Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Brute Squad posted:

Well it was Flint, so you have about a 1 in 3....hahaha who am I loving kidding. :sigh:

Whelp. I got that one wrong.

https://www.abc12.com/content/news/3-charged-with-murder-of-Family-Dollar-security-guard-over-face-mask-dispute-570178991.html

:edit:
lovely snipe
feel good content
https://twitter.com/kateirby/status/1257316914310701057

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
It's an easy way to see acceleration/change in acceleration. How does yesterday compare to today? Dont overthink it.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
There has been a minor bit of confusion in the vote on the Senate floor today, as drat near everyone is masked up. The clerks get momentarily puzzled while the Senators identify themselves for the vote.

That wasn't a problem for one senator.

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1257432551683231759

Edit: https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/1257466169767821312

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 5, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

What a world we live in.

quote:

Nunes with Biss as his attorney in Virginia is suing Twitter along with anonymous people who make fun of Nunes on Twitter under the personas of “Devin Nunes’ Cow” and “Devin Nunes’ Mom.” Twitter is asking a judge to dismiss the lawsuit, and a hearing is scheduled for June.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Woofer posted:

I don’t think we would be in this position at all. The US is a really lovely country but I think we did a lot to keep things in check.

For example, having a pandemic team and a fully funded Department of Health (specifically the CDC).

There’s a reason SARS didn’t get this bad, and I don’t think it’s just because it’s not as deadly (though I don’t really know much about SARS — just comparing the US between then and now). I think the US hosed the entire world on this one. And while I don’t think one country should ultimately be responsible for what happens in another country, the United States (and just about ever western democracy, tbh) is the last country I give that pass to.

But maybe I’m a total idiot and I’m overestimating the power of a fully functioning US.

To answer this!

SARS was MORE deadly, by a magnitude of something like 10%-- as in, that's the percentage of infected people that it managed to kill. It was a scary loving pathogen that was stopped in its tracks once it reached outside of China, but it was a major problem in China when it hit, and they didn't really know what they were dealing with. SARS-CoV-2 is named what it is because it's very clearly a genetic offshoot of SARS-CoV-1 (or 'SARS Classic' as it's being called), but it's wildly more successful wrt who it infects, mostly because of its lengthy incubation period and 'silent'/asymptomatic spreading period. That's something SARS Classic lacked.

That being said: there's a good chance the US would still be in bad shape if we had a functioning government, mostly because we'd still have Fox News braying nonstop about it being a hoax, except they'd be doing it a lot more, and a lot more loudly, if the president happened to be a Democrat. Even with a pandemic team, we'd still be facing a full-on lockdown as contact tracing and test infrastructure got boosted to the extent that it needed to be, but it wouldn't be so protracted. We'd instead be in Germany's shoes, or South Korea's, if everything went 'according to plan,' though that comes with a major caveat: there'd still be assholes out in the street protesting/exacerbating things.

I forgot who said it, but SARS-CoV-2 poses unique threats to America especially due to the divisions at the ground level. That would still be the case no matter how functional the government happened to be. That said, I definitely believe that, with or without idiots exacerbating the threat, we would still be seeing far fewer infections, and way less deaths.

NYC would probably still be in trouble, though, just given that the city is packed nut-to-butt in terms of sheer density. See also: subway as the perfect method of dispersal.

EDIT: MERS is 40% fatal in those it infects, so-- that one was pretty scary when it surfaced. Thankfully, it's not anywhere near as infectious as SARS Classic/CoV-2, and the clusters tend to be relatively self-contained when they pop up. A MERS off-shoot, however-- I could see that posing problems in the future if it spins off something less deadly but more infectious. According to this episode of TWIV, however, there's a coronavirus task force being put together and lead by the woman who has studied this family of viruses more than pretty much any active researcher on the planet. It's for the purposes of studying the current pandemic, but it sounds like it'll expand to deal with the potential for MERS-2 or whatever else might be spinning up in animal reservoirs.

EDIT 2: vvv :lmao:

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 5, 2020

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Want to know how toxic the armed protests are?

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1257482269092020224

That toxic.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hannity just a beta rino

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Face-Eating Leopard Party Propagnda Minister Surprised Face Eaten By Leopards

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Want to know how toxic the armed protests are?

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1257482269092020224

That toxic.

Is Donald about to back down from psyching these people up?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I want him to don a cape Goering style

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

TFW you take your VA benefits card with you to invade Venezuela

https://mobile.twitter.com/camilateleSUR/status/1257495544538304513q

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Well, you're ~supposed~ to bring multiple forms of ID with you just in case your primary means gets stolen! :downs:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It is so unfathomably stupid that I can't tell if it's more likely to be some weirdo merc fantasy plan or if some merc was like "sure, Maduro can pay me a few thousand bucks to look like a total idiot on the TV and get some sea spray on my tactical shorts"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mlmp08 posted:

It is so unfathomably stupid that I can't tell if it's more likely to be some weirdo merc fantasy plan or if some merc was like "sure, Maduro can pay me a few thousand bucks to look like a total idiot on the TV and get some sea spray on my tactical shorts"

People do stupid poo poo for book deals, and hey, so long as there's a 0.00000001% chance that you might be able to engineer something that gets you a piece of that sweet, sweet oil money, :black101:.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Maduro is not the one signing the checks.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

:what:

https://twitter.com/SilvercorpUsa/status/1257098586409644032

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Bringing back filibusters baby

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

TFW you take your VA benefits card with you to invade Venezuela

https://mobile.twitter.com/camilateleSUR/status/1257495544538304513q

Apparently these guys weren't being paid the promised amount too, lmao.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

CommieGIR posted:

Apparently these guys weren't being paid the promised amount too, lmao.

