Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

How long has Goodsprings been settled/populated before the events of New Vegas? The impression I got from the wiki was that it has been a ghost town here and there as people come and go with time before House got Vegas up and running again, but from what I understand, even though House has been awake for a while, he's only recently began interacting with the outside world when NCR scouts showed up and the Vegas we see is a recent creation in reaction to that. Are the folks we see in Goodsprings first generation settlers or are they people who have been born there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fallout: New Vegas: I love shooting radioactive water up my bunghole.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Just finished Old World Blues again and this time I really felt the lows and really felt the highs. The Think Tank, Mobius and the Sink are all fun to interact with and there are some real comedic gems in those conversations and Hig's Village is a master class in characterization using objects found in the environment. The voice acting is universally excellent and the casting of James Urbaniak as Dr.O is almost a bit too on nose since Old World Blues has a lot of thematic overlap with Venture Bros with theme of failure creeping in a bit. The Big MT is fun to explore, and has some great rewards for doing that exploration, or at least it is until you get jumped by some Night Stalkers. I do not remember hating Night Stalkers this much, Lobitmites at least have the decency to die quickly, Night Stalkers are horrible combination of fast, damage sponges and limb damage, I'd gladly fight Ghost People over those things any day. Also going through the X-8 high school simulation 4 loving TIMES is in my opinion the low point of the game, those last two times when Night Stalkers replace the Cyber Dogs felt pointless, long and boring.

Old World Blues remains my personal favorite of the four DLCs but god drat there some real flaws in it.

Edit: The joke about the stealth suite being clinging only funny for about 10 minutes. Being asked ever few minutes if I like you gets old quick.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 30, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Upmarket Mango posted:

How long has Goodsprings been settled/populated before the events of New Vegas? The impression I got from the wiki was that it has been a ghost town here and there as people come and go with time before House got Vegas up and running again, but from what I understand, even though House has been awake for a while, he's only recently began interacting with the outside world when NCR scouts showed up and the Vegas we see is a recent creation in reaction to that. Are the folks we see in Goodsprings first generation settlers or are they people who have been born there?

Goodsprings is a real town with a population under 300 people. Since the area appears to have suffered little or no damage from what few missiles impacted the Mojave and it has a source of clean water, I wouldn't be surprised if it's seen at least some form of occupancy for those 200 years.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

side_burned posted:

Just finished Old World Blues again and this time I really felt the lows and really felt the highs. The Think Tank, Mobius and the Sink are all fun to interact with and there are some real comedic gems in those conversations and Hig's Village is a master class in characterization using objects found in the environment. The voice acting is universally excellent and the casting of James Urbaniak as Dr.O is almost a bit too on nose since Old World Blues has a lot of thematic overlap with Venture Bros with theme of failure creeping in a bit. The Big MT is fun to explore, and has some great rewards for doing that exploration, or at least it is until you get jumped by some Night Stalkers. I do not remember hating Night Stalkers this much, Lobitmites at least have the decency to die quickly, Night Stalkers are horrible combination of fast, damage sponges and limb damage, I'd gladly fight Ghost People over those things any day. Also going through the X-8 high school simulation 4 loving TIMES is in my opinion the low point of the game, those last two times when Night Stalkers replace the Cyber Dogs felt pointless, long and boring.

Old World Blues remains my personal favorite of the four DLCs but god drat there some real flaws in it.

I already had the Animal Friend perk from my playthrough of Honest Hearts last time through OWB. Felt like cheating, almost.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Last time I ran through Old World Blues I had a perk from an alternate start mod where robots don't attack until you attack them, and that felt a little cheesy.

I second the idea that Goodsprings has been settled for most of the post apocalypse. There's no real reason why people would leave their homes, and subsistence farming seems to work out pretty well for them.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

side_burned posted:

Edit: The joke about the stealth suite being clinging only funny for about 10 minutes. Being asked ever few minutes if I like you gets old quick.

