Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I wholly recommend getting a personal articles policy for your drone. It’s dirt cheap and often less of a hassle than DJI care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Some people are telling me to return it to best buy and buy an air 2, my heart tells me i'm not good enough to fly of these. I'm kind of emotional over it tonight so i'll sleep on it and make a decision tomorrow.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I find that the bigger drones are easier to fly comfortably. That little mini can really haul some rear end for it's size and power, but when you're giving it the business it can really take a long time to pull up or change direction. The bigger camera drones can really stop fast, and depending on which one you go for they have the collision avoidance.

Also, that little mini can really leave you high and dry if the wind kicks up, and a bigger drone doesn't suffer that as much.

That being said I love bashing around my little mini.

Or just go like Alternative pants and FPV that poo poo that looks amazing.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I would not be buying an even more expensive camera drone when you crashed and destroyed the mini in just 3 days

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Splode posted:

I would not be buying an even more expensive camera drone when you crashed and destroyed the mini in just 3 days

Counterpoint, I would.

But I’m BWM

If you aren’t crashing you aren’t learning!

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Or just return it and get a tiny hawk 2 rtf kit when they come back in stock and get into fpv micros. It’ll be a lot more fun if you want to fly around like mad and not just record movies.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Swap it out at Best Buy? :capitalism:

Are there any features you really want on the Air 2?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Jonny 290 posted:

Some people are telling me to return it to best buy and buy an air 2, my heart tells me i'm not good enough to fly of these. I'm kind of emotional over it tonight so i'll sleep on it and make a decision tomorrow.

You are good enough, and dammit people like you! I'd say the Air 2 is good advice, afaik it has a lot more obstacle avoidance than the mine (which has pretty much none). Return it and live again.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

xsf421 posted:

Or just return it and get a tiny hawk 2 rtf kit when they come back in stock and get into fpv micros.

Do this! But also be aware that flying fpv quads is an actual skill that must be practiced, whereas Mavics are dirt simple and the only reason people crash is because of lack of situational awareness, not skill on the sticks.

But do it anyway. They are SO much more fun.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'd go with the Air 2 as well if you are considering it and have the extra cash. Not that I've flown a Mini or Air, but I'm super happy with my Mavic2. Despite the fact I haven't made any money from it yet!

In other news, oops:

https://blandmedia.com/crash.mp4

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
drat, that doesnt look nearly fast enough to cause that much damage, you must have nailed a really unlucky angle

was it a metal pole, or one of those telephone pole guy wires?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

It was a metal sign post (property marker?)

And that's not a real titanium armattan, it's a knockoff and feels like aluminimum. Which means I can't find a spare anywhere!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CloFan posted:

It was a metal sign post (property marker?)

And that's not a real titanium armattan, it's a knockoff and feels like aluminimum. Which means I can't find a spare anywhere!

ahhh both those points explains it then. And yeah the "spare parts" thing is what got me off of banggood frames. They look cool but its way more valuable to find a frame sold by local stores with plenty of spare arms even if it isnt as sexy

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014

Jonny 290 posted:

Unless you're severely uncoordinated you're definitely good enough to fly one. You just made a newbie mistake that you're unlikely to repeat. Don't fly near poo poo until you've had some time to get comfortable and you have a feel for how your drone handles. Your neighbors garage probably isn't that interesting to begin with! I usually ascend to at least 30m right away or whatever gets me high enough that there's no possibility of hitting anything. If I want to get down and close to something then I'll inch my way up to it carefully as gently caress.

Just echoing what a few others have said - I think you'd be better off with a Mavic air 2 if it's within your budget. It's just a vastly more capable drone with decent obstacle avoidance, tripod mode and much more stability. Minis seem like a logical starter drone but they're actually one of the most unforgiving things DJI has put out in awhile. The only reason I'd get a mini is if I lived somewhere that was completely inundated with no fly zones then coming in under the weight limit is really valuable.

Anyways don't get too discouraged. A week after I bought my Mavic 2 I was like gently caress YEAH ACTIVE TRACK IS SO COOL and had it follow me through a forest until it got wrapped up with a tiny branch, flipped upside down and smacked into the ground from about 8 feet. Thankfully I got really lucky and ended up with no damage other than a few busted props. If you wanna feel better just go on youtube and watch some moron fly their Inspire 2 into a tree or a lamp post :downs:

