Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

i used pineapple juice to the same effect, something about the pH being right to skip the first few days and get to equilibrium faster

http://www.thefreshloaf.com//node/10856/pineapple-juice-solution-part-1
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/10901/pineapple-juice-solution-part-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Huxley posted:

e: Also, Forkish calls for instant yeast, and I got halfway through a jar of active dry before I even noticed. Absolutely no difference in performance to my eye.
If you are going by what the dough is doing rather than strictly time then I don't think there is a difference. Active Dry just takes a little longer to wake up and start going than Instant.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What's FWSY?

Man, all my lifelong lessons and intuition about how slack and sticky bread dough should be have gone completely out the window with autolysed dough. This is gonna be a learning curve.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What's FWSY?

Man, all my lifelong lessons and intuition about how slack and sticky bread dough should be have gone completely out the window with autolysed dough. This is gonna be a learning curve.

A very popular bread book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SGLZH6/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I got that for Christmas! I think I've done one recipe from it; should haul it out and try another.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Another day another sourdough. Put a pan on the lower rack (still heated the pot so as to only change one variable at a time) and the bottom turned out much nicer.

The dough is actually half a big batch of very wet pizza dough. The rest is in the fridge for pizza soon.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Aunt Beth posted:

Using buttermilk for the liquid really helps. What are you flavoring it with? My “Irish” soda bread recipe uses raisins and caraway and that makes it really nice.

I usually make an “Irish” soda bread, so I’m normally using buttermilk. For additives, I sometimes use raisins, and sometimes go plain. I haven’t experimented much with putting things into the soda bread.

Thanks. I’ll check that out. I have used whole wheat in my soda bread in the past, but I don’t remember if I ever used it as the primary flour.

Anne Whateley posted:

Most soda bread is terrible imo. This soda bread recipe isn't authentic, but it produces something you won't resent every bite of https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a51728/irish-soda-bread-recipe/

large hands posted:

I really like the buttermilk soda bread recipe from serious eats.

Thanks for these, too.

mediaphage posted:

Whole wheat is a great add for soda bread, as is oat flour. Sometimes I mill oats and sub up to a quarter or more of the flour with ground oats. Awesome flavour.

Flours I do have: All purpose, bread, whole wheat, corn, tapioca, rice, like three others I can’t recall.
Flours I do not have: Oat.

Right between the eyes.

I did, however, just buy a can of oats like three hours ago. Maybe I can do a couple tablespoons at a time in my spice grinder, or give my mortar and pestle a workout.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I usually make an “Irish” soda bread, so I’m normally using buttermilk. For additives, I sometimes use raisins, and sometimes go plain. I haven’t experimented much with putting things into the soda bread.

Thanks. I’ll check that out. I have used whole wheat in my soda bread in the past, but I don’t remember if I ever used it as the primary flour.

Thanks for these, too.

Flours I do have: All purpose, bread, whole wheat, corn, tapioca, rice, like three others I can’t recall.

Right between the eyes.

I did, however, just buy a can of oats like three hours ago. Maybe I can do a couple tablespoons at a time in my spice grinder, or give my mortar and pestle a workout.

I’ve made the recipe and it’s very good.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I made my first loaf of sourdough bread! The bottom of the loaf is a little tough, and my cuts on the top didn’t all work, but I feel very proud of it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Thanks for these, too.

Right between the eyes.

Thanks for these, too.

Right between the eyes.

It’s probably not worth the work fi you can’t just blend them, I bet. If they’re rolled and/or quick oats just toss a few in :p

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So if anyone's wondering here's a side by side. The dark one was from a cold oven, light one's preheated. (Color difference is just preference of the ppl I'm making them for.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Fascinating!

Is the dough from this recipe supposed to have doubled overnight? If so, Imma let it come to room temp, then knead in a small amount of water/yeast. The last time I baked a flat-looking sourdough, I got flat bread. Still working on that final proof.

Save yourselves; it's too late for me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If mine is still just bubbles and hooch when I get home I’ll probably dump it and try again with raisins.

I’m on like day 12.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ok more sourdough success. I’m going to edit this a few times to put in more pics because my phone crashes if I do too many at once so bear with If you see this and it looks half written

I’m doing that long ferment and cold oven thing I talked about earlier.

