Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Doomykins posted:

The theme of this post is Adagio For Strings.

Playing RE2R on Hardcore Leon A, finishing the police station, X behind me after I get the magnum, opt to loop around the third floor via the library, fresh licker spawns, almost got the first down when tackled, goodbye infinite knife. Juke safely. Save before the crocodile, endure the usual two deaths on him, clear Ada's section and Leon hits the service lift button. Just have to reach a new writer with a box and my extra ribbon or find a new ribbon spawn.

Game crashes.

Really glad this is the training run S before I consider S+ but God drat, God drat.

For future reference: if you can ditch Mr. X long enough, aren't afraid of killing Lickers, and care enough about the infinite knife, you can loop back around and get your knife back. Keep going though! S+ is really satisfying once you get it. I managed to finish Claire B with an S+ with just five minutes to spare. I could have saved time if I didn't go for the later two inventory expansions, but I like having the space for some healing items.

I also somehow managed to beat Hunk's scenario. They really do give you just enough to get by. I think I was in Danger with a mostly full handgun and a half-empty SMG clip left after getting past the final bunch of zombies. Tofu is a lot of fun to play as, though I haven't quite managed to beat that one yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Open Marriage Night posted:

There’s a Resident Evil 3 board game on Kickstarter. Same people as the RE2 one, making some minor improvements on the gameplay.

I only know a handful of people who like board games, but everyone I've played the RE2 board game with really likes it and the changes they made to RE3 look interesting. I'll probably end up backing it and getting the extra rewards for backing RE2.

Edit: It looks like the RE3 board game is cheaper than the RE2 one. It's still a whopping $82 though. Kind of a hard sell during...you know...a pandemic

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 1, 2020

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Nightmare mode in RE3r is great. I greatly prefer its arrangement to the default, except the 2 massive difficulty spikes (the last RPD fight and the end boss.) Getting sandwiched between 2 paleheads on one side and a licker + 3 parasites on the other was absurd. Everyone already talked about the last boss. On attempt 30 or 40 I broke down and tried to cheat with the STARS manual but I'm not sure how much it helped. Generally though, the new encounter designs are more interesting, and getting the magnum right away to help deal with parasites (which are the biggest threat in the game now that their ranged attack does serious damage) is rad. An added benefit is now there's less incentive to replay the hospital as Claire (if you're wondering, the old magnum case has 2 bullets in it now.)

So inferno mode S rank requires <6 saves and there's definitely more than 5 areas I have no faith in surviving. 3 saves felt like enough in RE2 because nothing could instantly kill you outside of a few gimmicks, but this will be tough. I'm thinking the first save would have to be after the power station, but every failed attempt would mean having to play the 5-minute intro sequence again which is brutal. I really wish they gave you an auto-save after that part since it's basically a cutscene anyways with only 1 dangerous zombie in the entire thing.

Scissorfighter fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 1, 2020

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Scissorfighter posted:

Nightmare mode in RE3r is great. I greatly prefer its arrangement to the default, except the 2 massive difficulty spikes (the last RPD fight and the end boss.) Getting sandwiched between 2 paleheads on one side and a licker + 3 parasites on the other was absurd. Everyone already talked about the last boss. On attempt 30 or 40 I broke down and tried to cheat with the STARS manual but I'm not sure how much it helped. Generally though, the new encounter designs are more interesting, and getting the magnum right away to help deal with parasites (which are the biggest threat in the game now that their ranged attack does serious damage) is rad. An added benefit is now there's less incentive to replay the hospital as Claire (if you're wondering, the old magnum case has 2 bullets in it now.)

So inferno mode S rank requires <6 saves and there's definitely more than 5 areas I have no faith in surviving. 3 saves felt like enough in RE2 because nothing could instantly kill you outside of a few gimmicks, but this will be tough. I'm thinking the first save would have to be after the power station, but every failed attempt would mean having to play the 5-minute intro sequence again which is brutal. I really wish they gave you an auto-save after that part since it's basically a cutscene anyways with only 1 dangerous zombie in the entire thing.

When I did my Inferno S run these were my saves:

1st - First typewriter in the Subway.
2nd - Kendo’s gun shop.
3rd - Jill’s room in the hospital as Carlos.
4th - Hospital basement after the fuse puzzle.
5th - Last typewriter before the final boss.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

rabidsquid posted:

it is physically painful to mash buttons for some people
Or difficult for other reasons. Honestly, I don't think it should be a problem for any game with QTEs to come with an optional "assisted" mode that turns them off for people who have disabilities and can't keep up with them for some reason or another.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Repo Man posted:

It's still a whopping $82 though. Kind of a hard sell during...you know...a pandemic

Sounds like a good opportunity for a Tabletop Simulator conversion or something. RE3: The Videogame (Based On The Hit Boardgame (Based On The Hit Videogame (A Reenvisioning Of The Videogame Classic)))

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

The Repo Man posted:

I only know a handful of people who like board games, but everyone I've played the RE2 board game with really likes it and the changes they made to RE3 look interesting. I'll probably end up backing it and getting the extra rewards for backing RE2.

