Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Nope, each sector is an infinite void in game. Fun lore fact, the layout of how the sectors are connected by jump gates does not necessarily reflect where those sectors are located relative to each other in real space. The connections between gates in the network are arbitrary, and IIRC they've been scrambled at least once in the known history of galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Oh dear me posted:

So: are the map sectors actually joined up, or do the cells only have a few defined exit points? I mean, if I am in Trinity Sanctum for example and just fly south east, will I ever reach Hewa's Twin?

No, Trinity Sanctum's hex will just come to represent ever more space. You can watch this happen if you watch the map as you fly toward the hex edge.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

queeb posted:

man i have 5 million bucks now, i dont even know what to do with all this cash. i guess theres a personal HQ quest? ill google that and do it while these guys make me assloads of money

Sweet summer child, 5 million bucks is nothing in this game. Look into getting the blue prints for basic production stations. You want to be able to take the resources your miners are making (ore, silicon, helium, hydrogen, etc) and turn it into products that you can sell to everyone. Then you can keep working up until you're the one producing the highest tier products like weapon components.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oh dear me posted:

I have bounced off X4 many times just because I struggled so much with the controls, but I have finally bought a HOTAS and oh! the difference. I am really enjoying this now I can actually shoot things.

So: are the map sectors actually joined up, or do the cells only have a few defined exit points? I mean, if I am in Trinity Sanctum for example and just fly south east, will I ever reach Hewa's Twin?
Oh yeah, a HOTAS will make ALL of the difference for flying, especially for dog-fighting.
If I've got nothing else going on (like me being in menus or doing something on one of the other screens), I turn off auto-pilot and try to get the place where I'm going as fast as possible in the most stylish way, just for kicks.
It's really fun to drift in and out of gates and around stations, as close as possible.

bgreman posted:

No, Trinity Sanctum's hex will just come to represent ever more space. You can watch this happen if you watch the map as you fly toward the hex edge.
Another way you notice this is when you tell ships to explore sectors, and you notice that the sector isn't the same size, either for the big sectors or for sectors that are contested - eventually you get a feel for how big sectors are just by that.

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

Krogort posted:

I think the flux capacitor drop from khaak

They might drop from khaak but they definitely drop from xenon. They're just rare, if you want to farm for one, find a xenon station partially constructed in a friendly sector, if it's early on in it's construction, it won't fire back, but will constantly spawn xenon construction drones which can be easily destroyed for drops, including a chance for a flux capacitor.

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of which, what are peoples' preferred capital- boarding ships? Since I assume I'd need at least 30-40 marines to comfortably seize a capital ship from SCA or HOP. Right now I can put 150 or so marines on my L-sized Icarararararatua freighter, but since it's painfully slow, it's not particularly practical.
Would a carrier or aux ship have a decent marine capacity, without being incredibly slow? Or am I gonna have to settle with using a couple of Minotaur Raiders?

The Incarcatura is actually pretty decent at boarding since it has such a huge crew compliment so you can more easily brute force board. The more expensive Shuyaku is a bit better since it's faster though.

I was actually able to somewhat engage with the X4 systems last night to board a Fallen Families pirate Rattlesnake destroyer. It was patrolling around a Paranid sector (disguised as a local faction ship as usual) and jumped on one of my miners (which quickly escaped) which is how I noticed it in the first place. To get it to show its pirate colors again (and slow to a stop) I shoved a bunch of valuable cargo into a transport and had it sit along the Rattlesnake's patrol route to act as bait while my Shuyaku loaded with marines waited in the wings and a Nova shadowed the Rattlesnake to maintain vision. Sure enough the Rattlesnake stopped next to my transport and ordered it to drop its cargo. The key was I didn't shoot at the Rattlesnake, I just ordered the max number or marines to board, set the boarding settings to "Very Strong" and just let em go. Yeah you had some losses (40-50 marines) but 200,000 credits worth of marine lives is a small price to pay for a fully kitted Rattlesnake.

Of course in true X4 fashion there was some jank, and a pretty big exploitable oversight I found in an earlier boarding I did, which is that if you board without firing shots, you can usually take an otherwise neutral ship with only temporary rep loss, but whatever.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

So I hit rank 10 with argon, i think im gonna make a silicon wafer station to start. can i just pop one in any system? and is like 11m enough? I was thinking of tossing one in argon prime, seems like theres a demand there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Each sector is a separate world space but you actually can fly to all of the skybox objects if you set your ship on travel mode and leave it for a few hours :v:

Though if you try to fly into a planet it'll blow you up before you reach it, sometimes sooner than others, hatikvah's choice for example will start giving you atmosphere warnings quite a short distance towards the gas giant.

queeb posted:

So I hit rank 10 with argon, i think im gonna make a silicon wafer station to start. can i just pop one in any system? and is like 11m enough? I was thinking of tossing one in argon prime, seems like theres a demand there.

