Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

idk if it's uncool or whatever to admit to ~emotionality~ especially over a god damned video game and double-plus especially over a final fantasy MMO story

but the entire last two or three hours of Shadowbringers had me tearing up, and the endgame dungeons at the time were a feast for the eyes and especially the ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
as long as we're jrpging since they're both on sale:

as someone who liked Vesperia a lot and hasn't really played a tales game since then, any opinions on Berseria vs just going with the shiny redone Vesperia?

also is any of this dlc anything good or is it all just the standard tales fare of expensive outfits and geegaws and +3 levels?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ciaphas posted:

idk if it's uncool or whatever to admit to ~emotionality~ especially over a god damned video game and double-plus especially over a final fantasy MMO story

but the entire last two or three hours of Shadowbringers had me tearing up, and the endgame dungeons at the time were a feast for the eyes and especially the ears

The sequence between the last dungeon and trial at the end of Shadowbringers was the second time I've ever screamed at a game in my life.

I can't remember the last time I've been so satisfied with how a game wrapped up; they loving nailed it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Ciaphas posted:

It's cool and good and the sooner we're rid of people feeling the need to confine words like "emotionality" and "immersion" in the context of video games within ~Tildes of Detached Irony~ the better.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

The sequence between the last dungeon and trial at the end of Shadowbringers was the second time I've ever screamed at a game in my life.

I can't remember the last time I've been so satisfied with how a game wrapped up; they loving nailed it.

i don't envy people who did that as dps lol

imagine seeing all that then getting blueballed for 15+ minutes waiting for the final trial to gather a group

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zvahl posted:

as long as we're jrpging since they're both on sale:

as someone who liked Vesperia a lot and hasn't really played a tales game since then, any opinions on Berseria vs just going with the shiny redone Vesperia?

also is any of this dlc anything good or is it all just the standard tales fare of expensive outfits and geegaws and +3 levels?

I've only played an hour of Berseria but grapevine says it's the best of the lot; Vesperia is good-at-points at best

There's some free "DLC" that's just item packs, nothing you can't get otherwise, just bundles of common/semi-common dross; the rest is clothes and stuff, so :shrug:

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Zvahl posted:

The shiny new Vesperia is cool and all but it is very jarring that Yuri now has two different voices including when shouting arte names

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ciaphas posted:

i don't envy people who did that as dps lol

imagine seeing all that then getting blueballed for 15+ minutes waiting for the final trial to gather a group

Tank privilege, baby. Got queued in so fast it was almost seamless. :v:

I also got queued with a group of first timers so everyone was AMPED UP for that last fight.

gently caress it, I'm heading to an inn to rewatch that.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Recently there was a big FF poll in Japan with almost half a million votes and the main villain of the ShB main story got 6th place in the character rankings. That's with all characters across the entire series from the literal beginning, even Sephiroth was only at #11.

Haurchefant was #12, incidentally.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 4, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Not gonna play it again yet, still a bit burnt from going too hard in 3.1, but now I'm listening to music from the game again

(now you are toooooo. but uh, ignore the gameplay, the NPC parties are not fast, and it's the easiest dungeon in the expansion lol)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKHUcCQ65mg

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 4, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Maybe someday they’ll release those good games in a form extracted from their mmo trappings.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Kanfy posted:

Recently there was a big FF poll in Japan with almost half a million votes and the main villain of the ShB main story got 6th place in the character rankings. That's with all characters across the entire series from the literal beginning, even Sephiroth was only at #11.

Haurchefant was #12, incidentally.

Is there somewhere we can see the list? Interested to know what their thoughts are. No idea who'd rank high, Ardyn maybe since he's recent-ish?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kanfy posted:

It's cool and good and the sooner we're rid of people feeling the need to confine words like "emotionality" and "immersion" in the context of video games within ~Tildes of Detached Irony~ the better.

"immersion" has been ruined by generations misusing it as "games I liked when I was 12"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kanfy posted:

I'm glad for that and I agree

... he says while reading and writing these on forums.somethingawful.com. Boy do things change...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

shoc77 posted:

Which of the below JRPG series would you guys recommend for someone whose last played one was Final Fantasy 8 almost twenty years ago?

