Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
So it seems like the Trump admin is going all in with the Wuhan lab origin bullshit:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/03/mike-pompeo-donald-trump-coronavirus-chinese-laboratory

quote:

Secretary of state Mike Pompeo claimed on Sunday there is “enormous evidence” the coronavirus outbreak originated in a Chinese laboratory – but did not provide any of the alleged evidence.

quote:

At one point, the secretary of state appeared confused over whether he was claiming the Sars-CoV-2 virus (which causes the Covid-19 disease) was deliberately engineered or escaped as the result of a lab accident.

“Look, the best experts so far seem to think it was manmade. I have no reason to disbelieve that at this point,” he said.

But when he was reminded that US intelligence had issued a formal statement noting the opposite – that the scientific consensus was that the virus was not manmade or genetically modified – Pompeo replied: “That’s right. I agree with that.”
These people are infuriatingly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Seriously - show me some sources for medical science saying it might mutate too fast for a single dose vaccine.

SARS-CoV-2 might be mutating faster than previously thought - Chinese study (preprint) finds 19 new mutations.

That's not to say that mutation is going to make a single-dose vaccine impossible, but like many other aspects of the virus there's still a huge amount of uncertainty about it's mutation rate (and the consequences of slow or fast mutation).

Heck, if we can't get it under control and immunity is relatively short-lived a decent mutation rate might actually be desirable - distancing and isolation of symptomatic individuals can favor less virulent strains that cause more asymptomatic infections. That's not something that can be planned around, of course.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 3, 2020

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

So it seems like the Trump admin is going all in with the Wuhan lab origin bullshit:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/03/mike-pompeo-donald-trump-coronavirus-chinese-laboratory

They're going with the totally unprovable "this escaped from a Chinese lab but it wasn't modified there, they just had it and it got out" angle.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

LeeMajors posted:

The CDC website currently has 64k US deaths tallied so I have no idea what this loving idiot is talking about.

That's a good example of the conscious and deliberate disinfo campaign being waged

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Uglycat posted:

... it was all an utter waste of time. Sorry of the derail.

This is an accurate summation of the entire human history of atheists debating religious folks

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Uglycat posted:

Sorry of the derail.

I enjoyed it. Thanks.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tenasscity posted:

This might be the wrong place to ask this and if so, I apologize. Do you know if the new unemployment rules apply if you're under employed? I'm working 48 hours a week but only pulling in about $300 due to contract bullshittery.

stillvisions posted:

I had scarlet fever as a kid and I feel like my parents missed out on a golden opportunity to read me that book or give it to me to read.

When I have to fill out a health history for a new doctor that one often gets a double-take.

Still a great book.

I never even considered putting it down on my medical history. I'd get strep throat like 3-4 times a year minimum, and it progressed to scarlet fever twice I think? I have so much drat poo poo in my history already, I never even considered adding something like that.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Almost 70,000 dead and I see people walking around like it is no big deal. I understand that this isn't anything new to this thread, but I am having such a hard time wrapping my brain around this. Do they not know it's that hight? Do they still think it's only like 2,000? Boggles my mind.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bizarro Watt posted:

Almost 70,000 dead and I see people walking around like it is no big deal. I understand that this isn't anything new to this thread, but I am having such a hard time wrapping my brain around this. Do they not know it's that hight? Do they still think it's only like 2,000? Boggles my mind.

70,000 dead makes Trump look bad and hurts his chances of being reelected. Therefore the number doesn't exist.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Medullah posted:

She's lowering restrictions on a bunch of things which was always her plan but I'm sure the protesters will claim it was their influence.

And in 3 months when we're under control they'll shout that "See, the restrictions weren't even needed!"

This is from a few pages back but uhhhh I have my doubts about anything being under control even by September.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Bizarro Watt posted:

Dude, some people in this thread think that you can't get sick outside.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

cynic posted:

one person actually being arrested for licking their hand and trying to rub people on checkout duty.

What the actual gently caress is going on down there?

I've seen some dumb poo poo around here but nothing quite that bizarre.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Stickman posted:

SARS-CoV-2 might be mutating faster than previously thought - Chinese study (preprint) finds 19 new mutations.

That's not to say that mutation is going to make a single-dose vaccine impossible, but like many other aspects of the virus there's still a huge amount of uncertainty about it's mutation rate (and the consequences of slow or fast mutation).

Heck, if we can't get it under control and immunity is relatively short-lived a decent mutation rate might actually be desirable - distancing and isolation of symptomatic individuals can favor less virulent strains that cause more asymptomatic infections. That's not something that can be planned around, of course.

Call me a truther if you like but I'm not believing one thing China says about this virus. Not one. I'm not going for the bioweapon bullshit but Chinese studies are to be disregarded on sight, imo.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

beejay posted:

This is one of those history repeating things because that was one of the prevailing beliefs about the 1918 flu and the biggest civilian outbreaks that got it established in the civilian population were linked to outdoor gatherings

VH4Ever posted:

Call me a truther if you like but I'm not believing one thing China says about this virus. Not one. I'm not going for the bioweapon bullshit but Chinese studies are to be disregarded on sight, imo.

