Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jamfrost posted:

That moment when you realize you can fulton yourself if you're in vehicle.
Or on a resource container. Fultoning is a hilarious idea and MGSV does it justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Or on a resource container. Fultoning is a hilarious idea and MGSV does it justice.

I wish Konami would port at least Peace Walker to the PC because I think it does a lot of the gameplay better than MGSV.

Also I'm pretty sure for every story ally you recruit, you fulton them right inside the cutscene, screaming all the way to your war crimes clubhouse.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Kaz pipes up when you fulton a woman and he says "alright".

Does he do that in MGSV too? I forgot.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 30, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Kaz pipes up when you fulton a woman and he says "alright".

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shouting out for Daemon X Machina in the golden week sale.
It's not a huge game, or a particularly pretty game. But you do get to build a giant robot and fight with it, and you get to paint the robot.
If that sounds like your thing you should get it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
The new AC Vikings trailer just dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEXgaEGpfHc

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Does he do that in MGSV too? I forgot.

No, and probably because there are zero women soldiers out in the field. I think the only time you can Fulton a female soldier is in an FOB invasion, maybe?

Also, I don't really think Peacewalker does gameplay better than MGS5 at all. It's a proto-MGS5, but doesn't top it in gameplay in any way.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Joe Man posted:

The new AC Vikings trailer just dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEXgaEGpfHc

I laughed, thank you

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

No, and probably because there are zero women soldiers out in the field. I think the only time you can Fulton a female soldier is in an FOB invasion, maybe?

Also, I don't really think Peacewalker does gameplay better than MGS5 at all. It's a proto-MGS5, but doesn't top it in gameplay in any way.

I liked the base management more than MGSV .

There are definitely female pows at least, I do remember female soldiers being super rare in V.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Look Sir Droids posted:

There’s a side mission where you can Fulton some out. It’s repeatable so if you want you can have a lot of women in your mercenary army.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Right, I forgot about the POWs. Kaz doesn't comment on them though.

I will say the one thing PW has on MGS5 is character. I was really disappointed when MGS5 didn't have a Date with Ocelot mission. Venom Snake did not invent Doritos or Mountain Dew either. Kazburgers pales in comparison.

TiltedAtWindmills
Sep 4, 2009
Is the version of Tales of Symphonia on steam a good port?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

TiltedAtWindmills posted:

Is the version of Tales of Symphonia on steam a good port?
There are good Tales ports, but Symphonia is supposed to be one of the worst for a number of reasons.

Steam forums posted:

-If you change your key bindings, the keyboard controls will not work properly. Whenever you try to push a crate, it doesn't work, forcing you to use default key bindings OR a gamepad;

-The game is locked at 30 FPS;

-Resolution (INTERNAL resolution!!!) is locked at 720p;

-The game has too much DRM. The weirdest one is the VMProtect, that makes it impossible for you to use injectors (like SweetFX). Also, because of this DRM, some antivirus will not allow the game to start, claiming it's a virus;

-The game seems to crash or freeze for quite a few people;

-Doesn't support Antialiazing. You can't even force something like SMAA, the game won't even acknowledge it;
At 75% off it might still be worth trying, though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StrixNebulosa posted:

*grumbles at broken headphone jack making use of this controller to be annoying* -- but yes, I do have one! Okay, good, that's going in the cart. I need some variety with my games or else I go mad.

I will say that it's probably a good idea to play the Project Wingman demo if you've never played an Ace Combat before, just to see if it's up your alley. Wingman is pretty great.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lord Lambeth posted:

I liked the base management more than MGSV .

There are definitely female pows at least, I do remember female soldiers being super rare in V.
Pretty sure the Skulls have female members.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Look Sir Droids posted:

Peace Walker is the best iteration of the classic MGS control scheme but it's still the MGS control scheme (but you can't crawl while prone) so it feels super goddamn clunky compared to MGSV.

