Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
So I accidentally threw a pipe at a guy in the sewer level, it came back and I somehow caught it again, hit another guy from behind with it, hit another one coming from the front and when it broke turned to the first guy who was getting up again, and combo'd him ending in a grand upper. This game is amaaaaazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Necrothatcher posted:

Same here. I get connection failed every time I try. It also crashes to desktop randomly. Once during an end stage boss. I'm going to play something else until it's patched. Shame because it's so much fun. :(

:siren: To anyone on PC Gamepass who can't connect. :siren:

Make sure you don't have a VPN currently running. This is what solved the problem for me:

1. Right-click the Start button, and then select Device Manager.
2. Select View > Show Hidden Devices.
3. Select Network Adapters.
4. Identify any adapters that have a name like TAP-Windows. Right-click the adapter name, and then select Disable.

I did this for a NordVPN device and after that I was able to connect in the online lobbies.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

I attempted to back that, and a couple of months ago I received a Kickstarter update email basically implying that they were still going ahead with it in some way and suggesting I sign up to a mailing list for future updates. (I was too lazy to do so).
There are four arcade cabinets scattered throughout the game. Each one has a taser nearby (sometimes in an enemy's hands, sometimes hidden behind the environment), and each has a unique retro boss for you to fight if you zap it. You don't lose a life if you die while fighting the retro boss, you just get kicked back to reality. As far as rewards go, each of these arenas has a Star and a food pickup in some breakable object or other.

Ahh wow OK that explains how I encountered him, must have had the taser on me! Thanks for the heads up I'll check the other machines out next playthrough

Going to play some more. So Story Mode saves the game after every chapter for you to pick up later? What's the point of Arcade Mode? Also how does online multiplayer work? You just join some random dudes game mid level?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

:siren: To anyone on PC Gamepass who can't connect. :siren:

Make sure you don't have a VPN currently running. This is what solved the problem for me:

1. Right-click the Start button, and then select Device Manager.
2. Select View > Show Hidden Devices.
3. Select Network Adapters.
4. Identify any adapters that have a name like TAP-Windows. Right-click the adapter name, and then select Disable.

I did this for a NordVPN device and after that I was able to connect in the online lobbies.

Thanks!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

So far it seems like Cherry and Adam are the most powerful characters, with everyone else having some strengths and weaknesses.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Social Animal posted:

So Story Mode saves the game after every chapter for you to pick up later? What's the point of Arcade Mode?
Arcade Mode is no saving, one credit, no between-level character changing. You have to beat the entire campaign in one sitting. Just like old times.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
1? Even Streets of Rage itself gave you 2 continues.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Things I want in the DLC:
An ending
Roo
Speedrun mode a la Fight'n Rage (just a timer really)

Things we'll probably get:
Shiva
Mohawk blonde cop
any other bosses with an obvious Star Move (snake and fire ladies, bartender, Y Twins)

Still worth it, can't wait to unlock Skate and do a speedrun.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Finished Story Mode on Normal with Axel. Got sick of game-overing in Stage 12 and used an Assist to grab some extra lives/stars for my next attempt aaaaaand then smashed it and was able to successfully finish the stage and the final boss fights without needing any of the stuff the Assist provided. RIP my score for nothing!

What a wonderful game and what a lovingly crafted beat-em-up. I don't know that I'd want to play as Axel again in a hurry (I briefly tried out Floyd and he's wonderful) but I figure he'll make a good baseline playthrough to compare the others to.

I felt like the difficulty was mostly on the level - some of the boss superarmour felt excessive, the Stage 2 boss in particular it feels like spends 90% of their time armored and throwing out huge damaging moves and he was the only boss that I had a ton of trouble with. A few particular screens in levels gave me a lot of trouble, the dojo level and it's room packed with Garcias with spears, for example. Anything involving far too many of the fire/poison/electricity enemies as well. Enemy throwables and stage hazards combined can lead to some super lovely feeling outcomes with knockback where you uncontrollably bounce around like a pinball soaking up a ridiculous amount of unavoidable damage.

