Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

No matter what, we’re heading into the finale with at least one player left that has been voted out before.

Just dumb trivia.

and being joined by another :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I wish the last 2 episodes had been the norm this season instead of whatever 3 weeks ago was. One thing that has bummed me out this season is I've had a lot of trouble following who is in an alliance with each other and who isn't. I still probably couldn't tell you what the sides are.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

They change pretty frequently, the only real constant is Tony and Sarah I think

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I think you can more or less include Ben in that crew. The three of them have been voting together (aside from the Sophie vote) since, what, the merge?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Boxman posted:

"Maybe there's nothing to be said, maybe after you're done, we just vote" is a pretty novel way to say "the most iconic part of the show just got made irrelevant."

The whispers are pretty bad television and they need to issue a patch for next season.

Most iconic? Nah, that section of the show is often a massive waste of time that gets carried by editing before it starts because the majority of the time tribals are really inert, just a formality for a group decision by the dominant groups and we watch people yammer on and on making it sound like "oooh we might do something interesting instead" but then they of course don't. Ugh and a season or two ago we had all these grand speeches at tribal, where people were going on about society and culture and change and folks would be crying and they'd make it like it was going to be a symbolic vote to make a point for th-just kidding they voted exactly like the dominant alliance said they were they just spent a lot of time bloviating. As time has gone on they've cut out the parts where we see people actually vote and talk poo poo or try to backpedal, that part was a highlight of that segment for me.

I'm only excited by the whispers and chaos when it results in change, which it has been lately! The whispers are only bad TV when the rest of tribal is bad TV too. I mean sometimes a vote is straightforward no matter what so editors can only do their best to mislead to keep some tension. Maybe some folks just enjoy empty, diplomatic answers to teacher's questions with the occasional cut to a raised eyebrow more than I do. Can't argue indecipherable whispers are necesarrily better, but recently the reactions of the players has been much more extreme than raised eyebrow.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SalTheBard posted:

I wish the last 2 episodes had been the norm this season instead of whatever 3 weeks ago was. One thing that has bummed me out this season is I've had a lot of trouble following who is in an alliance with each other and who isn't. I still probably couldn't tell you what the sides are.

sorry, The People demand half an hour of players tonguing their spouses and children

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
[quote="Khanstant" post="504536113"]
Most iconic? Nah, that section of the show is often a massive waste of time that gets carried by editing before it starts because the majority of the time tribals are really inert, just a formality for a group decision by the dominant groups and we watch people yammer on and on making it sound like "oooh we might do something interesting instead" but then they of course don't. Ugh and a season or two ago we had all these grand speeches at tribal, where people were going on about society and culture and change and folks would be crying and they'd make it like it was going to be a symbolic vote to make a point for th-just kidding they voted exactly like the dominant alliance said they were they just spent a lot of time bloviating. As time has gone on they've cut out the parts where we see people actually vote and talk poo poo or try to backpedal, that part was a highlight of that segment for me.

I'm only excited by the whispers and chaos when it results in change, which it has been lately! The whispers are only bad TV when the rest of tribal is bad TV too. I mean sometimes a vote is straightforward no matter what so editors can only do their best to mislead to keep some tension. Maybe some folks just enjoy empty, diplomatic answers to teacher's questions with the occasional cut to a raised eyebrow more than I do. Can't argue indecipherable whispers are necesarrily better, but recently the reactions of the players has been much more extreme than raised eyebrow.
[/quote

Maybe go straight from immunity comp to tribal wherein everyone is micked for whispers and let the scramble happen there (followed by a segment of post-tribal yelling)?

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
I don't mind the whispers as long as they're subtitled. Don't really mind the post vote "who did you vote for" talk when it comes to idols since the votes are already locked in at that point.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Otteration posted:

Maybe go straight from immunity comp to tribal wherein everyone is micked for whispers and let the scramble happen there (followed by a segment of post-tribal yelling)?

That would be a fun post challenge twist anyway, straight to tribal, do not pass home.

I also agree subtitles on whispers would be good.

Random question: What is a MORG? I get that its a name for discord versions of fake survivor. Still no clue how that could be fun but it's just opaque to me, in any case, what do the actually letters stand for? Multi Online Roleplaying Game?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

freeman posted:

I don't mind the whispers as long as they're subtitled. Don't really mind the post vote "who did you vote for" talk when it comes to idols since the votes are already locked in at that point.

Subtitles would be fine if they're more complete than in the last episode. The cast is owned by the network while they're on the island, so they can wear mikes at least enough to improve the subs if they're going to whisper. The play by play by Jeff is lame. It's moot for this season, of course, since it's already in the can. Predict that the rest of this season's tribals will be more of the same though.

[Fake eta: just remembered production will just edit subs as much as vids for drama, even if it has access to all of the audio, so maybe nvm.]

