Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I have a bowl lift 600 and it feels more robust than most of their home styled mixers from what I’ve seen. I feel like bowl lift is almost as key as better gears though, the pin on the tilt-head always wobbled around a bunch on me mixing stiffer doughs or at higher speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Hauki posted:

I have a bowl lift 600 and it feels more robust than most of their home styled mixers from what I’ve seen. I feel like bowl lift is almost as key as better gears though, the pin on the tilt-head always wobbled around a bunch on me mixing stiffer doughs or at higher speeds.

It's because they're fundamentally different in how they mix. For kneading the bowl-lift models can use a kneading screw that presses down into the base of the bowl, which re-creates the 'kneading by hand' motion more realistically. Their motors and attachments are designed to handle the greater pressure of this motion so yeah, as a whole they're more robust by necessity. The home models with tilt-heads use dough hooks that press against the side of the bowl, so they don't apply as much pressure as the bowl lift ones and their gears are organized in a way that will ruin them if you try to use a screw hook because it will apply pressure in a direction they aren't designed for.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I prefer tighter seals to easier access. I called to verify they were issuing day passes to the public, and am going to head up there, shortly. I wish I had a chest freezer. I can’t go through a case of anything by myself. I guess I’ll just get some containers.

On another note, I griped earlier in this thread about the KitchenAid Pro 5 I bought. Underpowered, shakes like an earthquake above speed two, etc. How do people like the Professional 600? I bought one. It’s apparently been on my porch since Friday. Amazon hosed up the color, and now all the other colors are “unavailable,” but I paid $319 for it instead of the $479 I paid for the Pro 5.

I just unpacked it, and haven’t had a chance to make anything with it. I’m just curious what the general opinion of the Professional 600 is. It seems like a no-brainer for $319, unless there’s some known terrible problem with it. I read KitchenAid cut out the bullshit and went back to all-metal gears, and that’s the main thing I think of when I think of problems with mixers.

I got my pro 600 6ish years ago and love it. Get a beater blade for it. It's loud and squeaky, but does an immaculate job of scraping the sides so you don't have to.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Bea...88523746&sr=8-5

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yeah, Cambros average $2-12/unit at the local supply ranging from 1qt up to 22qt. Home use is mainly going to be 2 and 4qt units which were $3-4/each with lids $2-3/each and 2-4qt units have interchange lids.

Don’t make poo poo up like this just to get me to go into the store. Those are practically free compared to the bulk storage options available through, say, BB&B or even Costco.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Lawnie posted:

Don’t make poo poo up like this just to get me to go into the store. Those are practically free compared to the bulk storage options available through, say, BB&B or even Costco.

Webstaurantstore.com sells 2Qt cambros for $4 and their prices tend to be a touch inflated compared to retail/wholesalers.

We have a restaurant depot in DC that's open to the public (or rather, was open). Their business model is essentially "the entire Winco / Trimark-Adams Burch catalog jammed into a tiny lovely warehouse." My prices are based off that store. Yes it's ridiculous and if it doesn't survive COVID it will be a great loss.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I prefer tighter seals to easier access. I called to verify they were issuing day passes to the public, and am going to head up there, shortly. I wish I had a chest freezer. I can’t go through a case of anything by myself. I guess I’ll just get some containers.

On another note, I griped earlier in this thread about the KitchenAid Pro 5 I bought. Underpowered, shakes like an earthquake above speed two, etc. How do people like the Professional 600? I bought one. It’s apparently been on my porch since Friday. Amazon hosed up the color, and now all the other colors are “unavailable,” but I paid $319 for it instead of the $479 I paid for the Pro 5.

I just unpacked it, and haven’t had a chance to make anything with it. I’m just curious what the general opinion of the Professional 600 is. It seems like a no-brainer for $319, unless there’s some known terrible problem with it. I read KitchenAid cut out the bullshit and went back to all-metal gears, and that’s the main thing I think of when I think of problems with mixers.

You can usually get a brand new Professional 600 on eBay for $250.

