Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leavemywife posted:

I didn't think it was that bad. The reveal at the end seemed...Well, ho lee gently caress was a pretty good summary. Up until that point, it was kind of a boring drama murder mystery.

I wouldn't call it a good twist, if that's what you're saying. It's the kind of twist that relies on plot holes and casts every character as either a complete idiot or a cartoonish nutjob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

The thing I'll never understand about the Doom movie is why they made it dumber than if they had more directly adapted the premise. There's a decent horror flick to be made out of the original Doom but they made it worse in every possible way.

The whole movie should have been shot like the first person sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmN1Xk1SdwQ

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

JfishPirate posted:

Speaking of Godzilla 2014, the story writer David Callaham (also writer on Doom 2005, Expendables 1-3, an uncredited rewrite on Ant-Man 1 and two unreleased comic book films, WW84 and Shang-Chi) has been confirmed as the writer for the upcoming Hercules film. Disney has officially greenlit the project, and the Russo brothers will produce, rather than directing.

The choice here seems to point towards a PG-13 rating, following after Mulan (the first PG-13 Disney remake). I feel like a PG-13 'non-stop action' film in the vein of comic book films and The Expendables is a solid fit, though I'm a bit skeptical of just using Disney properties to make additional Marvel-style films. Someone here previously mentioned the Marvel Hercules, who is a phenomenal character, but if Disney is making a PG-13 Russo brother produced Hercules (that isn't the Marvel Hercules), odds are very dim for the Marvel Hercules to ever make more than a token film appearance in the MCU.

This wont be as good as the Rock's Hercules :(

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

got any sevens posted:

This wont be as good as the Rock's Hercules :(

That wasn't even the best Hercules movie of that year.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m watching the original Matrix with my nephew and I’d forgotten how cool the Matrix was for young me

Any word on the plot for Matrix 4?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

I’m watching the original Matrix with my nephew and I’d forgotten how cool the Matrix was for young me

Neo will learn that Kung Fu is the Dane Cook of martial arts.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Not outside of casting, no. Each of the John Wick guys is training and choreographing one sequence each, though Lana is apparently her own b-unit.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Any future Doom movie should use the gonzo "the demons are actually weapons engineered by an alien race and the centre of resistance on Earth is Mormonism because the aliens can't affect people of faith" stuff from the 90s novels

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Yeah I want the human crewed IRS tanks fighting alongside imps and cyberdemons.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

I wanna hear this take, genuinely.

Godzilla (1954) is famously a nuclear allegory, but it also invokes the fear of an unstoppable invader from Japan's defeat in World War II.

Godzilla (2014) is a "better" Godzilla movie because it lifts those themes and slaps them onto San Francisco. But it has the fundamental problem that Americans don't have the same fears. We don't fear the Bomb anymore, so that aspect was minimized and the movie is left groping for something to replace it with. They mostly settle on a vague environmental message (delivered with a nice fat MAN ARROGANT THINK CONTROL NATURE line in case you missed it) with some leftover sprinklings of nuclear, some climate change, a bit of 'wrath of the gods' and a bit of 'god doesn't register your existence'. But..we don't fear any of those things either.

Godzilla (1998) is and was criticized for dropping that, but it does so to mold itself to the fears of America, especially in the 1990s. We fear that our government cares more about getting re-elected than it does protecting us. We fear that our military is a bunch of cocky idiots who will destroy everything in their path, including themselves, to no effect. We fear that the press that's supposed to serve as a check on power is a bunch of selfish ladder-climbers who don't care who gets hurt so long as they get credit for the story. We fear being toppled from our dominance and replaced. We fear the enemy that hides in and around and under, not some unstoppable looming force because we don't believe anything is unstoppable.

G54 is the nightmares of a defeated empire, G98 is the nightmares of a victorious one. G14 is stapling the former to the latter and is thus far less relevant to America in the 21st century than G98, making 98 the better American Godzilla.

I mean, the part where the populace demands to be let back in immediately, clogging the phone lines so the heroes can't get out word that there's a second, worse outbreak coming that the leadership isn't prepared for because they're ignoring the scientists and declaring victory is more relevant now than anything in 14.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

The Clowner posted:

I wouldn't call it a good twist, if that's what you're saying. It's the kind of twist that relies on plot holes and casts every character as either a complete idiot or a cartoonish nutjob.

Oh, definitely not a good twist. I didn't mean to even imply that, my bad. It seemed to be there just for the shock of it. If any sort of seeds had been planted about it earlier, then it would have been better, but it's just so out of left field, it's like the ending of a different script was tacked on.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Either Gareth Edwards is a genius and studios keep loving up his movies, or he's such an incompetent hack that studios have to save his poo poo all the time. No in between.

Americans wanting to make another Godzilla should watch Shin Godzilla. The GOAT. Take notes.

lol if Americans remade Shin Godzilla, it would have the government have a royal rumble to decide what to do before Godzilla's next attack, and the decision would involve the president making GBS threads on his own desk in the Oval Office.

