Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Protection from arrows definitely not doing a damned thing against goblin shortbows pecking me to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So for a Paladin's Lay on Hands when it says 1d6 for every 2 levels should it be 1d6 or 2d6 at third level? In the Alpha I noticed the Paladin healed a character for 1 HP.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ryuujin posted:

So for a Paladin's Lay on Hands when it says 1d6 for every 2 levels should it be 1d6 or 2d6 at third level? In the Alpha I noticed the Paladin healed a character for 1 HP.

Lay on Hands is gained at second level and is one die for every two levels you have.

Pathfinder posted:

With one use of this ability, a paladin can heal 1d6 hit points of damage for every two paladin levels she possesses.

You should heal for 1d6 at third level. It'll be 2d6 at fourth.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Alright, pretty sure I've hit the end of the alpha. Reached a map screen similar to the normal overland Kingmaker one and started to advance along it, only for my marker to stop shortly thereafter and the movement buttons vanished as well. Everything else was still accessible though (character sheets, inventory, etc.). Not ENTIRELY certain that it wasn't a bug or something - and a note would have been helpful assuming it is the end - but I'm roughly around the furthest I thought the alpha was extending anyways.

It has been fairly interesting. There have been multiple story changes, including ones that may very well have major repercussions or choices later, and overall it has definitely kept my attention. The model work for enemies in the early areas seems mostly done, as I only recall one minor enemy that I suspect is using a placeholder model, and there has been a fairly good variety of enemies as well. Still a lot of probable art assets missing, but that is a very fast process to get in the game once it actually exists. As far as I can tell all descriptor text for enemies and the like isn't in either, but that's not exactly a priority for stability testing.

One overarching issue I am having is that a few areas have a LOT of burning fire in them, and it's definitely causing some slowdown when it's onscreen. Obviously this could be much more optimized in the coming months - or maybe I should just upgrade my computer - but even as-is it's livable.

edit: Nope, looks like I'm wrong - it just bugged out. Given the map actually does have a massive amount of placeholders on it, not too surprising I guess.

On a separate matter, because it has been mentioned in this thread previously as a good strategy for Kingmaker, don't get too attached to the Stinking Cloud + Communal Delay Poison combo for Wrath, as demons are completely immune to poison.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 2, 2020

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I finally finished my first playthrough of this game. Over 150 hours. So what do I do? I start a second playthrough with an all merc team, CotW and turn-based mode. Holy poo poo turn based mode makes this game so much better. And easier. I went from getting brutalized by spiders to only failing one save against them for the entire first part of the game.

I'm level 5 and here's the gang:

Kokoro - Vindictive Bastard (this class's abilities seem really lackluster, maybe I should reroll as an actual Paladin)
Harley - Two Handed Fighter (I thought going Vivisectionist until I got greater mutagen would be a good splash. Didn't realize greater mutagen was level 12 and a 1 level splash for 1d6 sneak attack damage and +4 strength isn't worth it, especially since she has a base INT of 8 and will never cast spells)
Rue - Grenadier (was going to go vivisectionist but at the time I thought Harley was going to do that. Doesn't matter, Grenadier is great)
Zoe - Eldritch Archer (It was kind of hard to figure out how to combo spell strike/spell combat but now that I think I have it worked out it's great)
Bud - Divine Herald (Not great yet, but being able to turn all your spells into summons is very my jam)
Undine - Sylvan Sorcerer (Kind wish I knew that the smiladon needed a full attack to get all its attacks in. Kinda wish it learned weapon finesse. Level 5 is still pretty low for a sorc so the jury is still out on her)

But seriously what is possessing me to play this game again?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 2, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ekundayo is a loving beast isn't he? Aside from his Dog tripping and critting loving everything and then Ekun has that Savage Bow from the Stag Lord plus the extra shot feat, and he's pulling down up to 60+ damage on each of his turns. God drat!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

chaosapiant posted:

Ekundayo is a loving beast isn't he? Aside from his Dog tripping and critting loving everything and then Ekun has that Savage Bow from the Stag Lord plus the extra shot feat, and he's pulling down up to 60+ damage on each of his turns. God drat!

Rangers in general just work simply and well. Maybe take a couple of eldritch archer levels for an extra attack each round, but otherwise they work well as just themselves. Like alchemists.

Edit:
It's interesting how the balance of the computer version compares to tabletop.
In tabletop, Cater Bullshit rules past ~level 9, but with the limited scope/flexibility of a computer game, things are a lot more even.

