Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the rooftop was absolutely brutal for the bbbws but if you have a throwing weapon those are always great, listen for the rear up and toss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Of course I beat the level my very next session after bitching about it. Works like a charm every time.

I even beat some sort of secret boss fight that I got sucked into when somebody threw me into an arcade machine.

E: I’m sure it was all your advice. Thanks a bunch.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 6, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

Of course I beat the level my very next session after bitching about it. Works like a charm every time.

I even beat some sort of secret boss fight that I got sucked into when somebody through me into an arcade machine.

well that's a new one

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Thanks for the tips everyone, I was having similar problems and googling 'biker BBWs' returned nothing but a series of unrelated short documentary films featuring variable cinematic quality and universally poor commentary.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Frankston posted:

Call the Cops is so goddamn good, I'm glad this series continued the trend of having slammin' music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1UkE4SpZYU

The Police Precinct stage in general is probably my favorite stage in all of Streets of Rage. The music for it surprised the hell out of me the first time through.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mercury Crusader posted:

The Police Precinct stage in general is probably my favorite stage in all of Streets of Rage. The music for it surprised the hell out of me the first time through.

It's such a great level. It's got massive combo potential and minimal surprises outside of tasers. It's a good time on manic. You get to beat up A LOT of cops.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

lorechat: why are we fighting both the crooked cops AND the crooks? They clearly don't like each other. Should we not form an alliance with the crooks?

Or as renegade cops are we the worst of both worlds

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

lorechat: why are we fighting both the crooked cops AND the crooks? They clearly don't like each other. Should we not form an alliance with the crooks?

We practice 3rd Way of the Fist.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Are you seriously telling me that you want to beat up less people? :colbert:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

okay someone tell me what I'm doing wrong with the double robots on Y island. They are killing me at two loving lives

and then donovan comes in with the SURFACE TO AIR MISSILES and there's nowhere I can go

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

okay someone tell me what I'm doing wrong with the double robots on Y island. They are killing me at two loving lives

and then donovan comes in with the SURFACE TO AIR MISSILES and there's nowhere I can go

Catch them both and juggle. When not being offensive, be defensive. Their jump often comes as a one two which is an opportunity to beat one of both into a wall and commence robot decommissioning.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I can't decide if calling them BBBWs or Fat Bottomed Girls is funnier

I did absolutely terrible on a level, like walked out with barely a life left and used all but one star, and got a B

I know I've done better before and gotten a shittier score and my combos aren't that sexy, it is a mystery

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

JBP posted:

I love this game but the start of Y Tower is hot garbage.

I've been stuck on Y Tower on Mania for a couple days now. It's just absolutely ridiculous how perfectly you have to play each screen, and then the elevator isn't a cakewalk either.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

I've been stuck on Y Tower on Mania for a couple days now. It's just absolutely ridiculous how perfectly you have to play each screen, and then the elevator isn't a cakewalk either.

My beef is that the slippy floor isn't fun. I'm trying to roll up a high score on hardest and you lose enemies to them sliding then they move with total accuracy to kick you after. It's just annoying and sucks. Let me beat these goons to death with style instead of having to throw like a manic, game.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Alan Smithee posted:

It works on Shin Megami Tensei rules. If you pick Neutral, BOTH Law and Chaos want to kill you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

JBP posted:

My beef is that the slippy floor isn't fun. I'm trying to roll up a high score on hardest and you lose enemies to them sliding then they move with total accuracy to kick you after. It's just annoying and sucks. Let me beat these goons to death with style instead of having to throw like a manic, game.

The endless ninjas who slide in with that lovely triple kick piss me off so much. And it's basically unreactable and does a shitload of damage on a floor when all you've got are 3 apples and almost certainly have to save your star move for that double Goro + Condor pack.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's weird to think that it's animal cruelty that pisses Shiva off enough that he takes it to the streets. AFTER losing most of his students to the Ys.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

The endless ninjas who slide in with that lovely triple kick piss me off so much. And it's basically unreactable and does a shitload of damage on a floor when all you've got are 3 apples and almost certainly have to save your star move for that double Goro + Condor pack.

