Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

bloom posted:

It'll be a dream scene and we'll spend multiple pages arguing if it was tel'aran'rhiod

It wouldn't be WoT if that argument didn't span like entire modes of Internet discussion across decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Invalid Validation posted:

Well yea but it’s still more than just kill him till he dies. Least she had ambitions other than be the chosen one. Then stub a toe and get balefired out of existence.
She wanted him to seal the Dark One away and install her as Empress of the planet with him as her loyal man-pet. It was not a super beneficial plan so far as Rand was involved, and the only thing that made her marginally better than the other Forsaken was that she wanted Rand to survive the destruction of the world, technically, on some level.

It's really amusing that only Ishamael ever really understood what the Dark one was, or what being Forsaken was actually about.

quote:

Given her level of emotional maturity, and how genuinely terrified of him she was when he tapped into the bigass sa'angreal, not to mention that she maybe-probably compelled that innkeeper into going "yo dude go bangapologise to your wife" and he still didn't, I could absolutely see her storming off in a huff. And that's assuming she didn't have evil business to be about.
I never got the sense that Lanfear compelled the innkeeper; horny, motherly old women giving the three boys sex advice was a common staple of the first few books.

Lanfear peaced out because it became increasingly obvious to her that she couldn't reliably pass as a Cairhienan noblewoman to anyone who was actually Cairhienan, and there were limits to how many people she could compel without attracting attention. There's some indications that she may have either turned invisible or followed him around in TAR, because Rand remarks to himself multiple times that he can almost smell her perfume when he's farting around his rooms in the city.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 22, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It's just awfully convenient that she goes "yo go bang your wife". You're right, maybe not direct evidence, but since she vanishes the next morning when he doesn't stick his head in, it's at least ambiguous imo

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thinking about all the Lanfear chat, if she'd waited until he was a loony then tried her whole 'yo we can kill the Dark One together,' it may have actually worked. Maybe. I dunno.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Could she not have just compelled him?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Thinking about all the Lanfear chat, if she'd waited until he was a loony then tried her whole 'yo we can kill the Dark One together,' it may have actually worked. Maybe. I dunno.

Probably not. By the time he was really starting to lose it, he was also hearing Lews Therin in his head all the time, and old Lews would have seized the power and balefired Lanfear himself rather than climb into bed with her again.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Never kill a woman, never forget a name, weep for them all.

"Hey Lews, Mierin wants to gently caress."

Murder her immediately.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Could she not have just compelled him?

If you use Compelling on someone too much or too strongly you turn their brain to mush. She needs Rand/Lews intact and functional if she's going to be Empress of Everything, so she didn't dare.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jng2058 posted:

If you use Compelling on someone too much or too strongly you turn their brain to mush. She needs Rand/Lews intact and functional if she's going to be Empress of Everything, so she didn't dare.

Also, this is established later, but compulsion doesn't work on someone already holding the power, and she's constantly trying to get him to channel in those early scenes.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Anias posted:

With jordan's penchant for fading to black, it's unclear exactly what level of sex lanfear and any particular character engaged in, but that's sort of moot. INVADING DREAMS is certainly a non-consensual rape part, and all the dreamers do that on the regular. They're not good people.

Yeah, this is more what I meant in my original comment. Regardless of the "physical" circumstances of the dream invasions, the fact that they're sexual and absent of the possibility of consent makes them pretty blatantly rape. Dream penises don't have to go in dream vaginas.

Invading another person's dreams for any reason is arguably rape, but Lanfear's shenanigans are straightforwardly so.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I mean, how lovely of a person do you have to be to be that beautiful and not get any?

Oh right, the kind who would literally unleash Satan.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's really amusing that only Ishamael ever really understood what the Dark one was, or what being Forsaken was actually about.
I never got the sense that Lanfear compelled the innkeeper; horny, motherly old women giving the three boys sex advice was a common staple of the first few books.

Interestingly you can make a pretty good argument that Ishmael was wrong. His whole argument was that there are an infinite number of turnings of the Wheel and the Dark One only has to win once, so his victory is certain. But if there have already been an infinite number of turnings and the Dark One has never won (as evidenced by the wheel continuing to turn), then the probability of the Dark One winning must be zero and he and the Forsaken will never win.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean, how lovely of a person do you have to be to be that beautiful and not get any?

To be fair, she didn't mean to do it the first time.