I didn’t find this out until after I bought ours.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

We have a restaurant depot in DC that's open to the public (or rather, was open). Their business model is essentially "the entire Winco / Trimark-Adams Burch catalog jammed into a tiny lovely warehouse." My prices are based off that store. Yes it's ridiculous and if it doesn't survive COVID it will be a great loss.

Hold up, where is/was this?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
There are 3 RDs in the DC area, each of varying quality. I've only shopped at Eisenhower Ave and the MD one.

e: I hope this doesn't come off as a "let them eat cake" but if you have a legal entity for a corporation / LLC for really any purpose, you can get a card. When I did it it was submit paperwork online, take application and your articles of organization to the front desk on your first trip (go during a slow time to make this easy) and presto, they'll give you 2 cards no problem.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Restaurant Depot is open to the public during the pandemic. You don’t need to pretend to be a retailer.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Most of the restaurant supply stores here are open to the public anyway, like they might ask you if you have a card for discounts or tracking purposes or whatever but you can just say no and they’ll still ring you up.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Hed posted:

There are 3 RDs in the DC area, each of varying quality. I've only shopped at Eisenhower Ave and the MD one.

e: I hope this doesn't come off as a "let them eat cake" but if you have a legal entity for a corporation / LLC for really any purpose, you can get a card. When I did it it was submit paperwork online, take application and your articles of organization to the front desk on your first trip (go during a slow time to make this easy) and presto, they'll give you 2 cards no problem.

you ate my cat posted:

Hold up, where is/was this?

Best Kitchen Supply in the Union Market warehouses. It's on the southernmost strip left of the center entrance.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

xtal posted:

I use a Pro 600 and the price is the only thing I don't like about it, so for a discount, it's perfect. Although, I find it to be a bit of a pain in the rear end to get the bowl to lock in. But that's because it needs to be very secure for the 575 watt motor. When you turn it on max you can feel a breeze across the room.

Doom Rooster posted:

I got my pro 600 6ish years ago and love it. Get a beater blade for it. It's loud and squeaky, but does an immaculate job of scraping the sides so you don't have to.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Bea...88523746&sr=8-5

I’m glad to hear good reviews for the 600. The beater blade is a good idea. I was thinking about it as I unpacked the machine, earlier.

Lawnie posted:

If it makes you feel better, the store in Troy, MI had exactly one three-pack of the four-quart model with lids. The rest was a la carte, and there wasn’t much of it. There were a few six- and eight-quart squares with plenty of lids, and a dozen or two dozen round ones in four+ quarts. I paid $26 for the three-pack. To buy the six-quart squares with lids would have run about $14/each. I was really tempted to go for the round ones, as they were both more plentiful and cheaper, but I had my heart set on squares.

I. M. Gei posted:

You can usually get a brand new Professional 600 on eBay for $250.

I didn’t find this out until after I bought ours.

Really? That cheap? That is shockingly affordable. I initially paid $479+tax for the Pro 5, but it came off really poorly in comparison to the 1960s model I own (but which is in someone else’s garage in another state), so I decided to turn to Amazon. I figured the extended Amazon shipping times didn’t matter since I already had a usable machine in my kitchen. I guess I could do the same thing, again, waiting for one to arrive from eBay then returning this one to Amazon. I probably won’t do that for $60, though. That feels like a lovely jerking around of the Amazon seller.

Hed posted:

I wondered about that. I have a couple of LLCs, but I didn’t know if Restaurant Depot would bother questioning their purposes, since they don’t sound like anything food-related.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah they don’t care. Mine sound nothing like good service and they never asked or cared.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Really? That cheap? That is shockingly affordable. I initially paid $479+tax for the Pro 5, but it came off really poorly in comparison to the 1960s model I own (but which is in someone else’s garage in another state), so I decided to turn to Amazon. I figured the extended Amazon shipping times didn’t matter since I already had a usable machine in my kitchen. I guess I could do the same thing, again, waiting for one to arrive from eBay then returning this one to Amazon. I probably won’t do that for $60, though. That feels like a lovely jerking around of the Amazon seller.