One of my personal gripes with New Vegas combat encounters is when the game decides that it's just going to spawn enemies behind you when you hit a certain trigger; the base game at least saves this for areas that are supposed to be very difficult, unfair, etc. Old World Blues does this at almost every single goddamn location though, and I hate it so very much.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

aniviron posted:

One of my personal gripes with New Vegas combat encounters is when the game decides that it's just going to spawn enemies behind you when you hit a certain trigger; the base game at least saves this for areas that are supposed to be very difficult, unfair, etc. Old World Blues does this at almost every single goddamn location though, and I hate it so very much.

There's a few "fun" encounters that trigger when you activate an object that you can drag using z. You can set it up so you get the drop on them instead of the other way around.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
HH scales fairly drastically with your level (if you do it early, it's a cakewalk, if you do it late the White Legs are regularly packing anti-materiel rifles and riot shotguns), which sometimes leads to exiting a cave into a spawn of three giant mantises all within melee range of you. Roll a reflex check to not die instantly.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

oh jay posted:

There's a few "fun" encounters that trigger when you activate an object that you can drag using z. You can set it up so you get the drop on them instead of the other way around.

I usually turn the tables with mines, preferably bottlecap mines or satchel charges if I am high enough level. Mines can get sneak attack crits!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Arcsquad12 posted:

I love shooting radioactive water up my bunghole.

I think what I like most about new vegas is that the proper water bodies aren't radio-active, because anything else is absurdly loving stupid

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Paracelsus posted:

HH scales fairly drastically with your level (if you do it early, it's a cakewalk, if you do it late the White Legs are regularly packing anti-materiel rifles and riot shotguns), which sometimes leads to exiting a cave into a spawn of three giant mantises all within melee range of you. Roll a reflex check to not die instantly.

Another reason why Skilled/Logan Loophole is the best trait combo if you’re trying to min-max

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

whydirt posted:

Another reason why Skilled/Logan Loophole is the best trait combo if you’re trying to min-max

You can take my Built To Destroy from my cold, dead hands!

My choice of traits is almost always some combo of Built to Destroy, Fast Shot, Good Natured, and Kamikaze. I've never made a Logan's Loophole character, but I rarely make it to level 30 before starting up a new character anyway. If only there were a more reliable source of Turbo than killing cazadors and finding turpentine.

What traits does everyone else like to use?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I love shooting radioactive water up my bunghole.

Call me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

JawKnee posted:

I think what I like most about new vegas is that the proper water bodies aren't radio-active, because anything else is absurdly loving stupid

Yep, and I love that they go to length to explain the high radiation content in the irrigation and plumbing systems thanks to a leak from those damned vaults

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Wild Wasteland and Fast Shot

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

JawKnee posted:

The complaint against Fallout 3 about radioactive water being ~unscientific~ always kind of annoyed me. You accept laser and plasma weapons. Ghouls, super-mutants and the FEV. But that ruins the game?
The plot of FO3 has so many dumb things you can point to and complain about. Why focus on a detail like that that doesn't matter? It's like complaining that Star Trek is bad because the warp drive isn't real.

I think it's for example far stupider that the main plot is all about clean water being scarce and precious. But with your house you get a free robot that churns out clean water like it's nothing.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Chamale posted:

What traits does everyone else like to use?

I cannot play NV without Cowboy & Gunslinger as it's my go-to role-play and Cowboy weapons are quite useful and powerful with few exceptions.

Jury Rigging, Them's a Good Eatin', Hand Loader are also indispensable. I use JsawyersMod and various harder economy/reduced loot mods so repair and survival get more mileage.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Oh, Hand Loader and Vigilant Recycler are goddamn essential if you want to make money.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Perks are different from traits, but yeah, Hand Loader or Vigilant Recycler are essential if you want to shoot stuff. Lately I'm having a ton of fun with Finesse and Better Criticals , just melting everyone's face with my plasma gun. I was disappointed by Meltdown because making enemies explode has a tendency to kill my companions as well.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Raygereio posted:

The complaint against Fallout 3 about radioactive water being ~unscientific~ always kind of annoyed me. You accept laser and plasma weapons. Ghouls, super-mutants and the FEV. But that ruins the game?
The plot of FO3 has so many dumb things you can point to and complain about. Why focus on a detail like that that doesn't matter? It's like complaining that Star Trek is bad because the warp drive isn't real.

