Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Probably since she got through American schools and got an RN licence

Her dad could have been American as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

jivjov posted:

Specifically her mom. Given that Jacob calls her an "anchor baby" I think the implication is that Marta and her sister have birthright citizenship.

Seems unlikely to me that the kid has ever bothered to pay attention to whether the nurse was legal; he was looking for a slur and this (amusing and comparatively inoffensive) one popped out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

epenthesis posted:

Seems unlikely to me that the kid has ever bothered to pay attention to whether the nurse was legal; he was looking for a slur and this (amusing and comparatively inoffensive) one popped out.

Well, Harlan also only ever calls out the mother, and the rest of the Thrombys seems to believe that the whole family "came over the right way". It's Walt that confronts Marta about immigration, so either he did some digging, or Marta had confided in Meg at some point, etc.

Basically they just ran with the assumption that the Cabreras were legal until they needed some kind of dirt on her.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Was it ever even confirmed where they immigrated from? Various Thrombey family members all say different countries and I don't think Marta ever actually confirms anywhere.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

Was it ever even confirmed where they immigrated from? Various Thrombey family members all say different countries and I don't think Marta ever actually confirms anywhere.

Nope. That's part of the "joke". They all know she (and her family) is "foreign" but don't actually give enough of a poo poo about her to ask where. Of if they did ask where, it was in a "no, like, where are you really from" sense

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Its never confirmed, though Ana de Armas is Cuban herself.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
One of the things I love is the sheer glee that Chris Evans has in playing somebody who is not the straight-edge, square-jawed hero. This was foreshadowed a little bit in Thor: The Dark World. While that movie was definitely one of the "lesser lights" in the MCU, Evans was obviously enjoying playing Loki mocking Captain America.

Also, there is at least a rumor that Evans will be Orin Scrivello, D.D.S. in an upcoming remake of Little Shop of Horrors. Scarlett Johansson is equally rumored to be portraying Audrey in that movie.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 4, 2020

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

jivjov posted:

Well, Harlan also only ever calls out the mother, and the rest of the Thrombys seems to believe that the whole family "came over the right way". It's Walt that confronts Marta about immigration, so either he did some digging, or Marta had confided in Meg at some point, etc.

Basically they just ran with the assumption that the Cabreras were legal until they needed some kind of dirt on her.

Meg literally apologizes to Marta for telling the family about her mom.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

10 Beers posted:

Meg literally apologizes to Marta for telling the family about her mom.

Oh yeah, you right. My recollection was that the apology was for trying to leverage their friendship to get Marta to deny the inheritance, but yeah, it was totally for ratting on her mom

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got major Gwyneth Paltrow Goop vibes from Joni. There's no way the character wasn't written to be modelled by her.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

I got major Gwyneth Paltrow Goop vibes from Joni. There's no way the character wasn't written to be modelled by her.

Yep, Johnson confirms in the commentary that Paltrow was an inspiration for Joni

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I don't think I noticed.

https://twitter.com/Larry_Lasky/status/1235432451402428417?s=19

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Rian mentioned on the commentary that Marta's email address was a real one created for the movie so they didn't have to mock something up.

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1235060717050417154

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I saw this this afternoon, it was fun, they don't make a lot of movies like this anymore. I didn't like when it left the mansion setting (the car chase and other stuff), and it was predictable in lots of spots. It definitely deserved the success for being different, well acted and something about his shots are always so clean and well composed. It's no Clue but that's not a fair comparison.

The many references to Sherlock stories were great especially 'the strange incident of the dog barking in the night'. they aggressively barked/charged at the start of the movie so I knew there was a 2nd person sneaking around that they didn't like, they'd never bark at Marta. In the original story the 'strange incident' is that the dogs didn't bark at all, which indicated the criminal was someone they knew and liked.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Excellent Easter egg on the Blu-ray cover (spoilers, obviously).

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Niiiiice. I F-Love everything about this movie. This is probably the best, most entertaining movie I've seen in a good ten years or so.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm assuming they're just joking, but I kinda want it to be true.

https://twitter.com/KnivesOut/status/1237798337534775296

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 11, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1242217365279891456?s=19

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I just watched this for the first time since seeing it in the theaters, and I hadn't recognized Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the cop perp-walking Chris Evans at the end. Saw his name last in the credits and had to skip back to the last scene to confirm it. I thought it was an interesting little cameo, though it's probably come up in the thread already.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Meaty Ore posted:

I just watched this for the first time since seeing it in the theaters, and I hadn't recognized Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the cop perp-walking Chris Evans at the end. Saw his name last in the credits and had to skip back to the last scene to confirm it. I thought it was an interesting little cameo, though it's probably come up in the thread already.