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Like the posters above have said, FPV is incredibly awesome, but comes with a fairly steep learning curve. The HD videos I'm posting are being recorded on my 5 inch (prop diameter) quad, the Buzz manufactured by Emax. It retails for about $250 depending on the seller. I also fly a 3 inch called an Armattan Gecko. It's much more forgiving to fly because it does not have as high a top speed, nor is it as heavy, meaning it loses momentum faster when you drop throttle. Because I got it with onboard DVR recording and an included receiver, it cost me $320-ish. If you want to get into FPV, but don't want to jump directly into a 5 inch, the Gecko is a good place to go after you've played with some whoop size indoor/outdoor quads. It's got Armattan's lifetime warranty on the carbon fiber and titanium components so if (when) something breaks, you can get it replaced for free. Armattan also has a 2 inch Tadpole model that looks like fun, but I haven't flown. The next step down is the whoop class. One poster mentioned the Tinyhawk 2 Ready-to-Fly kit. If it's available, get it. It's totally worth it and the Tinyhawk line of whoops hasn't disappointed me yet and I've flown the original, the S model, and the Freestyle model.

In any case, get something and fly it. That's the important thing. You will crash, but you'll get better. Then you'll crash again, but you'll keep getting better until you find a new way to crash.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

If you are crashing a Mavic, you should definitely not buy anything bigger, unless you live very isolated.

This is like crashing a small car and telling someone to go out buying a big truck instead.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

ImplicitAssembler posted:

If you are crashing a Mavic, you should definitely not buy anything bigger, unless you live very isolated.

This is like crashing a small car and telling someone to go out buying a big truck instead.

Well, not quite. The Mavic Air isn't that much bigger than the Mavic Mini, the controls are all exactly the same, and it has more safety features that help you avoid crashes :)

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

I could post about this poo poo all day. Any interest in a discord?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What's the deal with <250g drones now? Where can you fly them?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Warbird posted:

I had some some faint notion of mapping out the neighborhood over the course of several missions and throwing it all up on mapbox. I had been wanting to mess with GCPs a bit and got a bug in my bonnet that I may as well do it right. That said, "right" is doing this to the tune of a few hundred a day so that's not happening. I'm sure that's a very reasonable rate for for folks doin' it, but not for my dumb rear end piddling around.

That said, surveying might make for an interesting side hustle....

If you're doing the neighborhood you might already have built in GCPs if you can find the survey points in the area. Property bounds, manholes (depending on how good your town is at this sort of thing), etc.

In other good news, the FAA is letting people who are lapsing their 107 currencies take the online test reserved for "real" pilots to get a 6 month stay.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

shovelbum posted:

What's the deal with <250g drones now? Where can you fly them?

Anywhere! The FAA has domain over all drones >250g so manufacturers have started to just make lighter quads to get around it

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bumble Dong posted:

Anywhere! The FAA has domain over all drones >250g so manufacturers have started to just make lighter quads to get around it

So drones that are useful to the like half the country that lives near an airport (aka in any city)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

If you're doing the neighborhood you might already have built in GCPs if you can find the survey points in the area. Property bounds, manholes (depending on how good your town is at this sort of thing), etc.

In other good news, the FAA is letting people who are lapsing their 107 currencies take the online test reserved for "real" pilots to get a 6 month stay.

Yep, some dude on the drone mapping subreddit I was asking around at make the same suggestion and it’s a drat good one. I need to see if I can get a hold of that data from the town online.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Bumble Dong posted:

Counterpoint, I would.

But I’m BWM

If you aren’t crashing you aren’t learning!

If you're crashing gps stabilised obstacle avoiding camera platforms then you're just not paying attention. The solution is not to buy a more expensive, more dangerous one.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Splode posted:

If you're crashing gps stabilised obstacle avoiding camera platforms then you're just not paying attention. The solution is not to buy a more expensive, more dangerous one.

The Mini doesn't have the front and back crash avoidance sensors most of the othe DJI stuff does friendo. Going up to an Air 2 would make it somewhat more idiot proof as it has more than just vertical ones.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bumble Dong posted:

This may not be technically correct. They do a great job of obfuscating various aspects of restrictions. IIRC, sub 250g have all of the restrictions except for registration requirements, but may soon be restricted to AMA fields due to not being equipped with non-existent cellphone network telemetry modules.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pro tip: airport primary radar doesn't work below the horizon and no piloted aircraft should be flying lower than 500' AGL anywhere except within like a mile of an airport. no one's gonna know or care what you're doing with a drone if you stay low.

if you want to fly above 500', regardless of vehicle mass, you absolutely should register your drone and install all the beacons and poo poo because at those altitudes you're becoming a hazard to live human beings. i once flubbed a turn from base to final because a big silver mylar balloon floated up in front of me and I thought it was another airplane. don't make those sorts of situations.

e: except for helicopters. those are allowed to fly below 500 feet. stay away from helicopters.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 2, 2020

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Warbird posted:

The Mini doesn't have the front and back crash avoidance sensors most of the othe DJI stuff does friendo. Going up to an Air 2 would make it somewhat more idiot proof as it has more than just vertical ones.