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'd love to see some seasons of athletes of various kinds.

Get a whole tribe of Ninja Warriors vs a tribe of Iron Man decathletes or something

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Otteration posted:

Subtitles would be fine if they're more complete than in the last episode. The cast is owned by the network while they're on the island, so they can wear mikes at least enough to improve the subs if they're going to whisper. The play by play by Jeff is lame. It's moot for this season, of course, since it's already in the can. Predict that the rest of this season's tribals will be more of the same though.

[Fake eta: just remembered production will just edit subs as much as vids for drama, even if it has access to all of the audio, so maybe nvm.]

I thought Jeff's play by play was amusing

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

freeman posted:

The post-vote talk is an initial scramble that clues us in on how the players are interacting, and interaction and social dynamics are kind of the whole point of the entire concept of Survivor. :)

I guess I usually FF through 90% of challenges to the end though. Ymmv. :)

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

I thought Jeff's play by play was amusing

Yeah, it was for me too, at first...he's quick on his feet and I always like his challenge narration. Not sure a tribal Harry Carry has legs though.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Khanstant posted:

That would be a fun post challenge twist anyway, straight to tribal, do not pass home.
They did this in Fiji, the Michelle vote. It was not fun.

quote:

Random question: What is a MORG? I get that its a name for discord versions of fake survivor. Still no clue how that could be fun but it's just opaque to me, in any case, what do the actually letters stand for? Multi Online Roleplaying Game?

ORG is Online Reality Game, idk about the M.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Otteration posted:

The post-vote talk is an initial scramble that clues us in on how the players are interacting, and interaction and social dynamics are kind of the whole point of the entire concept of Survivor. :)

I guess I usually FF through 90% of challenges to the end though. Ymmv. :)

I meant more what Tony did this week as in post vote but before the votes are read.

I said I don't mind it as in I'm not against it. Not sure if it came off that way.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I'm finally watching the last 2 episode and

I'm laughing really hard at folks trusting Tony. And also Nick letting Tony have the immunity

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Natalie remains an absolute woman of steel, drat

If anyone from EoE comes back for the win, I want it to be her

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Whispering is OUT OF CONTROL holy poo poo

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Everything about that was insane

Tony is a madman and its so much fun to watch

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just watched. Lots of words.

Nick just strikes me as playing scared. He wants to be safe and he seems to have correctly identified Tony as the power at the moment. And i get the impression he was dead set on getting Jeremy out which is why he was never an option for Kim/Jeremy to flip and why Tony had to fight with him in Tribal. But ultimately he gave in to Tony because Tony's the authority right now. I'm sure Nick is/was thinking he could make some key move at the right time but he definitely feels too passive at the moment to be in a winning position.

Michelle's in kind of a weird place because it doesn't feel like she's done anyone wrong and I wouldn't call her game passive with her doing something like giving Jeremy the coin. She just clearly has no power and people are just kind of screwing her over and tossing her around. Kim was in the same basic position and was really adamant to try and change it but I think its just a case of personality tapes. Michelle seems to kind of read her position and try and figure out the best way to manage it and Kim wanted to push against the tide. Their previous wins probably shaped that too. Michelle won a game by playing it cool and staying on the right side of people, so she's trying to move with the waves. Kim won the game in total control, so she kept trying to rip control away from others.

Ben's a mess. If he makes some big moves and gets out Tony and Jeremy maybe he can convince the Jury he deserves it, but he feels/looks like he's spinning. Same with Sarah. She's wearing her frustration on her sleeve and she's allowed herself to become Tony's partner. I think Tony hosed her hard with that Sophie move and trapped her with him. That's of course good for Tony and justifies his move a lot, but now Sarah's really pretty trapped unless she can find her way out.

Denise... I dunno. She was a huge target at the merge so its a good thing she's managed to lay low. I get the sense she wants Jeremy and Tony gone and figures she can manage her way from there, but losing Kim seems like it really hurts her. I don't know what her move here is. She feels isolated now without Kim.

Tony's a chaotic mess but there's been a lot of effective damage to his madness. He trapped Sarah and Denise, Jeremy owes him, Nick and Ben seem like they're both people he can bully. Everything probably should have fallen apart for him this week and he got lucky with the Immunity being 2 idols and everyone completely flaking on it. I think Jeremy or Denise could turn things on him if they can get on the same page. But Tony's been doing a good job driving stakes and eliminating options.

Side note, I contend that since they all quit the challenge to the point it was over they should have ran out of time for their cookies. That'll teach 'em.