Trails in the sky
Trails of cold steel
Final Fantasy 9 onwards
Tales of series
Nino Kuni 2

It would be a nostalgic trip but the required hours to commit in order to finish a game of this genre these days is kinda intimidating compared to my wee self where I have all the time in the world to gorge on them.

You can't really go wrong with most of these, aside from the Tales games on Steam not being the best selection. Berseria is pretty good and I think Vesperia might be ok, avoid the other two. If anything, I'd maybe avoid the Trails series since you did mention time being an issue and those are a pretty big commitment.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tales of Berseria was entertaining to a point but I feel like anybody who has played the game should warn you it was made on a budget of like $20 and it unfortunately shows in the second half. The character writing and button mashy combat is fun, but after about 25 hours the story really begins to run out of steam as they have to find contrivance after contrivance to keep you revisiting the same four locations. It really could have done with a more focused narrative, which is true of many JRPGs, but especially one as low budget as this.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Artelier posted:

Is there somewhere we can see the list? Interested to know what their thoughts are. No idea who'd rank high, Ardyn maybe since he's recent-ish?

https://www.siliconera.com/japans-favorite-final-fantasy-game-according-to-nhks-grand-poll-is-final-fantasy-x/

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rinoa has a dog launcher and isn't on this list? Seems bad.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Rinoa has a dog launcher and isn't on this list? Seems bad.

especially considering the loving Crystal Exarch is on there at #20

I'm glad Emet-Selch is at #6 and all but :cmon:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
What’s the best way to play FFVIII anyways? I keep going back and forth on the remaster. It sounds insane and maybe it’s just nostalgia, but there’s something about the original models (the up-rezzed pc port versions) that feels more characteristic than the more genericized anime style of the remaster models.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

1. Tifa
2. Kefka
3-xxx all the rest are derivative trash if we're being honest with ourselves.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

shoc77 posted:

Which of the below JRPG series would you guys recommend for someone whose last played one was Final Fantasy 8 almost twenty years ago?

Trails in the sky
Trails of cold steel
Final Fantasy 9 onwards
Tales of series
Nino Kuni 2

It would be a nostalgic trip but the required hours to commit in order to finish a game of this genre these days is kinda intimidating compared to my wee self where I have all the time in the world to gorge on them.

I haven't played the other series but ff9 onward I would suggest X. I haven't played 9 but its beloved and 12 I need to finish I only played half. X is pretty standard but there is a lot of side stuff despite it being linear until like 50-60% through. Sphere grid is probably the best customization mechanic in all the FF games.

FF13 is even more linear than 10 but worse characters, worse music, worse bosses, awful side content that being said X is more reliant on the sphere customization/side content + grindy. FF13 has almost 0 grind and the combat system is fun but it starts only being good after like 10 hours in.

FFXV is awful don't play it. The combat is bad with 0 depth, you can literally just spam the same move and beat the entire game. The story is more interesting than 13 and 10 but it doesn't go anywhere after the mid point and a lot of the story bits were cut out. Like the first half of the game is decent, it's basically monster hunter with a bunch of friends, camping, finding new recipes, fishing, truly epic and the game is drop dead gorgeous on pc but then a major plot point happens and you have to go save the world. Like atleast FF13's combat is decent especially in the end game, FFXV's combat systems are super simple but under-explained? and you don't even need to use them to beat 99% of the game.

Also like I said the story has been cut in many places, if you want to know the full story of FFXV, you need to play 3 DLC pieces, watch 2 5 episode animes, play a side scrolling prologue mobile game, read a novel, I might have forgot some other extra stuff. Of course you don't need to do all of that to understand the story's basic but it was just to make a point of how convoluted FFXV is. It's a lot of good ideas but none of them are fleshed out or stand out.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

One cool detail about that vote was that it was practically even-split between female and male voters, 49.2% women and 50.8% men.