Ironically their studies have been pretty good quality and they've definitely been good faith working to share knowledge with the rest of the global medical community. Obviously apply all the skepticism you'd apply to any preliminary reporting about some new study because that's always a dumpster fire even at the best of times.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 3, 2020

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

LeeMajors posted:

The CDC website currently has 64k US deaths tallied so I have no idea what this loving idiot is talking about.

The right wing people have started pushing this https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm from the cdc website and pretending https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...PIsAdMgl8C13cOU this was the same data. They are pretending the second link doesn't exist, using an old screen shot, and saying they cut deaths in half. People are falling for it and calling this a lot of bs. I had to explain to friends why that's not correct.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned the link with the lower number lags behind up to 8 weeks for numbers. (and it says so on the page.)

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Ironically their studies have been pretty good quality and they've definitely been good faith working to share knowledge with the rest of the global medical community. Obviously apply all the skepticism you'd apply to any preliminary reporting about some new study because that's always a dumpster fire even at the best of times.

Eh. Still, taking with a block of salt until someone more reputable corroborates. Hell, that link was some "Chinese study" quoted by Newsweek, that's two strikes imo.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Always good to have a healthy dose of Sinophobia.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Lambert posted:

Always good to have a healthy dose of Sinophobia.

Here we go. Yeah that Netanyahu is a liar with multiple fraud investigations to his name and who has led Israel in an observably more right wing, kinda genocidal direction. I must really hate Jews, right?

EDIT

Your av is well earned.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

beejay posted:

Can you point to a post where somebody actually said this?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Spacebump posted:

The right wing people have started pushing this https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm from the cdc website and pretending https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...PIsAdMgl8C13cOU this was the same data. They are pretending the second link doesn't exist, using an old screen shot, and saying they cut deaths in half. People are falling for it and calling this a lot of bs. I had to explain to friends why that's not correct.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned the link with the lower number lags behind up to 8 weeks for numbers. (and it says so on the page.)

My chud cousin has been all over this one. Pointing out that the page says it lags other reporting was just greeted with how it’s confusing on purpose to instill fear. He’s way into re-opening everything immediately, and starting to shift into conspiracy theory territory.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
So this is the study from Zhejiang University:
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.14.20060160v2

It's a pre-print that hasn't even gone through peer review. Given that it should be doubted disregarding what country it came from.

quote:

This article is a preprint and has not been peer-reviewed [what does this mean?]. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice.

Newsweek didn't even link to the study, they lazy

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Space Gopher posted:

Can you point to a post where somebody actually said this?

CSM posted:

Literally nothing wrong in that video? It's just people walking in open air. Stop being hysterical.

They didn't outright say it but it's definitely implied by seeing "nothing wrong" in that video.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Araenna posted:

I never even considered putting it down on my medical history. I'd get strep throat like 3-4 times a year minimum, and it progressed to scarlet fever twice I think? I have so much drat poo poo in my history already, I never even considered adding something like that.

There are some long-term complications possible with it so in theory it has some value, though in my case it was still on some medical history checklists so I checked it off. I was also a "oh look, it's strep o'clock" kid, it's just the first time it caught my parents by surprise and ended up as scarlet fever.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

borkencode posted:

My chud cousin has been all over this one. Pointing out that the page says it lags other reporting was just greeted with how it’s confusing on purpose to instill fear. He’s way into re-opening everything immediately, and starting to shift into conspiracy theory territory.

Man imagine if this whole thing were going on with Hilary Clinton in office, the right would be foaming at the mouth with conspiracy theories and the protests would be insane.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I understand that people want to pump the brakes on the idea that we can get a vaccine out quickly, and they may end up being right, but the kind of resources the world is devoting to a vaccine for this virus absolutely dwarfs anything like what we have done before for SARS or MERS. Plus there is that Oxford vaccine that was doing well with developing a SARS vaccine and has been able to switch over to this one since the two are more closely related. So I think it's just a matter of time.

That's the part that everyone agrees on, but no one really knows how soon that will be. It could be available and widely distributed by next year but that's pretty unlikely. The article that sparked this line of discussion was about what kinds of changes may need to happen if a vaccine is not widely available that soon

VH4Ever posted:

That's pretty stupid of you. When Chinese studies agree with American (:911:) ones what happens? Do you enter an infinite loop?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Folks. The virus isnt that bad. Almost nobody has died and it's time to open everything up. However, the virus is also a deadly bioweapon designed in a Chinese laboratory, to destroy the West.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Bizarro Watt posted:

But the flu kills this many every year so

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I don’t know how many of you live in New England but all the local Facebook groups on the NH/MA border are done with this and they’ve started calling people “pro maskers.”