Yeah you can slop stations down wherever though you'll have to pay the cost for the plot up front if you build it in civilized space. Like a land tax.

Silicon's a decent start, I usually do refined metal instead but if you've got a big demand for silicon you can do that instead.

11 mil won't get you very far with blueprints and plot costs but it should be about enough to get a silicon processing module and the necessary storage, docking, and power generation accompaniments.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 1, 2020

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I don't think it's a bad idea to set up basic resources for your first build in your first game since it's cheap and minimum risk, but they're not huge profit and can be a little unstable. The market for things like wafers is easy to crash, especially if you've spent the early game building up a mining empire and thus ensured that the AI's basic refining stations are all operating at full tilt. I think wafers in my current game are worth about 2/3ds as much as the minerals and power cells that go into them, because the market ended up flooded.

I'd recommend starting with manufacturing Hull Parts if you know the game: they're almost always in high demand and not very complicated to make or expensive to get blueprints for. In general, in the mid game your best bet is to start at the back end of the supply chain: identify a final component or part that's in need, set up production where you're buying all the inputs, add a station or module for any input which is undersupplied by the economy, and repeat. You want to avoid spending your money and your build time on modules making intermediate goods that the rest of the galaxy already supplies in excess, at least while money and build time is in short supply.

Ultimately your big money makers will be your own wharfs and shipyards, but you need around 150 MCr to even get started on a basic small/medium wharf. Getting proper shipyards and carrier blueprints is a lot more than that. "I can now make big boats with big guns" is basically where X4 transitions from mid to end game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I work towards hull plates first too, I just start at the bottom and work up because it means no further cash inputs and I already have the miners. It might well be more efficient to start at the top and work back though yeah as the universe does produce a lot of intermediates.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

k i bought all the blueprints for hull plates, now I just need to find somwhere that has ore and methane in the same system so i can set up some miners to supply it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stations actually send their ships out to a distance determined by the manager, not the pilots (or at least I'm fairly sure the manager is the primary determinant of range) so you can probably make that 1 system over at least.

Alternatvely, graphene is actually used in very small amounts so you can just buy in the methane or the graphene.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

oh awesome yeah, its only like 160 graphene, seems a waste to mine all that methane. now i can just toss a station up in argon prime and import graphene and poo poo out hull parts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Graphene refineries are more the thing you would put on a large complex with like, 15 or so hull part modules to supply a major ship production facility running full tilt.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

OwlFancier posted:

Graphene refineries are more the thing you would put on a large complex with like, 15 or so hull part modules to supply a major ship production facility running full tilt.

yeah apparently just one can support like 10 hull plate factories. man this game scales up crazy

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Less Fat Luke posted:

I thought that was teladinium.

I think you'll find it's actually spelled teladianianianianianianianianianianianianianianiaum but I could be wrong.

Thom12255 posted:

Sweet summer child, 5 million bucks is nothing in this game. Look into getting the blue prints for basic production stations. You want to be able to take the resources your miners are making (ore, silicon, helium, hydrogen, etc) and turn it into products that you can sell to everyone. Then you can keep working up until you're the one producing the highest tier products like weapon components.

Word. The game really scales up in terms of how much money you need for <poo poo>. I'm at the stage in the game where I'm probably making about 100 mil an hour, and I still haven't bought all the blueprints (especially the cap ships) and supplying build storage via construction budget for a mega station is still a really big chunk out of the wallet.

-

Been pretty cavalier with mods on this launch-save, but I back them up pretty regularly. I've installed Rise of the Ossian Raider which is a cool mod that basically adds a military threat comparable to the Xenon and has them build up and invade sectors.

So the Teladi are getting their gecko tails whooped by both the Xenon and the Ossian Raiders. It's pretty cool but my priority now is getting enough money so I can buy out all the Teladi BPs before they inevitably eat it.

I've been making money with player wharfs - they really outclass any other kind of mega-fac or whatever. However, I've been 'cheating' and building these big Borg Cubes with the production modules all clipping into each other. It was a cool experiment and they look awesome at 2fps, but now I'm dedicating my playing time to lego-ing translucent blocks into a mega-station that doesn't clip at all.

The only way to do either the cube or this new mega fac is to split the design process into layers, and then edit the XML "constructionplans.xml" to bring them all together into one BP. After that, you've got to snap each layer together with a new connecting piece to make sure the layers connect (though they don't need to, stations work fine disconnected but IIRC you need cargo drones?).