I still want it on PC so I can co-op with buddies tho.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
All these weird japanese games on sale are amazing to look at.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1191070/Yuki_Onna/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/725330/Zelle/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/338100/_/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1130620/Aka_Manto/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/338090/ATLAS/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/633110/FAST_BEAT_LOOP_RACER_GT__GT/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1087720/Your_Island_KIMI_NO_SIMA/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/928690/_47/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1183480/Bonsai_Castles/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/557420/Kamio_Recoil/

I mean come on, listen to the trailer for this one: https://store.steampowered.com/app/693950/_VS/

And then there's this which doesn't look very japanese but looks great anyway.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1163910/Brass_Brigade/

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hey this Generation Zero game is pretty rad actually, it is balls hard to start out but I had a friend join me and it made things much more manageable. Also the death penalty is pretty forgiving, you get to spawn at a safe house and the progress you made on the mission is saved. I convinced a few others to try it out I'm looking forward to getting a bigger group together as this does seem like the kind of game that is best enjoyed with company.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ultrafilter posted:

How much did the average person's life change because of any of that? Was it any way comparable to the development of the automobile, the PC, the internet or the smartphone?
I didn't know until during/after I played but the era from Origins is really popular as apocalyptic historical fiction. That is there were Egyptian people's living out what we generally picked up as "the apocalypse" in the two millenia since. You had massive climate change and the desertification of North Africa turning villages into places you just don't go any more and you get charlatans moving in trying to convince people to come back as a get rich quick scheme, or occasionally trying to set up their own fief. You had dramatic political upheaval for the middle class with the intermixing of the Alexandrian remnants with the rising Romans and an era that never decided if it liked republicanism, democracy, or fascism better. With the political mixing came religious mixing when polytheism barely removed from animalism is met with the unwavering authority of state cults starting to get ideas from monotheists.

Historical fiction is obviously going to take the salacious parts but most of the primary sources say the time period covered by Origins alone was really wild.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

explosivo posted:

Hey this Generation Zero game is pretty rad actually, it is balls hard to start out but I had a friend join me and it made things much more manageable. Also the death penalty is pretty forgiving, you get to spawn at a safe house and the progress you made on the mission is saved. I convinced a few others to try it out I'm looking forward to getting a bigger group together as this does seem like the kind of game that is best enjoyed with company.

Whats with the flood of reviews saying that the last update killed the game? Something about the inventory system?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Whats with the flood of reviews saying that the last update killed the game? Something about the inventory system?

Apparently the game used to have a Day Z tetris style inventory system and now it does not. It seems like a net improvement imo, the one obnoxious thing is that every item has to be assigned a slot before using. This would be annoying on its own but the problem is when you run out of an item it clears the slot out. So if I run out of medpacks assigned to slot 4 in the middle of a battle and find another one, I have to open the inventory and assign it back to that slot again before I can use it.

It's annoying for sure but not THAT bad and it seems like the kind of thing that they'd easily patch once they see everyone hates it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

About the actual Viking Creed trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKjUAWlbTJk

Is it me Is it just me being a history nerd, or are those "woo, chaotic battle scene! All you extras should pair up and vaguely wave your weapons at each other in the background! What's that... the viking era was literally defined by 'shield walls'? Nah, that doesn't sound the least bit interesting" so goddamned worn out?

I mean, all these extras are computer generated - you can't even claim that you're saving on expenses \ training \ choreography. You're just emulating every single other Hollywood battlefield in an effort to make things are generic as possible.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 30, 2020

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
#likeaviking
touched for the very first time

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
They already completely ignored phalanx warfare for Odyssey, and while it's a bit annoying, I can completely see why. It's hard to have a player character who can run around and single-handedly turn the tide of a battle when you make the gameplay reflect the historical reality of group cohesion mattering far above the contributions of any individual fighter.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Hard at work over at the Epic Games Store.

Snowrunner is great.

