Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'm voting for Romero but I believe Return of the Living Dead is the best zombie movie ever made. It's just that Romero made three that are on about the same level, even if I don't like any of them quite as much as Return.

Agreed.

I could pretty much watch Return of the Living Dead any day of the week, or any special features and commentary for it and just have a blast. And I love the character designs, and the world, and the sense of humor, and that green smoke, and on and on and on.

However, I could put on any of the original three Romero zombie flicks and be impressed with them, and how hard they hit, and how enjoyable they are.

I could throw on Return 3 and enjoy it, but that's not the same as being impressed by Romero's series.

One big gripe no one's mentioned, and I could see it weighing in on someone's votes, but finding a preferred version of Dawn of the Dead has been a pain in the rear end for years, and now it's just expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea Return 3 was something to factor in for the earlier rounds when the competition wasn't as tough but now we're talking about Romero. Return 3 is pretty good but it's not in the same ballpark.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I have a tarman/juicy zombie sticker on my car so I'm legally required to vote that way.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

I have a tarman/juicy zombie sticker on my car so I'm legally required to vote that way.

I have what I assume is the same sticker on my work laptop, but even still, the combined firepower of Night, Dawn and Day is kinda too much for even Return of the Living Dead 1 (and kinda 3, I guess) to overcome. And I say that as someone who thinks RotLD is better than any 1 of those 3 films.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also, I want to argue that Barbara Crampton is the better Beautiful Horror Goddess, but Linnea Quigley kinda made a career about of being the nude cutie in trashy horror movies, so I can't find the energy.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I can gently caress with Return of the Living Dead being better than Day or even Dawn.

But get outta here if you can watch Ben's monologue and tell me that it's not the better film. Like I love the goofiness of Return and the zombie effects a lot... but I don't think there's anything on this list that gets me every time like the end of NotLD. I've never become desensitized for it. It truly disturbs me.

Being important or having a message isn't everything to a movie... but Spider isn't a really great depiction, less in terms of performance, and more his dynamic with the old white guys.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
After reading this thread, I have changed my vote, to vote against Universal Monsters because... I don't think it's a franchise really now that we've talked about it. I think it's a collection of franchises and when we do this again later maybe they should have entries (There are A LOT of franchises we've left off here anyway), but as a "franchise" argument, I think there is distinction between that and a Universe, which also doesn't collect all the Universal Monsters fully anyway.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Romero vs. Return is an interesting debate because percentage-wise I think it's a very close parallel to Chucky vs. Universal. Even Universal's staunchest defenders admit that it's a wildly uneven set, where despite there being several all-time greats they're surrounded by some mediocrity and some dreck. Child's Play, on the other hand, is (excepting Evil Dead) the single most consistently high-quality franchise in horror history. Sure there's probably no individual movie in there you love as much as Bride, but the fact that we're like seven movies deep and the only one that gets any actual hate from anyone (seed) gets a similar amount of love from other audiences. The actual nadir of this franchise is Child's Play 3, and it's still got some good stuff (https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3412431/lets-admire-awesome-haunted-attraction-childs-play-3/). The rest is all good to great, weaving across subgenres and maintaining a strong sense of continuity and character. It's the best Brad Dourif showcase we've got, and he's the best part of most of the movies he's in. Like, without him the Exorcist franchise is down to one great movie. And you get tons of him here!

Chucky is Romero, is what I'm getting at here, but with a better average. I'm still going to try to watch the Frankenstein core before I finalize my vote, but I'm having trouble finding a good copy of the original so that's been a pain.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
We need to cut through the Universal Horror is mostly dreck sentiment that is forming.

Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Dracula
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

Are all not just good, but incredibly important movies. And even when we go lower, Wolfman and Son of Frankenstein are still good if not as great as earlier entries. I'd argue that even with Ghost of Frankenstein is not great, there are still some important scifi and horror aesthetics to be found in it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sarx posted:

I think it's a collection of franchises and when we do this again later maybe they should have entries (There are A LOT of franchises we've left off here anyway)

While I agree, most of us are already guilty of not watching all the films we're voting for. I don't want to see the Hammer Frankenstein series lose based on 5% of the voters having seen them.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'm curious what other franchises have been left off if we were to do this again next year. Could have a more competitive playoff round as well to make the bracket, and weed out some of the weaker competition from the getgo.

- Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
- Carnosaur
- Cloverfield
- Creature from the Black Lagoon (assuming a better defined breakup of the Universal horror films)
- Gingerdead Man
- Hammer Frankenstein
- The Howling
- House (American, not Hausu)
- Insidious
- Lake Placid
- The Lost Boys
- Mark of the Devil
- Mr. Vampire
- The Mummy (Brendan Fraisier-verse)
- Night of the Demons
- [REC]
- Ringu
- Scary Movie
- Subspecies
- Tombs of the Blind Dead
- Xtro
- Zombie (Fulci, though this could get messy)

If we wanted to open up to films with remakes there's Carrie, Cat People, Fright Night, Ghostbusters and The Thing, which would significantly shake up the bracket I think. Could count The Fly as well since it has three in continuity films from the original and then two in the remake continuity.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 12, 2020

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchescanado posted:

One big gripe no one's mentioned, and I could see it weighing in on someone's votes, but finding a preferred version of Dawn of the Dead has been a pain in the rear end for years, and now it's just expensive.

