Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Crusty Nutsack posted:

today I tidied up the dining room which has just been a mess of random stuff. that included finally going through my dead boyfriend's stuff from his desk at work and deciding what to toss and what to keep.

on a better note, I made shrimp scampi and broccoli for dinner which rocks because it is fast, easy and super delicious :yeah:

Probably a lot: Not only did they have to do it in partial color plus the typsetting, but also Daniel Z had to fly to NY to go over their files to make sure everything was just right because of the limitatiions of doing something really weird in the year 2000.

My copy cost me $29 last year but I hear the "full" color version of the book cost >$50 upon release

Edit: whoa I picked the wrong post to quote. I'm sorry your boyfriend died

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Crusty Nutsack posted:

today I tidied up the dining room which has just been a mess of random stuff. that included finally going through my dead boyfriend's stuff from his desk at work and deciding what to toss and what to keep.

on a better note, I made shrimp scampi and broccoli for dinner which rocks because it is fast, easy and super delicious :yeah:

I totally misread that as scampi and broccoli with rocks, which was honestly only the second most alarming part of that post.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm channeling my inner Catastrophe and sinking into a numbed state of frantic despair.

Nothing to do with covid tho. If there wasn't a global pandemic ravaging society to distract me I'd probably be in trouble hahaha gently caress

naem
May 29, 2011

I’m enjoying car ownership, I didn’t realize how much time I spent on public transit (although it saved me a ton of money the last two years)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm finishing up a giant graduate paper today. I'm coming up a bit short in the word count so I'm trying to decide if I should just let it go and hope my professor doesn't care, or find a point somewhere in the middle that I can ramble on about some more.

naem posted:

I’m enjoying car ownership, I didn’t realize how much time I spent on public transit (although it saved me a ton of money the last two years)

Do your own maintenance. It's extremely rewarding, and saves money.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

spacetoaster posted:

I'm finishing up a giant graduate paper today. I'm coming up a bit short in the word count so I'm trying to decide if I should just let it go and hope my professor doesn't care, or find a point somewhere in the middle that I can ramble on about some more.

Do your own maintenance. It's extremely rewarding, and saves money.

50% Desperation: 61->73 words

quote:

I''m finishing up a giant graduate paper today in a major way. I'm coming up a bit pretty short in the word count so I'm trying to for all intents and purposes decide if I should just generally let it mostly go and hope my professor doesn't care, or find a point somewhere in the middle that I can ramble on about some more, which is fairly significant.

Do your definitely own maintenance. It's extremely rewarding, and saves money, or so they thought.

100% Desperation: 61->137 words

quote:

I''m finishing up a giant graduate paper today, or so they for all intents and purposes thought. I'm coming up a bit definitely short in the word count so I'm trying to mostly decide if I should just really let it actually go and hope my professor doesn't care, or kind of find a point somewhere in the middle that I can really ramble on about some much more in a subtle way.

Do really your kind of own maintenance, showing how actually do pretty your actually own maintenance, which essentially is quite significant. It's extremely rewarding, and saves money, so really do particularly your basically own maintenance, showing how for the most part do particularly your own maintenance in a definitely major way.

http://www.textinflator.com/

E: to clarify: this tool is clearly garbage but padding/shrinking text is a great skill to have and practise.

Moo the cow fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 5, 2020

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Any decent instructor is going to prefer a more succinct paper anyway

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Drunk Nerds posted:

Edit: whoa I picked the wrong post to quote. I'm sorry your boyfriend died

that would explain why I was super confused when I read this last night. I figured it was the nyquil :shrug:

Bees on Wheat posted:

I totally misread that as scampi and broccoli with rocks, which was honestly only the second most alarming part of that post.

maybe that's why I'm gaining weight lately...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Moo the cow posted:

quote:

I''m finishing up a giant graduate paper today, or so they for all intents and purposes thought. I'm coming up a bit definitely short in the word count so I'm trying to mostly decide if I should just really let it actually go and hope my professor doesn't care, or kind of find a point somewhere in the middle that I can really ramble on about some much more in a subtle way.

Do really your kind of own maintenance, showing how actually do pretty your actually own maintenance, which essentially is quite significant. It's extremely rewarding, and saves money, so really do particularly your basically own maintenance, showing how for the most part do particularly your own maintenance in a definitely major way.

E: to clarify: this tool is clearly garbage but padding/shrinking text is a great skill to have and practise.

AAAAHHHHHHHHH

I was semi-supervising a coworker who had his master of science and apparently didn't retain any of the writing skills they taught him. Horrific abuses of logic, flow and the concept of building a coherent narrative were regular features. On top of that the guy just jammed words wherever he may have liked, however, whereas he could have simply, easily inserted any number of words that may have, possibly reduced the total word count by half, if not more.

Editing his work felt like someone was deliberately derailing my train of thought. Get halfway though a sentence, stop, back up, read it again, edit it a few times... delete the whole thing and rewrite it. Over and over.

Despite having a decade of experience on him I only have a BSc so he just dismissed everything I said. I don't care how many letters you've got, until you've got a few years actually working in an industry you work is probably going to be dogshit. Also he hadn't heard of endnote or any other citation manager. He did all of his citations by hand. What in the actual gently caress.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Good writing can be learned, but I think most of it comes down to innate talent or spending a lifetime reading and writing. If your only extracurricular reading growing up was Harry Potter, you probably just haven't engaged with writing enough to be great at it. Even an MS program can only do so much (and they have little to no writing instruction outside of maybe your advisor/committee sending you scattered edits on your thesis). I teach undergrad writing, but what I hear from other faculty most of the time is that they need my help with their grad students.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

*reads Cormac McCarthy*

gently caress punctuation

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It's not burnt, Detroit style always looks like that it's caramelization.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Been drinking gin cocktails and swimming in a pool all day. Good day. ^gently caress that pizza looks good. Not burnt.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

That reminds me. Made that pizza this weekend.