Edit: It looks like the RE3 board game is cheaper than the RE2 one. It's still a whopping $82 though. Kind of a hard sell during...you know...a pandemic

I got the Dark Souls board game by the same company and it's unfortunately not very good (although there were also a whole ton of delays that kind of soured everybody's outlook on top of the game itself being pretty mediocre), so I haven't really paid attention to their stuff since then. If RE2 was better, that's a good sign - I might pick up RE3. Thanks for the heads up.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Solomonic posted:

I got the Dark Souls board game by the same company and it's unfortunately not very good (although there were also a whole ton of delays that kind of soured everybody's outlook on top of the game itself being pretty mediocre), so I haven't really paid attention to their stuff since then. If RE2 was better, that's a good sign - I might pick up RE3. Thanks for the heads up.

I never played the Dark Souls game, but I heard it had some issues. If you make an account at Tabletopia you can try a demo scenario of RE3 online for free. It's way better than jumping in blind and finding out you don't care for the system they are using.

https://tabletopia.com/news/resident-evil-3

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I have absolutely no idea what a Dark Souls boardgame would even look like, but I have to admit, I am curious now.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Cardiovorax posted:

I have absolutely no idea what a Dark Souls boardgame would even look like, but I have to admit, I am curious now.

It is a lot of dying and replaying the same parts of the game over and over, from what I hear.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, sounds like it's very true to the game, at least.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Repo Man posted:

My friends and I paid $300 for that Batman board game a couple years ago, and never played it.

Still going to get this. It looks like a lot of fun.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

well you're gonna find out how worse they make it in 2 years so look forward to that haha.

yeah i get you on CV, i've come to prefer the darkside chronicles version personally but then i still kinda enjoy the og wesker stuff.

I'll give CV this, it had an awesome soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq0K2mHJTFM

I don't like RE as much as I did ten years ago but I still love the music.

As for RE4, the fact thy will almost certainly not get any of the original VAs back bugs me. People got over them replacing Claire very quickly cuz RE2R owns bones but RE4 wouldn't be as good as it was without the great cheesy voicework of Paul Mercier. I'll care even if nobody else does.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

As for RE4, the fact thy will almost certainly not get any of the original VAs back bugs me. People got over them replacing Claire very quickly cuz RE2R owns bones but RE4 wouldn't be as good as it was without the great cheesy voicework of Paul Mercier. I'll care even if nobody else does.

Honestly that's the biggest thing that bugs me about remaking it, I wish they'd just use the same script and recordings because they're pretty integral. But then that gets going down the road of "what's the point" because then it'd be pretty close to just a reskin.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

The Repo Man posted:

I never played the Dark Souls game, but I heard it had some issues. If you make an account at Tabletopia you can try a demo scenario of RE3 online for free. It's way better than jumping in blind and finding out you don't care for the system they are using.

https://tabletopia.com/news/resident-evil-3

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

Cardiovorax posted:

serious post for once, I guess. In theory it follows the same principles as the video game (fight your way through some groups of minions, then do a big crazy boss fight, and if you die you respawn and come back), but in practice it's sort of a boring slog. The combat does a poor job emulating its source because all of your attacks and dodges are based on dice rolls, so even if you have perfect positioning and a good strategy, you can just get randomly dunked on (which, despite the meme reputation, is not how Dark Souls works). Death is usually due to bad rolls rather than anything you could've specifically prevented, particularly as the player count increases, because if one person dies, everyone dies. And then after you die and respawn, rules as written say you have to fight everything in the stage all over again, every time you come back (it's popular to houserule that you can run past encounters you've already cleared). An average game for my group usually took three to four hours, and by the end of it we'd just want it to be over.

Back on topic, one thing I'd like to see if they remade RE4 would be more variation in the island enemies. The shift from schlubby farmers wielding pitchforks to chanting monks with medieval weapons is a great one and really sets the tone for the castle. Giving the soldier ganados new dialogue, maybe some faux-military chatter or something, would be a great touch, as would giving them more new weapons like the shock stick that some of them use. Machetes, batons, that kind of thing. Maybe even replace the wooden shields with riot shields like you'd expect SWAT to have.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I went and grabbed RE4 for the Wii for $4 because why not? Been a decade since I played it, my 9 year old is really loving the franchise and the reviews were good. Can you use the wii gun control thingy with it?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I went and grabbed RE4 for the Wii for $4 because why not? Been a decade since I played it, my 9 year old is really loving the franchise and the reviews were good. Can you use the wii gun control thingy with it?

I don't think a gun attachment would be very comfortable tbh, it plays really well without it though. Also you can use a classic controller or plug in a GC pad if you've got one of the proper Wii models. Real fun is with the wiimote though!

Out of interest which RE games have you let your son play? I remember finding RE1 terrifying as a 12 year old although that was back in 1996 when it seemed ultra realistic.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Convex posted:

I don't think a gun attachment would be very comfortable tbh, it plays really well without it though. Also you can use a classic controller or plug in a GC pad if you've got one of the proper Wii models. Real fun is with the wiimote though!