Also some pretty interesting divides between individual games on that front, of the people who voted XV as their favorite whopping 72% were women (and with XI it was 72% men). VII and IX also had female majorities while the older IV and V had significant male majorities when it came to votes.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Gen Z doesn't give a poo poo about FF.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Call Your Grandma posted:

1. Tifa
2. Kefka
3-xxx all the rest are derivative trash if we're being honest with ourselves.

Kefka's just the Joker.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

exquisite tea posted:

Tales of Berseria was entertaining to a point but I feel like anybody who has played the game should warn you it was made on a budget of like $20 and it unfortunately shows in the second half. The character writing and button mashy combat is fun, but after about 25 hours the story really begins to run out of steam as they have to find contrivance after contrivance to keep you revisiting the same four locations. It really could have done with a more focused narrative, which is true of many JRPGs, but especially one as low budget as this.

this is what I'd heard as well and it's why I was wary of it, because the trappings look really cool and I know everyone liked it more than Zestiria but that was a low bar

I went with Vesperia for a known quantity since I'm already just doing comfort food gaming this year anyway, and if Persona 5 Royal managed to suck away 150 hours then I suppose other remasters at least deserve a shot

also 428 shibuya scramble since it finally hit $10 and I've heard nothing but good about it, thanks golden week sale~

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Kennel posted:

Gen Z doesn't give a poo poo about FF.

If you're turning 18 this year then the only mainline Final Fantasies you were alive for have been FFXIII and FFXV, that's it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Eh I wonder what the demographics would be for X-2? XV is just a bunch of dudes being cool and looking handsome, heck Gladiolus is basically shirtless in his default outfit..

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Ulio posted:

Eh I wonder what the demographics would be for X-2? XV is just a bunch of dudes being cool and looking handsome, heck Gladiolus is basically shirtless in his default outfit..

x-2 is the best final fantasy

signed most gay men i've met and also me, the gayest

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Zvahl posted:

x-2 is the best final fantasy

signed most gay men i've met and also me, the gayest

:yeah:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is there really a final fantasy character named emmett belch

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Cloud is the best final fantasy has managed, huh?

e: I saw some clips of antifa Barret from the remake and he 100% should be #1.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I wrote a bunch of stuff regarding the FF14 early game revamp then hit ctrl z and lost it :<

I still believe it's worth it to suffer through ARR just to get to Heavensward and then Shadowbringers (even if ARR is not actively bad, it's just... kinda bland), but considering the early game revamp is coming probably in July, I'll echo exquisite tea and recommend you hold out until then if you're interested in the game at all.

Also play with people. The community for the game is all sorts of awesome, so just jump in one of the goon FCs (guilds), we take good care of our sprouts.

FF12 Zodiac Age is fantastic though and I'll whole heartely recommend everyone plays it.

Ciaphas posted:

especially considering the loving Crystal Exarch is on there at #20

YOU TAKE THAT BACK.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
If FF14 were a single player game series it would be the greatest game of all time. Shadowbringers was one of the best roller coaster rides I've ever been on.

I liked the trials, hated having to group with randos.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Givin posted:

If FF14 were a single player game series it would be the greatest game of all time. Shadowbringers was one of the best roller coaster rides I've ever been on.

I liked the trials, hated having to group with randos.

Ya i've heard from so many friends with similar taste to me that FFXIV is amazing and they are not even big mmorpg fans. I been trying to see some story playthrough on youtube or something but haven't found anything that is not too long. With summer beginning soon, I really don't want to start an MMO.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

YOU TAKE THAT BACK.

He's poo poo, OP. He's poop from a butt.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Well, THIS summer is a great summer for an MMO. :(

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Finally getting around to playing Cloudpunk and I'm enjoying it as a chill little cyberpunk euro truck simulator. The VA is bad, but I'm kind of enjoying that too somehow, it reminds me of the lesser NPCs in Deus Ex.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
No, FF14-ARR is actively bad, sorry. You also have to play through Heavensward (mostly good I guess?) and Stormblood (bad) to reach Shadowbringers or pay another $40 to skip ahead to the most recent expansion. I know some people adore FF14 but come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

orcane posted:

No, FF14-ARR is actively bad, sorry. You also have to play through Heavensward (mostly good I guess?) and Stormblood (bad) to reach Shadowbringers or pay another $40 to skip ahead to the most recent expansion. I know some people adore FF14 but come on.

I'd say it's more that ARR has actively bad parts. Plenty of people enjoyed the game before it had expansions, but the expansions are definitely better (and importantly more focused) experiences.