I didn’t get a pic of my dough during the initial folds. This is what it looked like after chilling on my counter over night.

After one more round of folds and plopping it into my Dutch oven it turned into this:

Note that crease on the side from one sloppy fold.

I stuck the Dutch oven and dough in the fridge for 24 hours. When I took them out I had this:

Note the crease still there, too left of that pic.

Into the pre- heated oven (460F) the cold dough and Dutch oven went. Left it alone for 55 min, lid on the whole time.

Out came this:

Note the crease from the bad fold still there. Dunno why that bugs me so much.

People were talking about bottoms. Mine is a little charred but not thick or anything.

Good structure on the inside. Nice and soft. Great flavor too. The long and cold second rise really helped with that. Note the crust isn’t too crazy thick even on the bottom.

All in all a success. Have a few things I want to work on but I’m happy with where I’ve gotten.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
For anyone struggling to get a starter going and lamenting the waste of flour, I can really recommend going the raisins & water & sugar route. I basically just left that in a jar for 6-7 days with no additional material (stirring and releasing gas frequently), and as soon as I mixed the bubbly water with flour it took off like a rocket.

At this point I maintain my starter by cutting it down to 15g and adding 30g of flour & 30g of water each day, and I might reduce that even further. On days I want to bake I make a levain in the morning using the bulk of my starter as the base in 1:2:2 starter:water:flour ratio.

MistressMeeps
Dec 27, 2017

Bizarro Buddha posted:

For anyone struggling to get a starter going and lamenting the waste of flour, I can really recommend going the raisins & water & sugar route. I basically just left that in a jar for 6-7 days with no additional material (stirring and releasing gas frequently), and as soon as I mixed the bubbly water with flour it took off like a rocket.

Do you think this would work with dried cranberries instead? That's all I've got on hand and I'm looking to do my first starter.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm hoping to do a sourdough loaf tomorrow, but what does it mean that my starter passed the float test at the morning feeding but not in the evening?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Feed it again before you go to bed there's an optimal window for the starter to be at its best. With time you get used to what it looks like and smells like when it's ready to go.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007

MistressMeeps posted:

Do you think this would work with dried cranberries instead? That's all I've got on hand and I'm looking to do my first starter.

Genuinely no idea, I've only tried it with raisins. I think fruit that hasn't been heavily sterilized should have some yeasts on the surface...?

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm hoping to do a sourdough loaf tomorrow, but what does it mean that my starter passed the float test at the morning feeding but not in the evening?

Make a levain for baking - mix starter:water:flour in 1:2:2 so that you'll end with enough material for your loaf, and watch its progress over the course of the day. Once it's doubled in size (or peaked in size, once you've watched it a few times), you can add it to the dough.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Start a new sourdough culture to benefit:science:

http://robdunnlab.com/projects/wildsourdough/

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

i maked a bread

New York Deli Rye recipe from The Bread Baker’s Apprentice, subbing dark rye flour for the light/white stuff because no stores in my area had light rye flour.

The loaf on the left was baked in a kitchen oven at 350°.
The loaf on the right was baked AND smoked on a Big Green Egg, also at 350°, because that is a thing you can do and I wanted to experiment with it. (you can also smoke your flour before making the dough, which’ll probably have better results, but I didn’t do that this time)

Oven loaf

Smoke loaf

I don’t know what good bread looks like when it’s sliced. Hopefully these looks good. They both taste loving incredible.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I. M. Gei posted:

i maked a bread

New York Deli Rye recipe from The Bread Baker’s Apprentice, subbing dark rye flour for the light/white stuff because no stores in my area had light rye flour.

The loaf on the left was baked in a kitchen oven at 350°.
The loaf on the right was baked AND smoked on a Big Green Egg, also at 350°, because that is a thing you can do and I wanted to experiment with it. (you can also smoke your flour before making the dough, which’ll probably have better results, but I didn’t do that this time)

Oven loaf

Smoke loaf

I don’t know what good bread looks like when it’s sliced. Hopefully these looks good. They both taste loving incredible.

