Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Amethyst posted:

The publisher isn't interested. This series is dead.

The series just got steadily worse. I got off after the first three books but having read the spoilers for the last book I can't imagine how ripped off people feel after reading the whole series. Like, after THAT many pages, this is the ending? Really?

Well considering what the series is called...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

The ending was unbelievably poo poo. Then Bakker basically went on the internet and made the official authorial stance that he had been waiting to do that the whole time because the whole series was his deconstruction of Lord of the Rings or whatever. It was one of my most frustrating moments of all time as a fan of something.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

It's not a very good deconstruction of Lord of the Rings.

I'll elaborate a bit to avoid threadshitting. Baker had a few big ideas going for him a la Kilgore Trout, one of which was the horror of determinism combined with the fear that you could be just as easily manipulated by someone with no morals who understood the levers. It's a compelling idea that made a lot of people more willing to tolerate black demon seed and the copious amount of rape aliens.

The problem is that Bakker then descended into pretentious metaphysics with the "what if the gods are evil, mannnnnnn" and the unnecessarily immature take on the Calvinist elect. It was clear the editors had gone out the window as we got grab like vagina dragon and the Gay Rape Crusade which...just didn't add anything and felt like they were written one handed.

This is before we get into the actual construction of the novels.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

It is pretty obvious that there was supposed to be another trilogy because Bakker clearly frames the story as a repeat of the previous apocalypse, in which the second act ended with the no-god freed and the forces of humanity in disarray. However, his publisher noped out of the series and Bakker tried to save face by starting to claim this was always supposed to be the ending. I didn’t like it as much as I took pleasure in people being riled up about it, which doesn’t cast a good light upon my character, but it is what it is. I still recommend this series in other threads out of spite.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

It is pretty obvious that there was supposed to be another trilogy because Bakker clearly frames the story as a repeat of the previous apocalypse, in which the second act ended with the no-god freed and the forces of humanity in disarray. However, his publisher noped out of the series and Bakker tried to save face by starting to claim this was always supposed to be the ending. I didn’t like it as much as I took pleasure in people being riled up about it, which doesn’t cast a good light upon my character, but it is what it is. I still recommend this series in other threads out of spite.

There isn’t “supposed” to be another trilogy. Why do people keep taking fantasy authors at their word? Writing an ending is hard work and lots of bad writers are incapable of doing it. They just write till they stop and claim they have more planned.

In this case he isn’t even doing that. He’s saying “yep this is the ending. Sorry about that. I could write more if you think it’s bad. Sorry.”

Also it’s pretty clear that Bakker has serious sadistic tendencies. He wanted to “teach the reader a lesson” in a really negative way. The more I think about it the less I like these books, and Bakker as a person.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 27, 2020

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
He did speak of a third duology or trilogy, even before the great ordeal came out. Said the name would be a spoiler. That doesn't mean he'll ever write or publish it but it's not like it came from nowhere, and it definitely was mentioned before the last book came out.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
That's so vague as to mean anything and nothing. Could be called "How to Cook Sranc" and it would still fulfill the conditions. Writers always talk about something they _might_ write.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Amethyst posted:

In this case he isn’t even doing that. He’s saying “yep this is the ending. Sorry about that. I could write more if you think it’s bad. Sorry.”

Everything I read on his forums ran to the contrary. Where have you ever seen him say that or anything that's a functional equivalent?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

He did speak of a third duology or trilogy, even before the great ordeal came out. Said the name would be a spoiler. That doesn't mean he'll ever write or publish it but it's not like it came from nowhere, and it definitely was mentioned before the last book came out.

He also said there would be a second trilogy before it became a quadrilogy. Again: why would anyone take fantasy authors at their word? Of course they would say making their story into an endless serial is what is good and proper. Endings are hard and unprofitable.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

Everything I read on his forums ran to the contrary. Where have you ever seen him say that or anything that's a functional equivalent?

I read an interview where he revealed that he wrote the story as a dnd campaign as a teen, and it ended like it did in the books. He talked about how he could write more but he has no plan for what would happen.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Amethyst posted:

I read an interview where he revealed that he wrote the story as a dnd campaign as a teen, and it ended like it did in the books. He talked about how he could write more but he has no plan for what would happen.