I'm torn between the European and Extended cuts. I've heard there's another cut, the Extended Mall Hours that's apparently everything from all the assorted cuts combined that I've not seen yet.

As far as the NotLD/RotLD argument goes, the Romero zombies were scary in their numbers, but drat the Russo ones when I first saw them running on the big screen had me legitly scared since if they ever happened, I'm not outrunning them even on my best days.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Personally I would like the next bracket battle to be...

Best Horror Director.

3 Horror Film Minimum to qualify.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Oh that's a good idea.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm curious what other franchises have been left off if we were to do this again next year. Could have a more competitive playoff round as well to make the bracket, and weed out some of the weaker competition from the getgo.

- Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
- Carnosaur
- Cloverfield
- Creature from the Black Lagoon (assuming a better defined breakup of the Universal horror films)
- Gingerdead Man
- Hammer Frankenstein
- The Howling
- House (American, not Hausu)
- Insidious
- Lake Placid
- The Lost Boys
- Mark of the Devil
- The Mummy (Brendan Fraisier-verse)
- Night of the Demons
- [REC]
- Ringu
- Tombs of the Blind Dead

If we wanted to open up to films with remakes there's Carrie, Cat People, Fright Night and The Thing, which would significantly shake up the bracket I think. Could count The Fly as well since it has three in continuity films from the original and then two in the remake continuity.

NIT, baby. NIT.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

Best Horror Director.

Oh that'd be a fist fight by the end

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

We need to cut through the Universal Horror is mostly dreck sentiment that is forming.

Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Dracula

Are all not just good, but incredibly important movies. And even when we go lower, Wolfman and Son of Frankenstein are still good if not as great as earlier entries. I'd argue that even with Ghost of Frankenstein is not great, there are still some important scifi and horror aesthetics to be found in it.

You have one legit good movie listed there, and at least two that are overrated. The Wolf Man is boring and repetitive, and Ghost of Frankenstein isn't much better. (Son of Frankenstein I'll grant you; I think that's my legit favorite movie from the UM series.)

I think the problem isn't that most of the UM series isn't "dreck," per se, but it is very dated, stilted and dull. They're mostly two-star mediocre films, at best. And even with the narrowed focus that we're using for this bracket discussion - we left off the entire Mummy branch, which is actually improving the overall standing of the whole thing - this is still one or two good-to-great films being weighed down by half a dozen or more bad-to-okay films.

That's why it makes more sense to vote for the Child's Play series. Yes, none of the movies are individually better than the best Universal Monster films. But, pretty much none of them are as boring as most of the random UM sequels (say what you will about the quality of Seed of Chucky as a movie, it is certainly not boring), and all have more consistent quality overall. I'd much rather vote for several pretty good films than 1 or 2 very good films and a dozen mediocre ones.

Franchescanado posted:

Best Horror Director.

Wouldn't that just be a race to see who loses to John Carpenter in the final round?

Class3KillStorm fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 30, 2020

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Whoops, double post

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Class3KillStorm posted:

Wouldn't that just be a race to see who loses to John Carpenter in the final round?

You'd get some A-tier directors that aren't represented on this bracket at all: David Lynch, David Cronenberg, Roger Corman, Herschell Gordon Lewis, Lucio Fulci, Dario Argento

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Burkion posted:

Oh that'd be a fist fight by the end

If you nominate a director, you toxx clause for that director.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

TrixRabbi posted:

oh god

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Class3KillStorm posted:

You have one legit good movie listed there, and at least two that are overrated.
Hot-take: The cool kid opinion that Bride of Frankenstein is the better film has broken off into this weird radical thought that Frankenstein is not actually great.

Yes, Bride is incredible and the advances are undeniable. But Colin Clive and Karloff both give astounding performances. The make-up and design of the monster are game changers. And people really need to watch it with the queer lens. I've been championing this for years, but OG Frankenstein is the gayer movie.

Even the technical marks you can level against it like the sparse sound design and rough cuts are bolstered by Whale's good instincts for striking shots and blocking, giving some scenes an almost found footage like feel.

Dracula is a much more shallow affair, but I stand by my statement that Lugosi's performance and their presentation of Dracula was revolutionary. It not only cemented the idea of the sexy and seductive vampire, but villainy on film in general. Lugosi is sexy and charming as the bad guy in a way that movie monsters and villains just often weren't. You can question if the film feels fresh to modern viewers, but I'd argue that it's not a movie of its time. It's a movie that defined its time and there's a difference.