Atopian fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 2, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just got Ekun some new bow from the dwarven ruins, and he’s doing up to 100+ damage a turn now and can single crit-kill branded trolls. His dog looks huge and my main char has loving wings. Game is an awesome power fantasy.

Edit: Is there any point to memorizing heal spells as a cleric, when they can do the heal-convert thing?

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 2, 2020

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Just got Ekun some new bow from the dwarven ruins, and he’s doing up to 100+ damage a turn now and can single crit-kill branded trolls. His dog looks huge and my main char has loving wings. Game is an awesome power fantasy.

Edit: Is there any point to memorizing heal spells as a cleric, when they can do the heal-convert thing?

Level 6 heal will need to be memorized as it's not a 'cure' but otherwise nope. (unless they are evil)

And yeah, archers are murder machines on account of not having to move to change targets. That bow was specifically designed to deal with.
Wait till you get some of the archery gear this game is stocked with. these exact trolls. Dorfs got their revenge.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Atopian posted:

In tabletop, Cater Bullshit rules past ~level 9, but with the limited scope/flexibility of a computer game, things are a lot more even.
You also have an incentive to not rest all the time because you will lose your kingdom if you just go camping in a cyclops tomb for half a year.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Kalas posted:

And yeah, archers are murder machines on account of not having to move to change targets.

I think a big part of this is that a lot of the stuff you have to care about with ranged combat in pnp (cover, hitting allies, ammo management, sneak attack range) just doesn't exist here. So ranged combat in pathfinder seems to have no real downside compared to melee.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Avalerion posted:

I think a big part of this is that a lot of the stuff you have to care about with ranged combat in pnp (cover, hitting allies, ammo management, sneak attack range) just doesn't exist here. So ranged combat in pathfinder seems to have no real downside compared to melee.

Precise Shot being a very low level feat that completely removes the penalty for shooting into combat is too strong, especially when combined with how sneak attack works.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Atopian posted:

Rangers in general just work simply and well. Maybe take a couple of eldritch archer levels for an extra attack each round, but otherwise they work well as just themselves. Like alchemists.

Edit:

I think the crpg has a few things that address the balance gap that would not be viable ways to do it in the pen and paper.

For one, there are huge numbers of trash mobs in this game. At the pace at which combat flows in a tabletop setting, even a relatively quick group is never ever going to want to do this many fights in a day, because it will take forever to resolve. And no one wants to spend 30 minutes on a one round combat where you kill all the goblins at level 8 or whatever. It's not satisfying for anyone and it takes ages. In the crpg it can still feel like too many irrelevant combats that pose no real threat, but they go by a lot faster.

There are also just a lot fewer spells in this game, and a lot of the bullshit spells got cut out. There are plenty still, but even just removing all the 'wall' spells means casters can't just trivially control an entire battlefield with relatively low level spells.

A really big one is that the implementation of Flight in this game is not nearly as powerful as in the pen and paper, and casters tend to just have a much easier time acquiring flight or other movement modes. In the pen and paper you can have a Druid with Natural Spell shift into an Earth Elemental and literally be inside the ground during fights, only popping up to cast spells when appropriate. You can't do silly bullshit like that here. It also means flying enemies don't completely take a melee focused character out of the fight until/unless the party can somehow get the enemy into range of the guy-with-a-pointy-stick. Summoning options are also way fewer, you can't scour 9 source books for the one summonable creature that they forgot to strip out some encounter breaking ability.

Enemy AI also helps--enemies won't avoid AOE spells and will usually aggro on the nearest character. They'll happily bang rocks against the person wearing adamantine armor and ignore the robed caster 2 feet behind him casting world ending spells, even if they are theoretically very intelligent enemies. Though some archers in the crpg do seem to like to shoot your wizards in the head a lot.

But probably the most important change as that within the party, balance basically doesn't matter. It is okay if the Fighter is 'worse' than the Wizard because you are one person controlling all of them. It is okay if the Fighter is just a meat shield that stands in front of the wizard, and has no real functionality outside of combat. Because there isn't a player that is bored or has nothing to do. It's okay for the Rogue to go and disarm a hallway with like 9 traps in it while everyone else waits, because it doesn't stop the game for everyone else (and because you have to cause the wizard can't control summons well enough to send them charging over the traps, sacrificing themselves for the greater good). Balance is improved by the limitations of the format but also, it's made so much less important. I always found a /ton/ of running Pathfinder to be trying to make sure everyone got to participate and feel important to the story and have fun, no matter their character build. And this game literally just doesn't have that problem, because it is a single player game.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Party balance being irrelevant for single player is true, but I'd suggest that the time it comes up in the crpg is in party selection, especially with mercs (since premade characters have different attribute point buys and pre-existing choices that confuse things).