There's a difference between the kitchenaid Pro line and the Professional line.
Pro is a DC 1.3 HP motor and the Professional is an AC 575(?)w motor. Supposedly the motor on the Professional line is loud and has problems with heavy dough/batter.

The Pro line is the same as the small Commercial except for the power cord. (I did a ton of research when replacing my 70s tilt head)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Slate Slabrock posted:

Pro is a DC 1.3 HP motor and the Professional is an AC 575(?)w motor. Supposedly the motor on the Professional line is loud and has problems with heavy dough/batter.

The Pro line is the same as the small Commercial except for the power cord. (I did a ton of research when replacing my 70s tilt head)

Oh, thanks for clarifying that!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Slate Slabrock posted:

The Pro 5+ I have is five quarts and 450 watts. The Professional 600 I just opened is six quarts and 575 watts. The Pro 5+ has both “Pro 5” and “Professional 500” branding on the box. It’s frustrating how manufacturers work to muddy the waters.

I spun it up briefly, and the noise is the same as any comparable mixer without a load on the motor. We’ll see how it sounds when I make the first batch of dough with it.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I hate my potato masher. It’s old and plastic and lovely. Should I just bin it and get a ricer, or is there any other reason for me to have a masher? Are there any good mashers?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I hate my potato masher. It’s old and plastic and lovely. Should I just bin it and get a ricer, or is there any other reason for me to have a masher? Are there any good mashers?

Ricers are kind of a pain to use (they never hold as much as it looks like they should, so the process takes longer than I anticipate) but IMO they make the best mashed potatoes. Of course, if you like the occasional lump you get from hand mashed potatoes, then don't do it, but the ricer makes it easy to get a consistent texture, and I never worry about overworking them like I do just using a mixer.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I use the bottom of an empty beer bottle to mash potatoes.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I berate and yell at my potatoes until their self confidence collapses and then I have pomme puree to die for.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

A ricer is bulky and not very versatile, so I would stick with a masher.

I don't use this one, but it's probably good: https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Smooth-Potato-Masher/dp/B00004OCL9

I feel like all of my kitchen gadgets have gradually become OXO brand. I would trust them. They also make a completely stainless steel one which would probably last longer, since this one could have the plastic break off.

xtal fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 5, 2020

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Don't get a potato ricer, get a food mill.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

If you have a food processor aren't there attachments for potatoes?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you have a food processor aren't there attachments for potatoes?
You can certainly rice potatoes in a food processor, but you have to be careful. Overwork the potatoes and you've made glue.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I have the OXO food mill and it is great. I love it for a ton of things, but trying to rice potatoes in it was absolutely miserable the 3 times I did it. Huge pain, and it overworked them. I got the OXO ricer and never looked back.

I use my potato masher for stuff other than mashing potatoes though. It gives the best texture to tomato sauces for example.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

I have the OXO food mill and it is great. I love it for a ton of things, but trying to rice potatoes in it was absolutely miserable the 3 times I did it. Huge pain, and it overworked them. I got the OXO ricer and never looked back.

I use my potato masher for stuff other than mashing potatoes though. It gives the best texture to tomato sauces for example.
What was the problem with potatoes in the OXO food mill?

But yeah, I use an old traditional potato masher all the time, just usually not for making mashed potatoes. It's what I use for refried beans, for example.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I use my masher for two main things: mashing avocados for making guacamole and to press down my big turner for making smash burgers. I think they are handy to have around for those.

I rice mashed potatoes but FGR is right it takes longer than you think.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Probably better to use a food mill but noone has mentioned gnocchi yet so I'll be the goon to tell you to buy a ricer so you can more easily make gnocchi every day of your life.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I was actually making gnocchi when I made that post, so that’s good to know!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

VelociBacon posted:

Probably better to use a food mill but noone has mentioned gnocchi yet so I'll be the goon to tell you to buy a ricer so you can more easily make gnocchi every day of your life.

I made gnocchi at work once and you are describing hell

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

SubG posted:

What was the problem with potatoes in the OXO food mill?

