Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oil! posted:

There is one person that financially profited off of Bernie Madoff and has clean hands.

Bobby Bonilla

holy loving poo poo. is there more written about these deals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
How can I sign up for Bonilla Wealth Management?

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I find it highly unlikely that the kid had no idea that anything was wrong with his Georgetown admission. In most cases, the first step of these kids’ college admissions process was to fake a learning disability so they could get extra time to take the SATs. This gave the proctor, hired by Singer, time to correct their test sheet before it was submitted.

Secondly, he was admitted to Georgetown as a tennis player, even though he didn’t play competitively. How is it possible that this kid went three years without ever receiving any email or paperwork related to being a student athlete? I bet he chose not to know what strings his Dad may have pulled.

Even if you think he was completely innocent, legally speaking, the kid is a good faith recipient of stolen goods. He does not get to keep the stolen goods just because he didn’t know they were stolen. His recourse is to sue the thief who gave him the stolen item. I’d love to see one of these kids sue Daddy for wasting three years of his time.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Not technically related to money, but one of my coworkers is working from home and unable to figure out how to use their VPN to access their work PC.

They have been using their personal email.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Not technically related to money, but one of my coworkers is working from home and unable to figure out how to use their VPN to access their work PC.

They have been using their personal email.

The other eighteen were taken???

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

A few days ago I got stuck in a VPN catch 22. The security key I use to authenticate to my work vpn wasn’t working and the guy who handles that wants people to contact him via Skype rather than his phone. I couldn’t get on my company Skype because . . . No vpn.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hoodwinker posted:

The other eighteen were taken???

I'm pretty sure it's her birth year and cut off the last two digits just in case.

Someone else also has a giant signature on all of their emails with "MICHAEL'S LOVING WIFE. HAPPY AND CAREFREE SINCE 2004!" and a randomized bible quote in a bright yellow font. I'm honestly impressed that they either found a way to randomly generate quotes in their signature or are manually changing them with every email. It is a level of tech-savvy that is way above what I expected of her.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 30, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
guessing manual

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

guessing manual
Disagree. Guessing some malware-infested Outlook plugin.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

His victims totally belong in this thread. They got 'exclusive' access to investments that others couldn't use and that never went down even when the market sucked. They could have invested in boring index funds, but thought they were beating the system. Any pensions or charities invested in him were poorly run since there was zero governance regarding his investments. Pensions in particular usually have strict rules about where they can and can't put their money.
Oh, yeah, for sure. But rather than a bad apple problem, I think it's a bad system problem that needs to be fixed. There should have been way more oversight. This poo poo was reported to the SEC years before anything was done. And the only reason anything was done was because his sons "stepped forward."

hypnophant posted:

Not saying the kid deserves an ounce of sympathy, but the universities created this problem by exerting so little oversight over their athletic departments that tennis coaches were giving away slots for 6-figure bribes. They aren't the victim here either, and they shouldn't be allowed to escape blame for their dysfunctional admissions system.
Hella. There is definitely room for more than one bad guy.

Staryberry posted:

I find it highly unlikely that the kid had no idea that anything was wrong with his Georgetown admission. In most cases, the first step of these kids’ college admissions process was to fake a learning disability so they could get extra time to take the SATs. This gave the proctor, hired by Singer, time to correct their test sheet before it was submitted.

Secondly, he was admitted to Georgetown as a tennis player, even though he didn’t play competitively. How is it possible that this kid went three years without ever receiving any email or paperwork related to being a student athlete? I bet he chose not to know what strings his Dad may have pulled.

Even if you think he was completely innocent, legally speaking, the kid is a good faith recipient of stolen goods. He does not get to keep the stolen goods just because he didn’t know they were stolen. His recourse is to sue the thief who gave him the stolen item. I’d love to see one of these kids sue Daddy for wasting three years of his time.
The children of rich people have no agency, I don't know how you could expect them to reach these high standards of "reading their emails," "paying the slightest bit of attention to the things going on around them," or in the case of Madoff's kids "doing the jobs they were paid massive amounts of money to do."

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Thanatosian posted:

The children of rich people have no agency, I don't know how you could expect them to reach these high standards of "reading their emails," "paying the slightest bit of attention to the things going on around them," or in the case of Madoff's kids "doing the jobs they were paid massive amounts of money to do."