On the other hand, she sure was pretty quick to start going around saying "Hail Satan" as soon as that became an option, so your point is well taken.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

VikingofRock posted:

Interestingly you can make a pretty good argument that Ishmael was wrong. His whole argument was that there are an infinite number of turnings of the Wheel and the Dark One only has to win once, so his victory is certain. But if there have already been an infinite number of turnings and the Dark One has never won (as evidenced by the wheel continuing to turn), then the probability of the Dark One winning must be zero and he and the Forsaken will never win.

"Ishamael was wrong" and "Ishamael was the smartest of the Forsaken" are not contradictory.

I like the idea that it's not that the Dark One's probability of winning is zero, but that time is simply finite, not infinite. The Dark One exists outside of time as it is known within the world, makes one strike (well, a few? one at the end of the third age), and is defeated once.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Isn't that what Moiraine saw in the 'finn ter'angreal, which then led to her tackling Lanfear into the other one? I don't remember if that was explicitly stated or not, but that was the impression I got.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Isn't that what Moiraine saw in the 'finn ter'angreal, which then led to her tackling Lanfear into the other one? I don't remember if that was explicitly stated or not, but that was the impression I got.

Not quite. It was actually in the make-women-wise-one-apprentices-ter'angreal in Ruidean that she saw either Lanfear killing Rand, Lanfear making him her obedient toy, or that third option.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, what he said. It's interesting because if she'd bided her time and observed, she may have had a better shot at him. But she was brought low because she just had to have him as soon as she was loose.
You can probably make a strong case that each of the Forsaken is brought down by their various flaws. My favourite has to be Be'lal, who is so busy plotting to trap Rand that he just never even considers an Aes Sedai marching up and balefiring his rear end

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Vavrek posted:

I like the idea that it's not that the Dark One's probability of winning is zero, but that time is simply finite, not infinite. The Dark One exists outside of time as it is known within the world, makes one strike (well, a few? one at the end of the third age), and is defeated once.

FWIW this was my theory even as early as the newsgroups.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yeah, what he said. It's interesting because if she'd bided her time and observed, she may have had a better shot at him. But she was brought low because she just had to have him as soon as she was loose.
You can probably make a strong case that each of the Forsaken is brought down by their various flaws. My favourite has to be Be'lal, who is so busy plotting to trap Rand that he just never even considers an Aes Sedai marching up and balefiring his rear end

Yeah I was wondering what vices/deadly sins would match up to the forsaken the other day.

The other fun thing about Lanfear is Rand saying the exact wrong thing, comparing her to Aes Sedai and pissing her off and messing up her groove trying to persuade him.

Also my favorite new theorycraft is that the Dark One and the Creator are the same being, that they sealed themselves up in the act of creation and it's their imprisonment that drives the Wheel. All they want is for existence to end, but can't do it without the consent of the Created.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Then later ENSLAVE SATAN

You know, because that makes her a better person. I’ve said it before but I think the actual DO gets a bad rap, dude just wants to stop dealing with these people every cycle of the ages. Unlike everyone else in the cosmology he has to remember all these interactions back across however many iterations.

I still like lanfear as a character because she is genuinely evil and keeps getting away with it, which is a great inversion of the misunderstood baddy trope. Even when she herself is enslaved she’s still down for slavery, just gotta be the one holding the leash.

As a person though she’s nearly the worst.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The Dark One is Bill Murray from Groundhogs Day except that there’s no hope of escape, just an eternity of Sonny and Cher and Tobolowsky, or oblivion. .

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

My absolute favorite Lanfear moment is when she confidently turns her wiles on Perrin and he simply brushes it off and snaps her neck. Truly fitting.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That has shades of the Weasley/Lestrange showdown as well, where the point is that obsession or compulsion has got nothing on real, genuine love.

Lanfear is bad, sure, but I personally consider Graendal to be the worst. I guess in some ways Rahvin was similar to her, but he seemed happy just having his harem, where with Graendal destroying someone's very being was the entire point.

Ugh, I can't believe I wrote "just having his harem"
Ok they're all awful and trying to rate them in terms of awfulness is pointless

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah like, "I decided to become an embodiment of evil and terrorize the world...so I could listen to and make music forever" sounds better but when you look at it closely, seriously man?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The guide basically states that even the "best" of the forsaken still controlled cities that rounded up non-dark friends and fed them to Trollocs.