Agreed on all counts. That said,

please remember to provide photo documentation if you attempt it

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Your kid would probably love to play Umbrella Chronicles with you if you haven’t played it already. It’s a lot of fun.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

The only canonical way to play RE4 is on the gamecube chainsaw controller.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Scissorfighter posted:

The only canonical way to play RE4 is on the gamecube chainsaw controller.

i think that's a ps2 controller and i am pretty sure a goon somewhere up thread mentioned he begged and pleaded to get it and it was totally garbage and regretted it very badly lmao

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Convex posted:

Out of interest which RE games have you let your son play? I remember finding RE1 terrifying as a 12 year old although that was back in 1996 when it seemed ultra realistic.

He just watches me play. RE2 and RE3, some of RE5. He loves it and never freaks out.

Only one that was too much for him was RE7. He literally peed his pants the first time what's her name crazy bitch jumped out so I quit. I wasn't planning on getting all the way to the Baker family part anyway.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

i think that's a ps2 controller and i am pretty sure a goon somewhere up thread mentioned he begged and pleaded to get it and it was totally garbage and regretted it very badly lmao

Whoops, yeah, that's the PS2 model. The gamecube model looks a little more practical but I'm still glad I didn't get one back in 2005 despite somehow really wanting one.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that looks like it would be painful to actually use

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

To be fair its an upgrade on literally every nintendo controller ever made

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

codo27 posted:

To be fair its an upgrade on literally every nintendo controller ever made

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The chainsaw controller cannot fail, only be failed.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

He just watches me play. RE2 and RE3, some of RE5. He loves it and never freaks out.

Only one that was too much for him was RE7. He literally peed his pants the first time what's her name crazy bitch jumped out so I quit. I wasn't planning on getting all the way to the Baker family part anyway.

Ah that makes more sense. Tbh struggling with the fixed camera controls was probably the scariest element for me!

You guys should play revelations 2, the co-op mechanic would be perfect with your son playing P2 as they don't have guns and just help out!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Scissorfighter posted:

Whoops, yeah, that's the PS2 model. The gamecube model looks a little more practical but I'm still glad I didn't get one back in 2005 despite somehow really wanting one.

This should be mandatory for competitive Smash players.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Leon Kennedy for Smash

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So do people actually like RE3make? I was very unimpressed. If RE2make made Mr. X a legend, RE3make totally ruined Nemesis' mystique.

I guess besides that it wasn't terrible but it's nowhere near as good as the RE2 remake.

It certainly didn't give me any more reason to have faith in the RE4 remake.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
From what I can tell its half people saying its a glorified expansion pack, and half the people saying "I guess I get why you'd say its a glorified expansion pack, BUT..." and I've been wondering if the second half of people aren't just trying to justify a $60 purchase. I've been waiting for either a sale or whenever I decide to get back around to playing Claire's story, to save myself the cash

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The way this thread has tailed off is all the proof I need. It'll be a sale purchase for me. I really oughta work on actually unlocking some poo poo in RE2R. I guess at this point there isn't much chance of them patching out the knife high fps glitch

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
A rushing playthrough of R3make was a little under 2 hours for me, which isn't that far off RE2. The thing is, where RE2 was an extremely intense couple of hours, RE3 was just kinda boring cause there's not much thinking you have to do in terms of routing. It's just "go forward and shoot good" most of the time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's just altogether a fairly mediocre experience when compared to RE2make and RE7. Not terrible, but it's like RE5 was to RE4: you can see where the influences come from, but it isn't as good.

RE2make and RE3make were worked on by completely different teams, though, so I'm trying not to be too pessimistic about it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Apparently a lot of former Platinum Games staff worked on RE3 Remake, which I feel like kind of explains a lot about its design.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

klapman posted:

A rushing playthrough of R3make was a little under 2 hours for me, which isn't that far off RE2. The thing is, where RE2 was an extremely intense couple of hours, RE3 was just kinda boring cause there's not much thinking you have to do in terms of routing. It's just "go forward and shoot good" most of the time.

The first runthroughs blind are what it should be judged off of. In that I enjoyed it, but I enjoyed RE2 more. Once I unlocked everything, an Inferno runthrough took me under an hour. I laughed at that "Leon's 69th playthrough" video until I did literally that to S rank everything in an hour each time. Even unlocking everything in RE2, getting an S+ on Hardcore was a little more anxiety inducing. I think I spent more total time on RE2 than RE3 with all the extra playthroughs.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'm in the "I like it but not as much as RE2 remake" camp.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Apparently a lot of former Platinum Games staff worked on RE3 Remake, which I feel like kind of explains a lot about its design.
You know, that actually does explain a lot. Platinum made great action games, but I don't think they've ever made anything that wasn't an action game, or did they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Resistance is a lot more fun now that everyone knows what they are doing. Still losing as the Survivors most of the time, but when you get a good team, sometimes you can totally roll all over the mastermind.