Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
What about that guy at Starfleet that was stonewalling Bashir on the changeling virus, that led Bashir to realize Odo had been deliberately infected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

sweet geek swag posted:

That makes very little sense because Sloan clearly has some resources to keep himself semi-hidden. A more accurate read is that section 31 is probably just 10-20 people who have wormed their way into critical but not necessarily high ranking positions throughout Starfleet. They don't have any real power but are capable of going undetected and causing havoc because they have their ears to the right walls.

they probably made their convenient skulduggery-as-a-service indispensable to the sinister TNG admiral types via ross

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
s31 probably had very few agents but many more sympathizers, because there's never a shortage of assholes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i could believe that every single starfleet admiral supported them while believing they were the only one, though. starfleet admirals are always such assholes.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

s31 probably had very few agents but many more sympathizers, because there's never a shortage of assholes.

But Disco said that they had their own secret decoder badge and a whole fleet of ships!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

A significant portion of the admiralty are possessed by hostile energy-beings but the only noticeable effect is that it chills them out a bit

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Blistex posted:

But Disco said that they had their own secret decoder badge and a whole fleet of ships!

I'm sure someone has put forth this theory before, but the logical explanation would be that Section 31 used to be Starfleet Intelligence in everything including name (or at least a synonym, like "The Agency" for the CIA), but then there was some "extremism in defense of liberty", house got cleaned top to bottom, and the Section 31 name got shitcanned in favor of the more professional "Starfleet Intelligence".

Then, it was double-secret started up again as a few assholes going totally off the reservation on their own or with some unvouchered funds ( I think that's the term) appropriated by some super-rear end in a top hat Admiral who thought Starfleet needed some rules broken to ensure the Federation's safety.

But there, I think I've put more thought into it than the Disco writers. (Caveat: haven't watched the second half of S2 but I'm p sure they don't address anything like this.)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

Besides the two goons who appear with Sloan in the introductory episode, since they just seem to be muscle, Section 31 had at least three operatives that we know of.

Sloan, Vice Admiral Ross, and Dr. Julian Bashir.

I figured there were lots of people "working" for section 31 the same way Bashir was, but that the actual bureaucracy of the "organization" was run by just one man at any given time.

sweet geek swag posted:

That makes very little sense because Sloan clearly has some resources to keep himself semi-hidden. A more accurate read is that section 31 is probably just 10-20 people who have wormed their way into critical but not necessarily high ranking positions throughout Starfleet. They don't have any real power but are capable of going undetected and causing havoc because they have their ears to the right walls.

But this makes sense, too. The point is it's not a second, shadow Starfleet with its own private military. It's the ugliest, deepest Id of Starfleet that Starfleet does its best to repress as much as possible.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
*imagining bashir getting a single good character plot line ever* wow

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

*imagining bashir getting a single good character plot line ever* wow

He's one half of the "O'Brien and Bashir become pals" plot so there you go.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Star Trek is keeping my tenuous mental health juuuust in check

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pick posted:

IT'S REAL

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pick posted:

Wearing somebody’s aura like a sexy leather jacket is cool most of the time, sometimes you wanna take it off though huh?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

God the Ocampa are stupid. The episode where Kes is jumping through time and has grandkids with Paris seven years ahead, and the doctor has hair for some reason, is just really stressing the stupidness of the whole Ocampa premise

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think about that Voltaire song. Screwwww the Okampaaaaaa I wanna go hoooome

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

like how does Harry Kim not feel incredibly weird about banging Kes’s one year old daughter whom he has known since she was a baby, and is also his best friends daughter

The Voyager writers were either oblivious or giant creeps

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Ocampa are one of those scifi concepts that work best in written form where you can either thoroughly explore a bizarre premise and its disturbing consequences or briefly mention it to show how zany your setting is and let the reader use their imagination.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There's a really cruel irony in designing a species specifically so that they will mature and die throughout the course of a television show while travelling to a destination they've never known without any possibility of reaching it - and then having the showrunner decide that continuity is for cowards and it's time for that character to literally disappear so they can be replaced with a sexy cyborg.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Frog Act posted:

like how does Harry Kim not feel incredibly weird about banging Kes’s one year old daughter whom he has known since she was a baby, and is also his best friends daughter

The Voyager writers were either oblivious or giant creeps

He'd already been rejected by all the adult crewmembers. His only hope to bang was to wait for one of the kids born on the ship to grow up. He couldn't compete with Paris or Chakotay, but he has a real chance of convincing some young lady with extremely limited prospects that he's cooler than Icheb.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kes was terrible and seven was one of the few good characters on the show, mostly by default. ryan joined late enough that dodged the hell slog which ruined most of the characters and killed the souls of the cast and writers.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I’m watching Star Trek insurrection for the first time and I’ll be honest. This movie whips rear end

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
it's motherfuckin bull poo poo that captane picard did a tresspass on celris 3, killing peoplnes there, and then when he was Caught doing extrajudicial naughty, spared by doing an invassion and make threat on ships doing no pewpews, in they own McAllister C-5 Nebula. it was in their space, doin no pewpews. federation jsut used Gun it's a travesty

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Record store employee: Welcome to Suncoast, anything you are looking for?

Pakled: We are looking for things that make us go hmmm

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Record store employee: Welcome to Suncoast, anything you are looking for?

Pakled: We are looking for things that make us go hmmm

lol

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Ok movies over now. The awesome tonal whiplash of scenes where river gets shaved in a tub followed by watching an alien get his face stapled on to his skull was delightful. 8/10 quality trek movie.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pick posted:

it's motherfuckin bull poo poo that captane picard did a tresspass on celris 3, killing peoplnes there, and then when he was Caught doing extrajudicial naughty, spared by doing an invassion and make threat on ships doing no pewpews, in they own McAllister C-5 Nebula. it was in their space, doin no pewpews. federation jsut used Gun it's a travesty
do you smell toast

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Only actual good Start Trek is Inner Light everything else sucks in some way

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Only actual good Start Trek is Inner Light everything else sucks in some way

year of hell and endgame as companion pieces

no, messing with spacetime continuum isnt actually too dangerous, you just sucked at it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

what's your issue with remember me

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

don't answer, i immediately remembered it had the traveller in it.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
year of hell: it is very bad to try to use time travel to pursue a war + personal vendetta

endgame: what if we use time travel to pursue a war + personal vendetta

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
it's actually against the law to dislike A Piece of the Action, sorry you suck and are going to jail

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Do not pass Gorn, do not collect 200 quatloos

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

it's actually against the law to dislike A Piece of the Action, sorry you suck and are going to jail be wearing concrete galoshes

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

there are no bad episodes of tos. there are good episodes, goofy episodes, and goofy good episodes (these are the best)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

sweet geek swag posted:

A more accurate read is that section 31 is probably just 10-20 people who have wormed their way into critical but not necessarily high ranking positions throughout Starfleet.
Gonna turn out they all have these weird spikes sticking out of their necks.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Pick posted:

But nobody knows garak's name!

max
his name is max
that's his name

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

there are no bad episodes of tos. there are good episodes, goofy episodes, and goofy good episodes (these are the best)
I haven’t gotten to a lot of the later bad episodes in my watch-through, but The Cage is way too long

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

uhhh excuse me
i have a question
what does a shapeshifter need with a toilet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
need? nothing. want? more than you could ever imagine.