Those look great. If you slice the top before baking you won’t get those openings on the side. (I’m tired and can’t think of the right word)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I've started on my first loaf; this recipe from the BBC at half quantity:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/how_to_make_sourdough_08213

As a ball of dough it looks right, but after 20 minutes of kneading I'm not really getting the windowpane effect. I can stretch it and get some spots of light through but it tears before it's like a clear sheet, and it's not completely smooth as I do that.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I'm trying to make some sort of starter using what I've got on hand - beer and flour. The beer is unpasteurised, so I think that means there is a decent chance of something growing? But who knows, I'm bored and this is marginally more exciting than watching grass grow. Will try to post updates (has anyone else tried this? I'd imagine not coz it seems like a fair bit of work with no guarantee of success).

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've started on my first loaf; this recipe from the BBC at half quantity:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/how_to_make_sourdough_08213

As a ball of dough it looks right, but after 20 minutes of kneading I'm not really getting the windowpane effect. I can stretch it and get some spots of light through but it tears before it's like a clear sheet, and it's not completely smooth as I do that.

Try out an autolyse. Mix together the flour and water until it comes together (and the salt, even though it's not a "true" autolyse), cover, and just let it sit for an hour. Notice I didn't say knead. Just let it sit. After an hour give it a few stretch and folds (stretch the dough ball out and fold it back together, turn it, do it again). If it is looking and feeling better mix in your starter (and... sugar?) at this time. Give it 2 or 3 more stretch and fold sessions at 30 min increments and do the windowpane test at the end. You may want to let it sit another 30 mins and do another stretch and fold if you're still not getting the windowpane (after 3 times you should, with just bread flour, but other flours have less gluten).

Water + flour makes gluten all on its own, whether that's over time just sitting, or you kneading for 20 mins and increasing its hydration with your own sweat. Using an autolyse completely changes the effort of getting a loaf together.

froglet posted:

I'm trying to make some sort of starter using what I've got on hand - beer and flour. The beer is unpasteurised, so I think that means there is a decent chance of something growing? But who knows, I'm bored and this is marginally more exciting than watching grass grow. Will try to post updates (has anyone else tried this? I'd imagine not coz it seems like a fair bit of work with no guarantee of success).

There's probably sufficient naturally occurring bacteria and yeast in the flour itself. It'll probably work just fine with the beer but you may just be cultivating the beer stuff vs what's in a typical starter. Not a bad experiment per se, but personally I'd just drink the beer!

dedian fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 2, 2020

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

dedian posted:

Try out an autolyse. Mix together the flour and water until it comes together (and the salt, even though it's not a "true" autolyse), cover, and just let it sit for an hour. Notice I didn't say knead. Just let it sit. After an hour give it a few stretch and folds (stretch the dough ball out and fold it back together, turn it, do it again). If it is looking and feeling better mix in your starter (and... sugar?) at this time. Give it 2 or 3 more stretch and fold sessions at 30 min increments and do the windowpane test at the end. You may want to let it sit another 30 mins and do another stretch and fold if you're still not getting the windowpane (after 3 times you should, with just bread flour, but other flours have less gluten).

Water + flour makes gluten all on its own, whether that's over time just sitting, or you kneading for 20 mins and increasing its hydration with your own sweat. Using an autolyse completely changes the effort of getting a loaf together.

There's probably sufficient naturally occurring bacteria and yeast in the flour itself. It'll probably work just fine with the beer but you may just be cultivating the beer stuff vs what's in a typical starter. Not a bad experiment per se, but personally I'd just drink the beer!

I figure sacrificing a few cans to experiments is a net positive for my general health, heh. I also want to see if there's a difference between regular sourdough and a potential beer abomination.

It seems to be bubbling now, which suggests it's doing something? Today's day 2, I discarded half and topped it up with more flat beer/flour mix.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'd honestly be surprised if the beer is doing anything more than giving some sugar to the existing yeast. Alcohol is a byproduct of yeast that will actually smother it, so that's not great in there.

More to the point, though, it was pasteurized before bottling. That should have killed everything in there.

