Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Someone on the f4w board made an interesting post analyzing the quarter hour ratings and I thought it was worth sharing here

quote:

I have analysed the quarter hour ratings for AEW Dynamite as reported in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter to see who has a positive/negative effect on ratings.

This is the criteria I used to arrive at these numbers.

- Only episodes starting from the debut episode up until March 12th 2020 are taken into account, as this was the last show before the empty arena shows.

- Only wrestlers with a minimum of 5 segments are included

- A gain or a loss in a segment is calculated be either the increase or decrease in viewers as compared to the previous segment.

- The first quarter of each show is not included as this is considered the starting point from which gains or losses are measured against.

- If a match or segment spans across 2 quarters then the wresters involved will be credited with the gain or loss for both segments. If one segment is a gain and the other is a loss, then the sum of the two numbers was allocated to the wrestlers involved.

- Only the main people in each segment are credited. For example, if a segment involves Jericho and Moxley but the Inner Circle are also in the segment, only Jericho and Moxley are credited for the gain and loss.

Some notes:

-The big three ratings draws are Jericho, Moxley and Cody. Despite Jericho having a lower average than Moxley, he was involved in almost double the segments measured, so I would say Jericho is the biggest ratings mover.

-Sammy Guevarra would have ranked 3rd ahead of Cody with a much higher average of 25,700 viewers, but he was involved in segment with Marko Stunt, Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy (All in the top 6 biggest losers which drastically dropped his average.

-Riho and Nyla Rose are the biggest gainers for the women and overall do well.

-The Young Bucks are surprisingly consistently among the biggest ratings losers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Chuck Taylor is less than half of a ratings loser compared to good guy Trent? :unsmith:

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
there's a lot wrong with their methodology but also I don't know what could possibly motivate someone who is presumably just a fan to do all that or care much at all.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Pylons posted:

NJPW taught me a long time ago that predictability isn't a bad thing if it's executed well, and most of the tournament has been (except for that finish) so I don't really have any complaints.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

there's a lot wrong with their methodology but also I don't know what could possibly motivate someone who is presumably just a fan to do all that or care much at all.

Seems pretty in-line for a wrestling fanatic online.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Yeah. I think quarter hour ratings analysis is a silly thing to do in and of itself. It assumes a ton of information from a very small amount of data with no other factors considered. Its always felt to me like a "sports radio" excuse to talk thing for wrestling fans/media. In this case like, his evidence just seems to support the idea that people who get booking in major main event storylines draw ratings. Which just says people watch the main event stuff more than the undercard stuff. Even Sammy who hasn't had any kind of main event push probably gets a huge boost because he's been involved so much with Jericho. The methodology says the Inner Circle doesn't get credit for Jericho segments, but Sammy's tagged with Jericho or had so many dual promos with him that I have to assume he did benefit a lot. But again, that doesn't mean he's leeching off Jericho, it just means people watch the main stories including when he's in them.

It just doesn't feel substantial in any way to me. At least not without more information of the guy's methodology. But even with that, he's still analyzing small ratings fluctuations in 15 minute intervals without consideration for anything else in the world. So I'm not sure what use it would be anyway.

A Salty Affair
Oct 9, 2012

I'm just going to assume that the guy who posted that really doesn't like the Young Bucks and that the whole purpose of his "analysis" was to say they make ratings bad

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I didn't care for MJF cutting a heel promo about avoiding travel, but Mox telling me to call my grandma evened it out (thankfully grandma texts).

I think I'd have preferred the Cody/Darby finish if Cody had gotten his knees up rolled through to the cradle but I get what they were going for.

Good show overall!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm starting to get the feeling they might be in for the long haul on the Cody/Darby rivalry with Cody being Darby's white whale. And when he finally beats Cody clean it will be his graduation into the Main Event scene (and possible world title run).

