Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Lol

https://youtu.be/ZmUNs2fG7d0

pop fly to McGillicutty fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

GolfHole posted:

uhhh excuse me
i have a question
what does a shapeshifter need with a toilet

He keeps things around that he wants to imitate.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Universe Master posted:

He keeps things around that he wants to imitate.

Oh buddy, he doesn't imitate the toilet, he becomes the water

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ever watch a couple of episodes more or less at random and accidentally have a theme night?

Yesterday we watched Allegiance, AKA the one where Picard is held prisoner by aliens studying the concept of authority). Then later on we landed on The Savage Curtain, AKA the one where Kirk and Spock (and Abraham Lincoln and Genghis Khan) are held prisoner by aliens studying the concept of good and evil. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

I hadn't seen The Savage Curtain in a long time, and I'd forgotten how goofy it gets. But it finally occurred to me this time that I don't know what the title refers to. Is it like a theater curtain, for the whole "the stage is set for the play" metaphor that the Excalbian mentioned?

e:
:geno: "Spock. Help me, Spock."

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 5, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

need? nothing. want? more than you could ever imagine.

Who among us can say we've experienced a poo poo from the perspective of shitter and shitted simultaneously? We are poorer for its lack.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The best part of Allegiance is the Picard copy being weird on the Enterprise

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

there are no bad episodes of tos. there are good episodes, goofy episodes, and goofy good episodes (these are the best)

ehhhhhhhhhh

The Lights of Zetar is really dull.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I haven’t gotten to a lot of the later bad episodes in my watch-through, but The Cage is way too long

I dunno if The Cage counts. IMHO we're lucky to have even seen it.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

Ever watch a couple of episodes more or less at random and accidentally have a theme night?

Yesterday we watched Allegiance, AKA the one where Picard is held prisoner by aliens studying the concept of authority). Then later on we landed on The Savage Curtain, AKA the one where Kirk and Spock (and Abraham Lincoln and Genghis Khan) are held prisoner by aliens studying the concept of good and evil. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

I hadn't seen The Savage Curtain in a long time, and I'd forgotten how goofy it gets. But it finally occurred to me this time that I don't know what the title refers to. Is it like a theater curtain, for the whole "the stage is set for the play" metaphor that the Excalbian mentioned?

e:
:geno: "Spock. Help me, Spock."

I love when episodes stack up like this, like with most of trek it works really well and is cool classic sci fi and then with Voyager you get year of hell vs endgame where the conclusion is totally opposite for the dad from that 70s show vs Janeway

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm watching The Maquis two-parter and drat it's got some great Dukat banter. Plus Quark managing to out-logic a Vulcan.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
If you only went by what happened on screen, out-logicing a Vulcan is a pretty low bar to clear

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
We’ve been watching Star Trek as a family and my seven year old just referred to the Captain’s chair as “the decider chair.” I’m not going to correct her.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I watched Booby Trap while drunk last night and it was good. I regret my previous words.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Except for the Geordi poo poo. That should have been taken out

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Are you kidding? The Geordi poo poo will end up being the most prescient thing in the entire franchise.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

McSpanky posted:

Are you kidding? The Geordi poo poo will end up being the most prescient thing in the entire franchise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Applewhite posted:

If you only went by what happened on screen, out-logicing a Vulcan is a pretty low bar to clear

Quark outlogics everybody. He best the wormhole aliens dammit

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

Quark outlogics everybody. He best the wormhole aliens dammit

quark is also the most consistently devout character in the series. one of the weirder aspects of making Ferengi profit-seeking behavior inherently religious is that the show kinda fails to adequately explore why quark's religion is stupid but bajoran religion is dignified. especially because bajoran religion is caste systems, shutting down schools, and civil wars, and quark's is just wanting a "post-scarcity" society to compensate him for goods and services

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Geordie didn't really do anything creepy in that episode. He asks the computer for a simulation of the expert to help him with on a problem, he asks the computer to give the simulation more of a human personality so he can have a better conversation to bounce ideas back and forth. He solves the problem this way. The computer hits on him.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Geordie didn't really do anything creepy in that episode. He asks the computer for a simulation of the expert to help him with on a problem, he asks the computer to give the simulation more of a human personality so he can have a better conversation to bounce ideas back and forth. He solves the problem this way. The computer hits on him.

Holo-Brahms would've thrown herself at Riker if it was his simulation, and would've self destructed if it was Barclays.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I was watching DS9 and my 4 year old son walked in and said, "dad, why does that alien have a butt on his head?"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

that's not a butt son, it's alexander.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Holo-Brahms would've thrown herself at Riker if it was his simulation, and would've self destructed if it was Barclays.
I wonder how far the holodeck AI goes to accomodate your personality and flatter you. I always figure, like JOI in Blade Runner 2049, it's got to be hardwired to upsell you and your merits. Riker probably can't even play the trombone, the jazz club is just the 24rd century's version of Guitar Hero.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

that's not a butt son, it's alexander.

