470310/TROUBLESHOOTER_Abandoned_Children/

Anyone want to share their impressions of the game?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I enjoyed Odissey but I found it a bit exhausting, too much stuff. Could do with more focused content.

Hope they go with less collect-a-thons and meaningless map checklist stuff

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this looks dope as hell https://store.steampowered.com/app/612640/Dunk_Lords/

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

srulz posted:

What is this Troubleshooter game that actually has a 9/10 rating which is higher than both XCOM: Chimera Squad & Gear Tactics? And also incredibly cheap as well?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/470310/TROUBLESHOOTER_Abandoned_Children/

Anyone want to share their impressions of the game?

It supposedly has a shitload of gameplay systems and deep character customization but I couldn't tell you because the spotty translation killed it for me.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015

Krazyface posted:

They've announced the next asscreed game. In a shock to no-one, it's Viking-themed, subtitle Valhalla. Proper trailer in about 10 hours.

Oh god, I'm still only halfway through Brotherhoods.

At the rate Ubisoft is releasing new AssCreed games, I'll never be able to catch up and will probably be dead before that. :suicide:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Det_no posted:

It supposedly has a shitload of gameplay systems and deep character customization but I couldn't tell you because the spotty translation killed it for me.

Have you tried recently? They redid the translation for the full release.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

shoc77 posted:

Oh god, I'm still only halfway through Brotherhoods.

At the rate Ubisoft is releasing new AssCreed games, I'll never be able to catch up and will probably be dead before that. :suicide:

There is absolutely 0 reason to play the entire series. I can't think of another series where it was less essential.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Krazyface posted:

There is absolutely 0 reason to play the entire series. I can't think of another series where it was less essential.

Look the metaphysical and philosophical conflict throughout history of a group of assholes so far up their own rear end they can see daylight versus a group of other assholes so far up their own rear end they can see daylight is... very important. Hm.

Alright yeah maybe not.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

Have you tried recently? They redid the translation for the full release.

With full release, yeah. Dialogue between characters was fine but I felt like the tutorials, menu bits and UI stuff were not. And since the game is really dense with information it felt like more trouble that it's worth at the current price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Milo and POTUS posted:

What are some games that have a honey I shrunk the kids thing going on ie small toys in a typical room. I got mean greens and I might get that new hypercharged unboxed but I think there's a few more

Supraland