And from that perspective, there's definitely more room for non-full-casters in optimised / high-pressure play than in tabletop.

Re: the caster movement mode bullshit you mentioned, I feel like an absolute necessity for rebalancing tabletop is to correctly price abilities that can make entire modes of attack irrelevant.
Give people The Wonder Of Flight or whatever as an out-of-combat utility thing, but make it clumsy / disruptable in combat, and save in-combat flight/etc for high enough levels that it can realistically be 'paid for' at the high price it really deserves.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Lord Koth posted:

Alright, pretty sure I've hit the end of the alpha. Reached a map screen similar to the normal overland Kingmaker one and started to advance along it, only for my marker to stop shortly thereafter and the movement buttons vanished as well. Everything else was still accessible though (character sheets, inventory, etc.). Not ENTIRELY certain that it wasn't a bug or something - and a note would have been helpful assuming it is the end - but I'm roughly around the furthest I thought the alpha was extending anyways.

It has been fairly interesting. There have been multiple story changes, including ones that may very well have major repercussions or choices later, and overall it has definitely kept my attention. The model work for enemies in the early areas seems mostly done, as I only recall one minor enemy that I suspect is using a placeholder model, and there has been a fairly good variety of enemies as well. Still a lot of probable art assets missing, but that is a very fast process to get in the game once it actually exists. As far as I can tell all descriptor text for enemies and the like isn't in either, but that's not exactly a priority for stability testing.

One overarching issue I am having is that a few areas have a LOT of burning fire in them, and it's definitely causing some slowdown when it's onscreen. Obviously this could be much more optimized in the coming months - or maybe I should just upgrade my computer - but even as-is it's livable.

edit: Nope, looks like I'm wrong - it just bugged out. Given the map actually does have a massive amount of placeholders on it, not too surprising I guess.

On a separate matter, because it has been mentioned in this thread previously as a good strategy for Kingmaker, don't get too attached to the Stinking Cloud + Communal Delay Poison combo for Wrath, as demons are completely immune to poison.

So since it seems like you are much further in the Alpha than I am, if not quite done, have you seen the various options for Mythic paths? I have only come across one thing that seemed like it would be picking the Aeon Mythic Path, but that seemed like it would probably be a bad fit for an Abyssal Bloodrager Tiefling. Not that I know enough about the Mythic Paths to figure out which ones would be best for each class.

How soon are the Mythic Paths available, where would one go to get one other than Aeon?

So far I have either been working, or spending too much time building characters.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
So Call of the Wild adding the Sanctified Slayer archetype (plus the mod author walking back their Nexus tantrum and uploading it again) has me eyeing another run, but a) some mod update or other broke my save so I can't just reload my endgame save to respec my insane frankenbuild into it, and b) my first run through the campaign took 200 hours and I'm not really feeling that kind of time commitment, even in this time of quarantine.

But I do own the Stolen Lands DLC, sooooo I have a question about its roguelike mode, for people who've played it a lot: what kind of loot shows up in it? Do unique items from the main game appear there (either from drops or from vendors) or is it all just generic +X type stuff?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 3, 2020

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

So Call of the Wild adding the Sanctified Slayer archetype (plus the mod author walking back their Nexus tantrum and uploading it again) has me eyeing another run, but a) some mod update or other broke my save so I can't just reload my endgame save to respec my insane frankenbuild into it, and b) my first run through the campaign took 200 hours and I'm not really feeling that kind of time commitment, even in this time of quarantine.

But I do own the Stolen Lands DLC, sooooo I have a question about its roguelike mode, for people who've played it a lot: what kind of loot shows up in it? Do unique items from the main game appear there (either from drops or from vendors) or is it all just generic +X type stuff?

Lots of loot, veerry random, and stuff you can't get from the main game is in there.
Most things from the main game can show up randomly, but there's plenty of unique in rogue-like dungeon.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ryuujin posted:

So since it seems like you are much further in the Alpha than I am, if not quite done, have you seen the various options for Mythic paths? I have only come across one thing that seemed like it would be picking the Aeon Mythic Path, but that seemed like it would probably be a bad fit for an Abyssal Bloodrager Tiefling. Not that I know enough about the Mythic Paths to figure out which ones would be best for each class.