Edit: The snow btw is in Alaska, which is one of 3 regions with 4 maps each. I'm still in the first map of the first region (Michigan) after half a dozen hours because there's actually poo poo to do unlike in previous games in the series.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 30, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Xander77 posted:

Is it me Is it just me being a history nerd, or are those "woo, chaotic battle scene! All you extras should pair up and vaguely wave your weapons at each other in the background! What's that... the viking era was literally defined by 'shield walls'? Nah, that doesn't sound the least bit interesting" so goddamned worn out?

I mean, all these extras are computer generated - you can't even claim that you're saving on expenses \ training \ choreography. You're just emulating every single other Hollywood battlefield in an effort to make things are generic as possible.

I'm willing to let this kinda thing slide. While I know that my history self would nerd the gently caress out to see realistic depictions of the types of battles, it just wouldn't be fun as a game for 95% of people. Almost no one wants to sit in a shield wall and push against the other side until a spear sneaks through and gets you.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm willing to let this kinda thing slide. While I know that my history self would nerd the gently caress out to see realistic depictions of the types of battles, it just wouldn't be fun as a game for 95% of people. Almost no one wants to sit in a shield wall and push against the other side until a spear sneaks through and gets you.
I mean, cutscenes don't even have to realistically represent gameplay (and they don't).

(Also, stuff like Mount and Blade actually encourages formations, and that seems to be fine with people)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Xander77 posted:

(Also, stuff like Mount and Blade actually encourages formations, and that seems to be fine with people)
Mount and Blade also puts you in command of the entire army. Bit of a difference.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I am also a history nerd and care about such things but here no, it doesn't matter.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Xander77 posted:

Viking: Battle for Asgard is the best Viking game. A very fragile main character, who can take equal fights very well, gets into big trouble when outnumbered, almost exclusively fights in a guerilla style and in big army battles relies on lots of men and formation combat (and dragon airstrikes).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

mobby_6kl posted:

This is from this synthwave raccoon skateboarding game apparently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiyiaqlaiTA

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Personally, I'm most excited to see what Layla Hassan gets up to!!!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

DatonKallandor posted:

Viking: Battle for Asgard is the best Viking game. A very fragile main character, who can take equal fights very well, gets into big trouble when outnumbered, almost exclusively fights in a guerilla style and in big army battles relies on lots of men and formation combat (and dragon airstrikes).

If only it were fun to actually play.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

*longboarding, so basically the only way to make that description even more chill. Looks super satisfying.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hot drat if this isn't the most perfect title I've seen in a while.

https://twitter.com/bpmgame/status/1255859452055556097

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Goddamn. That and the raccoon one look fuckin great.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
SLAY HOARDES OF MONSTERS!

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

MGSV is great. It's just reached that point where the only people left who've played it and still stay in the Steam thread will pick it apart for all its flaws (which are all multiplayer or story related). But the fundamental gameplay is fantastic, and at 4 bucks it's a must buy.

Paradoxish posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for either a Puzzle Quest-style "casual" game or a light, turn-based roguelike-ish thing that doesn't require constant attention? I'm stuck in endless useless Zoom meetings instead of doing actual work now that one of my clients made their whole staff WFH, and I need something to occupy myself with that doesn't require a ton of attention. I played through and beat Ancient Enemy in two days of meetings, so I need something new.

This might be a bit off but easy SRPGs work really well for me. King's Bounty was one I played a long a time ago during calls, more recently Fell Seal (and you can crank up the combat speed to 200% if you want).

Real life option is to turn off your video (because you have a 'bad connection') and spend that time working out. I do that all of my weekly check in meetings and it's been an ok replacement for my gym time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Has anyone else been having issues with Steam today and yesterday? My download speed is literally like 30KB/s.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Has anyone else been having issues with Steam today and yesterday? My download speed is literally like 30KB/s.

Have you tried switching download regions? That helped me sometimes.

On another note, is Steam library sluggish for anyone? It's literally a slideshow when I try to scroll through my list of owned games it sucks. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

shoc77 posted:

On another note, is Steam library sluggish for anyone? It's literally a slideshow when I try to scroll through my list of owned games it sucks. :(

Yes. It's a complete random nightmare if it'll work for you 'fine' or not. The more games you have, the worse your odds are.