Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If you think there are happy endings for any of these characters, you haven't been paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Zesty posted:

If you think there are happy endings for any of these characters, you haven't been paying attention.

The RDR universe has a strong Cormac McCarthy flavor to it and that's not good for anyone who lives in it.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
He wrote. Abook. It's Canon

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
I'm sorry for my tone but seeing so many people use their powers of supposition to extrapolate a wrong answer when data exists was making me feel violent towards myself

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Zesty posted:

It's fine Arthur booted Strauss out of camp for being a gross human immediately and decided a life of crime wasn't worth it and went on to create Arthur's Home For Wayward Animals with Charles and Sadie and everyone is happy yay :unsmith:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
The drive to play big games without guides on 'how to get the best thing' really pays off when you accidentally stumble across a pretty white horse in the snow, set out to break it (and for me, it was the first time I broke one in the wild), only for it to be a rare coat of an Arabian.

:allears:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Zesty posted:

Things turn out moderately well for (RDR2 epilogue spoilers) Mary-Beth, Tilly, Trelawny, Pearson, the reverend, Sadie and Charles. Well, maybe not the last two because they still had hard violent lives and were minorities in the early 20th century but nothing explicitly bad has befallen them by the end.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Is there really no way to get rid of duplicate guns in your horse storage? That's kind of incredible given the twenty million context actions in every other part of the UI.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
If it’s online, buy the gun locker from the trader role. Place all your old poo poo guns in it and never look at them again.

If it’s in single player I don’t think so unfortunately.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

He wrote. Abook. It's Canon

The newspapers in the epilogue say that the Van Der Linde gang's already so legendary that there's basically an entire subgenre of pulp fiction dedicated to their exploits.

You could get a really hefty book deal based on "inside" knowledge or memoirs of growing up in the gang if people hadn't gotten tired of Van Der Linde stuff by 1917.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
So I'm part way through chapter three, just far enough to unlock the horse fence, and now I'm just loving around.

Other than weapons, do later chapters unlock anything "essential" that i should be gunning for? I'm otherwise playing the game blind, but I'd have to go as long as i did and be one mission away from something really useful.

No spoilers, please :kiddo:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Morter posted:

So I'm part way through chapter three, just far enough to unlock the horse fence, and now I'm just loving around.

Other than weapons, do later chapters unlock anything "essential" that i should be gunning for? I'm otherwise playing the game blind, but I'd have to go as long as i did and be one mission away from something really useful.

The only thing I can think of is coach robbery tips which is also in Chapter 3 and the ability to actually loving USE your guns in Rhodes which is story-locked.

Other than that not really.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Morter posted:

If you want achievements, some can be missed in a playthrough. Other than those, you can 100% everything else even in the epilogue.

Missable achievements:

Errand Boy: Deliver 5 camp companion item requests. There are a total of 20, you only need 5. ( must be completed before Chapter 5)

Friends with Benefits: Complete at least one Companion Activity in each camp (chapter). Here's the list of the available activities:

Chapter II
-Hunting with Charles,
-Five Finger Fillet with Lenny,
-Home Robbery with Javier
Chapter III
-Five Finger Fillet with Micah,
-Fishing with Javier or Kieran,
-Home Robbery with Sean
Chapter IV
-Coach Robbery with Micah or Lenny,
-Hunting with Pearson

Lending a Hand: Complete all optional Honor story missions. Always choose to help when you have the option to.

I don't think the mission names are particularly spoilery, but I'll err on the side of caution here.

Chapter II:
'We Loved Once and True' I, II & III
'Good, Honest, Snake Oil'
'Money Lending and Other Sins' I, II & III
Chapter III:
'Money Lending and Other Sins' IV
'The Curse of True Love' I, II & III
Chapter IV:
'Money Lending and Other Sins' V
'Help a Brother Out'
'Brothers and Sisters, One and All'
'Fatherhood and Other Dreams' I & II
Chapter VI:
'Money Lending and Other Sins' VI & VII
'Of Men and Angels' I & II
'Do Not Seek Absolution' I & II
'The Course of True Love' IV & V
'Honor, Amongst Thieves'
'Archeology for Beginners'
'Mrs. Sadie Adler, Widow' I & II

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Are there any good solutions to the disconnection issues plagueing RDR online? I like playing the game a lot and prefer online to story, and I'd like to play it with a friend. Separately, we can generally play just fine in online mode, but when we posse up, one of us (usually him) eats a DC whenever we do anything that has a loading screen, including showdowns, free roam events and story missions.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Just ran across Uncle reading the newspaper in Chapter 2 and lol that hes a committed anti-imperialist (because he doesn't believe in fighting countries he can't find on maps). My woke king.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The newspapers in the epilogue say that the Van Der Linde gang's already so legendary that there's basically an entire subgenre of pulp fiction dedicated to their exploits.

You could get a really hefty book deal based on "inside" knowledge or memoirs of growing up in the gang if people hadn't gotten tired of Van Der Linde stuff by 1917.