Affluenza

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Final Blog Entry posted:

Hoodwinker posted:

Don't look a grift horse in the mouth.

Ftfy

New thread title right here, please

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Hold your horses, we just recently changed it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Moneyball posted:

Hold your horses, we just recently changed it

You'd better pony up when it's time to neigh your options...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
BWM: Turning down a job for double your salary.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

We just received a mandatory compliance test to gather information about fraud in our agency with Covid-19 funds.

I'm not sure if this is an incredibly effective method of detecting fraud or just a hail mary, but it reminds me of the "Please disclose the source and amount of all illegally obtained income" section on your tax filings.

I really wish there was a way I could get information on what they are doing with the data for "I don't know" responses.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I also saw someone with an amazing - maybe GWM, but BWL and BW-Aesthetics - homemade $20 roll bar for their truck on the way to get lunch.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

BWM: Turning down a job for double your salary.

Mods! Self-posting

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I also saw someone with an amazing - maybe GWM, but BWL and BW-Aesthetics - homemade $20 roll bar for their truck on the way to get lunch.

That is for hauling lumber most likely. For example you are buying 8' studs and you keep the tailgate closed. You put it against the tailgate and set it on top of the bar. It doesn't stick out the back so you don't have to flag it. Strap it down and then the wood doesn't rub on the top of the truck.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

spwrozek posted:

That is for hauling lumber most likely. For example you are buying 8' studs and you keep the tailgate closed. You put it against the tailgate and set it on top of the bar. It doesn't stick out the back so you don't have to flag it. Strap it down and then the wood doesn't rub on the top of the truck.

My first thought was ladders, but yeah lumber or whatever other long poo poo as well.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Either way it delivers on the promise of the sticker in the window.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

crazypeltast52 posted:

Mods! Self-posting

Being able to consider more than just remuneration in the skilled job market is insanely GWM and GWL. I met an Indian aerospace engineer that turned down a job offer from a company headhunter at Redstone Arsenal because it would entail being brown in Alabama.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Midjack posted:

Either way it delivers on the promise of the sticker in the window.

This is 100% true. Seems pretty GWM compared to the ones you buy.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

spwrozek posted:

Strap it down and then the wood doesn't rub on the top of the truck.

I thought rubbing your wood was the point of having a big truck.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I love the new thread title, thank you.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
The fact this guy exists doesn't bother me, the fact that he wrote this does, seems like so much humble brag.

42-year-old retiree: 'I lost more than $600,000 due to the pandemic. Now I'm second-guessing early retirement'
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/per...s?ocid=msedgntp

"Financial Samurai" posted:

After taxes, we basically spent about $65,000, which is $25,000 more than we normally do. (The main reason our expenses increased was because we had to hire a doula — a non-medical maternity coach who works alongside obstetricians and midwives — to shepherd my wife through labor.)

Keep on surviving . . .
My heart truly goes out to the millions of people who are struggling with much bigger financial problems. But we can all agree that the economy will eventually bounce back. It's just a matter of when.

My wife and I plan to make use of the downturn by funding our kids' 529 college savings plan. We're also trying to appreciate some of the positives, like having no mortgage for our primary residence. We purchased it with cash last year after selling some stock, and rented out our old house to a lovely couple who currently works from home. If the rental income goes away, we have two years' worth of the property's expenses in cash to cover rental costs.

When the time is right, I'll start looking for work again — most likely in investment banking or fintech. In the meantime, we'll just have to do our best to ride out the storm and protect our existing capital.

Seriously, he used the phrase "Keep on surviving"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this guy was the one complaining he couldnt send his kids to provate school while living in sf while being early retired, right

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

tomapot posted:

The fact this guy exists doesn't bother me, the fact that he wrote this does, seems like so much humble brag.

42-year-old retiree: 'I lost more than $600,000 due to the pandemic. Now I'm second-guessing early retirement'
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/per...s?ocid=msedgntp

Seriously, he used the phrase "Keep on surviving"
"had to" is doing a lot of work there.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Geez, how much was that Doula?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

So I have never and will never give birth unless a xenomorph gets me, so I assume this is me being a moron. But what value does a doula add?