If you want a spiritual remake of Shin Godzilla, but with a western coating, you have to go German.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

lol if Americans remade Shin Godzilla, it would have the government have a royal rumble to decide what to do before Godzilla's next attack, and the decision would involve the president making GBS threads on his own desk in the Oval Office.

You say this as if it wouldn't be an entertaining movie.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

Or get Armando Iannucci to direct it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There's another live action Transformers movie in addition to the animated prequel, set for release 24 June 2022.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leavemywife posted:

Oh, definitely not a good twist. I didn't mean to even imply that, my bad. It seemed to be there just for the shock of it. If any sort of seeds had been planted about it earlier, then it would have been better, but it's just so out of left field, it's like the ending of a different script was tacked on.

That's what I thought. I think Tyler Perry has gone off the deep end

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Wasn’t there a Perry movie where a woman gets AIDS at the end and it’s treated like karmic justice?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Or get Armando Iannucci to direct it.

This is actually a legit great suggestion.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
do we really need godzilla,just let him direct a white house biopic in ten years after this blows over

that or make godzilla a guy with a jordy accent in a rubber suit

i dont even know what a jordy accent is i just want to sound knowledgeable

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Wasn’t there a Perry movie where a woman gets AIDS at the end and it’s treated like karmic justice?

every perry movie ends with a harlot punished, a good woman slapped, and usually a sermon

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've heard before that Tyler Perry is awful but basically has a captive audience being the only filmmaker to acknowledge that middle-class black people exist.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've heard before that Tyler Perry is awful but basically has a captive audience being the only filmmaker to acknowledge that middle-class black people exist.

Can't fault him for that, but I wouldn't complain if he relinquished his production company and fortune to Barry Jenkins

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/OnePerfectShot/status/1257339271591198722

I still don't know if that account is a parody by now or they are just that far up their own rear end.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

They are serious and have been hiding twitter replies all day lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How'd they think that'd go over well.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I just assumed that account was some sort of AI scraping random stills from films and posting them automatically.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Stallone just said on an IG Q&A session that he and Warner Brothers are currently in pre-production on Demolition Man 2.

I am giddy beyond belief.

Also, this:

quote:

Stallone shared more good news besides the Demolition Man sequel. He also let slip that his long-awaited James Byron Huggins’ sci-fi novel Hunter adaptation is also finally moving forward. “We’re making the movie Hunter. That’s gonna happen. That’s been in the works for like 20 years.” He didn’t mention a specific studio working on the project, but since he did buy the rights to the novel back in 2009, it’s clear Stallone is passionate about the subject matter.

But that’s not all! He also said that his 1981 Nighthawks classic action film is being remade into a streaming series. “We’re remaking [Nighthawks] as a streaming series at Universal,” Stallone told his fans. “I’m really proud of all of these things that are coming back around because they’re holding up.”

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

It was one of the biggest film twitter accounts that just did nothing but post screencaps then they were bought by FilmSchoolRejects and started pumping out self-important essays as well. I've had them blocked for years. There's a pretty good parody account active now (there used to be another one but I think it died)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gonz posted:

Stallone just said on an IG Q&A session that he and Warner Brothers are currently in pre-production on Demolition Man 2.

I am giddy beyond belief.

Also, this:

I’d be more excited if his last Rambo movie wasn’t a lovely, racist, jingoistic piece of poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What could a Demolition Man sequel possibly do? There wasn't exactly a ton of story hooks, especially over 25 years later.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ruddiger posted:

I’d be more excited if his last Rambo movie wasn’t a lovely, racist, jingoistic piece of poo poo.

And, to boot, ignoring it's hateful politics and message, it wasn't even much of an action movie.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

muscles like this! posted:

What could a Demolition Man sequel possibly do? There wasn't exactly a ton of story hooks, especially over 25 years later.

There is still his missing daughter, plus they could just have her be frozen for a long time so any actress any age is a potential co star

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If some rear end in a top hat producer is looking for an ip to attach all their complaints about sjws/millennials to then it's perfect.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

What could a Demolition Man sequel possibly do?

Give Denis Leary and Stallone 120 minutes to complain about the future society as a thinly veiled critique of millennials. Expect a hack joke about safe spaces.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Flying Zamboni posted:

Give Denis Leary and Stallone 120 minutes to complain about the future society as a thinly veiled critique of millennials. Expect a hack joke about safe spaces.

Also expect that joke to be told in a specialized area where they are free to voice their problems without repercussions, without the slightest bit of self awareness.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Still blows my mind that sir Humphrey was one of the bad guys in the movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Flying Zamboni posted:

Denis Leary: “I WANT ALL SECTIONS TO BE SMOKING SECTIONS. I WANT TO BRING BACK CORPORAL PUNISHMENT IN SCHOOLS. IM SICK AND TIRED OF THIS VEGGIE MEAT PATTIES. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO JACK OFF IN FRONT OF SOME GIRLS WHO CAME TO MY ROOM”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/vanityfair/status/1257377177961746437?s=21

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I have negative interest in whatever this will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One Perfect Shot used to post really good screenshots of movies, lots of different movies. Then it became so generic after the buyout. I noticed a severe dip in quality before knowing it got bought out.