Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have some very scary news.

I deleted my island to try to fix the flickering glitch and rewound my system clock to the date the game released. Been slowly advancing up to catch back up to where I was in real time and well... was bored and checked my Turnip Prices on this random rear end day

Turns out my Turnips are 511 right now

If you wanna sell uber early and have a easy stress free week my Dodo code is: JWH3V

If you wanna drop anything off DIY/flowers/bells/mile tickets would be nice but honestly I'm just happy to help :shobon:

Come laugh at me!!

You poor soul.

Did it at least fix the flickering issue? Also, are you in the Discord? You should pop in there if you're not and ask for help. Lots of folks have extra DIY cards and such that I'm sure they'd be happy to give you to help you catch up to where you were. The Discord folks are extremely generous and helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's fine, kinda figured it would happen given the situation going down :v:, just enjoying the sight of my nice flowers and the calming DING DONG DING DONG of the incoming visitor messages.

I'm attempting to drop stuff off by your house so grab em quick, then I'm out

e: oh Irene is here hi who are you? You visited Alexandria earlier and you have a new hat!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hahaha ontop of the turnips Celeste just spawned in and is walking in front of the shop

E: I'll have to check in front of my house when I can make it there, was in the other room for a minute :v: And nah, I get anxious in discord for whatever reason so I usually avoid it :sweatdrop:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The flickering issue is just busy islands meet bad coding. If the game has to render too many objects at once it starts culling objects out of frame. The correct way to do this is to also check whether the shadow cast by that object is in frame but lol :effort:. Because, you know, Animal Crossing needs a real powerhouse of a system to run at all of 30 fps

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hahaha ontop of the turnips Celeste just spawned in and is walking in front of the shop

Yeah I straight up ran into her on my first visit and got out with profit and a thing from her! There's some tickets and random DIYs in front of your house, please get them now!

Is there a better way to leave gifts for hosts?? This seems inefficient. I promise I left some stuff

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 4, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I really don't know what's going on with the flickering issue as a aside, I wound up taking down a entire mountain, all the furniture and setpieces, making it completely bare and just having big empty fields and I still had it going on pretty bad.

Worst part? My new island has the *cherries* shadow flickering. Not the tree but the fruits themselves. It's not always noticeable but when I catch it I'm just 'ugh... am I really the only one with this problem?'

eating only apples posted:

Yeah I straight up ran into her on my first visit and got out with profit and a thing from her! There's some tickets and random DIYs in front of your house, please get them now!

Got them, thank you so much!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Haha there's a queue to leave so we're all sitting waiting politely, how lovely

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Guess I'm out here running an ironwood shop. If you want me to make any of these items for you then come on over to my island with the needed materials.

Edit: Done for the night.
  • Ironwood chair = 3 wood, 2 iron
  • Ironwood dresser = 7 wood, 4 iron
  • Ironwood low table = 6 wood, 4 iron
  • Ironwood cupboard = 12 wood, 6 iron, 1 Ironwood dresser (or an additional 7 wood, 4 iron)
  • Cutting board = 2 hardwood, 1 iron
  • Ironwood kitchenette 4 wood, 3 iron, 1 Ironwood dresser (or an additional 7 wood, 4 iron), 1 Cutting board (or 2 hardwood, 1 additional iron)
You can see what these look like here.

In return, if you could bring me any of the following items so I can touch and catalog them that would be great.
  • Computers or laptops
  • TVs
  • Large kitchen appliances
  • Large bathroom fixtures
  • Arcade stools
I'll meet you by the fountain outside the airport once you get here. Please feel free to poke around the island afterwards.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 4, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Yeah that's madness. It kicks you out of the menu entirely if you're given a join slot that fills up while it's trying to connect.

I don't see how this is doable for anyone without turnip exchange or the discord bot.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
This is insane, no wonder people leave with minus. Just waiting to be able to get out. It is very airport I suppose. Everyone's very polite and respecting the queue though.

e: that was really fun though, hi Irene and Stefani, patient waiting buddies

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Haha there's a queue to leave so we're all sitting waiting politely, how lovely

The funniest part is always when you open your gates to a goonrush. You post the code, walk around for a bit, even get some fishing in if you want.

"Huh, I wonder if anyone is actually interested." You think to yourself.

Then literally all at once DING DONG DING DONG

"Oh yeah here it is."

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I really don't know what's going on with the flickering issue as a aside, I wound up taking down a entire mountain, all the furniture and setpieces, making it completely bare and just having big empty fields and I still had it going on pretty bad.

Worst part? My new island has the *cherries* shadow flickering. Not the tree but the fruits themselves. It's not always noticeable but when I catch it I'm just 'ugh... am I really the only one with this problem?'

