Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

mennoknight posted:

my cousin did. I'm a heathen

LOL awesome. Like half the girls on my hockey teams growing up went to MEI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Chad Sexington posted:

I'm reminded of a Ken Dryden quote.

I don't mean to say that CBJ is a good team, but plenty of goalies have thrived or at least have been fine in that lack of structure in Florida: Craig Anderson, Lu, Tomas Vokoun, Jose Theodore.

Seems like Bob just isn't a bad team goalie.

So MAF would have been the best bad team goalie ever if he'd gotten to play on one

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Athletic has a bunch of great quotes from the 09-10 Flyers team about their cup run. A selection:

quote:

[Towards the end of the regular season]

Pronger: We also had a lot of goalie issues — injuries and rotating goalies, things like that. As is typical in Philly.

Hartnell: I remember sitting in the hot tub with Arron Asham before the [final game of the season vs. NYR] game. Ash said to me that whoever wins this game is gonna win the Cup. And then you’re like, let’s go. Let’s go and win. Got out of the hot tub and got dressed.

Timonen: So it came down to Claude Giroux and actually my buddy, Olli Jokinen. “G” scored, and I still remember Olli going for the last shot, and he almost went behind his own net to get some speed. I was like, ‘Olli, what are you doing?’

[Flyers/Devils series]
Carcillo: I kind of rimmed (the puck) around the net to Richie. And then he tried to stuff it, but (Martin) Brodeur had an answer. Everybody kind of collapsed into him, like whacking at the side of the net. I just creeped into the back door and the puck just loving squirted right on my stick. It was one of the easiest goals I’ve ever scored, but also just didn’t know what the gently caress to do, because I just scored a Stanley Cup overtime winner.

[Flyers/Bruins series]
Carcillo: When Richie knocked out Krejci, then we’re just saying, “Oh boy, let’s loving go.”

[Flyers/Habs series]
Richards: There was a conversation on the ice (after Game 5). I remember Prongs saying don’t touch (the Prince of Wales Trophy), because I think he didn’t do it in Anaheim. I remember talking to some guys who said just to grab it. To be honest, I didn’t know what I was going to do while skating up there. I’m not a superstitious guy. I don’t think that’s the reason why we didn’t win the Cup (laughs). But once I got there, I just kind of said screw it and grabbed it. We had kind of done things unconventionally all year. But when I grabbed it, I had no idea what I was even doing with it. I skated it off the ice and threw it in the trainer’s room, I think, and that was that.

Pronger: I just said, “Are you gonna grab it?” He didn’t really have an answer. So I said, “Well, then don’t.” He’s like “No, gently caress that.” I go, “OK, well, do what you want. You’re going to do what you want anyway, so go ahead.”

[Cup Finals]
Timonen: It’s funny, when I got traded to Chicago in 2015, the first thing (I see) when I walk into the practice rink, there’s a huge picture when you walk up the stairs of Kane celebrating, and you can see my name. I’m like, “What the gently caress!”

The whole read is great. Pronger and Carcillo give fantastic quotes.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

DJExile posted:

Athletic has a bunch of great quotes from the 09-10 Flyers team about their cup run. A selection:

Marked to-read

I am fascinated by Jimmy Carson's career. He came into the league scoring 141 goals and 286 points in 240 games. All in his age-18 to -20 seasons. He was included in the Gretzky deal. For whatever reason, he just couldn't maintain these totals, and was out of the league at 27. Truly fascinating.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why would the Athletic make that up? Everyone knows that season was cancelled.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Twin Cinema posted:

Marked to-read

I am fascinated by Jimmy Carson's career. He came into the league scoring 141 goals and 286 points in 240 games. All in his age-18 to -20 seasons. He was included in the Gretzky deal. For whatever reason, he just couldn't maintain these totals, and was out of the league at 27. Truly fascinating.

Ended up coming to Detroit in a trade, retired, and immediately went into finance.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

dunno which is funnier in this situation, the CBJ front office's talent-spotting or the late Bill Laurie-era Blues, where he was selling literally everything that wasn't bolted down because the NBA gave Memphis, New Orleans, and Oklahoma City teams over St Louis

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Troy Queef posted:

dunno which is funnier in this situation, the CBJ front office's talent-spotting or the late Bill Laurie-era Blues, where he was selling literally everything that wasn't bolted down because the NBA gave Memphis, New Orleans, and Oklahoma City teams over St Louis

Mike Milbury destroying the Islanders.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://twitter.com/DallasStars/status/1257688387047305217?s=20

https://twitter.com/DallasStars/status/1257705160261935105?s=20

I want to see the Stars play in Mexico.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 5, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Troy Queef posted:

It's the CBJ, because Doug MacLean was on Twitter last night denying this happened in spite of the fact there was a film crew embedded with him as it was happening and the footage lives on on YouTube.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Zodijackylite posted:

Wait, what? Rick DiPietro isn't old enough to have a kid in the NHL.

Just checked, and EP doesn't list him as such, and Rickety was 18 at the time, playing in the USHL, while Michael was born in Toronto.

Which means he's only notable for his career 7.02 GAA and .742 save percentage.

