Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mystes posted:

Anticheat software does really crazy stuff that you aren't supposed to do, which is why it keeps breaking new versions of windows. I'm surprised Microsoft even allows them to continue doing these things but I guess they're worried it would hurt the pc gaming market.

yeah, I've been involved in the development of anticheat software before, and despite only ever doing user mode stuff we still did some frankly wonky stuff to catch people doing dumb things to our game. it worked because very few people were willing to shell out for crazy poo poo like pcie cards that gently caress with the game's memory by busmastering and DMAing poo poo you tell it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

oh hey , a secfuck thread that lived to see the yospos page

you don't see that every day

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

gently caress, terrible snipe on my part

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
just use server-side behavioural anticheat to catch blatant speedhacks and aimbots and the like

if someone's hacking to give themselves an edge, but are doing it so subtly that nobody they're playing against notices, who gives a poo poo?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Jabor posted:

just use server-side behavioural anticheat to catch blatant speedhacks and aimbots and the like

if someone's hacking to give themselves an edge, but are doing it so subtly that nobody they're playing against notices, who gives a poo poo?

Gamers will absolutely lose their poo poo at an imperceptible (or imagined) advantage.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Achmed Jones posted:

I just make up some nonsense that could be plausible. like for my childhood dog's name it might be "sir boddington fluffpaws, duke of the terlet". and then i put that in the password manager

Shouldn't this be "His Grace Boddington Fluffpaws" (unless you're addressing a letter in which case: "His Grace The Duke of The Terlet")?

I think "Sir" would be omitted since you only use the senior-most form of address?

:shrug:

Source: http://leh.ncl.ac.uk/PDF%27s/LEH-Classification/LEH-CLASSIFICATION7.13LORDS&LADIES.pdf

E: Unless the toilet in question is Scottish?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 2, 2020

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

i bet it's a cost thing. extra logic to detect cheats is more cpu cycles, which means maybe one less game can be hosted on a server at a time. so it's cheaper just to inject poo poo into the users kernel and add more security holes.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
server side analysis is also much more prone to false positives, in contrast with client side countermeasures

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Kazinsal posted:

most anticheats have a ring0 component. the difference with vanguard is that it loads at boot instead of on-demand so it can't be hooked at load time by cheat software

at least it pops a friendly dialogue box that says "oh btw i killed buggy_bullshit.sys, click here to learn more, click there to boot without me and run your broken garbage"

so you have to chose between rgb motherboard light software that has godmode access to all your ram for reasons they totally promise are legit dood, or you can play a shootmans game against people with only the newest $1200 a month cheating software

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i like to put "will you marry me, jennifer?" in the off-chance that the person i'm calling has that name and it makes some poor bastard's life at home total hell when he doesn't propose to her

lol

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

at least it pops a friendly dialogue box that says "oh btw i killed buggy_bullshit.sys, click here to learn more, click there to boot without me and run your broken garbage"

so you have to chose between rgb motherboard light software that has godmode access to all your ram for reasons they totally promise are legit dood, or you can play a shootmans game against people with only the newest $1200 a month cheating software

the russians used a playstation

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

yeah, I've been involved in the development of anticheat software before, and despite only ever doing user mode stuff we still did some frankly wonky stuff to catch people doing dumb things to our game. it worked because very few people were willing to shell out for crazy poo poo like pcie cards that gently caress with the game's memory by busmastering and DMAing poo poo you tell it to.

honestly i'd be very interested to hear about how this stuff works under the hood, if you ever want to make an effortpost about it and aren't bound by a bunch of NDA's or something. seems like the kind of thing that would be like those crazy eve online shenanigans where people were subtly watermarking forums so they could detect who leaked screenshots

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The lengths people will go to cheat in something that will never matter at all is crazy.

Like cheating at golf by shaving a stroke or two off the scorecard; it's opportunistic. I get that. But running around the map instantly headshotting everyone for the win in an online match that will be immediately forgotten the second it ends???