...Yeah, that's pretty different from what you said earlier. But cool.

He's never said that was the ending or that he wasn't planning on writing more. In the GRRM era, nobody's naive enough to believe that guarantees more is on the way, but In this case he isn’t even doing that. He’s saying “yep this is the ending. Sorry about that. I could write more if you think it’s bad. Sorry.” isn't in any way supported by anything he's actually said or done.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

...Yeah, that's pretty different from what you said earlier. But cool.

He's never said that was the ending or that he wasn't planning on writing more. In the GRRM era, nobody's naive enough to believe that guarantees more is on the way, but In this case he isn’t even doing that. He’s saying “yep this is the ending. Sorry about that. I could write more if you think it’s bad. Sorry.” isn't in any way supported by anything he's actually said or done.

I’m not here to be interrogated dude. Go read the interview

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

And if it’s “naive” to expect the novels we read to end, that’s a terrible situation for readers and we shouldn’t buy into it.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Amethyst posted:

I’m not here to be interrogated dude. Go read the interview

I have. He didn't express the sentiment you said he did. But given the way you misunderstood my meaning of the term 'naive' (and your misuse of interrogated), we can leave it at that.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
The real question is: would anyone read anymore books set in this universe if he does end up writing more?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sure, I'd read it at some point. Though hopefully he gets an editor who hates his guts. The last two entries really needed a work over. And be only one.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mukulu posted:

The real question is: would anyone read anymore books set in this universe if he does end up writing more?

Call it sunk costs fallacy (or phallusy since Bakker) but I would want to see how he tries to wrap it.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
I’d read it.

My understanding—-erroneous or not— was that the initial plan was a trilogy where the final entry was the actual second apocalypse. So I was always hoping to read about the second apocalypse and not just the lead up.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

I would read it as well.
In the larger scope of fantasy, Bakker stands out and there are so many many other authors that are simply forgettable.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I regret reading these books

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I regret reading these books

Me too man. They are 100% about a kid from high school where if only the pretty girl would listen to his logic then she'd dump the jock and bang him, plus also gently caress you dad. That and "the sweet honey of thousands of unwashed anuses" which is the most disturbing line from anything I've ever read.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BigHead posted:

Me too man. They are 100% about a kid from high school where if only the pretty girl would listen to his logic then she'd dump the jock and bang him, plus also gently caress you dad.

There's a lot to criticise about Bakker, but I really don't buy this reading. The master of logic and reason is a terrifying abomination who ruthlessly destroys anyone who sees through his web of manipulation. Kellhus is a monster.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 28, 2020

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I would read

BigHead posted:

Me too man. They are 100% about a kid from high school where if only the pretty girl would listen to his logic then she'd dump the jock and bang him, plus also gently caress you dad. That and "the sweet honey of thousands of unwashed anuses" which is the most disturbing line from anything I've ever read.

Except the super handsome, musclebound jock is also infinitely better than him at logic and thinking.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There's a lot to criticise about Bakker, but I really don't buy this reading. The master of logic and reason is a terrifying abomination who ruthlessly destroys anyone who sees through his web of manipulation. Kellhus is a monster.

I like how upset people get by Bakker.
I wonder if it is because their expectations completely got shattered or whether they expected something else than another fantasy series.
Especially since you don’t get disappointed of the end unless you have actually read the entire six books. Most people who get tired of a series or a book would have dropped it way before the end.
Or maybe it is because so many readers are completionists that have to finish what they started?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Just because Kellhus is an anti hero doesn’t mean he isn’t a stupid indulgent fantasy based on a warped view of humanity as a bunch of sheeple.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Amethyst posted:

Just because Kellhus is an anti hero doesn’t mean he isn’t a stupid indulgent fantasy based on a warped view of humanity as a bunch of sheeple.
Yes, his general prowess and success (even if he ultimately fails for stupid contrived reasons) ultimately come down to Bakker's philosophy 101 nihilistic worldview that brains are scary

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Amethyst posted:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yes, his general prowess and success (even if he ultimately fails for stupid contrived reasons) ultimately come down to Bakker's philosophy 101 nihilistic worldview that brains are scary

How is this different from any other fantasy that plays at the pseduophilosophical angle?
LotR, Narnia = Christianity myth
Sword of Truth = Libertarian
just as examples from the top of my head.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

But...brains are scary

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mukulu posted:

eh, maybe

lovely fantasy works as audiobooks for commutes

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

BigHead posted:

what was the context for this?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

ChubbyChecker posted:

what was the context for this?

