Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
What does it take to unlock characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I haven't started yet, would it better to finish solo and then try co-op or goon up and do a 4 team

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

This game is hard. I cant even get past the first level or get to the first save point, on the default difficulty. Tryin all characters.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Playing through the game with Blaze on Mania now. Either my massive grinding session to finish the game in one go on Hardest paid off after I finally slept or Axel just completely failed to click with me, jesus. Enemies are getting utterly destroyed and I managed to chain an Out of This World!!! (sic) combo during the police station that dropped a fat 4k point bonus on me. Somehow the game feels much more fair on a harder difficulty now. I think it's because you really DO need to learn to defensive special aggressively and properly chain knockdowns due to the lessened mobility. It's totally possible to dominate enemies but man, it takes some real-rear end grinding to get there.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 2, 2020

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Alan Smithee posted:

I haven't started yet, would it better to finish solo and then try co-op or goon up and do a 4 team

Online is only 2 player. As for solo or coop, it is up to you. Solo would probably be better so you get a feel for the game.

Bloodly posted:

What does it take to unlock characters?

Basically, just playing the game. You unlock characters as you earn more points over time.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

where the gently caress am I gonna find 4 people for LAN in this climate :smith::hf::smith::hf::smith::hf::smith:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Can't believe I slept so hard on the SOR1 characters. They're a bit boring to play since they don't have the same breadth of tactics at their disposal but they make up for it by having insanely overpowered normal combos. After struggling with the story on normal I've been whipping through the levels on hard with SOR1 Adam.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

flashy_mcflash posted:

Can't believe I slept so hard on the SOR1 characters. They're a bit boring to play since they don't have the same breadth of tactics at their disposal but they make up for it by having insanely overpowered normal combos. After struggling with the story on normal I've been whipping through the levels on hard with SOR1 Adam.

Yeah i kinda had a laugh when i saw the SOR1 characters and they're super basic but tap tap tap in a nice rhythm is fun when i just want to chill out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Skytrain Boss on Hardest: LOL

It's pretty crazy how much my SoR skills have increased in just a couple days. Feels good when you phase right through some wombo combo with a defensive special.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Up+Jump is meant to do a safe fall. It seems inconsistent, though. Is there something I'm missing?

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Stark Fist posted:

This is the first I've heard about Remote Play Together and I'm floored. Very excited to try it out. Has anyone tried it with SoR4?

I did a full 4 player run with it with friends. You definitely need a strong internet connection to host, as sometimes mine would buckle under strain of handling not just my inputs but everyone else's as they were remoted to my PC. Controllers can be awkward to set up too, but how much of that is the game itself I don't know. One of my group had to switch to a PS4 from his Xbox 360 pad to get the game to recognise it, for instance, and we had to do quite a few restarts of levels as people randomly dropped out/pads stopped working/etc. We did get through a whole run so it works for the most part and aside from some lag spikes the experience wasn't too bad for my friends either. It's workable but native 4 player online support would be much better.

Another thing to note is that only one player needs to own the game to host a remote play session, the rest of a group only needs to connect to the host.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If you're the player in co-op who picks up the turkey with a full health bar while your partner is dying I think you should go to jail for the rest of your life. Please donate to my presidential campaign.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Bloodly posted:

Up+Jump is meant to do a safe fall. It seems inconsistent, though. Is there something I'm missing?

I just tap jump once right before I hit the ground and it works for me. I think mashing or pushing other buttons will cause it to fail.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It must have taken me at least 30 tries to get past the first floor of Y Tower on Hardest. Good thing the boss is so easy or I would have flipped! Higher difficulties do not gently caress around.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I have no idea why neutral jumping has more i-frames than anyone's neutral special.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

How does it compare to forward and backward jump?

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider

Firstborn posted:

I love this game so I'm going to post some Floyd tech now. After Floyd does his Forward+Throw against an enemy into a wall, you can press Attack x1 then cancel into his Forward+Special (the extendo-grab). So you could do this (works on bosses):
Grab, Neutral Attack x2, Forward Throw (into wall/corner)
Attack x1, Forward+Special
Repeat as long as your health allows

If you want to finish up the loops, you could press Special while grabbed to do the shocking grasp then, then cancel that into his Blitz Attack for a big finish.
Here's an infinite combo for Floyd
Attack x3, pause, Attack x3, pause, Attack x3, pause...
Other enemies will generally try to walk up to you, and get caught in Floyd's massive jab range and be added to the group. Takes a little bit of timing to pull off, but can't be broken out of, and completely skips boss second phases.