How soon are the Mythic Paths available, where would one go to get one other than Aeon?

So far I have either been working, or spending too much time building characters.

The short answer is, not for a while.

I actually just finished a playthrough today and the alpha goes through the full assault on Drezen, so if you've not reached the Wardstone yet then there's a LOT to go. Anyways, in regards to Mythic Paths it's... odd. The actual Mythic Paths as advertised aren't actually available until you finish Drezen... basically at the point where you hit Mythic Hero lvl 3. There is a selection to be made at the Wardstone too, which does give some unique abilities based on which one you choose, but I'm not certain if the selection you make there has any real effect outside of those.

This is only a single playthrough so far, so no idea for certain on what modifies what or leads to different paths being available at the end. I did hear where the trigger for making the Lich path available is through the community (it's not a default option), but didn't actually activate it. I'm aware of the Aeon thing you're talking about, and would assume that's the trigger for opening up that Mythic Path as well. I personally had Angel and Trickster available at the end, and Demon's probably another one that is incredibly easy to get (you get a few mandatory story book moments that very much look like they're probably the trigger for that one).

So that's three easily available, two that have definite missable triggers (Aeon and Lich), and one that I suspect has a missable trigger as well (Azata). Conveniently that's a goodish/neutral/evilish option available by default, and then you need to actually find something for the others. Dragon/Swarm were confirmed not to be in, and I don't know if Legendary Hero is either.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
For someone who isn't familiar with APs, roughly what percentage of the main story is in the alpha?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

SweetBro posted:

For someone who isn't familiar with APs, roughly what percentage of the main story is in the alpha?

Chapter 2 in its entirety, and most of chapter 1. There's an introductory and underground part of chapter 1 that's skipped (the alpha starts with a lvl 3 party - you plus the 3 companions you presumably gain in that missing section - having just exited the underground). In theory there are 6 chapters.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone else notice the mushrooms in the Wild looks exactly like y’all, erect penises?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Lord Koth posted:

The short answer is, not for a while.

I actually just finished a playthrough today and the alpha goes through the full assault on Drezen, so if you've not reached the Wardstone yet then there's a LOT to go. Anyways, in regards to Mythic Paths it's... odd. The actual Mythic Paths as advertised aren't actually available until you finish Drezen... basically at the point where you hit Mythic Hero lvl 3. There is a selection to be made at the Wardstone too, which does give some unique abilities based on which one you choose, but I'm not certain if the selection you make there has any real effect outside of those.

This is only a single playthrough so far, so no idea for certain on what modifies what or leads to different paths being available at the end. I did hear where the trigger for making the Lich path available is through the community (it's not a default option), but didn't actually activate it. I'm aware of the Aeon thing you're talking about, and would assume that's the trigger for opening up that Mythic Path as well. I personally had Angel and Trickster available at the end, and Demon's probably another one that is incredibly easy to get (you get a few mandatory story book moments that very much look like they're probably the trigger for that one).

So that's three easily available, two that have definite missable triggers (Aeon and Lich), and one that I suspect has a missable trigger as well (Azata). Conveniently that's a goodish/neutral/evilish option available by default, and then you need to actually find something for the others. Dragon/Swarm were confirmed not to be in, and I don't know if Legendary Hero is either.

Okay just finished the Worldstone recently and had some serious choice paralysis. Especially since I wasn't sure if the unlimited rage mythic feat would work for Bloodragers, but it seems it does.

Also now I really want to play a Druid and a Kineticist because of some of those feats/abilities.

I almost picked a Demon ability to start but its 2nd tier ability would basically be wasted once my character gets to 20th level, which obviously isn't happening in the alpha but still. I did make at least one choice where I gave in to an inner voice and convinced some likely cultists to run off and set an explosive up in a room I later came to, where I watched them accidentally blow up a whole room of enemies. So I would not be surprised if I get Demon as an option for Path later.

I did not take on the Aeon thing when I got the dagger because I was afraid it might lock me into that Path, but now I am wondering if that is indeed the case.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone else notice the mushrooms in the Wild looks exactly like y’all, erect penises?

cut or uncut?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

SweetBro posted:

As Koth noted, the stage demo took place during chapter 2, and the alpha covers basically all of books/chapters 1 and 2 save for the literal noob cave beneath Kenabres which kicks off the actual AP. Presumably the noob cave will be the tutorial area in the final game ala Jamandi's mansion in Kingmaker.

