Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Been playing through DMC5. I just finished Mission 7. I'm playing on Devin Hunter, and I can't quite shake the feeling that it's tuned a bit too easy. Nero's stuff has been OK, with a decent skill ceiling, but I've been button mashing my way to SSS combos with V without much trouble at all. I'll finish it, but thus far I'm a little disappointed after it received pretty universal acclaim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Man, I had an urge to play dying light again, which I loving loved the first time I played it back when it came out. I don’t know how I played it the first time coming back to it though. It’s such a bizarrely hard game to look at. It’s not even a bad looking game at all, but even with everything turned off, motion blur post processing etc. playing it kind of makes me want to hurl with the extreme head bobbing and particle effects floating around and the inexplicable blurriness. Such a weird looking game.

Can I get a 5-years-on Mirror's Edge Catalyst Veni3 hot take adjacent to this?

Curious what the juxtaposition would look like.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

il serpente cosmico posted:

Been playing through DMC5. I just finished Mission 7. I'm playing on Devin Hunter, and I can't quite shake the feeling that it's tuned a bit too easy. Nero's stuff has been OK, with a decent skill ceiling, but I've been button mashing my way to SSS combos with V without much trouble at all. I'll finish it, but thus far I'm a little disappointed after it received pretty universal acclaim.

What did Devin ever do to you? It's not his fault that his parents named him that???

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The DMC series is very specifically meant to be beaten once on Normal or Hard just to unlock all the moves and develop basic muscle memory, then Extra and Supah Hard modes are where you’ll really see the game put the screws to ya.

Like I’m not gonna spoil anything, but you’ll be unlocking new mechanics throughout your entire 1st playthrough.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Bust Rodd posted:

The DMC series is very specifically meant to be beaten once on Normal or Hard just to unlock all the moves and develop basic muscle memory, then Extra and Supah Hard modes are where you’ll really see the game put the screws to ya.

Like I’m not gonna spoil anything, but you’ll be unlocking new mechanics throughout your entire 1st playthrough.

Right, but it still feels like this first play-through has been quite a bit easier than the first or third games, but maybe it's just familiarity with the series helping me along.

I'm only a third of the way through though, I think, so I'll reserve judgment. I'm enjoying the mechanics and presentation enough.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One time in middle school Devin Hunter practically invited himself over to play Comix Zone and hogged the controller all weekend. gently caress Devin!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Right, but it still feels like this first play-through has been quite a bit easier than the first or third games, but maybe it's just familiarity with the series helping me along.

I'm only a third of the way through though, I think, so I'll reserve judgment. I'm enjoying the mechanics and presentation enough.

Yeah the first run through is easier than other dmcs, but theres like 7 more modes after and the next one up feels more dmcish. You can unlock them all from the get go if you beat the first boss without dying tho.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Playing Advanced Warfare here. It actually gets quite good after the first two missions. The level design is really good and the actors are very good. It's a weird one, it never really gets talked about but it's a solid single player FPS. Kevin Spacey being in it definitely sours it a bit.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Well I finished the first three Uncharted games, liked them enough to eventually play 4 and Lost Legacy (for the right price, at least).

Moved on to Shadow of War and it's fun, but are the cutscenes really always going to show me in the starter gear? How is that even possible?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Started a game of TLOU in Grounded, and then went back through the same chapter in Survivor. There was more healthkits and ammo in Grounded. Like, not random ones - intentional ones on tables and stuff. Also, I thought Survivor allies didn't give you ammo and health kits? Marlene handed me one. Weird stuff.
If Joel could take more than a single punch, I'd probably continue in Grounded. The checkpoints being removed is also pretty frustrating. I don't care about the HUD and never played with the super-hearing.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

ShakeZula posted:

Finished the first two Uncharted games and enjoying them so far, though I agree that the second is a lot better than the first. Starting the third one now but out of curiosity, does the series ever break out of the soldier enemies all game, then vaguely-supernatural monster enemies in the final area loop?
The Uncharted games, when you get right down to it, are a romantic comedy. Prove me wrong.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I found survivor to be more fun than grounded overall. Survivor always felt like the perfect difficulty to me.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah, I had a NG+ file from almost exactly a year ago. Used the little glitch to bump it up to Survivor. It's weird to me that there's more items in Grounded, though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I played tlou on survivor and it was hard enough. I feel like grounded might get annoying.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

STREETS OF RAGE!!!!