Otherwise, the build interface chugs and it's impossible at a point to add a new snap piece because it tries to draw about a billion green lines for snap points.

If you're having trouble with lag in the build design screen, save the BP, and then reload it. This can help for a while, but once you get enough modules down, it won't anymore.

queeb posted:

yeah apparently just one can support like 10 hull plate factories. man this game scales up crazy

Then you get to some end products like claytronics which need microchips like crazy and you end up building as many or more microchip fabs as claytronics fabs lol. Pretty soon you'll be plopping down stations that are built from hundreds of factories, it's cool, and a whole new way to time-sink.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 2, 2020

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

does every station need a pier? like my little hull parts station im building now, should i toss a pier on it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They allow large vessels to trade with the station so it can be advantageous if you want to shift large volumes of goods, but for a small station I would say no, they aren't needed.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Can L ships trade with stations without the piers with their cargo drones or are the piers how they even get to use the drones?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hmm, my station needs lots of hull parts but isnt getting any, its bought most everything else it needs though, guess ill just buy a big rear end transport vessel and start buying hull parts myself to funnel to it. im assuming the AI traders are hitting the wharfs and shipyards

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

Can L ships trade with stations without the piers with their cargo drones or are the piers how they even get to use the drones?

Cargo drones are literally the physical interface between large ships and stations.

You will notice if you watch the landing pads that they have a clever (and slightly physically dubious) little doohickey that comes out of a slot near the console and positions itself underneath the ships when they land, it lines up with a special port that all ships have on their ventral centerline somewhere and extends to physically connect the ship to the station with a pipe and that's how it transfers cargo.

L ships don't have that, instead they fire cargo drones out of a slot in their nose into a corresponding slot on the pier.

You would never notice any of this if you didn't go looking but in true :egosoft: fashion they modeled it :v:

Also lol there's an :egosoft: emote.

It's slightly weird really because cargo drones can fetch poo poo from across the whole sector but for station trading they only go about twenty meters from the mothership. I kind of wish you could use them as sort of ambient supply drones especially between factories in the same sector.

queeb posted:

hmm, my station needs lots of hull parts but isnt getting any, its bought most everything else it needs though, guess ill just buy a big rear end transport vessel and start buying hull parts myself to funnel to it. im assuming the AI traders are hitting the wharfs and shipyards

That's the other good reason to set up hull part production because yeah, you need them for everything. Once you get the first module set up I might recommend setting a reserve below which it won't sell to anyone so you've got some handy for when you want to expand the station.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 2, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

IIRC both piers and cargo drones are necessary for an L/XL ship to make a trade with a station.

The only times I use L traders or miners is when I limit them to one sector and have them mine and trade between my own stations. So like if you're making a home sector in Nopiles Fortune and have a bunch of facs there.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

oh apparently i had somehow expanded my plot without knowing it so it was red, argon dinged me a rep point. soon as i paid the extra 16k or whatever licence a trader is bringing hull parts

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

L miners are a good choice for any site, I think, because they minimise the number of trips you need to do to get ores. They're not proportionally slower than M ships given the differences in cargo space, so L ships spend less time travelling and more time mining. This may differ if they're making long treks through gates but generally you want to set up your production complexes in ore/silicon rich sectors anyway.

L cargo ships I don't think are generally useful except for the fact that the universe is actually full of them, and having L docking capacity opens your station to a large amount of extra capacity for selling and buying with NPC freighters, which is very desirable if your station is going through a lot of goods.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

^^Agreed. I tend to concentrate my facs in mineral / gas rich areas and then I'll set up 10 sector miners or so, all L ships. It helps to de-clutter the interface vs having like 40-60 M miners to feed 2-3 megafacs. I've not experimented with L universe miners, but now I'm thinking about setting up an L mining fleet to supply just a few core sectors with max mine/trade distances of 3 or so sectors.

Definitely build a pier if you're going to make a factory that's more than just 4 x hull parts, 1m6s dock, because as you say, the universe has tons and tons of L trader ships just trundling all over the drat place.

L traders I can't really imagine using myself as universe traders. But I'll happily set up sector traders with L ships to move goods between my facs. They function basically as mules at that point, but without having to install the mule mod which seems too feature-packed, when tatertrader can be jerry-rigged to function the same way by limiting gate distance and/or faction.

As I expand out of Nopiles Fortune (the resource rich one) will probs experiment with embiggening their gate distances.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

by the sounds of it i shouldnt set up shop in argon prime? lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you use one of the alternative trade script mods then L traders can actually shift some serious goods, but the way the game handles trades by default, they're actually kinda dumb, so in all honest I often run just fleets of couriers. They're fast and the game really likes doing tiny volume trades and you might as well do it with an S ship than an L ship.

queeb posted:

No you totally can, in fact setting up near a shipyard isn't a bad idea as they will be your ultimate market for the goods. Plus the argon will handle station defence for you (albeit not always as aggressively as you might like) so it's a decent first investment.