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

QuarkJets posted:

That's pretty stupid of you. When Chinese studies agree with American (:911:) ones what happens? Do you enter an infinite loop?

...no? Did you just not read the post where I said I'm waiting on corroboration? Or did you ignore it for this sicc burn you laid on me?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Trump-aside most admin-members are likely average intelligence. They're just betting Republican voters are really dumb. Personally wouldn't bet against the American public getting whipped into a xenophobic frenzy based on (checks) history.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Bizarro Watt posted:

648k die to heart disease annually. 600k die to cancer. 160k to chronic respiratory disease. 140k to stroke. 120k to alzheimers. Diabetes 85k. Dia-loving-betes. Nobody gives a poo poo, because dying of disease is normal in America. 70k is loving nothing. When this thing has killed a million in august maybe it'll start to make an impact.

Don't count on it, though. America's health care is the best in the world dontcha know and all those other countries don't have freedom of the press because we're the best at freedom so obviously it's much worse everywhere else they're just lying

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VH4Ever posted:

...no? Did you just not read the post where I said I'm waiting on corroboration? Or did you ignore it for this sicc burn you laid on me?

The latter, obviously. Do I have to explain everything to you?

(but seriously, "I don't believe X because it's from a Chinese source" is stupid and racist)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Complications posted:

648k die to heart disease annually. 600k die to cancer. 160k to chronic respiratory disease. 140k to stroke. 120k to alzheimers. Diabetes 85k. Dia-loving-betes. Nobody gives a poo poo, because dying of disease is normal in America. 70k is loving nothing. When this thing has killed a million in august maybe it'll start to make an impact.

Heart disease isn't as scary because you don't transmit it and it's a disease that can be blamed on poor personal choices regarding diet, exercise et al. Cancer can't be passed from person to person, neither can strokes, alzheimers, or diabetes (and the vast majority of people with diabetes are type 2, and it's easy enough to blame people for lifestyle choices that lead to it).

A communicable disease like Covid-19, if it starts hitting those kinds of numbers on the regular, is infinitely more terrifying to most people because you can do everything right and still get it from being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and there's a degree of randomness regarding the other diseases that just doesn't quite apply to this. It's not your genetics at fault, somebody who was infected passed it to you. You're going to see people with allergies and chronic respiratory ailments start getting the poo poo kicked out of them or bullied in public spaces if this gets much worse.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

one thing to keep in mind about the doomsday no-vaccine scenario is that research into treatments will still be happening. we'll find out more about how the virus works and will test a shitload of drug candidates to see what's effective. i'd be surprised if we didn't find a treatment that significantly reduces mortality before a vaccine comes out. or we'll figure out why some people get way sicker than others and adjust behaviors accordingly

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

DrNutt posted:

Cancer can't be passed from person to person, neither can strokes, alzheimers, or diabetes (and the vast majority of people with diabetes are type 2, and it's easy enough to blame people for lifestyle choices that lead to it).

Don't know if there are cases in humans, but dogs get sexually transmitted cancers :O

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

LastCaress posted:

Don't know if there are cases in humans, but dogs get sexually transmitted cancers :O

HPV

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LastCaress posted:

In dogs that's probably transmission of viruses that cause cancer, right? Humans definitely do that, HPV being the big one everyone has heard of

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

QuarkJets posted:

In dogs that's probably transmission of viruses that cause cancer, right? Humans definitely do that, HPV being the big one everyone has heard of

Dogs get tumors that are directly transmitted via intercourse (transmissible venereal tumors).

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

VH4Ever posted:

That article wasn't SO bad as some have been about the doom and gloom but you know the thing I'm most tired of? The attitude (among some) I've seen everywhere, MSM, Twitter, these forums, that this is some supervirus that will keep us locked indoors indefinitely, and that SOME things just will never come back ever again (large gatherings like sports events, concerts and etc). Exactly what makes people think that's the case? Like I'm talking long term here, 3+ years down the road, say. I mean if we managed to have big gatherings and another World War since the last big pandemic like this one, what makes these people think that, given enough time even if it's a year or two, we won't get back to that place with this? I feel like I'm either missing something they know and I do not, or it's just a lot of masturbatory Chicken Little bullshit masquerading as some sort of sage prediction making. In the case of MSM, I already suspect the latter and I wonder if that isn't feeding the same feeling among individuals out there which would explain the Twitter and forums stuff I mentioned.

Thoughts?

I think a lot of it’s way over blown. I was talking to my neighbor and she said oh yeah man everything is going to change in a big way forever. when I finally drill down to what she meant it was that we’ll all wash our hands a little bit more often. poo poo like that. I was like OK sure I accept that but that’s not exactly 9/11 changed everything style change either. When I think big change I think stuff like Medicare for all, everybody’s got their own idea about what “massive change and adjustments” and stuff like that means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LastCaress posted:

Dogs get tumors that are directly transmitted via intercourse (transmissible venereal tumors).

That's super hosed up