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Sony would be smart to make PSVR2 compatible with PCs.

https://youtu.be/IZpgjymt9Xc

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Firstborn posted:

Started a game of TLOU in Grounded, and then went back through the same chapter in Survivor. There was more healthkits and ammo in Grounded. Like, not random ones - intentional ones on tables and stuff. Also, I thought Survivor allies didn't give you ammo and health kits? Marlene handed me one. Weird stuff.
If Joel could take more than a single punch, I'd probably continue in Grounded. The checkpoints being removed is also pretty frustrating. I don't care about the HUD and never played with the super-hearing.

Yeah, at that point it's basically a puzzle game. I doubt a lot of people have the patience for that kind of thing. I haven't done the top diff. settings on TLOU, but I did beat every Uncharted title on Crushing, which had its ups and downs. Veni played TLOU on Grounded I think.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

One time in middle school Devin Hunter practically invited himself over to play Comix Zone and hogged the controller all weekend. gently caress Devin!

That game fuckin ruled. So difficult, tho!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

STREETS OF RAGE!!!!

It's so good. Can't wait to get an A rank despite being into hardest and feeling like I'm playing well lol. Deep game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That just showed up on MS Gamepass, maybe I'll check it out.

I can't imagine the soundtrack can be as good as SOR2's though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlb8UYuSIp8

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That just showed up on MS Gamepass, maybe I'll check it out.

I can't imagine the soundtrack can be as good as SOR2's though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlb8UYuSIp8

The soundtrack isn't bad, but it's the weakest part of the game imo. It's okay, while everything else is awesome! Love the art style.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JBP posted:

I played tlou on survivor and it was hard enough. I feel like grounded might get annoying.

Grounded is great but only if you've beaten it several times. I wouldn't say it's necessary to memorize anything but you really have to know how long it is until your next big loot chance to know when you can spare a bullet and when you can't

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

precision posted:

Grounded is great but only if you've beaten it several times. I wouldn't say it's necessary to memorize anything but you really have to know how long it is until your next big loot chance to know when you can spare a bullet and when you can't

Yeah I felt like survivor was hard enough that you felt under constant pressure but you could work it out as you went along. I only played through the game once so I'm glad I did it on the harder setting. I watched a friend playing on normal and he was fine with it, but he was bodying dudes pretty freely which seemed to change the tone from making GBS threads your pants and thinking things through to going full on John McClane.

E: it was funny watching him set up the "Jackie Chan nest" where he'd hide in a corner with a heap of bricks and bottles then throw them at people until he won.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 4, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Sony would be smart to make PSVR2 compatible with PCs.

https://youtu.be/IZpgjymt9Xc

Psvr runs fine on a pc anyway, i had doom 3 vr going on for abit on mine.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

OK, I got up to the part where you leave midgar in OG FF7 and that was okay I guess. lots of old clunky mechanics.

Is that really all FF7R covers? Took me like 8 1/2 hours :\ You're saying they pad that out 4x?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vikar Jerome posted:

Psvr runs fine on a pc anyway, i had doom 3 vr going on for abit on mine.
As a head mounted display though right? Not as a proper VR helmet.

Edit:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

OK, I got up to the part where you leave midgar in OG FF7 and that was okay I guess. lots of old clunky mechanics.

Is that really all FF7R covers? Took me like 8 1/2 hours :\ You're saying they pad that out 4x?
I'd say only some of it is padding, and the rest is honest serious world building of how that city came to be and what life there is like.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

More like 3x, but not exactly padding

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You can tell all of FF7's story in a lot less than the hours it takes to play the game.

Yes they "padded" it out. Jessie for example is a real character with a real backstory, a real personality, and supporting characters in her life that explain why she is in AVALANCHE.

It is a much fuller and deeper take on Midgar.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

You can tell all of FF7's story in a lot less than the hours it takes to play the game.