It's still a highly stabilized drone that wont do anything you don't ask it to and even then, it does it gently. More power is definitely not the solution to avoid crashing into stuff. Don't rely on the sensors.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I like that a pilot of a real plane is like no consequences and A HERO if he survives crashing it into your house but flying a drone in your backyard below the roof level and you're a federal crook lmao

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

shovelbum posted:

I like that a pilot of a real plane is like no consequences and A HERO if he survives crashing it into your house but flying a drone in your backyard below the roof level and you're a federal crook lmao

lol I was talking to my wife about this the other night. We're in south florida and it seems like some old accountant is wiping himself and someone else out in his piper or cessna every month and oh it's a tragedy but flying FPV is technically outlawed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

shovelbum posted:

a pilot of a real plane         no consequences      if           crashing         into your house

you are very wrong on this one

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

gently caress the feds, fly a drone

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
A rule employed at high power rocket launches (which have waivers, notams, and insurance) is that if you can hear or see a plane, stop launching until it's gone. If you're gonna fly dirty above your roof or beyond your backyard, you can still employ this technique.

"But dad, I'm not going to fall off my skateboard so why should I be oppressed by this helmet!?" Probably nobody intends to almost midair with a helicopter, but I'll tell ya it happens.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Recreational pilots are some of the biggest arseholes in the world, and regularly do stupid dangerous poo poo, but that doesn't mean we have to.

Drones have been demonised and the majority of the regs out there are dumb or actively hostile. As long as you're sensible and not putting other people at risk or pissing them off nobody really cares about the regulations.

edit: I guess what I'm trying to get at is the stigma around drones is real and dumb, but it's not likely to go away if people really are flying camera drones into their neighbor's backyard

Splode fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 2, 2020

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CloFan posted:

gently caress the feds, fly a drone

This all day every day.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Splode posted:

edit: I guess what I'm trying to get at is the stigma around drones is real and dumb, but it's not likely to go away if people really are flying camera drones into their neighbor's backyard

This all day every day.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Splode posted:

My local model aircraft field doesn't even allow quads to be flown there, it's kind of nuts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, Jonny you’re not alone. I stuffed my Bebop 2 into a tree today

Was flying by Lake Michigan, doing a backwards pull-out from the lake on to land, thought I was clear of that tree and.......nope.

Dropped about 20 feet on to stones. The “nice” part, if there is one, is it seems to have taken the biggest hit on the rear of the battery and rear left motor. The camera seems mostly unharmed, or at least unscratched. The frame is broke, at least a couple of the props are shot and the battery snapped off a couple of the little fingers that hold it to the main body of the drone.

I haven’t turned it back on to do a motor test yet but fingers crossed on that.

Thankfully when I bought the controller I use off FB Marketplace, the seller threw in a crashed Bebop
2. I’m pretty sure it has a good frame and at least 3 good motors, plus all the other stuff I need. Hopefully disassembling the one I crashed doesn’t reveal any more damage because I think I can fix it with spare parts right now.

I have absolutely no one to blame but myself here.

Things I did wrong:

1) I didn’t calibrate the drone. When you fly the Bebop 2 more than a mile or so from where it was last flown, you should recalibrate it, so the magnetometer can come to grips with the changed magnetic field. I honestly just forgot this part. I tend to fly in the same area a lot so I don’t always need to recalibrate. This means the drone didn’t have a good magnetic lock, but this isn’t what took me out

2). I was flying backwards pulling up and out and I did it without flying the route forwards first. I usually fly pull-out routes forwards first so I can check for obstacles in the camera feed but I thought I was good this time. I wasn’t. Always check your surroundings first kids

I’ll pull it all apart tonight and see how soon it will be before I get it back in the air.

Ironically I also had a friend text me to tell me he put his Mavic Pro into a tree this week too. Welcome to international crash your drone week.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 2, 2020

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

xsf421 posted:

My local model aircraft field doesn't even allow quads to be flown there, it's kind of nuts.

RC plane greybeards absolutely hate quadcopters and how the young people are flying them in their backyards without proper instruction and their wise stewardship (and, to play the other side, how many quad pilots do reckless and stupid poo poo that hasn't been a problem with planes). Go read the comments on the FAA remote ID proposal, it's full of :argh: everything was fine until these darn quadcopters :argh: posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I crashed my fixed wing planes way more than my quads. I realize the irony of this statement given what I posted above but fixed wing flights were a success if I just brought the thing home in one piece.