So trump was in on it

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1257594058517684225

I can only hope that there’s some arcane secret society that will be keeping watch over Musk’s kid to make sure he doesn’t fulfill some prophecy and become Baphaelizar, Cybernetic Devourer of Worlds, or at least stop him from jamming his head up his own rear end like his dad has repeatedly done.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I can only hope that there’s some arcane secret society that will be keeping watch over Musk’s kid to make sure he doesn’t fulfill some prophecy and become Baphaelizar, Cybernetic Devourer of Worlds, or at least stop him from jamming his head up his own rear end like his dad has repeatedly done.

I hope he’s just trolling but if he isn’t, I think naming your baby crazy poo poo like that is some incredibly entitled billionaire poo poo because otherwise you’re stacking the deck against your kid in a normal public school.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Fallom posted:

Is Donald about to back down from psyching these people up?

I feel like it may not matter, it's an open question in my mind whether or not the Ersatzgruppen types are on the verge of getting away from them. I'd bet money that the Republican establishment thinks this will all just go away once it is no longer useful to business. What worries me is that a lot of nasty people are being platformed and handed ready made venues for networking, radicalizing, and recruiting.

Plutocrats always think they're in charge of their fash "allies" until suddenly they're not.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

pantslesswithwolves posted:

That kid is going to grow up thinking that sexy murder games is completely normal way to live.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I hope he Michael Jacksons his kids.

Not molest, I mean hang out a window haphazardly. He seems more like the Eric Clapton type though, just leave a window open and the problem solves itself.

Then we'll get a song about it 20 years later.

Grimes - tears from mars

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Grimes - tears from mars

gently caress

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I hope he Michael Jacksons his kids.

Not molest, I mean hang out a window haphazardly. He seems more like the Eric Clapton type though, just leave a window open and the problem solves itself.

Then we'll get a song about it 20 years later.

Grimes - tears from mars

The kid will depressurize the Mars colony building and kill them all. :unsmigghh:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Doesn't musk already have a mess of kids that he already ignores? Or am I misremembering things?

Put one musk kid on each colony ship.

E: 7 kids, one is already dead. Dude fucks, that's for sure.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
It’s always weird to me how people like Musk think that they will be able to withstand life in some inhospitable environment. The dude grew up rich and has never truly struggled in his life. He melts down when people contradict him on twitter. How does his thin skinned self think he’s surviving in the barren wastes of Mars? I know he over hypes his intellect and his actual parts in his company, but I’d think he’s smart enough to know that colonizing another planet would be pure agony.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

It’s always weird to me how people like Musk think that they will be able to withstand life in some inhospitable environment. The dude grew up rich and has never truly struggled in his life. He melts down when people contradict him on twitter. How does his thin skinned self think he’s surviving in the barren wastes of Mars? I know he over hypes his intellect and his actual parts in his company, but I’d think he’s smart enough to know that colonizing another planet would be pure agony.

Throw money at it. It solves everything.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Doesn't musk already have a mess of kids that he already ignores? Or am I misremembering things?

Put one musk kid on each colony ship.

E: 7 kids, one is already dead. Dude fucks, that's for sure.

At least the 5 from his first wife were from in vitro fertilization, so he does not indeed gently caress.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Remember, agony is subjective and he likely thinks that it being agony means he has to use a weird toilet and other people do all the sweaty parts

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

At least the 5 from his first wife were from in vitro fertilization, so he does not indeed gently caress.

Yeah, I saw that. He talks big game but is just the proto-beta.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
He's just a giant computer nerd who made some good bets during the dot com boom, so now just because he has a bunch of money, people feel obligated to listen to him.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 5, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Better him than Grimes' music, I guess.

I don't know what her music sounds like, but I'm assuming it's various shrieks mixed poorly over out of tune mixer poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A Bad Poster posted:

He's just a giant computer nerd who made some good bets during the dot com boom, so now just because he has a bunch of money, people feel obligated to listen to him.

Even worse: He's a child of people who benefited from gem farming under Apartheid and comes from a family of racists, his racist brother is on the Tesla board.

He's also so bad that the C level suite at Tesla has a higher turnover rate than some call centers. SpaceX is largely successful because Musk is kept at arms length away from the engineering decision process.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
https://twitter.com/camilateleSUR/status/1257495544538304513

For those who've not seen it, more info on the people captured in Venezuela. Apparently there's a VA card involved.

Here's an article version; https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/05/venezuela-americans-nabbed-failed-coup-plot-200505025057889.html

This seems like it should be an important thing but ehh?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Erghh posted:

For those who've not seen it, more info on the people captured in Venezuela. Apparently there's a VA card involved.

Here's an article version; https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/05/venezuela-americans-nabbed-failed-coup-plot-200505025057889.html

This seems like it should be an important thing but ehh?

I mean, over the last 40 years or so it's kind of assumed there are people with guns being paid by the US running around everywhere in Latin America, isn't it? If it turned out the CIA and DEA weren't paying contractors in Venezuela that would be more surprising.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Better him than Grimes' music, I guess.

I don't know what her music sounds like, but I'm assuming it's various shrieks mixed poorly over out of tune mixer poo poo.

She’s an eccentric but super creative musician. Her second to last album Art Angels was a pretty good listen, even if that type of music isn’t usually my cup of tea.

Her last album was a pile of self-indulgent garbage about AI and the “fun side of climate change” so I’m just gonna pretend that she quit after her last album, just like how Weezer broke up after Pinkerton.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I mean, over the last 40 years or so it's kind of assumed there are people with guns being paid by the US running around everywhere in Latin America, isn't it? If it turned out the CIA and DEA weren't paying contractors in Venezuela that would be more surprising.

Yeah but these dickheads were getting paid by the heir to the Kraft family fortune (of cheese fame). Or apparently not really getting fully paid, like a bunch of chumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edir: nope