Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ive seen comments about difficulty but is the game

:krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Aces High posted:

Boss I've had the most issue with is Max, mainly because I can't seem to grapple him and his grapples do a LOT of damage.

I guess it's the same issue as the wrestler guy is SoR2 and I never had a solid strategy for him either :shrug:

Here's how to beat Max:

-He can't be grappled, stop trying.
-Tackles don't hit you if you're directly above or below him, period.
-If he's shaking he's gonna grab you. Start mashing both directions and buttons. You need both, just one won't do it unless you have turbo on your fingers.
-If he's clasping his hands he's gonna do his spin. Before he powers up you can just walk away a little and then come back. Afterward you have to respect it a bit more, he does about four spins. Same concept tho.

It's absolutely nothing like Abadede because Max has no combo breakers. You just have to get a short combo (three-four hits tops or a dash attack) and then either neutral special or go to a safespot. I chunked him for like 20% of his life on multiple passes once I knew what I was doing, even on Mania. Specialing through his attacks makes it entirely possible to wreck him immediately.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I started using Floyd, and I agree with whoever said he'd be great in co-op. I'm coming from Blaze and Floyd's grab reach is insane, and it feels like I'm doing way more damage with way less effort. That said, he doesn't quite have Blaze's mobility options, and while it's cool that he can goomba stomp his way across the room it takes way more fuel to get half the distance Blaze does. I'm poo poo wrecking regular goons, but anything that doesn't like to be grabbed (bosses, shield cops) and/or has moves I need to dodge on a dime (again, bosses) is putting it straight up my rear end

I would totally use him as crowd control in multiplayer, but by himself I just miss bouncing across the screen with Blaze. I am also bad at the game though

Floyd's dash attack is a bonkers poke so I think the key is to use that a lot to establish screen dominance. That + his neutral special seems to be how he gets his damage when the enemy is superarmored.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I have tossed Floyd aside in favor of Adam, who I still don't find as fun as Blaze but eh, he's pretty good

also just discovered you can change what your food looks like from the options menu

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I gotta get good at neutral jumping, it feels like such a counterintuitive way to avoid damage but I know it's the key to pro play

E; the real pro play is bouncing around like a maniac as Cherry and smashing fools with your guitar

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

I gotta get good at neutral jumping, it feels like such a counterintuitive way to avoid damage but I know it's the key to pro play

E; the real pro play is bouncing around like a maniac as Cherry and smashing fools with your guitar

How do you do this neutral jumping thing? Maybe I need to see a video but are people just hitting jump when an attack is coming their way? Is it due to i frames?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
electricity lingering as long as it does, makes me yell at video games

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It was nice playing this as part of Gamepass, but I'm probably gonna buy it on Steam tonight. I'm on/off cat sitting for someone out of town (and stuck out of town due to quarantine), and their internet isn't so hot.

-If the ping is too high, the game won't launch and suggests I enable offline mode (I need to find that setting)
-Can't play with friends who bought on Steam
-The missing video options are no big deal
-If you alt-tab too long (like say a cat hops up on your laptop keyboard and demands pets, which you provide because that's why you're over there for a few hours) the game just closes itself when you tab back.

After Axel provided me no satisfaction and only slow movement, I swapped to SoR1 Alex and have been beating the poo poo out of Hardest. It's still not magically easier and he lacks all of the new features and kickass specials, but a few knuckle taps and be obliterates lots of the more annoying mooks that have low HP pools.

I hope the save file can just be copied over. Otherwise, that's 5-6 hours of unlocks and the story mode I'll have to redo.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Alan Smithee posted:

ive seen comments about difficulty but is the game

:krad:

it absolutely is!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Probably mentioned itt but how the hell do you counter jump attacks from enemies

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Alan Smithee posted:

Probably mentioned itt but how the hell do you counter jump attacks from enemies

So far the best way I have found is your neutral special move

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alan Smithee posted:

Not sure if other characters have the same deal but Blaze's air special crushes through jump attacks. I just got through Old Pier on Mania and it was necessary to survive some of the absolutely insane Ruby/Garnet packs there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Old pier is brutal on hard solo what the gently caress

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well, save files look the same in a text or hex editor, but the Steam version doesn't recognize the WinStore version. Back to having nothing is what I am.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

This game is loving unforgiving with those turkeys

It’s not just use it or lose it. It’s the loving not knowing if you’ll even be able to reach it during a fight

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Alan Smithee posted:

This game is loving unforgiving with those turkeys

It’s not just use it or lose it. It’s the loving not knowing if you’ll even be able to reach it during a fight

I'm having grief on Old Pier as well because of this. Stop tasering me you bastard, I'm trying to eat something

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Turkey management is key.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Unlocked Adam and he feels so damned good to play. I tried Blaze but the temptation to spam her overhead is pretty strong with me which gets me into trouble, and I love being able to dash around like a nimble boxer with Adam. Floyd loving owns too.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Floyd is my character of choice at the moment. Amazing crowd control. His lack of mobility means he's a sitting duck for enemies with armour until you get used to them though.