\/\/ The key to Blaze's mobility is jumping, and pressing Special instantly as she leaves the ground. She is also considered airborne during her Blitz Attack, so you can cancel that into her air Special, too.

I found another infinite for him mid screen from a grab. Grab, A,A, neutral j.A (air throw), j.2A (air down punch), (land) A (jab) xx 6S (gotcha) repeat. Works on light enemies (for heavy you have to drob the jab but it seems to drop sometimes).

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

is that a giant butt plug in the art gallery level

It's a reference to Paul McCarthy's 'Christmas Tree' Paris artwork.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2014/oct/20/paul-mccarthy-butt-plug-sculpture-paris-rightwing-backlash

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

yergacheffe posted:

I just tap jump once right before I hit the ground and it works for me. I think mashing or pushing other buttons will cause it to fail.

Yeah, it's more like a traditional ukemi now where you just hit jump a moment before hitting the ground instead of holding up+jump like in the old games.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Final boss was ridiculously easy, just stay in the top left corner once the second phase starts and you're pretty much good (was only normal mind).

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Commissioner is the hardest, right? I can't think of any other bosses that I had a ton of trouble with.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

flashy_mcflash posted:

Commissioner is the hardest, right? I can't think of any other bosses that I had a ton of trouble with.

Estel Round 2 is the hardest for me. Facing three bosses at once will do that to ya. :shepface:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Comissioner by himself is pretty easy. You just dodge his charges and grab him, rinse and repeat. He always loses his super armor when his grab charge (the one that goes to the wall) misses.

I have issues with Beyo and Riha (the snake ladies in the art gallery) just because they deny so much of the fight arena and can chain you into each other.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Commish was pretty easy for me since you can just neutral jump his grab. Barbon on the other hand can really hurt you if you get wombo comboed into the bikes, and he comes at the end of a pretty tough level in general.

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but every bike you destroy spawns another biker lady, so don't just go smashing them willy nilly!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

exquisite tea posted:

Commish was pretty easy for me since you can just neutral jump his grab. Barbon on the other hand can really hurt you if you get wombo comboed into the bikes, and he comes at the end of a pretty tough level in general.

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but every bike you destroy spawns another biker lady, so don't just go smashing them willy nilly!

The other thing about Barbon is that you can avoid his spin kicks by neutral jumping even if you're right next to him. Not necessary for when he only does the single kick version, but when he does a bunch in a row you can just get a rhythm down for when to jump and he wont hit you at all.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
people online are really mad about the lack of dashing and/or dodge rolling

like, to a degree I can't even wrap my head around

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Sounds familiar to me.

Maybe they'll fix it by popular demand in the next Streets of Rage game which will be called SoR: Streets of Rage and they'll add not one but TWO separate dodge buttons just so that people never have to learn to jump up to evade.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

It makes the characters that don't have it feel really slow, and some of the ground based hazards loving infuriating because the timing windows are so tiny. I don't even mean like grenades and stuff that enemies throw, but like the fire jets in the sewers in particular are annoying.

I get from a balance standpoint why they don't, but from a quality of life standpoint it makes the characters who have it feel so much better than those that don't.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've mostly been playing Blaze and her airdash is really good, so I'm not hurting for mobility there. Seems to crush almost every air attack as well.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Whew just completed coop online on hardest with some rando and friendly damage on, I loving love streets of rage and I can't believe I'm playing a new one in 2020.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Yeah, I don't mind that aspect of the game, my biggest complaint is the huge lunge enemies and the enemies and bosses with heavy doses of super armor where sometimes the only way to avoid their attack is to just walk away from them for a while.