Outside of that, any moments of perceived cheapness were generally a "me problem" though in that they occurred due to me positioning myself poorly or overcommitting to offense.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

I felt like the difficulty was mostly on the level - some of the boss superarmour felt excessive, the Stage 2 boss in particular it feels like spends 90% of their time armored and throwing out huge damaging moves and he was the only boss that I had a ton of trouble with. A few particular screens in levels gave me a lot of trouble, the dojo level and it's room packed with Garcias with spears, for example. Anything involving far too many of the fire/poison/electricity enemies as well. Enemy throwables and stage hazards combined can lead to some super lovely feeling outcomes with knockback where you uncontrollably bounce around like a pinball soaking up a ridiculous amount of unavoidable damage.

Something I didn't discover until my second time through the game is that you can also grab flasks + grenades midair to throw back at them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Quad posted:

Things I want in the DLC:
An ending
Roo
Speedrun mode a la Fight'n Rage (just a timer really)

Things we'll probably get:
Shiva
Mohawk blonde cop
any other bosses with an obvious Star Move (snake and fire ladies, bartender, Y Twins)

Still worth it, can't wait to unlock Skate and do a speedrun.

Well one of those characters I think is already an unlockable in the game.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Bloodly posted:

1? Even Streets of Rage itself gave you 2 continues.

Streets of Rage was also a Coin-op back in the day :)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

This game is kicking my rear end on normal, and there are still three higher difficulty levels!

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Rising Up is probably video game song of the year.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Firstborn posted:

Hurts to hear this and know it's true when he's my favorite. Did you see the combo video I posted, though? He feels like they were trying to turn him into Max like SOR2, slow and strong, but gave up halfway. Still feels good to to do his full combo into grand upper and he has a few easy combos.

Flashy combo like attack x4, grand upper, cancel grand after the first two hits into forward+special, then cancel the forward+special before the big uppercut into your star is great. You can juggle them a bit on the way down, too. Try juggling with jumping down+attack x2, then cancel in the air into air special.

Oh, Axel has plenty of combo potential, it's just with his mobility he kinda needed an oh poo poo button like Adam actually has. Adam's F-special is significantly harder to use in combos but it has actual i-frames which can get you out of tough spots. And he has a better walk speed and dash and a better jump kick. Everything he does is so much safer than Axel.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Finished a normal playthrough with various characters, playing hard now on some characters I haven't used. I've found that playing online with random players on the switch sometimes causes the frame rate to drop like (Axel) Stone, is that something common on all platforms?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Something I didn't discover until my second time through the game is that you can also grab flasks + grenades midair to throw back at them.

Makes sense. This would've helped a ton. :cripes:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The final stage on harder difficulties is kind of ridiculous. Literally every screen has some dumb gimmick that can wipe you and you have to manage your turkeys perfectly. And then the final boss form takes forever to die since to my knowledge you can't combo it. I'm relieved every time I beat it but it's one chapter I never wanna replay.

I'm hoping they eventually put in an Endless Mode since I'd like to beat on some dudes endlessly without having to switch levels.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finally got a chance to play last night, game is real good. I was worried about the art style, but it all just sort of fades into the background when you’re actually playing.

I started with axel of course but got my rear end handed to me on hard pretty quickly. Switched to Blaze on normal after that and things went a lot easier.

They really got the feel of the hits right on this game, which is 99% of my enjoyment factor. I’m so relieved they nailed it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pesmerga posted:

Rising Up is probably video game song of the year.

I love it but Shiva and Lift The Ground are my jams.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The most irritating thing about this game is just how many bosses have or use super armor in some way

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For whoever was asking how the switch version runs. Here is your in-depth answer:

https://youtu.be/hkHtw4MTSho

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Anyone try remote play with this yet?