There are six chapters in the original AP, but these are considerably wider in scope and remember that Owlcat added what are essentially multiple extra chapters to the game version of Kingmaker (which are now being adapted back into the tabletop version). I would not be surprised if we end up with an eight or nine chapter game by the end.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ryuujin posted:

Okay just finished the Worldstone recently and had some serious choice paralysis. Especially since I wasn't sure if the unlimited rage mythic feat would work for Bloodragers, but it seems it does.

Also now I really want to play a Druid and a Kineticist because of some of those feats/abilities.

I almost picked a Demon ability to start but its 2nd tier ability would basically be wasted once my character gets to 20th level, which obviously isn't happening in the alpha but still. I did make at least one choice where I gave in to an inner voice and convinced some likely cultists to run off and set an explosive up in a room I later came to, where I watched them accidentally blow up a whole room of enemies. So I would not be surprised if I get Demon as an option for Path later.

I did not take on the Aeon thing when I got the dagger because I was afraid it might lock me into that Path, but now I am wondering if that is indeed the case.

Honestly, I interpreted that choices as a more Trickster one than Demon due to how it played out. Demon seems more advertised as giving in to your inner rage, rather than causing chaos via deceiving people to do something for your benefit. And yes, some of the abilities are just great (and working). I went through with a Grenadier, and the Ascendent Element ability was an insta-grab - completely ignore elemental immunity/resistance for a selected element with any spell/ability you toss out, thus not needing to bother with non-fire bombs? Don't mind if I do. Also amazing for blaster build casters and kineticists too, of course.

There are definitely mythic feats and abilities that aren't working properly at the moment though. The Mythic Feat... mythic feat... is just displaying a list of mythic abilities instead, same as the Extra Mythic Ability feat below it - though admittedly it isn't too important given the number of builds that would want a normal feat in a mythic slot are vanishingly thin. On the other hand, I definitely confirmed the Mythic Channel feat isn't working either and that one actually will be valuable (add double your CHA modifier to channel rolls).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

26 hours in now. Game is a slow burn for sure but just keeps getting better. I really enjoy the party members in this game. At first they all fake across as super generic. But they actually have agency in the story and in their lives. I actually yelped “no, don’t do that!” when Harrim flattened the anvil in Trobold. It’s sliding up to Pillars and my favorite game in this style.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They're all dicks, op.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
So in Wrath of Righteous, Tricksters get 4 levels of Sneak attack progression that stack with sneak attack class progress from standard class and mirror image ability a few times per rest. Also, their stealth in combat can work like greater invisibility.
Even Vanilla fighter can now do poo poo like a Sword Saint.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

26 hours in now. Game is a slow burn for sure but just keeps getting better. I really enjoy the party members in this game. At first they all fake across as super generic. But they actually have agency in the story and in their lives. I actually yelped “no, don’t do that!” when Harrim flattened the anvil in Trobold. It’s sliding up to Pillars and my favorite game in this style.

This is a relief to hear, because after my first camp with the guys handed to me I was aghast at how one-dimensional and edgy the characters were. Jaethal the super cool undead vampire elf scythe lady was the most obnoxious, but noble warrior woman and nihilist dwarf were very much contenders. Despite absolutely loving IE games and more recently Pillars of Eternity, this game is really tough to get into for me. I don't know if its because the original IE games are steeped in nostalgia and Forgotten Realms stuff and that the Pillars world is so painstakingly thought out, but the absolute kitchen-sink-anything-goes similar to but legally distinct from the realms Pathfinder world is really not engaging me.

I rolled a dwarven sorcerer, hopefully I am not going to be mired in a trap build as I have heard this game can be brutally unforgiving.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

JamMasterJim posted:

So in Wrath of Righteous, Tricksters get 4 levels of Sneak attack progression that stack with sneak attack class progress from standard class and mirror image ability a few times per rest. Also, their stealth in combat can work like greater invisibility.
Even Vanilla fighter can now do poo poo like a Sword Saint.