Toews is still very good, after a few down years he had 81 points last season and 60 this incomplete season. Aside from the cap hit, his 7m salary for three more years is actually pretty fair or good.

Ah, it's just a coincidence then.

I just assumed everyone with the same name and position in the NHL is related because usually they are.

If Lil Mikey ever suffers a hip injury I'm going to wonder.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's the CBJ, because Doug MacLean was on Twitter last night denying this happened in spite of the fact there was a film crew embedded with him as it was happening and the footage lives on on YouTube.

that's great. was Doug MacLean the guy who stocked his entire staff with his buddies from Atlantic Canada?

(also the Bill Laurie era of Blues ownership was amazing. 90% of it was him having a pissing contest with Stan Kroenke, who like Bill married a Walton, lived in Columbia, had a son who was a basketball star at Columbia Rock Bridge and then Mizzou, and owned sports teams. plus you got 70% of the fanbase turning on him because of the infamous Paige Sports Arena debacle.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

fisting by many posted:

Ah, it's just a coincidence then.

I just assumed everyone with the same name and position in the NHL is related because usually they are.

If Lil Mikey ever suffers a hip injury I'm going to wonder.

Or gets his jaw broken in a one punch fight

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Troy Queef posted:

that's great. was Doug MacLean the guy who stocked his entire staff with his buddies from Atlantic Canada?

(also the Bill Laurie era of Blues ownership was amazing. 90% of it was him having a pissing contest with Stan Kroenke, who like Bill married a Walton, lived in Columbia, had a son who was a basketball star at Columbia Rock Bridge and then Mizzou, and owned sports teams. plus you got 70% of the fanbase turning on him because of the infamous Paige Sports Arena debacle.)

You would be correct, known among the fan base as the Prince Edward Island Mafia.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Neat. I wanna see Mexico city win a cup before Toronto.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
The Zibanejad trade just keeps on sucking, Zib & Zub would have been good friends/have immediate chemistry :(

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

i don't know what zub is and i refuse to find out. dont' tell me

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Zip! posted:

I was listening to a goalie podcast recently and they had Steve Valiquette on. In addition to being an analyst for MSG, he also runs Clear Sight Analytics that does a lot of video analysis on scoring chances (https://www.csahockey.com/team-rankings-regular-season).

Columbus has been either the very best or in the top 3 all season of teams that limit the number of high danger scoring chances, allowing only around 10 per game. The worst team surprisingly has been New York with around 14+ chances, but they are getting absolutely bailed out by their goaltending with the 3rd best SV% against this kind of chance.

For this season?

Rangers were terrible this season at limiting chances for most of it. They got better towards the end but yeah goaltending was bailing them out. Basically if they want to improve whenver the next season is they need to keep up their improvement at limiting chances

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

DJExile posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr8VEhJ1c0k

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:

Those are some of my favorite tv spots and this is god drat gold.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Same.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

ZuluDashOne posted:

Those are some of my favorite tv spots and this is god drat gold.

This is my personal favorite

https://youtu.be/P9u81Jq20g8

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/whLIR5g.mp4

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

DJExile posted:

[Cup Finals]
Timonen: It’s funny, when I got traded to Chicago in 2015, the first thing (I see) when I walk into the practice rink, there’s a huge picture when you walk up the stairs of Kane celebrating, and you can see my name. I’m like, “What the gently caress!”

It was obviously a good motivator because he got his only Cup that season. :colbert:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

In exchange for the NHL rigging the draft for the Red Wings I am prepared to give up Justin Abdelkader.

He is banned for life.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Wubba Lubba Zub Zub

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Neodoomium posted:

In exchange for the NHL rigging the draft for the Red Wings I am prepared to give up Justin Abdelkader.

He is banned for life.

He's just gonna get sent to Grand Rapids and become a player-coach or something, like Dan Cleary.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I said banned for life, god drat it

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Neodoomium posted:

I said banned for life, god drat it

I just got woken up by a bad text from a mutual friend of Abby's, banned for life is now completely appropriate

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

DId the wings pull the plug again?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

On Abdelkader? One can only hope

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHm-gLEC3os

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I never knew it was possible to condense the entire history of the Buffalo Sabres into a single gif but here we are.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

It means hello and goodbye

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Kopecky standing up for Carter is great.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

DId the wings pull the plug again?

A woman thought that it was very urgent to mass text out some Mike Cernovich tweets, just after I fell asleep.

Time to block someone, in real life

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Does anyone remember any old hockey arguments that seem incredibly silly in retrospect.

I remember this thread really turning against a Canucks poster whose name I can't remember because of the Hodgson/Kassian deal. I mean, he was obviously right about Hodgson, but man, this deal seems to nothing in retrospect.

There's a ton of nothing players that Leafs fans have championed as a cause for a while that never went anywhere. I am pretty sure a lot of words were spent on Frank Corrado.

I remember on HFBoards that some users were arguing that Ovechkin WASN'T a Hall of Fame player after his 2nd Hart. Obviously, like, it had only been four seasons, so technically they were right that no other player with that resume had made the Hall. However, no other player with that resume retired after four seasons. It was a fun cycle of arguing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

"This Minnesota move will be good for the team" seems like a good starting point.