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider

Lunatic Sledge posted:

also just discovered you can change what your food looks like from the options menu
I'm runnin with Pizza and Ramen.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My SOR squad are all vegetarian.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Lunatic Sledge posted:

electricity lingering as long as it does, makes me yell at video games

It genuinely looks like it has ended, there's a frame or two of nothing and then yep, it's still there.

Also getting a sword hurled into your spine from offscreen sucks. Particularly when the level the broadsword appears in is the same dark grey colour pallette.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

people who can go gently caress themselves:

Goro

those biker bbw

donovan. His pants is sagging to keep up with the times and now he can catch poo poo you throw at him

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
people who also can go gently caress themselves:

whoever came up with that part of the airplane level where you've got to inch around that big table and it's a bunch of those jumping ladies and a guy with a gun and it's like some kind of insanely frustrating Thermopylae.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Disgusting Coward posted:

people who also can go gently caress themselves:

whoever came up with that part of the airplane level where you've got to inch around that big table and it's a bunch of those jumping ladies and a guy with a gun and it's like some kind of insanely frustrating Thermopylae.

it can go both ways. If you lure the ladies to the west side of the table they won't really do the jump kick and you can kinda break the gun guy's line of fire if you corral him around the table from the top

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm halfway through Mania now and every screen is filled with enemy comps that are like "how the hell is it even possible to beat this." It's awesome.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

in all seriousness is Goro supposed to be a meta commentary on karate being easily defeated with grapples

yes I know that's chinatown but does that gi look chinese to you

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

You know who can't gently caress themselves? Those hapless lovely robots that I don't think have done any damage to me during any playthrough. They're kind of endearingly pathetic and they are less of a threat than your average Galsia.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

You know who can't gently caress themselves? Those hapless lovely robots that I don't think have done any damage to me during any playthrough. They're kind of endearingly pathetic and they are less of a threat than your average Galsia.

The ones with the ground slam and lead pipes? Because I've got some news about them on Hardest/Mania...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

uh the magneto fuckers?

how do you avoid that attack anyway

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Not sure if other characters have the same deal but Blaze's air special crushes through jump attacks. I just got through Old Pier on Mania and it was necessary to survive some of the absolutely insane Ruby/Garnet packs there.

i tried it out and it never countered once. Honestly Blaze's standard jump kick seemed to have more luck. Unlessyou mean Y/triangle special cuz im thinking of fwd fwd attack

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The ones with the ground slam and lead pipes? Because I've got some news about them on Hardest/Mania...

I haven't played much Mania but their attack patterns are so predictable and easy to wreck, maybe they're harder when they're in a huge crowd?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I haven't played much Mania but their attack patterns are so predictable and easy to wreck, maybe they're harder when they're in a huge crowd?

Or when there are multiple of them.

But my "gently caress you" enemy, in addition to the biker women, is the assholes who keep their hands in their pockets, especially the Iron Fist ones that do the triple spin kicks. I have a hard time getting in on them in any screen where I can't pin them against a wall, and the loving ship has a whole hallway full of them from both sides where there's no Z-axis so you just get railed because it's not like you can juke the attacks.

gently caress those guys.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

i tried it out and it never countered once. Honestly Blaze's standard jump kick seemed to have more luck. Unlessyou mean Y/triangle special cuz im thinking of fwd fwd attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktZwKoFDTRA

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tech

https://twitter.com/nevbamshew/status/1256758446612819968?s=09

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

drat. Daaaaaamn.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

God drat I love this game.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Why do they have male voices?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Zaodai posted:

Or when there are multiple of them.

But my "gently caress you" enemy, in addition to the biker women, is the assholes who keep their hands in their pockets, especially the Iron Fist ones that do the triple spin kicks. I have a hard time getting in on them in any screen where I can't pin them against a wall, and the loving ship has a whole hallway full of them from both sides where there's no Z-axis so you just get railed because it's not like you can juke the attacks.

gently caress those guys.

I honestly can’t hate the KEVIN-Dillon-Francis cuz as far as new criminal goon design goes, it Fits in with the classic streets thugs perfectly

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Holy poo poo, I just beat Chinatown on Mania. That was basically the most insane act of gaming in my life. Every single screen has at least one thing that can instantly drop you, sometimes more than one! Very humbling to put on possibly the greatest performance of my beatemup career and only hit C rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gently caress i need to get gud