It's in The Thousand fold Thought . Talking to the filthy, unkempt army after it crossed the desert. Bakker thought it important to describe the smell as the sweet honey of their unwashed anuses.

The exact line is "the ink of armpits, the honey of unwashed anuses, all shot through with strands of balsam, orange, and jasmine."

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

BigHead posted:

It's in The Thousand fold Thought . Talking to the filthy, unkempt army after it crossed the desert. Bakker thought it important to describe the smell as the sweet honey of their unwashed anuses.

The exact line is "the ink of armpits, the honey of unwashed anuses, all shot through with strands of balsam, orange, and jasmine."

poetry

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Cardiac posted:

How is this different from any other fantasy that plays at the pseduophilosophical angle?
LotR, Narnia = Christianity myth
Sword of Truth = Libertarian
just as examples from the top of my head.

Lotr does not focus on sauron seducing people for chapters on end. I haven’t read sword of truth but it’s famously terrible.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Amethyst posted:

Lotr does not focus on sauron seducing people for chapters on end. I haven’t read sword of truth but it’s famously terrible.

I am mostly curious why people are so upset about Bakker and the books since there are plenty of mediocre fantasy written by authors with questionable opinions out there that people don’t get upset about.
You don’t see the same amount of vitriol towards other authors, probably because they are completely generic and forgettable.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

BigHead posted:

lmao what absolute poo poo

is he Rothfuss but edgy? holy poo poo that's stupid as gently caress

Cardiac posted:

I am mostly curious why people are so upset about Bakker and the books since there are plenty of mediocre fantasy written by authors with questionable opinions out there that people don’t get upset about.
You don’t see the same amount of vitriol towards other authors, probably because they are completely generic and forgettable.

seems pretty obvious to me dude, readers expected better than what they got and then Bakker was mealy mouthed when questioned.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Cardiac posted:

You do see vitriol toward other authors. It’s normal. People have been hating Terry Goodkind at a steady rate for decades. Being let down by a multi thousand page series feels bad.

No one hates Tolkien or Lewis though, their works are classics. Not sure why you raised them.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cardiac posted:

i was coming to post "hmm why do people discuss the contemporary author whose books were released this decade and who actively posts online, more than they do the weirdo libertarian who wrote his books in the 70s" but yeah it turns out Goodkind is still writing them lmao. He gets a well-deserved and ludicrous amount of hate though

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Amethyst posted:

You do see vitriol toward other authors. It’s normal. People have been hating Terry Goodkind at a steady rate for decades. Being let down by a multi thousand page series feels bad.

No one hates Tolkien or Lewis though, their works are classics. Not sure why you raised them.

some people hate tolkien for his racism and classism, and some hate lewis for his racism, misogynism and jesus lions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I made this point a page or two ago and someone already voiced their disagreement then, but I think people feel more let down by Bakker than some other fantasy authors because the first trilogy was really good. Yes, with all the important caveats that jump immediately to mind, but nonetheless, it was some solid fantasy.

I'm pretty sure Bakker would be saying that the disappointment was his authorial intent as his purpose was to challenge readers' expectations about what they get as an ending, but I have far less of an issue with the ending itself (the apocalypse happens again) than with the lovely execution of the last two books. As has been repeated ad nauseam, if the last two novels had been trimmed down into a single tome with approximately one third of the cannibalistic death march and some effort to actually give decent answers to at least some of the questions raised throughout the series, just as was done with TTT, it would have been a lot easier to stomach, but that didn't happen and we were left with poo poo as a result.