But yeah, I use an old traditional potato masher all the time, just usually not for making mashed potatoes. It's what I use for refried beans, for example.

I tried all 3 different grate sizes, and it just did not want to actually push potatoes through until it had thoroughly churned them into mush, with a lot of effort. A ricer pushes out light, fluffy strands of potato. The food mill made little lines of mashed potatoes.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Love mine!

I've used it once or twice for actually mashing potatoes. I use it weekly to either mash bananas for baking or mashing cooked beans for quesadillas.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

I tried all 3 different grate sizes, and it just did not want to actually push potatoes through until it had thoroughly churned them into mush, with a lot of effort. A ricer pushes out light, fluffy strands of potato. The food mill made little lines of mashed potatoes.
Huh. Sounds like the OXO food mill sucks. I've got some no-name French food service food mill and the coarse disk gives me exactly what I want out of traditional mashed potatoes, and the fine gives a super smooth pommes purée texture.

I can't even imagine what's going on where you've got a food mill that's having trouble pushing potatoes through. Like it should be like you cook the potatoes, drain them, dump them in the hopper, two or three turns and boom you're done, add your butter, dairy, whatever, mix, serve.

If boiled potatoes are too tough for it, how the gently caress does it handle literally anything else? Like if you're trying to purée something thicker/starchier, or are using it to deseed/deskin tomatoes, berries, or whatever.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

SubG posted:

Huh. Sounds like the OXO food mill sucks. I've got some no-name French food service food mill and the coarse disk gives me exactly what I want out of traditional mashed potatoes, and the fine gives a super smooth pommes purée texture.

I can't even imagine what's going on where you've got a food mill that's having trouble pushing potatoes through. Like it should be like you cook the potatoes, drain them, dump them in the hopper, two or three turns and boom you're done, add your butter, dairy, whatever, mix, serve.

If boiled potatoes are too tough for it, how the gently caress does it handle literally anything else? Like if you're trying to purée something thicker/starchier, or are using it to deseed/deskin tomatoes, berries, or whatever.

It works great on tomatoes, fruits, everything else I throw at it. It gives me mashed potatoes, which is not what I want. I want riced potatoes for gnocchi, which is what the discussion was about.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

It works great on tomatoes, fruits, everything else I throw at it. It gives me mashed potatoes, which is not what I want. I want riced potatoes for gnocchi, which is what the discussion was about.
Yeah, if you put potatoes through a food mill you ought to get riced potatoes. I have no idea how hosed up the OXO has to be that it churns them to mush and requires a bunch of effort to do it. Like the angle of the blade is just completely hosed or something? Anyway, good information. I've had the one I'm using for like 20 years and I've been thinking about replacing it and it sounds like the OXO should be avoided.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I can confirm the oxo has a pretty weak spring holding down the plate.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yeah it pastes then pushes although I've never tried the largest grate size with potatoes

Whats a good ricer? Might as well get one for potato doughs with the above revelations

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Whats a good ricer? Might as well get one for potato doughs with the above revelations

chef'n fresh force has recommendations behind it

i think i have one but i've never used it

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

deimos posted:

I can confirm the oxo has a pretty weak spring holding down the plate.
Maybe that's it? Watching a youtube video of someone assembling the OXO and he just uses his fingertips and that's not something you could do with any food mill I've used. The one I have has a spring strong enough that assembling the food mill is like setting a bear trap. The older mid-20th Century one I grew up with didn't have a spring at all, the rotating assembly was bolted onto the disk. Which makes it a huge pain to change disks but means there's no slack or give at all.

The angle between the rotating blade and the disk seems to be narrower on the OXO as well--the blade itself looks flatter, and the disks are pitched up toward the blade way more than in the food mills I've used (the old, old ones are just flat metal disks with holes machined in them, the one I'm using now is slightly tented, but not as much as the OXO disks seem to be in the product photos).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Yeah I have never liked my oxo and have been meaning to replace it. RIP my 70s plastic one it replaced that I broke.