Edit: Give me a 6er if this question belongs in bad with maternity.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
The value is one to one matched with how powerful your healing crystals are.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

crazypeltast52 posted:

So I have never and will never give birth unless a xenomorph gets me, so I assume this is me being a moron. But what value does a doula add?

Edit: Give me a 6er if this question belongs in bad with maternity.

We just had a baby in January and before that went back and forth on wether to get one, the first baby is scary with many unknowns so you want all the help you can get. We decided to save the money. It turned out to be completely unnecessary. I now believe that they are just another species of professional woo parasite feeding off of rich people.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Animal posted:

We just had a baby in January and before that went back and forth on wether to get one, the first baby is scary with many unknowns so you want all the help you can get. We decided to save the money. It turned out to be completely unnecessary. I now believe that they are just another species of professional woo parasite feeding off of rich people.
I was sorta friends with a Doula for a while and you nailed it. Totally unnecessary but they did seem to provide a service for the cost. I was helping her move some stuff and we stopped by her office and they had what were like really fancy hotel rooms crossed with a hospital rooms for private birthings. Local Doctors from the hospital are brought in with their support staff and do everything there.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Animal posted:

Geez, how much was that Doula?

Evidently more Doulars than he budgeted for.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

If I made horoscope mutual funds tracked off the astrological signs of the CEO, how much grift money could I make before the SEC shut me down

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

I was sorta friends with a Doula for a while and you nailed it. Totally unnecessary but they did seem to provide a service for the cost. I was helping her move some stuff and we stopped by her office and they had what were like really fancy hotel rooms crossed with a hospital rooms for private birthings. Local Doctors from the hospital are brought in with their support staff and do everything there.

Maybe I was a bit too harsh to call them parasites but I still believe they are unnecessary, but not necessarily useless. We had a reasonable use case for one as there was a possibility that my wife could go into labor early while I was away on a work trip and we have no family here so in that case it would have been nice to have someone be there who wasn’t a friend who would faint at the first sight of goo. But for an average doula we would have paid more than what we ended up paying for our insurance’s out of pocket maximum and two night private hospital room combined.

There also seems to be an undertone or questionabke bullshit associated with them such as alternative medicine and anti-vax tendencies, just like with chiropractors and other woo professionals.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My wife had a doula. It was less than a G which included lots of personal visits and she was on call for whenever poo poo got real. Long story short, it was our first child and she absolutely did not feel comfortable with either of our mothers doing the role of coach. The doula provided lots of experience and thought of all kinds of things we hadn't. We were happy with her service and she still checks in on our kiddo and invites us to potlucks at her huge backyard.

She was definitely someone who did lots of "woo" stuff, but she customised it to fit our "not woo" lifestyle by getting to know us beforehand. I appreciated her knowledge and support during an extremely stressful time.

I never thought I would be defending my wife's decision to get one, but here we are. Bodies are amazing, and it was definitely the life-changing event people say it is. (Life is a disgusting miracle.)

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Animal posted:

First off, congrats on your kiddo. I'm glad everything worked out for you. My friend's mom is a doula. I kinda feel that reducing stress and uncertainly while providing compassionate care is a valuable skill. It is probably unnecessary, but I wouldn't quite put it in the BWM category.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

First off, congrats on your kiddo. I'm glad everything worked out for you. My friend's mom is a doula. I kinda feel that reducing stress and uncertainly while providing compassionate care is a valuable skill. It is probably unnecessary, but I wouldn't quite put it in the BWM category.

Thanks! She’s 3 months old now and in the last few days she had a development spurt that graduated her from ‘cute but cries a lot and not very interactive’ to ‘genuinely fun to be around and doesn’t feel like she’ll break easily’. Crazy how quickly they grow.

I was too harsh on doulas, but read my last post. I think a good summary is: Expensive, very likely to be unnecessary, but could be useful if in your situation you need backup. Shop around and beware of the ones whose spectrum of woo swings towards the medically dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Animal posted:

There also seems to be an undertone or questionabke bullshit associated with them such as alternative medicine and anti-vax tendencies, just like with chiropractors and other woo professionals.
This is 100% accurate. She is now also doing some weird thermal body imaging bullshit which sounds like snake oil.