Honestly, the most absurd Trickster ability for me was the Arcana one. Or, for those without the alpha, the ability that states "for every weapon/armor with an enhancement bonus you identify, increase that bonus by 1." I guess they'll program copies of every weapon/armor in the game, just with the bonus incremented upwards?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

mitochondritom posted:

This is a relief to hear, because after my first camp with the guys handed to me I was aghast at how one-dimensional and edgy the characters were. Jaethal the super cool undead vampire elf scythe lady was the most obnoxious, but noble warrior woman and nihilist dwarf were very much contenders. Despite absolutely loving IE games and more recently Pillars of Eternity, this game is really tough to get into for me. I don't know if its because the original IE games are steeped in nostalgia and Forgotten Realms stuff and that the Pillars world is so painstakingly thought out, but the absolute kitchen-sink-anything-goes similar to but legally distinct from the realms Pathfinder world is really not engaging me.

I rolled a dwarven sorcerer, hopefully I am not going to be mired in a trap build as I have heard this game can be brutally unforgiving.

Jaethal isn't cool, she's a monster. Nihilist dwarf gets his faith tested. Valerie is a stuck up brat going through a rebellious phase (they're all rebels as a common theme but she has the most superficial teen angst with it). Chapter 2's companions are generally more popular, I think.

I didn't care for PoE's cast (or world, or anything) at all.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

sassassin posted:

I didn't care for PoE's cast (or world, or anything) at all.

Fair enough, it's definitely a polarising game, at least it seems so from what I've read over the internet. I just got sucked into it all in a way that Pathfinder hasn't done for me, which is odd because I've actually played Pathfinder in a pnp setting and found it twee and bucolic then too. I wish I could properly articulate why I love Pillars of Eternity and the Infinity Engine games so much, but bounce hard of almost all other fantasy settings (Divinity also), I just can't quite put my finger on it myself.

Jaethal at face value is an obnoxious character. Especially when you cant heal her properly and she has an array of bewildering abilities. Is the inquisitor a sort of fighter / cleric hybrid class?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I'm not so high on the Kingmaker companions. Their quests and developments are absurdly binary at times.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Jubilost is great.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Vargs posted:

Jubilost is great.

This is accurate.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

Jaethal at face value is an obnoxious character. Especially when you cant heal her properly and she has an array of bewildering abilities. Is the inquisitor a sort of fighter / cleric hybrid class?

Kind of, yeah. The free teamwork feats and Judgements (basically buffs for important fights) make them better in combat than clerics and the spells they get are generally geared to self-buffs or healing themselves.

Healing Jaethal becomes much easier as the game goes on. Outside of Act I its not that expensive to buy a wand or some scrolls that she can use to heal with. The inconvenience involved with her is far outweighed by the benefits to being undead. She's flat out immune to almost all of the nastiest effects in the game which is huge and why I advocate pivoting her a tank build. It's so nice to just not give a poo poo about stuff like level or ability drain.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 3, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Inquisitors are like Kineticists in that they throw a lot of buttons at you right away that you need to figure out before you can realise they're no more complicated than most other classes. Probably less complicated than vancian casters, but everyone's used to those.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So no, I did not assemble these (they're from the usual places), but here's a listing of some mythic path stuff that's currently in this build. A fair bit of it is inaccessible by default too, given you'll only just reach your mythic path at the end of the alpha and some of these don't come online until a rank or two later. There's obviously a lot missing, but it's a pretty good glimpse at just how absurd things are going to get. Stuffed under spoilers for those who want the abilities to be a complete surprise.

Trickster:

You'll ultimately get eight Rank 1, four Rank 2, and two Rank 3 (apparently there's only Nature 3 in this build) abilities of your choice, along with aforementioned silly amounts of sneak attack, and whatever other high level stuff is eventually baked in.

Demon:

You apparently will get up to 7 of these, and there are almost certainly some number missing (you'll note basically every big name demon type isn't here). Entering Demon path gets you Demonic Rage, which is similar to normal Rage, but doesn't stop spellcasting or lower AC, and doesn't fatigue you. Not sure if there's a usage per day limitation on it or not.

Azata:
The Superpowers tab under mythic abilities is likely Azata-specific abilities, given that they all reference that and are generally much stronger than the normal mythic abilities - just currently added to the general pool for whatever reason. Apparently the mythic path itself currently has 0 features shown, which kind of lends credence to that.

By the Superpowers tab, I mean these:

Lich:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm curious as to how the Witch class works in wrath of the righteous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Kind of wondering how, if at all Brimorak will interact with Kineticists. Also one of the Azlata ones, which is currently a general ability, seems like it would be perfect to fix that issues with Cavaliers getting all these teamwork feats but no good way to share them with their mount/friends.

Lich seems like it could be interesting to, but unless you can make your whole party undead I am not sure how viable it will be.