Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
SHMUD

Tinkersons pushes one past the editors again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side
wqN2TCTl.jpg
Wasted mirage

sxTiMeAl.jpg
“Yes! That’s right! The answer is ‘Wisconsin’! Another 50 points for God, and … uh-oh, looks like Norman, our current champion, hasn’t even scored yet.”

Pickles

Zits

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 25, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Green Intern posted:

But what happens if the Saxon leader decides he’d like to go take “Arthur’s” head anyway?

As we'll see tomorrow, aside from ruining the fleet, part of the point of Val's firebombers is to force the Saxons into disarray so they won't want to risk landing on the side they think is defended. But I suppose if they did, those couple of guys would just run away and Arthur would have to come up with a new plan to engage the Saxons somewhere else. The invaders would still be down their boats and a bunch of supplies so that would still be a partial victory.

Prince Valiant

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I would absolutely buy the pig shirt.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Foxtrot

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Professor Wayne posted:

sxTiMeAl.jpg
“Yes! That’s right! The answer is ‘Wisconsin’! Another 50 points for God, and … uh-oh, looks like Norman, our current champion, hasn’t even scored yet.”

Oh, I recall this one from the collection books! Gary said that he actually thought about giving Norman some points, but it sounded too silly for a human to edge one in past omnipotence.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 25, 2022

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Zip

Rip

Dick

Duck

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

What's annoying about this week of Funky Winkerbean is that Les barely saying anything feels like it's a set-up for him to go on a rant about how the unwashed masses can't appreciate the artistic beauty of Cancerwife's story, as well as how Hollywood is filled with greedy assholes who only care about making money off his wife's story. And then Les will go home, content with the knowledge that he did all he could with the project but at least his wife's legacy is protected.

Batiuk just wasted all of our time with this story where absolutely nothing happened at all.

Some Guy TT posted:

As super obvious as that punchline was it still really got to me.

This was a gross punchline, and I think it would've been fine if you just skipped this one.

Medenmath posted:

As we'll see tomorrow, aside from ruining the fleet, part of the point of Val's firebombers is to force the Saxons into disarray so they won't want to risk landing on the side they think is defended. But I suppose if they did, those couple of guys would just run away and Arthur would have to come up with a new plan to engage the Saxons somewhere else. The invaders would still be down their boats and a bunch of supplies so that would still be a partial victory.

Prince Valiant

Goddamn, Audrey's expression on the last panel is a look that says "I will loving end you" :black101:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Adam

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I refuse to rise to the boomerisms anymore, but I do "like" how "nobody gets killed" is matter-of-factly presented on the same level as the usual talking points like "everyone gets a trophy" or depicting soccer players as feeble and indecisive compared to the aggressive football player. I also like that the "little kid drawing" style is just barely distinguishable from what One Big Happy just looks like day to day.

quote:

Foob

I furthermore like that this is actually a pretty accurate and not at all strawmanned description of The Fly.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

One of many bombshells from the 2012 TCJ interview with Alison Bechdel.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bechdel is now cancelled.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What happened to Howard the Duck? After a couple "episodes" that mostly revolved around sardonic social commentary, the art quality took a nosedive and it became nothing but puns.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I finally figured out what felt slightly off about mämmilä, everyone's faces and expressions are weirdly close to winkerbean. They have that same resting smug face.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Wolverine's losing his healing factor.

Andertoons

:lol:

Flash Gordon

That seems a bit sudden.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

like even worse pneumonia caused by a virus!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

What's annoying about this week of Funky Winkerbean is that Les barely saying anything feels like it's a set-up for him to go on a rant about how the unwashed masses can't appreciate the artistic beauty of Cancerwife's story, as well as how Hollywood is filled with greedy assholes who only care about making money off his wife's story. And then Les will go home, content with the knowledge that he did all he could with the project but at least his wife's legacy is protected.

Like, Les doesn't want the movie made and will be a sullen dick to anybody who wants to make the movie, but he also regards it as a masterpiece and look down his nose on anyone who doesn't want to make the movie. Either way he wins because he gets to be a miserable martyred rear end in a top hat!

:ohdear:

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guest-written by Lynn Johnson's son

(Seriously loving brutal)

Crowetron posted:

I would absolutely buy the pig shirt.

It's not an exact match, but this one's close and pretty stylish

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tag urself

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (September 24, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 24, 1998)

Garfield Classic (September 24, 1988)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 24, 1998)

What show are they talking about?

e: To clarify I'm familiar with Wile E Coyote, I'm talking about this dead(?) kid.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
South Park, Kenny dies every episode the first couple seasons

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

In terms of dark secrets role models have that's pretty excusable :)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set thinks he's talking to you.

Working Daze doesn't make sense.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix gets to the point.

Cul De Sac is pretty accurate.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Bloom County
August 15th & 16th, 1981

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

riderchop posted:

South Park, Kenny dies every episode the first couple seasons

I'm concerned that Arlo would let his son watch that junk. Most of what I know about it is that it promoted this attitude of "caring about things is uncool" and this pro-republican shittiness.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm concerned that Arlo would let his son watch that junk. Most of what I know about it is that it promoted this attitude of "caring about things is uncool" and this pro-republican shittiness.

It's a really funny cartoon (or at least it was, I haven't actually watched it in ten or fifteen years) but you'd be insane to take it too seriously, or pull any morality or life lessons from it. Enjoy the show if the humor works for you but beware of its most ardent fans. You know, like Archer, or Rick and Morty, or even Deadpool.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hwurmp posted:

tag urself
I'm the one-legged man taking a selfie after an rear end-kicking contest.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

StrixNebulosa posted:

its not a real child

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Gene turned out alright

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

That must be very early south park back when it was just wholesome poo poo jokes and kids cussing before every episode became a political screed

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Scary Go Round: The Great Unboxing

... Tune in tomorrow for the thrilling conclusion!

Modesty Blaise

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not sure how old Gene is, but I watched South Park from its start when I was in high school, and I turned out okay (other than posting here, of course). They definitely stopped doing the killing Kenny every episode gimmick pretty early on (a search says they stopped after season 5, but still do it once in awhile). They've definitely gotten more political, but in a mean-spirited, nihilistic way, and it's really just not terribly funny in 2020.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It was funny at first, but since it turns out that sarcastic racism is actually just more easily deniable racism, it did far far more harm than good

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

The Bloop posted:

It was funny at first, but since it turns out that sarcastic racism is actually just more easily deniable racism, it did far far more harm than good

Yeah I blame the whole 'Cartman worships Hitler and hates the jews ironically' thing for a rise in neo-nazi recruitment in the 2010s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
"South Park Republican" is a term for a reason, and I'd tie its cohort effects pretty directly to the alt-right.