I can, at the very least, reassure you that you're not the only one with the flickering problem. Shame there's no way to start a second island on the same Switch to try and identify the tipping point where it starts to become noticeable

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I deleted my island to try to fix the flickering glitch and rewound my system clock to the date the game released. Been slowly advancing up to catch back up to where I was in real time and well... was bored and checked my Turnip Prices on this random rear end day

If you wanna sell uber early and have a easy stress free week my Dodo code is: JWH3V

If you wanna drop anything off DIY/flowers/bells/mile tickets would be nice but honestly I'm just happy to help :shobon:

Come laugh at me!!

Gahhh please stay open a little bit longer, will bring gold

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Can’t remember if I posted in here that Sprinkle the peppy penguin is in boxes today, so hit me with a PM or whatever if you want to come scoop her up!

e: also huge shoutout to Jerry from Moontear for the island treasure hunt the other day, I legit loved that

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

This is insane, no wonder people leave with minus. Just waiting to be able to get out. It is very airport I suppose. Everyone's very polite and respecting the queue though.

e: that was really fun though, hi Irene and Stefani, patient waiting buddies

HI I'm Stefani. The queue was surprisingly fun, haha, but that was a bit nuts.

I left some bunny day DIYs by the museum as it's about the best I could do right now. Thanks to op for opening the town!

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Come laugh at me!!

Thanks so much! Leaving you a bunch of bells.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Could the flickering be an early sign of a hardware problem? It seems weird how it crosses certain islands on the same Switch.

Ran through the May Day Island yesterday and that was a treat. More like this, please.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I looked for the turnip seller this morning but couldn't find her. I was just looking again and still nothing. Turns out she's gone by noon anyway so :rip:

A Long Way Down
Jul 14, 2009

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

Grimey Drawer
Well, I left bells at your house but I may die on this island.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Chicken Doodle posted:

Gahhh please stay open a little bit longer, will bring gold

It's fine, I plan on staying open until the shop closes itself or people stop showing up :v:

As of right now there's about a hour and a half left till closing time.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Could the flickering be an early sign of a hardware problem? It seems weird how it crosses certain islands on the same Switch.

Ran through the May Day Island yesterday and that was a treat. More like this, please.

I think it's just the game, none of my other games physical or downloadable have any technical issues at all- it's just Animal Crossing.

A Long Way Down posted:

I appreciate it! Though yeah, gotta love how it stops you in position every time the news ticker comes up :v:

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

fknlo posted:

I looked for the turnip seller this morning but couldn't find her. I was just looking again and still nothing. Turns out she's gone by noon anyway so :rip:

It is weird how she leaves fairly early; I set my Switch time back 4 hours because I have a second shift job and I kept missing things like that because I'd wake up after noon. Considering that Tommy and Timmy won't buy anything until after 5 AM Monday, and there's not much to stop time traveling, Daisy Mae might as well be an all-day visitor like all the others.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

A Long Way Down posted:

I'm laughing my rear end off at the amount of chaos just to get in and out

I also love how many people I'm starting to recognize LOL

Chicken Doodle fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 4, 2020

KineticCapitalist
Jan 4, 2014

Doldrums. Doldrums. Eviler than the Devil. Boredom makes men to villains.

KineticCapitalist posted:

Hello everyone, the Kinetica tourism board has told me that we have too much garbage AMAZING FREE STUFF! Come and get it while the gettin's good. Located in the beach to the left of the airport is the dump SURPRISE PILE! Also if anyone has a deer scare, or deer scare recipe I would appreciate it.

Dodo code: 2NCY8CLOSED

Moe is crafting large cardboard boxes

Thanks to everyone that visited, and a very special thanks to Kathy for the lovely art.

a nigga who smoke
Feb 26, 2007

coughin' and chokin' constantly
Opening up my island for a bit. Still very much a work in progress, but it's coming along.

Chops is in boxes. If anyone is in the market for a pig dressed like a Musketeer he's all yours.

Simon is crafting sauna heaters. He's in the back middle.

Leif has azaleas and hydrangeas. Nothing too special in Able's that I noticed. Nook's has a paper tiger and a tambourine.

If anyone could bring me a basketball, that'd be great. I just built a court and look like an rear end in a top hat with only a football.

Dodo Code - CLOSED

a nigga who smoke fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 4, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I caught an anchovy :toot:

My wife named the island after our cat :v:

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Chicken Doodle posted:

I also love how many people I'm starting to recognize LOL

Yeah, I appreciate you opening your island for the DIY, but it was way too many interruptions of people joining and leaving for me to feel capable of leaving a note or anything.

I only just started a few days ago so my island is a mess, but hopefully I can start returning the favor in a week or two!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I see Redd and Celeste walking around while the 'someone is showing up' banner is on my screen... and I get jealous...