Someone earlier in the thread was trying to make sourdough with beer yeast (as in the live yeast brewers buy) and iirc it worked but it was crazy loving hungry.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Beer isn't necessarily pasteurized, some beers are bottle or can-conditioned. Basically at the brewery they'd ferment the beer to completion then add back enough sugars then seal the bottle/can to make the right carbonation. The yeast will continue the fermentation inside the bottle and then die/go dormant and fall out of suspension. A lot of the macro brews are force carbonated I think, so there isn't the yeast content from something carbonated in the can. You can definitely culture some beers to get the house yeast used at the brewery.

But yeah I guess if it were me I'd just use the dregs if they're there, and use water. I think the eventual fate of sourdough starters is cultivation of the wild yeast and bacteria though. You may start with the beer yeast, but eventually the wild yeasts and bacteria in the flour and the air and on your utensils will assert themselves. Art of Fermentation claims that's the case anyway. They cite someone who did an experiment where they took a West Coast starter, identified the yeast and bacteria at a lab, then transported the starter to NYC and cultured it for a while. Then they sent a sample to the lab and the colony had a different mix of microbes.

At least in my mind, the motivation would be to jump-start the colony. Have something there which can produce alcohols and ferment some of the sugars so you can get a jump start on a good colony of yeast/bacteria.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd honestly be surprised if the beer is doing anything more than giving some sugar to the existing yeast. Alcohol is a byproduct of yeast that will actually smother it, so that's not great in there.

More to the point, though, it was pasteurized before bottling. That should have killed everything in there.

Someone earlier in the thread was trying to make sourdough with beer yeast (as in the live yeast brewers buy) and iirc it worked but it was crazy loving hungry.

Can’t you cook some of the alcohol out of the beer by boiling it a little?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This kills the yeast

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

I. M. Gei posted:

Can’t you cook some of the alcohol out of the beer by boiling it a little?

Wouldn't that also kill the yeast. I think that's what the idea is, though I agree with others that water would probably do as good a job.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Hell I wouldn't worry too much about the alcohol anyway. There are some bacteria which are relatively alcohol tolerant (things which would ferment sour beers for example). If it's like a 5% beer then it's probably not so much alcohol that it would stop all bacteria.

A bigger problem might be hops, they actually do have significant anti-bacterial properties (this is, after all, why we started using hops in beer all those years ago). If you put in a hoppy IPA you might still have enough hops to deter bacterial growth.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

So here it is, didn't rise much and came out pretty dense and heavy. Crust is good though.

Is the starter just not active enough?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I've started baking bread in dutch oven. It's about as wide as the bread form I use and about half a foot high. The problem being that every time I have to drop the dough into a red-hot pot from a fair height, and normally it hits the sides on the way down. Am I going about this the wrong way, or using the wrong tool entirely?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've started baking bread in dutch oven. It's about as wide as the bread form I use and about half a foot high. The problem being that every time I have to drop the dough into a red-hot pot from a fair height, and normally it hits the sides on the way down. Am I going about this the wrong way, or using the wrong tool entirely?

Not done it myself yet, but I think you can lower it in on parchment paper.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I put an upside down dutch oven on my baking stone and it worked pretty well. Put the bread on the stone, set the dutch oven down around it.

Significant chance of dropping a blazing hot piece of cast iron on your also blazing hot delicate stone, though, so I might not do it again.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Use a combo cooker from lodge or cuisinel with the pan side down. It’s perfect

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Also see if you can take the knob off the lid of your dutch oven (if it has one) - I did that to mine and put the lid the stove upside down. There was still a little bump on the l id that fit OK through the wires of the rack. Maybe a little precarious but not too bad. Was a lot easier than dropping a loaf in when the dutch oven was upright anyway.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The lids got a gentle curve on it but the knob actually looks designed to work as a foot. Tests with it cold and empty show it can stand upside down. I'm sure it would be trickier to rig in practice but that's what I'll try first, then the baking paper. I'd upend it over a stone, but I don't have a stone. I'm trying to get by without buying a combo cooker as I've run out of cupboard space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mr. Squishy posted:

Wouldn't that also kill the yeast. I think that's what the idea is, though I agree with others that water would probably do as good a job.

Yeah but I’d be more interested in the added beer flavor so it’s cool.