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 30, 2020

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
MJF is a boring vanilla midget and I can't wait for WARDLOW to eat the $170K Diamond Ring and strangle MJF with his own scarf.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

MJF is a boring vanilla midget and I can't wait for WARDLOW to eat the $170K Diamond Ring and strangle MJF with his own scarf.

MJF needs one more win to get the number one contendership, so he arranges a match with Wardlow and tells Mr Mayhem to lie down or he's fired. Mr Mayhem Mr Mayhems.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The reason someone did that is probably because they are a massive nerd.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

that will be my reaction when this plays out

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I would like more info about the GQ With Muscles magazine Jericho was promoting during the Wardlow Mayhem match

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
MJF is such an easy breezy heel he makes it look so simple just being a smug douchebag you want to see get punched.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I love Wardlow. He's like throwing a firecracker down a hole and bones flying out. Just poo poo gently caress WOW energy maxed out. That said, please don't let him be a regular singles act.

I think that's the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen Lance do that rope walk plancha and its still unreal.

I'm also glad they intentionally muffed the Brother vs Brother finale retirement angle for down the road. That's a match that deserves a full arena.

Tony was right this was excellent episode. I hope the ratings reflect this.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

While it’s a completely predictable Finals match of Archer/Cody (still miffed that Darby lost, both my wife and I audibly shouted “BULLSHIT!” when Cody rolled him off the Coffin Drop), I am unbelievably hype for Archer to murderdeathkill Cody (or, conversely, Cody will look like a million bucks if he triumphantly vanquishes Archer, albeit by the skin of his teeth). Predictable when done well is super good and fun.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

live AEW is gonna whip next week too

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The next day, I still like what they did with the ending of Cody/Darby. I think that the camera angle was off and the commentary didn't help, but for the story it was great.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I need Archer to beat Cody. He rules.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I still can't believe Lou Ferigno is alive.

Also Jay and Silent Bob are writing for BTE.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

lance should big boot cody out cold right as the bell rings and then crouch down upon his lifeless body and crush his skull into the mat over and over until the match is called as a KO

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

I was watching without sound and thought Darby won with just an absolutely botched pin. Finding out Reflecting Cody winning wasn't bad but the execution was just dismal, I just tuned out the rest of the ep. I YouTube's the other segments tho, which ruled, those should def be checked out.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think that might've been Jimmy Havoc's best match in AEW.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Lance Archer is a god drat star.

Where was this guy all these years? I used to skip every KES match in new japan they were so boring. DBS Jr held him back like a lead balloon. I thought maybe the G1 was a flash in the pan but no, this guy has got it and also AEW really know how to build people and present people as stars.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Kaveman posted:

Lance Archer is a god drat star.

Where was this guy all these years? I used to skip every KES match in new japan they were so boring. DBS Jr held him back like a lead balloon. I thought maybe the G1 was a flash in the pan but no, this guy has got it and also AEW really know how to build people and present people as stars.

He has discovered himself. It is beautiful to see.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Kaveman posted:

I thought maybe the G1 was a flash in the pan but no, this guy has got it and also AEW really know how to build people and present people as stars.
Lance was great in the G1, but I was skeptical of him only working so hard there so that he could get an american payday and would only rest on his laurels if he ever came back, but no, so far my skepticism has been unfounded and I'm starting to believe in the below archived post:

Low Desert Punk on September 9, 2019 posted:

I absolutely love Archer in New Japan but I think he deserves the monster heel run on American television before he gets too old. He's in the peak of his career and he could do some truly incredible things. He's such a good talent

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Sometimes beauty is a large man smacking the piss out of a mature adult who appears to be a tiny child. I do not write the laws

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Lance Archer vs. Marko Stunt is my favorite squash match of all time. "COME ON MARKO HIT ME"

Lance rules.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I wonder if this is going to lead to Darby realizing that the Coffin Drop is an unreliable finisher and save it for desperate situations, and him transitioning to using Last Supper more often. In that interview before the match, he was like "Yeah, Cody beat the Coffin Drop last time, but it was because Arn told him to get the knees up, but no one ever kicks out of the Coffin Drop." Now, Cody didn't exactly kick out, but he reversed it while half dead.