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I see Redd and Celeste walking around while the 'someone is showing up' banner is on my screen... and I get jealous...

Just for conversation, why didn't you set up a queue on turnip.exchange? Is there a downside to that?

Blockhead
Jun 6, 2003

turtle power

Chicken Doodle posted:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

redcheval posted:

Can’t remember if I posted in here that Sprinkle the peppy penguin is in boxes today, so hit me with a PM or whatever if you want to come scoop her up!

Ah, dammit, that's my wife's most-wanted villager, and my second-most wanted peppy villager after the flamingo. But of course I have no room.

I haven't had a villager ask to leave in over two weeks, by the way. Every time a villager gets the ... over their head, it's to ask if they can also call me Button. Even if they've already asked and I've refused. I genuinely suspect at this point that I can't have villagers ask to leave until all of them are calling me Button.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jet Jaguar posted:

Not to get all "my uncle works for Nintendo" but as a former game dev what's going on in software is pretty clear: normally one of the optimisations in a 3d game is to avoid sending objects outside of the volume visible to the camera to be rendered. This makes sense because why waste processing power on something that isn't actually going to produce any pixels on screen. What's happening here is that when the object is out of frame and stops being sent to the renderer, the game also stops drawing the shadows generated by that object, even if they still extend into the frame.

What's not clear is what causes this object culling to kick in, since it definitely wasn't happening on my island to start with. I suspect it's a very basic heuristic like number of objects on the island, or in the quadrant of the island you're stood in, or something similar. Also, this is stuff that can be pretty deep in the game engine, so I wouldn't pin any hopes on Nintendo fixing it unless the gaming press pick up on it, and even then there's a good chance they just ignore it (see: any criticism of multiplayer)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

having it persist onto a new island alongside them having pretty severe pop in issues previously would at least make me personally send the console in honestly (if we werent in a huge lockdown where thats not very possible lol)

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Tarnop posted:

Not to get all "my uncle works for Nintendo" but as a former game dev what's going on in software is pretty clear: normally one of the optimisations in a 3d game is to avoid sending objects outside of the volume visible to the camera to be rendered. This makes sense because why waste processing power on something that isn't actually going to produce any pixels on screen. What's happening here is that when the object is out of frame and stops being sent to the renderer, the game also stops drawing the shadows generated by that object, even if they still extend into the frame.

What's not clear is what causes this object culling to kick in, since it definitely wasn't happening on my island to start with. I suspect it's a very basic heuristic like number of objects on the island, or in the quadrant of the island you're stood in, or something similar. Also, this is stuff that can be pretty deep in the game engine, so I wouldn't pin any hopes on Nintendo fixing it unless the gaming press pick up on it, and even then there's a good chance they just ignore it (see: any criticism of multiplayer)

I see the flickering happen a lot in areas that are very dense with placed objects, like giant blocks of bugs/fish.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Celeste gave me a lunar rover and I made some good bank on the turnips! Now I can get my basement!

You're the best :3:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Stux posted:

having it persist onto a new island alongside them having pretty severe pop in issues previously would at least make me personally send the console in honestly (if we werent in a huge lockdown where thats not very possible lol)

Should be easy enough to test.

Invite someone who doesn't see any shadow flicker on their island. Stand in a place where flicker is visible to the affected person. If both people see flicker then it's not the console.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

McCracAttack posted:

Just for conversation, why didn't you set up a queue on turnip.exchange? Is there a downside to that?

If I'm being completely honest, I didn't even check the turnip exchange. I saw some people saying that they were charging folks to use it and was just 'ehhh fair but I'm broke right now.'

Chicken Doodle posted:

Celeste gave me a lunar rover and I made some good bank on the turnips! Now I can get my basement!

You're the best :3:

Glad to hear you got what you needed from the chaos, I'm pretty excited to rebuild my basement as I had a pretty novel idea for it I think, and it looked good before I had to Tear It All Down.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 4, 2020

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Come laugh at me!!

Well it took me 45 minutes but I got in. I left you some DIY furniture behind Nook's.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's fine, I plan on staying open until the shop closes itself or people stop showing up :v:

As of right now there's about a hour and a half left till closing time.

I think it's just the game, none of my other games physical or downloadable have any technical issues at all- it's just Animal Crossing.

I appreciate it! Though yeah, gotta love how it stops you in position every time the news ticker comes up :v:

I can’t even get onto the drat thing. Been trying for fifteen minutes. INTERFERENCE

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
I can't believe that all the bugs on my island are loving dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Does anyone know if the villager requests where they want a specific type of fish or bug expire overnight? Is there any sort of penalty to not doing it? This bitch on my island wants a goldfish and all I'm getting are frogs and killifish in 2 stacks of bait.