I'm also not sure I agree with enemies like the taser cops being able to move straight down on the Z-axis to grab you because none of the characters can interrupt them with jabs. I also kinda wish neutral specials had more i-frames because the best defense move literally being neutral jump is kinda lame.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, I don't mind that aspect of the game, my biggest complaint is the huge lunge enemies and the enemies and bosses with heavy doses of super armor where sometimes the only way to avoid their attack is to just walk away from them for a while.

I'm also not sure I agree with enemies like the taser cops being able to move straight down on the Z-axis to grab you because none of the characters can interrupt them with jabs. I also kinda wish neutral specials had more i-frames because the best defense move literally being neutral jump is kinda lame.

I just beat the game in Mania with Blaze, and it feels like the superarmor is overstated. Estel Round 2 (what I'd call my hardest boss to beat on my first runthrough, with Y Tower being the hardest stage) went real smoothly because I was able to dash-loop her to like, half HP before she sent in the clowns. The more I play the more I realize dash attacks are super powerful as combo pieces for Axel and Blaze. They have to use them to get more damage and continue combos without going to their forward specials because having the ability to cancel into a neutral special at any time is gigantic for safety. I think that's why neutral jumps have so much invuln -- you can't really cancel into them on a dime like you can with neutral specials, so they had to get SOMETHING to compensate, cconsidering their combo routes are nil without an air special followup.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think level 10, the concert level is easily the worst level in the game for me. Awful opening, awful boss, and just really dull for me to play.

As for as all the strategy talk goes, I guess I hear it, but a lot of the stuff just doesn't feel all that fun for me to play. I've beaten it and I guess I do alright, but I usually limit my playtime up to the point where I just start getting annoyed and then just switch it off.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/craigsj/status/1256638430471229441?s=21

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

If you're the player in co-op who picks up the turkey with a full health bar while your partner is dying I think you should go to jail for the rest of your life. Please donate to my presidential campaign.

fuckin life sttealing little brothers of contra wont go away

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Boss I've had the most issue with is Max, mainly because I can't seem to grapple him and his grapples do a LOT of damage.

I guess it's the same issue as the wrestler guy is SoR2 and I never had a solid strategy for him either :shrug:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Aces High posted:

Boss I've had the most issue with is Max, mainly because I can't seem to grapple him and his grapples do a LOT of damage.

I guess it's the same issue as the wrestler guy is SoR2 and I never had a solid strategy for him either :shrug:

You can't grapple him as far as I know because he has infinite super armor. But only his shoulder charges have any tracking, so you can just walk away from the rest of his attacks and then pummel him during his super long windups. It's boring, but effective.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I started using Floyd, and I agree with whoever said he'd be great in co-op. I'm coming from Blaze and Floyd's grab reach is insane, and it feels like I'm doing way more damage with way less effort. That said, he doesn't quite have Blaze's mobility options, and while it's cool that he can goomba stomp his way across the room it takes way more fuel to get half the distance Blaze does. I'm poo poo wrecking regular goons, but anything that doesn't like to be grabbed (bosses, shield cops) and/or has moves I need to dodge on a dime (again, bosses) is putting it straight up my rear end

I would totally use him as crowd control in multiplayer, but by himself I just miss bouncing across the screen with Blaze. I am also bad at the game though

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I really like Adam because I can just zoom across the room with his dash and juggles are hilariously easy. His dashing one-two punch does ridiculous damage, and it's easy to combo- get them into the air with your standard before the kick, two more hits, dash into the one-two. If you're near a wall that can go right back into a special air or another one-two dash. It's silly. Also his dash with a dagger/sai lets you hit 3-4 times super fast while moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Zaodai posted:

You can't grapple him as far as I know because he has infinite super armor. But only his shoulder charges have any tracking, so you can just walk away from the rest of his attacks and then pummel him during his super long windups. It's boring, but effective.

I've found him to be the easiest boss by far since you can just get up in his face and throw your most damaging combos at him. All of his moves have pretty long wind-ups so when you see them coming, just do your defensive special and keep hammering on him. He's not especially mobile which makes him a big target. Just keep the pressure up on him and use your special when you see him about to attack. Every other boss moves around a lot more which makes them a lot harder to beat into submission.

Edit: you can escape his grapples pretty easily by button mashing, at least on normal.