Plus you can always dismantle stations and ship all the components off somewhere else if you decide you don't want the station any more.

Argon prime has some rocks in it and a shipyard so it's a decent spot for an early vertically integrated ship part factory.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

queeb posted:

Argon Prime is not a bad place to build a fac. It was my babby's first self-sufficient hull parts factory location.

The reasons being A) it's relatively resource rich (ore, silicon), and close to other resource rich sectors by virtue of highway, and B) it's got stations that will consume your hull parts and is also close to other stations, by virtue of highway, that will consume your hull parts.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I have like 30 miners in Argon Prime, it's crazy how much Ore they go through.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to go real galaxy brain poo poo you want to set up in somewhere like nopileous fortune and sell ship parts to all three sides of the HOP conflict at the same time :v:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
L traders would be good ... if the game actually loaded them up with stuff. Unfortunately, the way the game handles trading for autotraders and boats assigned to a station is by doing one trade at a time. It'll happily take your very slow 21 000 m³ freighter, put 16 m³ of cargo in it and fly it 3 sectors over to the station that happened to be offering the most per unit, then fly it back home.

It's one of the things about autotrade that really irks me, to be honest. I'm not expecting a full travelling salesman solver here, but the game could at least fully load the trader whenever it goes home and then have it greedily go station-to-station selling until empty or out of buyers. It's not like it's more compute time.

Anyhow: as is you should strongly favor the smaller, faster traders. Miners don't have that problem and can be large; they're just crap if you're in the same sector as they are instead. :v:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

OwlFancier posted:

If you want to go real galaxy brain poo poo you want to set up in somewhere like nopileous fortune and sell ship parts to all three sides of the HOP conflict at the same time :v:

That sector is actually where I build my illegal drugs.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Each sector is a separate world space but you actually can fly to all of the skybox objects if you set your ship on travel mode and leave it for a few hours :v:

Speaking of which, there's a system somewhere n the..."north east", I guess, which has what looks like a big space station (possibly a teladi ring station) in front of a star -so it's real obvious- miiiiiiles away from the sector centre.

I'm off my PC right now so I can't check, but I think it was at the fringes of Split space. Family Tkr maybe? I don't THINK it was in Zyarth's Dominion, but I could be wrong. Anyway, as unhelpful as that info is, does anyone know the place? And if so, is it worth going to? i wasted around half an hour attempting to reach it the other day, so now that I have the SETA components I'm curious about trying again :v:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I uninstalled this to go play assassin’s creed for a bit, but one thing that still rankles with me is that you can’t easily set up automated supply routes for your own factories. Yes, you can mod it in but in a game that’s basically about setting up closed loop logistics chains and then letting them run unaided while you shoot aliens, it seems a strange oversight.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of which, there's a system somewhere n the..."north east", I guess, which has what looks like a big space station (possibly a teladi ring station) in front of a star -so it's real obvious- miiiiiiles away from the sector centre.

I'm off my PC right now so I can't check, but I think it was at the fringes of Split space. Family Tkr maybe? I don't THINK it was in Zyarth's Dominion, but I could be wrong. Anyway, as unhelpful as that info is, does anyone know the place? And if so, is it worth going to? i wasted around half an hour attempting to reach it the other day, so now that I have the SETA components I'm curious about trying again :v:

I believe that's in the argon sector to the far north.

And you can indeed fly to it, but it's just a prop, I believe it's actually the xenon hub from X3. You can't interact with it or get too close to it without dying.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Beefeater1980 posted:

I uninstalled this to go play assassin’s creed for a bit, but one thing that still rankles with me is that you can’t easily set up automated supply routes for your own factories. Yes, you can mod it in but in a game that’s basically about setting up closed loop logistics chains and then letting them run unaided while you shoot aliens, it seems a strange oversight.

You can sort of do it by restricting trade to other factions but still assigning traders, and setting the price as low as possible for the supply side. But I agree it'd be nicer to have something overtly like the CLS stuff in X3. The Mule mod is getting there though.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

It takes about 6 hours in the fastest ship in Travel Mode.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
This has probably been answered somewhere, but what does the little cardboard box icons on the market overlays represent? I'm assuming it means they are full of that stock for now or something but that is just a guess since I haven't seen the game mention it

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Those are station build storage trade offers.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So can you play your old files for the expansion or should I be starting fresh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You should be fine with the old one.