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

blackguy32 posted:

The most irritating thing about this game is just how many bosses have or use super armor in some way

Yeah, that's the big flaw for me as well. The Commisioner isn't difficult to beat, it's just a matter of waiting for him to stop being a big flying around armoured dingus so you can actually hit him. Also Diva has one move where she'll activate armour and counter-hit you in the time between you throwing a punch and it connecting, which is pretty bullshit.

Also it's a bit silly that the easiest way to beat the muay thai guys is to close in and hammer them in the clinch but eh, videogames.

Kaddish posted:

Anyone try remote play with this yet?

I remote played it with my mother yesterday [she's 60 and really likes hyperviolent videogames, go mum!] and it ran pretty smooth. Occasional hitching and jerking, but that seemed to be cause my mum's PC isn't the best.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For whoever was asking how the switch version runs. Here is your in-depth answer:

https://youtu.be/hkHtw4MTSho

I dont get how people thought that a 2D brawler was going to perform worse on switch than on any other platform.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
At any point does the game say to only trust your fists and that police will never help you?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

PunkBoy posted:

At any point does the game say to only trust your fists and that police will never help you?

They don't explicitly say it but you do spend quite a bit of time using your fists against the police.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Mercury Crusader posted:

They don't explicitly say it but you do spend quite a bit of time using your fists against the police.

:hmmyes:

I'll accept this.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

I dont get how people thought that a 2D brawler was going to perform worse on switch than on any other platform.

Because lots of devs are lazy and straight up port things from much more powerful platforms to the switch and don’t change anything in the process. Then they go “oh it performs like garbage?” :iiam:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

Whipping cop rear end is so immensely satisfying in this game, especially when you stop them from beating down a criminal and then get to beat up the criminal too.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Also at least one cop does help you, so...

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I am finding Ruby and Diamond really loving annoying in the Old Pier stage and almost impossible to avoid when engaged with anyone else on the screen

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The worst enemy for me are the short mohawk people because MY GOD that dash attack hitbox's huge. Like I've lost most of my lives to them

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The loving knife-wielding Galsias literally triggered bad childhood memories with SOR2 for me, haha. I love this game and how it breaks my brain so good.

Also gently caress those Orange Cassidy hands-in-pockets guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01CjXQjBnaQ

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 1, 2020

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Also gently caress those Orange Cassidy hands-in-pockets guys

honestly gently caress anyone who's main attack is a flying kick

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

God drat I just finished level 8 and the music for that level loving slams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2maw0rBa6w

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Disgusting Coward posted:

Yeah, that's the big flaw for me as well. The Commisioner isn't difficult to beat, it's just a matter of waiting for him to stop being a big flying around armoured dingus so you can actually hit him. Also Diva has one move where she'll activate armour and counter-hit you in the time between you throwing a punch and it connecting, which is pretty bullshit.

I kinda get why they did it, because the bosses without the armor are really easy- they don't know how to make a boss actually counterattack effectively so they just give them armor so they do their thing or they just get completely owned and comboed.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

AndrewP posted:

honestly gently caress anyone who's main attack is a flying kick

I am still working through the game as Axel but I just simply use my standing special to swat them out of the air.

Of course that is a good way to potentially burn your own health, and god help you if someone comes at you during the cooldown.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, defensive special seems like the only thing that is effective as an anti-air, honestly.

in other strange news, I could easily alt-tab into and out of SOR4 last night while playing, but if I do it today (or use my mouse to click out, or try and change the game mode from Fullscreen in the options) it just goes to an unresponsive black screen. Anybody else had that issue or a fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

So far it seems like Cherry and Adam are the most powerful characters, with everyone else having some strengths and weaknesses.

funny thing is I had to get used to how Cherry's attacks go + some delay on her specials. Axel felt more grounded and predictable with how his attacks hit for me + I like his air special/defensive whirl. Maybe it's my imagination (probably is) but I felt I took a little more damage as Cherry.