And yet somehow (I guess I'll put this in spoilers because I suppose it's a pretty big one if you never played RDR1), John Marston is able to buy a ranch and settle down just outside Blackwater, the city so dangerous in the SP campaign that it kills you just by coming near it

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
So how's the RDR Online for this, any fun?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Scroll back a page or two

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Zesty posted:

Scroll back a page or two

Buggy as poo poo rog. Is it possible to do the different poo poo without buying gold bars or whatever? I got the 'twitch prime moonshine still upgrade' but it looks like i still have to buy a moonshine still with $$$ gold bars.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I bought 2 roles with my pre order bonus and still dropped the online within 3 days. I swear to god the only discussion about online is how buggy it is or how happy goons are from missing dailies and not having to play anymore (spice it up with a ‘is griefing the right way to play?’ discussion every other month)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Professorjuggalo posted:

I bought 2 roles with my pre order bonus and still dropped the online within 3 days. I swear to god the only discussion about online is how buggy it is or how happy goons are from missing dailies and not having to play anymore (spice it up with a ‘is griefing the right way to play?’ discussion every other month)

It'd be pretty cool if the game with the most lucrative opening weekend of any piece of media ever could maybe come out with some dlc or something for the single-player everyone likes like filling up New Austin so its not so empty or giving us Mexico again instead of putting all its resources into the MMO no-body likes but :capitalism:

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I wanna pretend rockstar isn’t updating RDO because they’re making the RDR1 remake dlc

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Again, I find myself wishing that nobody had ever wasted any time developing the trash that is RDO and instead had added a bunch more end game single player content.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

hakimashou posted:

So how's the RDR Online for this, any fun?

Its ok to mix in playing some RDO while playing the single player as it lets you fart around in the world more in a different way, horse rally racing can be fun with kicking people and the body physics

but RDO is buggy as gently caress and doesn't really stand on its own, the disconnects the loading times, its all pretty hosed. its not a multiplayer game where you get your buds all on together and play, because with four people at least one will be constantly hosed with some kind of issue

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 2, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I bought gold for moonshiner because I was under the false impression that that was the point where Rockstar was going to start like, I dunno, taking the game more seriously when it comes to stability. I have no idea why i thought that, it was just wishful thinking. That said you can get at least a solid 10 or so hours out of online, for sure.

Captain Beans in the post above is 100% right though

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

Its ok to mix in playing some RDO while playing the single player as it lets you fart around in the world more in a different way, horse rally racing can be fun with kicking people and the body physics

Every time I've tried racing in RDO, I've been the ony person actually racing while everyone else was AFK farming.

So that means I spend 5 mintues running the race and then 20 watching people slowly walk in circles while the timer runs down.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

long time goon, longtime western fan, and I'm an Old. Just installed RDR2. I know absolutely nothing about the story, or about the game.

Can any of you give me any spoiler-free advice on the game? Things to do, things not to do?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

MrMojok posted:

long time goon, longtime western fan, and I'm an Old. Just installed RDR2. I know absolutely nothing about the story, or about the game.

Can any of you give me any spoiler-free advice on the game? Things to do, things not to do?

just have fun pardner. there's nothing you can really do wrong unless you're obsessed with completing every little thing.

some people might say "make sure you go here and get this particular thing at this point in the game" or whatever, but don't sweat that stuff imo (unless it grabs you)

The first couple of hours are very guided and then it opens up a bit. Even when it opens up it's good to do the story missions for a while because they introduce all the game mechanics. But then you can get into the flow of wandering around exploring and doing a story mission every so often. Pace it out however you want.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

MrMojok posted:

Make sure to go into town to take baths regularly.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Have fun with Single Player before stressing Online.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Treat your horse nice. Give them sugar cubes and pats and brushes.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

You can pet dogs if you are close enough.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

fuf posted:

some people might say "make sure you go here and get this particular thing at this point in the game" or whatever, but don't sweat that stuff imo

toggle posted:

Treat your horse nice. Give them sugar cubes and pats and brushes.

I stand corrected

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
the most important thing to remember is that double tapping the button to holster your pistol lets you do a little spin

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Hunting is extremely important because it gives you more clothes to play dress up with.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

fuf posted:

just have fun pardner. there's nothing you can really do wrong unless you're obsessed with completing every little thing.

some people might say "make sure you go here and get this particular thing at this point in the game" or whatever, but don't sweat that stuff imo (unless it grabs you)

The first couple of hours are very guided and then it opens up a bit. Even when it opens up it's good to do the story missions for a while because they introduce all the game mechanics. But then you can get into the flow of wandering around exploring and doing a story mission every so often. Pace it out however you want.

The story missions also reward you with quite a bit of money, so don't stress out and think that you need to grind out cash by selling pelts or robbing wagons or whatever; eventually the story will give you more money than you would have earned through hours of open world activity. Obviously hunt and rob if you have fun doing it, but don't think it's something you HAVE to do for money if you'd rather just progress the game.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Dress up is my favorite part of any game and glad there's a robust system here. So many men and animals have died to feed Arthur's relentless appetite for fashion.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Dress up is my favorite part of any game and glad there's a robust system here. So many men and animals have died to feed Arthur's relentless appetite for fashion.

And art!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

After spending WEEKS cultivating that red-and-black look from before, I'm bothered how much I like him in this Ram coat for mountain-hunting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

Obviously hunt and rob if you have fun doing it, but don't think it's something you HAVE to do for money if you'd rather just progress the game.

This is the same reasoning i have when i depopulate a town.