I'm just thinking that behind the scenes maybe one of the old heads is telling Darby to transition to using something else as his regular finish if he still wants to be able to move his arms and legs in ten years, and not being able to take out Cody with it is their way of telling that story.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

darby should do the 24 Sai

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
that dustin/lance match was wonderful and way better than I anticipated. really felt like a hard fought war by the end of it and the way they built the unstoppable monster of lance archer throughout the match was really well done (both in ring and on commentary).

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

StarkRavingMad posted:

I wonder if this is going to lead to Darby realizing that the Coffin Drop is an unreliable finisher and save it for desperate situations, and him transitioning to using Last Supper more often. In that interview before the match, he was like "Yeah, Cody beat the Coffin Drop last time, but it was because Arn told him to get the knees up, but no one ever kicks out of the Coffin Drop." Now, Cody didn't exactly kick out, but he reversed it while half dead.

I'm just thinking that behind the scenes maybe one of the old heads is telling Darby to transition to using something else as his regular finish if he still wants to be able to move his arms and legs in ten years, and not being able to take out Cody with it is their way of telling that story.

It would be cool in the eventual Darby win over Cody if he goes up for the Coffin Drop, jumps off the turnbuckle and lands on his feet in front of Cody who has his knees up, and seamlessly transitions into the Last Supper for the victory. Sorry for fantasy booking

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

Oh poo poo.

It just hit me.

Archer vs Wardlow is a thing that might happen one day.

The ultimate big men match.

Big meaty boys slapping meat.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I want Archer and Brodie to have the meanest mean guy match imaginable

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Give me a WARDLOW-Brodie-Archer beefboys three way dance.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
From Mike Johnson at PWInsider

quote:

If you enjoyed the last few weeks of AEW Dynamite, including tonight's episode, the shows taped in Georgia were all written by AEW President Tony Khan. The word making the rounds is that Khan, realizing that he was going to have a very small crew due to shut-in rulings around the country, sat down and wrote the last four weeks of TV on the fly at once by himself in a matter of minutes, built around the TNT Championship tournament and the local talents that were available. It was very much a "trial by fire" moment where Khan and his crew had to quickly pivot and come up with something that could work to further company storylines and utilize their reduced resources in terms of crew and talent. Obviously, if you watched Dynamite the last few weeks, you can see that the plan paid off, as the shows have been extremely strong every week, especially given the fact that they were using about 1/3rd of their contracted talent. The tapings had been built around the idea of presenting them similar in nature to old territorial TV (but with AEW's spin on things) as Khan was a huge fan of Memphis and Continental, among other similar promotions.

We are told that Cody was very instrumental in helping put things together as Khan's right hand and has been very hands on with not only his own programs but with helping others. Chris Jericho has also gotten a ton of praise for all his work on commentary (which he did off the top of his head with less than 24 hours' notice that he'd be needed in the role) and with putting together the vignettes for the Inner Circle.

Orange Cassidy and The Best Friends have also gotten a lot of praise internally for their work as they wrestled four times over 24 hours for those tapings and pretty much everyone who was involved, including the enhancement talent, was said to have put in a ton of work to make everything click. It was described to me as a big bonding experience for the talents who were in Georgia. Many of the enhancement talents were brought in by QT Marshall.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

writing 8 hours of tv in "a matter of minutes" is not impressive. A couple of the shows were pretty good and a couple were not. next loving time this happens, write for at least an hour. Take it seriously like all your viewers do.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Cavauro posted:

writing 8 hours of tv in "a matter of minutes" is not impressive. A couple of the shows were pretty good and a couple were not. next loving time this happens, write for at least an hour. Take it seriously like all your viewers do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

It's definitely been a step down quality wise from their regular shows but given the circumstances they did a decent job putting together a ton of TV on the fly