Wait, so he was right then.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

The hilarious thing about this episode is that if you take out the Geordie stuff, there would literally be no one on the Enterprise working on a solution to their imminent life and death problem.

On a crew of a thousand people...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It helps if you remember that absolutely no one on the crew, including Geordie, knows how anything on the Enterprise functions.

Like, every goddamn day they're just out there throwing poo poo at the wall until something works. It's usually stuff that should be in the manual, but either they don't have one, or it's as useless as the crew is.

It's not entirely surprising because the computer that runs the ship is essentially a genie, and they spend half their time figuring out how to very specifically ask it to do things in a way that doesn't create a brand new sentience or hurl them across the galaxy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Bucswabe posted:

The hilarious thing about this episode is that if you take out the Geordie stuff, there would literally be no one on the Enterprise working on a solution to their imminent life and death problem.

On a crew of a thousand people...

I'd be working on my experiment about do rats have friends and reading a good old Earth book from the 20th century I mean it's not like there's a news service or Picard makes a public announcement how they're all about to be killed by an ancient booby trap

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

I'd be working on my experiment about do rats have friends and reading a good old Earth book from the 20th century I mean it's not like there's a news service or Picard makes a public announcement how they're all about to be killed by an ancient booby trap

Hahaha! Isn't this also the episode where the computer is precisely counting down the minutes until everyone is killed by radiation exposure?

Must be a tough time at the ship daycare...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bucswabe posted:

Hahaha! Isn't this also the episode where the computer is precisely counting down the minutes until everyone is killed by radiation exposure?

Must be a tough time at the ship daycare...

I get the feeling that the Computer only broadcasts stuff like that to the critical crewed sections of the ship like the Bridge and Engineering. There's probably days where most of the crew and passenger complement only learn JUST how close they came to death well after the fact.

"So, I just got done fixing these relays in a junction box for the past four hours.... The ship was captured by What?! Well I guess I'll talk to my buddy over poker about it tonight, he had a shift at the helm today, so he'll probably have a good story about all this.... What?! Oh... :smith:"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Imagine being a daycare teacher on your first day on the Enterprise, just back from the briefing where they told you what red alert means and you figure, okay, pretty intense, but surely it's one of those things you need to know on a ship like this but no one anticipates an actual emergency

and it just keeps going off

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Also picard has a philosophical crisis about letting the autopilot take them out of the asteroid field (I have to assume it loving got them in there) and decides to do it himself with touch controls. I don't think whoever wrote that was very familiar with airliners

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Imagine being a daycare teacher on your first day on the Enterprise, just back from the briefing where they told you what red alert means and you figure, okay, pretty intense, but surely it's one of those things you need to know on a ship like this but no one anticipates an actual emergency

and it just keeps going off

I wonder if it's anything like the fire alarm in my building and half the time the bridge never makes an announcement after ending the red alert saying what it was about.

Did we almost burn up in a horrific fire? Or was someone making toast? Guess we'll never know, oh well, hope it wasn't about some kind of unfathomably big omniscient being toying with us like a cat.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

Also picard has a philosophical crisis about letting the autopilot take them out of the asteroid field (I have to assume it loving got them in there) and decides to do it himself with touch controls. I don't think whoever wrote that was very familiar with airliners

I take it you don't watch Air Disasters.

piratepilates posted:

I wonder if it's anything like the fire alarm in my building and half the time the bridge never makes an announcement after ending the red alert saying what it was about.

Did we almost burn up in a horrific fire? Or was someone making toast? Guess we'll never know, oh well, hope it wasn't about some kind of unfathomably big omniscient being toying with us like a cat.

They had the ship being more automated in early TNG like this but it made the crew look too passive and like a bunch of benchwarmers at their own jobs.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 6, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Most of the jobs on the Enterprise are probably just looking at a number on a readout once a day and typing that number into a space spreadsheet. Then you get to gently caress off to Ten Forward for space margaritas and have to listen to the traumatized Engineering and Bridge people talk about how they got Nagilumed again.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

data's super heavy?? although since he can inflate to float ehhhh i dunno

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Commander, they are not "implants", as my entire superficial polytissue structure is made from the same silicone based materials. Still, I thank you for calling them, "nice."

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Pick posted:

What is this from and why is data being played by nic cage

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Most of the jobs on the Enterprise are probably just looking at a number on a readout once a day and typing that number into a space spreadsheet. Then you get to gently caress off to Ten Forward for space margaritas and have to listen to the traumatized Engineering and Bridge people talk about how they got Nagilumed again.

Actually a lot of it, in theory, is hundreds of scientists tucked away in their own labs doing their own thing. I choose to assume there's like a season's worth of TNG "experiment gone wrong" plots occurring in small scale on a weekly basis throughout the ship.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Pick posted:

Trek comics are super goodbad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Pick posted:

Worf picked him up pretty easily in that Iconian episode but Worf's a Klingon.