That wasn't JGL. His cameo was the voice of the cop in the drama show that Marta's sister is watching at the beginning of the film.

Raúl Castillo is the cop walking Ransom out.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

jivjov posted:

That wasn't JGL. His cameo was the voice of the cop in the drama show that Marta's sister is watching at the beginning of the film.

Raúl Castillo is the cop walking Ransom out.

:doh:

My wife and I both thought it looked like him.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Thread is back open for discussion

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The movie was good Rian Johnson whips rear end. Also I like Michael Shannon

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've seen three films Shannon's been great in lately; Midnight Special, Shape of Water, and then Knives Out

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
K.O. cemented my opinion that Michael Shannon is our greatest living actor, but Lakeith Stanfield is right on his heels.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I rewatched this the other night and I love how you can pick up details that they put in plain sight but don't really call your attention to it.

Like, the first moment Blanc meets Marta face to face Blanc looks down and directly at Marta's shoes. Only at the end do they call attention to it, and it makes Blanc so much of a better character in that he immediately knew Marta was directly involved in the death, but didn't jump to any conclusions and saw that Marta was actually a good person.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Just watched this movie. Holy poo poo is it good.

I thought I figured out the twist very early but my smugness was dashed. Then when I thought I'd figured out the actual twist I was still wrong!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Codependent Poster posted:

I rewatched this the other night and I love how you can pick up details that they put in plain sight but don't really call your attention to it.

Like, the first moment Blanc meets Marta face to face Blanc looks down and directly at Marta's shoes. Only at the end do they call attention to it, and it makes Blanc so much of a better character in that he immediately knew Marta was directly involved in the death, but didn't jump to any conclusions and saw that Marta was actually a good person.

I love the "Richard handing Marta a plate like she's a waitress" moment, too

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pirate Jet posted:

K.O. cemented my opinion that Michael Shannon is our greatest living actor, but Lakeith Stanfield is right on his heels.

Lakeith is woefully underserved by the script, and I hope the Adventures of Benoit Blanc do him more justice as the eye-rolling Watson-esque role.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Codependent Poster posted:

He takes the time! I love that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

jivjov posted:

Everyone getting Marta's country wrong combined with a majority of them saying they wanted her at the funeral but were outvoted, thereby showing they're lying, does a real good job of showing how the family as a whole sucks too.

But I also really enjoyed how Blanc was truly a gentleman sleuth. He's a good and decent person too

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Michael Shannon is great and what usually works about him is that his characters (in the stuff I've seen him in at least) all have some sort of patheticness to them, either on the surface or buried deep inside.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Peak Shannon in “Take Shelter.” Same director as Midnight Special, I believe.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

The_Doctor posted:

Lakeith is woefully underserved by the script, and I hope the Adventures of Benoit Blanc do him more justice as the eye-rolling Watson-esque role.

I really hope Lakeith and Noah Segan return for any other Benoit adventures.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Detective No. 27 posted:

Michael Shannon is great and what usually works about him is that his characters (in the stuff I've seen him in at least) all have some sort of patheticness to them, either on the surface or buried deep inside.

Someone earlier said the nice thing about using Michael Shannon in that role was that in spite of being the sad sack to end all sad sacks, there was still a bit of menace to his performance when needed

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Shannon's small part in Cecil B Demented is amazing. I also found his elvis impression fun, too bad it was opposite spacey as nixon

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I really hope Lakeith and Noah Segan return for any other Benoit adventures.

I wouldn't worry about the return of Noah Segan in a Rian Johnson movie :haw:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

He was awesome in the fishpeople sex movie.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
He was, but that was also a pretty Shannon-by-numbers role. The way he’s still menacing while also being a pathetic little whelp in KO is phenomenal. That scene where he confronts Marta in the hallway is a masterclass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

jivjov posted:

This was apparently Don Johnson's own idea, it is a lovely touch