I cut the recipe in half to only make 1 pie. I let the dough sit for ~20 hours; had to add at least 1/4 cup flour at that point - it was way too wet.

But good pizza, well-received. Thanks thread for the inspiration.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
God drat. These pizzas. :stare:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

do you normally finish those deep dish pies under the broiler or is the ambient temp in the oven enough to toast them on top like that?

I would guess you'd cook them longer and lower than a thinner pizza you'd do on a stone and then broil the tops to finish, but I don't make 'em like that so I'm heh...pie curious (that just came to me)

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

do you normally finish those deep dish pies under the broiler or is the ambient temp in the oven enough to toast them on top like that?

I would guess you'd cook them longer and lower than a thinner pizza you'd do on a stone and then broil the tops to finish, but I don't make 'em like that so I'm heh...pie curious (that just came to me)

No broiler for me. I did put the pan on the burner, medium heat for 1 minute because I was worried about the bottom crust, but it was perfect.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Any decent instructor is going to prefer a more succinct paper anyway

I agree with you. However, I get the distinct impression that he reads the first sentence, the conclusion, and then checks the word count and throws a grade on it.

*edit* I think I'm just going to quote some stuff from the books.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 6, 2020

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ah gently caress I made two pizzas but forgot to take pictures. I mean who cares but still. They weren't pan pizzas though. I have a stone.

naem
May 29, 2011

I ordered grocery delivery and I realize I’m compulsively keeping the same couple months worth of food in the apt at all times which prob isn’t necessary at this point (right?)

also I’ve successfully had tp and grownup baby wipes delivered the last three deliveries so I’ve got like a lot, it’s me, i’m the problem now

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Ah gently caress I made two pizzas but forgot to take pictures. I mean who cares but still. They weren't pan pizzas though. I have a stone.

I care. :(

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What the gently caress man?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I ate the pizzas

I mean, I had help.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Question. Can you get get any old piece of marble or granite from a kitchen cabinetry place (like their left over or offcut stuff) and throw it in the oven and get better results?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

well you're not gonna get marble or granite regardless of if it's 'scrap' for a pizza stone cheaper than you would a purpose made one, I mean hell it's a brick to retain heat. You can use unglazed ceramic tile for it

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I broke my pizza stone a few years ago and bought a cast iron pizza pan for thinner crust pizza. I dont know if it is any better or worse than the stone but so far I've been digging it.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I'm gonna install OpenBSD -current on my laptop this weekend. Then those jerks in YOSPOS will see that it's the year of BSD on the desktop. THEY'LL ALL SEE

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Buddy I just bake with the things

Part of the point is that it's porous, so that's something to think about

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

olives black posted:

I'm gonna install OpenBSD -current on my laptop this weekend. Then those jerks in YOSPOS will see that it's the year of BSD on the desktop. THEY'LL ALL SEE

Last time I tried Ubuntu like 10 years ago it was surprisingly usable and sorta... good? But no games, and that dog won’t hunt

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Steam works great on that version of Ubuntu just take the laptop into the bathroom and turn on the shower

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Last time I tried Ubuntu like 10 years ago it was surprisingly usable and sorta... good? But no games, and that dog won’t hunt

It's excellent now. Totally a replacement for Windows for day-to-day stuff. Also plays a lot more games now.

However, I have control freak and old-school tech fetish itches that only a minimalistic and notoriously cranky operating system can scratch atm.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Every dime I've billed for the past five years has been developed for on Linux and not a penny less due to it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Bless those open source curmudgeons, they’re doing it, looks like 2020 is the year of Linux on the Desktop :dadjoke:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

grillster posted:

Every dime I've billed for the past five years has been developed for on Linux and not a penny less due to it.

Linux is good

grillster posted:

Steam works great on that version of Ubuntu just take the laptop into the bathroom and turn on the shower
:v:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Big Beef City posted:

well you're not gonna get marble or granite regardless of if it's 'scrap' for a pizza stone cheaper than you would a purpose made one, I mean hell it's a brick to retain heat. You can use unglazed ceramic tile for it

I can get it for free.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Made a quinoa and spinach salad with crispy pork and a tahini, lemon and mustard dressing. Pretty grouse really. Haven't had vitamins in a while.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Getting pretty fed up at work, that's what I'm doing. Boss has decided now is a good time to work through a bunch of maintenance/upgrades since we have less users in the building. Oh, vendor support is reduced during a quarantine you say? gently caress it!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
When I worked at google we used a version of Ubuntu called Goobuntu. :haw: I messed around with different Linux distros many years ago including drat Small Linux at another job that I could just plug in and go do whatever I wanted to the work computer with.

I made a pot roast tonight. Sort of. I thought I'd be smart and add the potatoes/onions/carrots halfway through the 8 hour planned cook time. Well they weren't cooking AT ALL for 4 loving hours. So I went 2 hours longer before I finally gave up and started eating it 20 minutes ago because it's almost midnight right now. So I had an overcooked roast with undercooked vegetables. And it barely had any flavor.

I'm really upset. :(

Now I have that leftover tri-tip and now also this pot roast that I want to try to repurpose. I don't know what to do with them. My cooking endeavors are not going well lately.

naem
May 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Outrail posted:

Made a quinoa and spinach salad with crispy pork and a tahini, lemon and mustard dressing. Pretty grouse really. Haven't had vitamins in a while.

I was just browsing a book about how quinoa is bad for you because it has lectins or something