I think it's for example far stupider that the main plot is all about clean water being scarce and precious. But with your house you get a free robot that churns out clean water like it's nothing.

the idea that any life would continue to exist in a world where the entire ocean is dangerously radioactive is silly beyond redemption

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Well I mean so are Ghouls but nobody really gives a poo poo so lol

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Chamale posted:

Perks are different from traits, but yeah, Hand Loader or Vigilant Recycler are essential if you want to shoot stuff. Lately I'm having a ton of fun with Finesse and Better Criticals , just melting everyone's face with my plasma gun. I was disappointed by Meltdown because making enemies explode has a tendency to kill my companions as well.

Oh yeah it's been a while that I confused two.

I don't take Wild Wasteland generally but usually pick Skilled (lol 10% xp penalty is something laughable when I'm rolling with 3x xp to level mods) and Kamikaze.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I wonder if anybody has bothered making a timing-based character, cause there's all those perks/traits like Early Riser or Night Person or Solar Powered I never see mentioned. Throw Claustrophobia in there too.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

JawKnee posted:

the idea that any life would continue to exist in a world where the entire ocean is dangerously radioactive is silly beyond redemption
Fallout doesn't follow real-world science. It makes that very obvious. See ghouls, fev, rad-away, etc. It isn't bad writing for a setting to have their own rules for how the world works. FO3's plot and setting design have many issues. But doing something that pretty much every single piece of fiction ever written has done as well isn't one of them.

Water-shouldn't-be-irradiated is silly meme at this point. There are so many better example's FO3's lovely writing to point at. Like for example how Liam Neeson desperately wants to purify water. Even though no one needs it because all settlements are doing fine and no one is dying of thirst.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

And it's pretty easy to remove rads from water, turns out. Plus, it would make way more sense to create plant life with your super briefcase instead of wasting it on a vanity project.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There are people in the Wasteland who are designated as people dying of thirst and outright refuse your unpurified water in Fallout 3. It's... dodgy to say the least, but I think they attempted to show that while the few settlements you meet are doing fine, most people don't live in them and thus have lovely life conditions.

I think... there's problems with that line of reasoning, and in general Fallout 3's setting and story are very poorly thought-out, but I think I can kind of see what Bethesda was going for.

Honestly, the funniest thing about the plot to me is that the endgame mission is treated as very urgent even though... the Enclave is doing the same thing that the Brotherhood wanted to do: turn on the Purifier. No one in the Brotherhood is even aware of Eden's plan (and only the Lone Wanderer is capable of carrying to fruition at that point), and while it's understandable that they might not want the purifier to be under the control of the Enclave, which will use its control over this source of pure water as a way to get the Capital Wasteland under their control, it doesn't make any sense to treat the *activation* of the Purifier as urgent. It's literally just a race to press a button first.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The Enclave's plan involved making it so the purified water would also kill anything too mutated, though, which is a big difference

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Internet Wizard posted:

The Enclave's plan involved making it so the purified water would also kill anything too mutated, though, which is a big difference

That was Eden's plan, which required the player's direct participation in adding the anti-mutant chemicals. Autumn opposed that plan, and just wanted to turn on the purifier so the Enclave would have control of the clean water supply, making the whole "We have to stop them!" aspect of the final mission completely pointless.

(Fallout 3 is a really unfortunate game in that way since there were a lot of interesting places they could have taken the plot with only a few minor nudges, but unfortunately they were let down by terminally bad writing)

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I must've forgotten that detail due to the all-consuming rage that the button pushing scene caused in the original version, and then how they somehow made it even worse with the DLC

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Raygereio posted:

Fallout doesn't follow real-world science. It makes that very obvious. See ghouls, fev, rad-away, etc. It isn't bad writing for a setting to have their own rules for how the world works. FO3's plot and setting design have many issues. But doing something that pretty much every single piece of fiction ever written has done as well isn't one of them.