I think Child's Play's overall consistency is a good argument if it's going against Nightmare or Friday the 13th or even Halloween. But the Universal Monster movies,even with the handicap we're running with, has three of the most important horror movies ever made. The Wolfman only being kinda sorta okay or House of Dracula being boring doesn't elevate the fact that Child's Play only has one great movie.

edit: everyone's factoring gayness in their rankings right?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MacheteZombie posted:

If you nominate a director, you toxx clause for that director.

Just one big ugly fist fight

Timeless Appeal posted:

They drat well better be, horror is the queerest genre out there.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

Hot-take: The cool kid opinion that Bride of Frankenstein is the better film has broken off into this weird radical thought that Frankenstein is not actually great.

I wasn't talking about Bride there.

Timeless Appeal posted:

When were we ever not?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

poo poo WRONG THREAD

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 1, 2020

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Class3KillStorm posted:

When were we ever not?
Well at least we can agree on something

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Class3KillStorm posted:

You have one legit good movie listed there, and at least two that are overrated.

Get outta town.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Archive.org has a bunch of the early Universal monster movies, if that's helpful to anyone catching up on them

Dracula
Frankenstein
The Invisible Man
Bride of Frankenstein
Dracula's Daughter
Son of Frankenstein
The Invisible Man Returns
The Wolf Man
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man
House of Frankenstein
House of Dracula (Not great quality)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Ok, just finished the first two Wishmaster films and I gotta say, the first one surprised me. Great effects, wild editing, vivid camerawork, goofy and fun. I mean, the movie *opens* with a skeleton ripping itself out of a man and it somehow keeps going up from there. In a way, it actually made me think about how much the way we communicate is dependent on things we want -- and the strange suspense that comes from the protagonist having to avoid requesting anything. Also, gotta wonder if the shots going inside the fire opal had any influence on Uncut Gems.

The second film is a significant step down. Seems to break its own internal logic from the get go when the burglar wishes he was never born (cool effect, but by the way the first film resolves shouldn't the art heist have never happened?). A little repetitive with some fun goofy moments, enjoy the visualization of all the souls at the end. Strange Christian subtext? But at the same time directed by the dude who did Nightmare on Elm Street 2 of all films, which I didn't notice until after I finished so now I'm completely rethinking the film's themes. A rehash, but Divoff seems to really relish the role and it ends up being light entertainment.

Still, going up against Friday it's bound to get blown out. Completely different leagues of films we're talking about.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TrixRabbi posted:

Wishmaster
Strange Christian subtext?

It's more likely than you might think!

stick around

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

Still, going up against Friday it's bound to get blown out. Completely different leagues of films we're talking about.
stop worrying about electability. If you like Wishmaster better, vote for it and it becomes de facto electable.

In other words,

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 1, 2020

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I'm really thinking on going back to change my vote from Universal to Chucky, I love both - but the arguments about which series being the most legit/fair are swaying me.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

stop worrying about electability. If you like Wishmaster better, vote for it and it becomes de facto electable.

In other words,

Woah now, I didn’t say I like Wishmaster better.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I watched Cult of Chucky last night and it's a big plus to the Chucky side of the argument. Not enough to tip the scales entirely for me, but the whole franchise is pretty consistent and I like that it keeps going in different directions.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Shrecknet getting awfully close to saying "I wish Wishmaster would win the tournament" and at that point I think he's putting us all at risk.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

I wish Wishmaster would win the tournament
Grrr-ANT-tedd-d!

https://i.imgur.com/MUZ7Ye5.mp4

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I've never even seen a Friday the 13th movie but I can guarantee you that Wishmaster is better than any of them. Vote Wishmaster or perish!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

married but discreet posted:

I've never even seen a Friday the 13th movie but I can guarantee you that Wishmaster is better than any of them. Vote Wishmaster or perish!

I've seen all of both and I couldn't vote against Wishmaster harder. Here's the thing about Wishmaster (I'm something of a Wishmaster expert you see): It sucks and isn't good and is bad and it's lame and it's bad. The first one was sort of ok. That's as much credit as I can give it outside of the lead performance (and Andrew Divoff didn't even stick with the series). Even the first movie is sort of a waste of its horror dream-team cast. The Wishmaster franchise is like if the Hellraiser franchise started off worse.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wonder what Divoff's feelings are on his decision to leave the role. Has he spoken about that?

I just wonder how it all went down because it's not like he was some hot new actor on the scene, he was a character guy who didn't exactly have a lot of big money roles in his past or his future. So why not do the Robert Englund/Doug Bradley thing and just ride Wishmaster for every penny it's worth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder what Divoff's feelings are on his decision to leave the role. Has he spoken about that?

I just wonder how it all went down because it's not like he was some hot new actor on the scene, he was a character guy who didn't exactly have a lot of big money roles in his past or his future. So why not do the Robert Englund/Doug Bradley thing and just ride Wishmaster for every penny it's worth?

I don't know how many pennies that series was worth after the second one.