Yes they "padded" it out. Jessie for example is a real character with a real backstory and supporting characters in her life.

It is a much fuller and deeper take on Midgar.

Honestly I don't know at any point that I ever really needed to know or wanted to know more about Jessie or any of these other nobodies. The story doesn't seem to be about them, it seems to be about Cloud's gang.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If you want to get granular, I would say that the additional time is:

40% added significant story content with more plot and characterization
40% longer dungeons/fights which are fine because the combat gameplay is really well-done
20% "true" filler (sidequests with barely any content, backtracking through areas)

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Honestly I don't know at any point that I ever really needed to know or wanted to know more about Jessie or any of these other nobodies. The story doesn't seem to be about them, it seems to be about Cloud's gang.

This is circular logic, they're "nobodies" because the story didn't spend any time on them, and when the remake does spend time on them, they aren't nobodies anymore

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jessie is good, and she's even better in the Remake

and good, because we'll be seeing a lot more of her

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Okay then? This is different. I'm saying they opted to make those people important characters and the way they did it serves the overall story very, very well. It enhances the whole "Shinra sucks" aspect with some very personal stories.

If you don't want to play it don't, idk. But it's not just "padded ". It's a more involved look. It's like watching a movie instead of reading the Wikipedia summary.

Just the 4 hour wall market chapter alone justifies the remake imo

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 4, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Nail Rat posted:

Okay then? This is different. I'm saying they opted to make those people important characters and the way they did it serves the overall story very, very well. It enhances the whole "Shinra sucks" aspect with some very personal stories.

If you don't want to play it don't, idk. But it's not just "padded ". It's a more involved look. It's like watching a movie instead of reading the Wikipedia summary.

Just the 4 hour wall market chapter alone justifies the remake imo

I'll accept that there is some videogame padding in the same way random encounters everywhere are padding, but I don't see the story's trajectory or character interactions as padding. There are two dungeons that are probably a bit long, but it's an rpg you need to have big stretches of combat and gear management.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The only padding I have serious issue with is chapter 17 in general and the absolutely ridiculous boss gauntlet that is chapters 17 and 18.

We don't need 7 multi phase bosses in 2 chapters.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is circular logic, they're "nobodies" because the story didn't spend any time on them, and when the remake does spend time on them, they aren't nobodies anymore

Having not played FF7R, the only thing I can say is that the only comparison I have is the original and I still very easily got the point that Shinra sucks, and not just from Barret's whining. They smashed all the poor people by dropping the sky on their town. That's really all you need tbqh.

So then that's the question, they clearly didn't just want to remake the game, they wanted to do something different, so instead of doing more of the game, they dilly around in midgar longer (in FF7R, fleshing out characters that arguably don't really matter in the scheme of things probably).

It then begs the question why. How many parts will they make? Will they make FF7: Golden Saucer where the entire game is just minigames? Glancing at the content in FF7, probably a lot for $60+ a pop.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 4, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Having not played FF7R, the only thing I can say is that the only comparison I have is the original and I still very easily got the point that Shinra sucks, and not just from Barret's whining. They smashed all the poor people by dropping the sky on their town. That's really all you need tbqh.

Understand that more can happen in terms of narrative than "explain plot beats."

Some audience members like getting to know characters who say and do interesting things and have their own backstories and personal motivations

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Understand that more can happen in terms of narrative than "explain plot beats."

Some audience members like getting to know characters who say and do interesting things and have their own backstories and personal motivations

I suppose it depends on what/who it is. No one wants to read a book on the backstory of JarJar.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Guillermus posted:

Why would you miss it? I still use it on windows 10 and there's an not so old release. Their forums still work.

Winamp is still the best music player for Windows :colbert:

I moved off of Windows for home use years ago.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I suppose it depends on what/who it is. No one wants to read a book on the backstory of JarJar.

Well if they remade Jar Jar into an important and compelling and emotionally engaging character that actually made sense within the context of the larger narrative, they might. But they didn't and they won't.

On the other hand, Jessie, Wedge, and to a lesser degree Biggs are all great characters in FF7R and the overall narrative is better for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah I don't play JRPGs for the horseshit narrative, I'm in it for the cool pals.