Water-shouldn't-be-irradiated is silly meme at this point. There are so many better example's FO3's lovely writing to point at. Like for example how Liam Neeson desperately wants to purify water. Even though no one needs it because all settlements are doing fine and no one is dying of thirst.

oh well if I'm not allowed to not like one particular thing then never mind I guess

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ask yourself, who is making toilet paper in the post apocalypse? There's not exactly many healthy trees around southern Californian / Nevadan deserts to begin with that would let you run a paper mill to pulp stuff down. Asswipe in the post apocalypse would be a very valuable commodity. Given that the Fallout world seems to have hit a point where prewar preservatives might as well be embalming fluid for how well items keep after 200 years of decay, prewar toilet paper would be worth its weight in gold.
Feels like your reply to my post is reiterating a lot of assumptions already addressed in my post? Just to be more clear: if toilet paper is hard to get, it doesn't become more expensive, people just find something else to wipe with.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

let's drill down further on the toilet paper issue

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I mean any sci-fi or fantasy setting (Or even a regular setting with fantastic elements) is going to require a certain level of disbelief. Things like ghouls and super-mutants are completely impossible according to even a basic understanding of science, but we accept it in the game because they're cool and fun to interact with, and there's just enough plausibility in terms of "wacky radiation" and FEV exposure that we don't have to think about it too hard. The problem Fallout 3 has though is that for a lot of players (Though certainly not all), the suspension of disbelief is stretched too far. Ghouls, Super-Mutants, lasers, all of that comes with the territory, fine. But then you add on questions like: Why is it 200 years after the bombs but everyone's living in scrap huts? Where do they get their food? How did Moriarty cross the Atlantic? What the hell is the deal with Talon Company? How is literally anything with Little Lamplight/Big Town supposed to work? Vampires???

It's just too much. Too much inconsistency, too many tonal shifts, too many questions with no answers, all of it stitched together with extremely bad writing. So if any one person has a specific beef with any individual part of it, no matter how pedantic, that's valid—because it's all those those individual parts that add up to the discordant hole.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xander77 posted:

Feels like your reply to my post is reiterating a lot of assumptions already addressed in my post? Just to be more clear: if toilet paper is hard to get, it doesn't become more expensive, people just find something else to wipe with.

Wastelanders got them old world blues to make them pine for the good stuff?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

let's drill down further on the toilet paper issue
Connect it to the current discussion and consider the effects of irradiated water on wiping arrangements.

Also, hand washing.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

aniviron posted:

Old World Blues encounters were specifically designed to gently caress up people using sniper builds and encourage other tactics.

Its great.

Fallout has always straddled the line between serious and whacky, and while its sometimrs gone too whacky, its pretty much always had an internal consistency that held up. Some plot lines are sillier than others but overall the game treats its whackier elements as serious as they need to be. Super Mutants are silly, but theyre still a dangerous threat and treated that way.

The world (mostly) fits together and communities make sense next to one another. Fallput 3 is just a bunch of ideas thrown at a map given no consideration for how they fit together or the world around them. Its also stuffed with stuff because its fron other fallout games than for any real reason. why do we need water? because water chip? why do we have geck? fallout 2? super mutants and the enclave? you guessed it.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 2, 2020

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

SpookyLizard posted:

Old World Blues encounters were specifically designed to gently caress up people using sniper builds and encourage other tactics.

This is something that, for some reason, keeps popping up here even though Avellone confirmed that wasn't the case and that the weird spawning tricks they used for Old World Blues were due to memory constraints on consoles.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

This is something that, for some reason, keeps popping up here even though Avellone confirmed that wasn't the case and that the weird spawning tricks they used for Old World Blues were due to memory constraints on consoles.

I hadn't heard this before, tbh, but spawning dudes behind players to gently caress with them makes for a better story.

Also this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

i'm going to reinstall this. beyond jsawyer what are the good mods