Yeah absolutely. The trick is to throw into everyone, use whatever your big mobility is to reposition on the other side and then repeat. It's loving boring.

Although on the final screen there's a pillar you can turn into a protected unlimited juggle zone.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I’ve had luck saving the mop for the e Honda mfers in the locker room

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You have to save the mop for the red Goros, but the white Goros are what you have to burn a star move on. If you go all the way to the right side of the screen as they spawn you can usually get both in a wall combo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just keep throwing.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

JBP posted:

Just keep throwing.

This. You can grab and throw through either the charge or parry state. Even attack some, but just throw more.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

How do you all deal with the gi wearing karate blokes

They do that perfect block into counter and it wrecks me all the time

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Beasteh posted:

Throw them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

JBP posted:

Just keep throwing.

yeah grapple city with those guys

it's not bad when you figure out how to approach him vertically

problem is the kickboxer means staying out of their lanes of pain gets harder

Beasteh posted:

if you fight just one you can approach from the vertical safely, they'll back up on the x axis of course but keep going til they hit a wall or stop

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
Any ideas how to deal with the twin snake ladies bosses?

Especially during the later stages where they keep spamming their aoe ground flames/acid :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

JBP posted:

Just keep throwing.

I thought Y Tower was really tough on Hardest but Mania is just on a whole other stupid level. You can throw all day but nothing can save you from a screen full of 7 ninjas who are all spamming jump kicks at you from fullscreen. It's just way overtuned.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

shoc77 posted:

Any ideas how to deal with the twin snake ladies bosses?

Especially during the later stages where they keep spamming their aoe ground flames/acid :(

when they aren't flashing you can grapple, very very racquetball material

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

For Twin Snake ladies, I am pretty sure they lose the close range kick move that Diva had, so you only worry about two moves, they're ground elemental and their linear horizontal poke.

I'd recommend focusing on the fire lady first, because her ground attack is instant damage, and so is her poke. Even if you get caught off guard by poison lady, her ground attack is damage over time that can be recovered, and a Scorpion get over here that does no (or minimal) damage.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

exquisite tea posted:

I thought Y Tower was really tough on Hardest but Mania is just on a whole other stupid level. You can throw all day but nothing can save you from a screen full of 7 ninjas who are all spamming jump kicks at you from fullscreen. It's just way overtuned.

Which ninjas? You mean the kickboxers?

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Sounds like the Orange Cassidy Iron Fist guys.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Oh god I finally beat it. Must have taken me at least 200 attempts over the past 2.5 days, no joke. There are just so many things that can wipe you, so many. The one saving grace is that the boss is easy as poo poo, if you can get to him.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I beat it last night too. The final boss is easier than I’d have thought.

Beat most of the game with Floyd. Time to go back for the others.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

exquisite tea posted:

Oh god I finally beat it. Must have taken me at least 200 attempts over the past 2.5 days, no joke. There are just so many things that can wipe you, so many. The one saving grace is that the boss is easy as poo poo, if you can get to him.

Y Tower is absolutely the hardest part of the game, so grats! It definitely encourages you to strongly play for a 4k combo early on because an extra life quick goes SO FAR in it. If you can get that down consistently it's a lot less threatening.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I can't beat the Y Tower on Normal with anyone other than Floys, I feel like such a failure. :negative:

At least throwing dudes off the elevator feels good.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I can't beat the Y Tower on Normal with anyone other than Floys, I feel like such a failure. :negative:

At least throwing dudes off the elevator feels good.

Have you tried the SOR1 characters? They don't have a lot to work with but their normal attacks are bulldozers.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

SOR2 Max is sooo much fun

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I would pay money for DLC featuring an endless version of the elevator ride, throwing people off of it is funny as hell.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Xenomrph posted:

I would pay money for DLC featuring an endless version of the elevator ride, throwing people off of it is funny as hell.

This. Just that part of Y Tower in a Survival-type mode with four players would be impossibly loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It is finished. :negative:

The only upside to Y Tower Mania is that the last few chapters were a breeze comparatively. I don't even know what kind of impossible skill and luck it would take to S Rank most of these stages. Now that I've proven my true beatemup credentials I can go back to blasting through co-op on Normal.