It also says that the forsaken we know are just the remaining forsaken that were trapped with the dark one. There were forsaken that came before them that just didn't survive until the sealing of the DO's prison. Shame we never got to hear about them.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

UltraRed posted:

The guide basically states that even the "best" of the forsaken still controlled cities that rounded up non-dark friends and fed them to Trollocs.

It also says that the forsaken we know are just the remaining forsaken that were trapped with the dark one. There were forsaken that came before them that just didn't survive until the sealing of the DO's prison. Shame we never got to hear about them.

Presumably their names survive in demonology and mythology to some extent. Maybe the two surviving Forsaken coughed up a complete history of the War of Power and reintroduced their names to historical record in the next age.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

"The Shadow Rising, ch. 5: Questioners posted:

“Stilling is not a thing anyone would choose to study, you understand,” Nynaeve continued. “It is generally accepted to be irreversible. What makes a woman able to channel cannot be replaced once it is removed, any more than a hand that has been cut off can be Healed back into existence.”

Just, you know, for instance.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

There's a bunch of little things like that, offhand comments that foreshadow future events. It's what's making the re-read so fun for me

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Seriously. I haven't listened to the audiobooks before, but part of why I like it is that the pace is slower than my reading, and never skims over familiar material. I'm catching those little things a lot more frequently than I'm used to.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's a cool scene in Ebou Dar I think, where Mat is once again asking random people whether they know the "Daughter of the Nine Moons". One guy in the tavern suddenly gets a coughing fit, but Mat doesn't pay attention to that. At the end of the book, the same guy is riding away from the city and thinking to himself that he hopes the Altarans resist the Return, since it will give more opportunities for looting. I certainly didn't pick this up on my first read.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Everyone complains about Perrin spending three books moping about how his wife is a captive, but Faile and him fighting in The Shadow Rising is just insufferable.

Gaul, however, remains the best.

quote:

“Come with me?” Perrin felt stunned. If he had Aiel with him. . . . There were possibilities he had not dared consider before. “Rand asked you to come with me? To the Two Rivers?”

Gaul shook his head again. “He said only that you were going, and that there were men who might try to kill you. I mean to accompany you, though, if you will have me.”

“Will I?” Perrin almost laughed. “I will that. We will be into the Ways in a few hours.”

“The Ways?” Gaul’s expression did not change, but he blinked.

“Does that make a difference?”

“Death comes for all men, Perrin.” It was hardly a comforting answer.
It's one of my favorite lines. Aiel humor is the best.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Vavrek posted:

Everyone complains about Perrin spending three books moping about how his wife is a captive, but Faile and him fighting in The Shadow Rising is just insufferable.

Gaul, however, remains the best.

It's one of my favorite lines. Aiel humor is the best.

He is! He has one of my favourite jokes in the Sanderson books.

quote:

"Come in, Gaul," he called. "My shade is yours."

The tall Aiel strode in. "Thank you, Perrin Aybara," he said, glancing at the ham. "Quite a feast. Do you celebrate?"

"Nothing besides breakfast."

"A mighty victory," Gaul said, laughing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Gaul owns

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

An incredibly stupid/insightful pun has just come to me.

What can be said about Aiel humor, compared to Wetlander jokes?

Well, it's very dry.

:negative:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

:hmmyes:

Vavrek posted:

An incredibly stupid/insightful pun has just come to me.

What can be said about Aiel humor, compared to Wetlander jokes?

Well, it's very dry.

:negative:

:hmmno:

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Hope the show doesn't have aiel struggling to say "River" while wetlanders can say algai'd'siswai without batting an eye

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I still like Mangin. Dude knew he hosed up, confessed, and paid the price for it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I still like Mangin. Dude knew he hosed up, confessed, and paid the price for it.

I still get sad when I read that part.

The best segment of it though is when he leaves, Rand giving Berelain poo poo for not applying the law and needing him to step in.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I completely understand Aiel humor. Stupid wetlanders are dense as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

I completely understand Aiel humor. Stupid wetlanders are dense as poo poo.

I shared their confusion the first time I read it

Now on my reread I totally get it and loving every interaction. Nynaeve and the Maidens, Mat outside the Stone, Perrin meeting the random ones in the woods, they're all great and amazingly consistent through the series

Nynaeve and the Maidens is especially good because they're constantly riffing on Aviendha refusing to go with the Wise Ones