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

hurting other people is fun

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i used to cheat in CS on the college lan cause people got super mad.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Who could have guessed that Shaggar enjoys doing things to annoy other people.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i also used to go on this one NS server and wallhack the admin because he was an idiot and was absolutely convinced the 3rd party anti-cheat he had installed did something other than slow down the server.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shaggar posted:

i also used to go on this one NS server and wallhack the admin because he was an idiot and was absolutely convinced the 3rd party anti-cheat he had installed did something other than slow down the server.

wow you sure showed him

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lmao who's going to install a chinese owned CEO-literally-fart-on-female-intern video game company's kernel driver.

they can't even build an electron UI that doesn't crash every 45 minutes

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Methanar posted:

lmao who's going to install a chinese owned CEO-literally-fart-on-female-intern video game company's kernel driver.

but enough about our phones

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

they use different words in the ad

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

abigserve posted:

Like cheating at golf by shaving a stroke or two off the scorecard; it's opportunistic. I get that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yNDJH_FyN4

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Methanar posted:

chinese owned CEO-literally-fart-on-female-intern video game company

wait what

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

https://kotaku.com/top-riot-executive-suspended-without-pay-following-inve-1831084598

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
still not as bad as the guy who decided to test his employee's allergy with bees

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://siguza.github.io/psychicpaper/

lol

(short version: due to ios using different implementations of xml parsing for different modules, it is possible to craft a malformed entitlements list that will grant different privileges depending on which subsystem is examining it)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

quote:

I dubbed it “psychic paper” because, just like the item by that name that Doctor Who likes to carry, it allows you get past security checks and make others believe you have a wide range of credentials that you shouldn’t have.

:barf:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

haveblue posted:

https://siguza.github.io/psychicpaper/

lol

(short version: due to ios using different implementations of xml parsing for different modules, it is possible to craft a malformed entitlements list that will grant different privileges depending on which subsystem is examining it)

And their fix was to have more parsers, which means there's likely more of these bugs out there.

Dont assume multiple parsers for anything complicated behave identically kids.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the fix seems to be to parse it twice and abort if they differ, which is if not galaxy brain at least solar system brain

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

haveblue posted:

the fix seems to be to parse it twice and abort if they differ, which is if not galaxy brain at least solar system brain

a better approach than the 737 max 8 :v

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Phone posted:

a better approach than the 737 max 8 :v

well, no, precisely the same. it is the nature of the "aborting" people are complaining about.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Microsoft had released its own anti-cheat for windows 10, TruePlay which no one used and seems to also have quietly vanished from windows 10, there is still a non functional link for it in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/graphics-and-multimedia though.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

still not as bad as the guy who decided to test his employee's allergy with bees

this actually rules lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

this actually rules lol

https://youtu.be/QQ9VNbXUFpY

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/godaddy-notifies-users-of-breached-hosting-accounts/

lol

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Australian company Toll Group have been ransomware'd for the second time this year:

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/toll-group-suffers-second-ransomware-attack-this-year-547757

And their CIO has done a runner to another company:

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/toll-group-cio-jumps-to-tabcorp-547753

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.wired.com/story/cam4-adult-cam-data-leak-7tb/ new day new sex work site breach

Shame Boy posted:

honestly i'd be very interested to hear about how this stuff works under the hood, if you ever want to make an effortpost about it and aren't bound by a bunch of NDA's or something. seems like the kind of thing that would be like those crazy eve online shenanigans where people were subtly watermarking forums so they could detect who leaked screenshots

https://secret.club/ this is a fairly cool resource if you're into that type of stuff

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

most anticheats have a ring0 component. the difference with vanguard is that it loads at boot instead of on-demand so it can't be hooked at load time by cheat software

pretty much everything modern/useful does, excluding vac specifically. valve did just gaslight players into working for them for free, and used that to construct a cheat detection system that has detection-to-judgement time of up 18 months. some of the stuff they do is fairly cool, e.g. vacnet, but it ultimately is a slow and clunky apparatus of the sort of ussr wet-cleaning entire moscow for 1980 olympics

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://secret.club/ this is a fairly cool resource if you're into that type of stuff

every time I fall down the secret.club hole, I briefly think that it would be fun to do kernel work again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
What does VAC actually do to detect cheating?