And Nat's an absolute beast. I feel proud she was my pony even fi she went out real early.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

STAC Goat posted:

Side note, I contend that since they all quit the challenge to the point it was over they should have ran out of time for their cookies. That'll teach 'em.

i was thinking this as well. would have been hilarious if he took it away like 5 seconds after giving it to them. or like, not let nick have any because he ended the challenge by stepping out and jeff clearly stated they could eat as long as the challenge went.

i'm curious how much time they actually got.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

freeman posted:

I meant more what Tony did this week as in post vote but before the votes are read.

I said I don't mind it as in I'm not against it. Not sure if it came off that way.

No problem. :) Was just thinking that maybe immediate post-tribal interactions might be fun to see too, if they actually happen to a large enough degree.

It's all hypothetical anyway. The times, they are a changin'. :)

Gonna have to also throw out that I kinda miss the Ponderosa interviews too, unless I'm not seeing something more compelling available online from the EoE crew which hasn't been mentioned ITT.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Otteration posted:

No problem. :) Was just thinking that maybe immediate post-tribal interactions might be fun to see too, if they actually happen to a large enough degree.

It's all hypothetical anyway. The times, they are a changin'. :)

Gonna have to also throw out that I kinda miss the Ponderosa interviews too, unless I'm not seeing something more compelling available online from the EoE crew which hasn't been mentioned ITT.

We sort of got the post vote fallout thing you want at the start of this episode where Tony had to go talk to a freaking out Sara right when they got back from the Sophie vote. I think a lot of times there just isn't much said immediately after the vote.

Also the lack of ponderosa videos is legit the thing I hate the most about EoE

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm really digging the season. All the people I'm digging are on Edge and I wish they'd show more of that than the actual handful of people that are left at this point. Not that I don't appreciate Tony just unintentionally screwing up everyone's game every. single. episode. but they just aren't very entertaining outside of those brief moments. Edge is where it's at this season.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Cause all the boring rear end people sans Tony knew (rightfully) they had to get rid of the non boring ones. I can’t remember but there must have just been more newer people on each tribe for us to end up where we are.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ben’s singular focus on Jeremy seems like it’s for very obvious, very gross reasons.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sportsgenius86 posted:

Ben’s singular focus on Jeremy seems like it’s for very obvious, very gross reasons.

I don't get that read at all but it's certainly possible I guess

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

sportsgenius86 posted:

Definitely don't see this at all. Seems almost doubly gross to assume. Like you think the only possible reason anyone could target Jeremy, who is probably one of the most liked Survivor in the game, is just because he's black? And then also just assuming the white guy targeting a black guy is just because of racism and not for any strategic reasons?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Ben account spotted!

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Targeting Jeremy while Tony is immune is what most of them should be doing since IMO he's the clear #2 behind Tony at this point.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly I could see people voting out Nick at this point just because he seems to be always silently working with Tony. If you can't get Tony, cut off his support system.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Things seem to have gotten pretty ugly on social media. Ben, Nick, Denise, and Sarah all deactivated their twitters since the last ep aired:

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/gbl1ho/another_one_gone/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/gb8hpv/ben_has_deactivated_his_twitter_due_to_all_the/

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Funnily enough, Tony just reactivated his.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Things seem to have gotten pretty ugly on social media. Ben, Nick, Denise, and Sarah all deactivated their twitters since the last ep aired:

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/gbl1ho/another_one_gone/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/gb8hpv/ben_has_deactivated_his_twitter_due_to_all_the/

Why are they all being attacked?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SteveVizsla posted:

Why are they all being attacked?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Also the lack of ponderosa videos is legit the thing I hate the most about EoE

Seems like we should get a bunch of Sandra ones since she's the only one there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I can't remember Sarah, but I think Nick deactivated his because he was getting really annoyed with constantly being portrayed as an idiot by the edit and then people said some mean things.

Denise took a break because people were attacking her for shoving her hand in Jeremy's face during tribal council and some were calling her racist.

Honestly people need help.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i can only go by context of the comments, but i have seen them say nick: got flak for being 'creepy', voting out parv, being a republican, and him being frustrated with his edit. adam is apparently on twitter break because people are just lovely to him in general. and people may have been attacking sarah for political views? that one is the one i'm least sure about, but i remember a picture of her in a MAGA hat at one point so i'm sure that didn't do her many favors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Definitely don't see this at all. Seems almost doubly gross to assume. Like you think the only possible reason anyone could target Jeremy, who is probably one of the most liked Survivor in the game, is just because he's black? And then also just assuming the white guy targeting a black guy is just because of racism and not for any strategic reasons?

Jeremy is obviously a good player and a dangerous one and everyone recognizes that. I’m speaking more of Ben’s weird obsession with not talking to him at all and how the only hardline stance he ever seems to take is “we need him gone NOW.”

Nobody wants Jeremy there at the end but only one of them is being real loving strange about it .

Maybe he’s just an awkward dude. I don’t know. It just seems starkly different to everyone else’s approach to me.