Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think Data wouldn't weigh any not than a normal human, it's the future it's not like he's made of steel, it's probably mostly lightweight carbon fiber supermaterials. Is he even affected by magnets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

piratepilates posted:

I wonder if it's anything like the fire alarm in my building and half the time the bridge never makes an announcement after ending the red alert saying what it was about.

Did we almost burn up in a horrific fire? Or was someone making toast? Guess we'll never know, oh well, hope it wasn't about some kind of unfathomably big omniscient being toying with us like a cat.

babylon 5 did a whole episode from the perspective of a couple of grunt mechanics who have no idea what's going on and keep getting shot at and hosed with by telepaths and poo poo

it's pretty good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just noticed Maxfun donor feed has a new review from Greatest Generation for Galaxy Quest. Don't know if it will be any good but I'll report back if it slaps, baps, craps

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Worf picked him up pretty easily in that Iconian episode but Worf's a Klingon.

riker is riker

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Do you think "battle stations" for the daycare teachers are sheltering at home? Or do they arm themselves and guard the classroom against potential intruders?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Bucswabe posted:

Do you think "battle stations" for the daycare teachers are sheltering at home? Or do they arm themselves and guard the classroom against potential intruders?

You mean arm the kids and themselves.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Teleport the kids into the bulkheads for safekeeping.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Just as I posted that question I remembered that the Enterprise had no protocols for handling intruders, since the entire crew was defeated and sold into slavery by, like, six Ferengi that one time.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
About six months after Farpoint, the kids realized none of the adults were ever going to use the battle bridge again. So they just all go there and have a party when the ship is in trouble and the adults are sheltering. The teachers think the Starfleet side handles the kids during an alert, while the Starfleet side thinks the teachers handle them, so nobody ever notices. The kid who asked Picard for a tour of the battle bridge was actually making a sly joke.

They don't have any command codes, but someone did accidentally leave a console open with limited access to holodeck programming. Sometimes they play hilarious tricks on the crew like changing the "mood" setting on Geordi's Brahms construct from "professional" to "seductive" halfway through his simulation.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 6, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The General posted:

You mean arm the kids and themselves.

Yeah I imagine all kids on the Enterprise are relentlessly drilled to attack intruders like Japanese schoolchildren in 1945

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yeah I imagine all kids on the Enterprise are relentlessly drilled to attack intruders like Japanese schoolchildren in 1945

This would make an awesome school assignment! "Ok class, your homework for tonight is to come up with a creative way we could utilize the technology of the Enterprise to deal with a hostile boarding party"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

imagine people just transporting in right in front of you and poo poo

it would constantly be like a scene in a horror movie where a borg suddenly appears directly behind you

what a hellzone

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

My Lovely Horse posted:

I wonder how far the holodeck AI goes to accomodate your personality and flatter you. I always figure, like JOI in Blade Runner 2049, it's got to be hardwired to upsell you and your merits. Riker probably can't even play the trombone, the jazz club is just the 24rd century's version of Guitar Hero.

Riker is seen playing the trombone in his quarters and at Ten-Forward.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GolfHole posted:

it would constantly be like a scene in a horror movie where a borg suddenly appears directly behind you

what a hellzone

Nor the Battle to the Strong and The Siege of AR-558 make it pretty clear that full scale ground combat in star trek is a goddamn nightmare with all of the automated weaponry and transporter infiltrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

in his quarters and at Ten-Forward.
or are they

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

shovelbum posted:

riker is riker

And is fully skilled in carrying any and all types of life forms across the boudoir threshold effortlessly

Unless :thejoke:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

GolfHole posted:

what a hellzone

Any sort of ground combat in the future would be insane. We have to convienently forget that they have handheld weapons which can just disintegrate everything in front of them in a huge radius.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I just watched the scene from Rascals where Worf shoots at one of the Ferengi, and the guy just lazily ducks to avoid the continuous energy stream and then successfully shoots Worf. Has to be a top 5 Worf failure.

Why did Star Fleet even make the phasers shoot beams? No one ever does the smart thing of just waving it around until your enemies are sliced to pieces...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

hemale in pain posted:

Any sort of ground combat in the future would be insane. We have to convienently forget that they have handheld weapons which can just disintegrate everything in front of them in a huge radius.

This is honestly far from the biggest thing that has to be conveniently forgotten from stuff we've seen/know to be possible in Trek wrt to ground combat.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

This is honestly far from the biggest thing that has to be conveniently forgotten from stuff we've seen/know to be possible in Trek wrt to ground combat.

true, i watched the naked time recently and they casually accidentally time travel at the end of the episode just by restarting the engines. Federation should of used that one against the dominion.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Chomp8645 posted:

Like whomever can scoot a ship above a fortified position can obliterate it unless it has super-duper gigamegajoule shielding. You don't even have to hold the orbitals, just point and click with a full spread of photon torpedoes and bam!

If you hold the high orbitals, your ability to crack any nut is limited to the number of torpedoes you have in your stocks.

If the other guy doesn't have shields, a runabout can just fire its phasers through the atmosphere (cf. Enterprise and TOS) and wipe out huge swaths of land (along with everyone on them), again without needing to have space superiority.

Just put some phaser rifles on some dumbed-down non-sentient Exocomps and let them duke it out with Jem'Hadar cloaked mines. That's how ground combat should work, not by putting naval personnel on the front line.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

shovelbum posted:

riker is riker

Riker's power is that he can and WILL perform any task asked of him

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

hemale in pain posted:

true, i watched the naked time recently and they casually accidentally time travel at the end of the episode

you can barely walk from one room to another on any starfleet vessel without accidentally going back five million years in time, teleporting yourself into another dimension, injecting yourself with spacedrugs and fusing with another crewmember. Starfleet is just where they send all the insanely accident prone people

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

Riker's power is that he can and WILL perform any task asked of him

Also he's amazing at bjs

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pick posted:

Also he's amazing at bjs

Unlike Worf, who's amazing at bij

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Admiralty Flag posted:

Just put some phaser rifles on some dumbed-down non-sentient Exocomps and let them duke it out with Jem'Hadar cloaked mines. That's how ground combat should work, not by putting naval personnel on the front line.

That early TNG episode where they find the jungle planet with the holographic sales guy trying to sell them weapons; they tried to make it seem like the drones were some incredible new thing, but in reality that tech should be the easiest thing in the world for the Federation to make, and all Star Fleet security or ground warfare should just be swarms of hovering balls that shoot lasers.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pick posted:

Also he's amazing at bjs

Which means "beard jobs"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Data and Geordi keeping it TIGHT

Pick posted:

data's super heavy?? although since he can inflate to float ehhhh i dunno

I, too, remember when the part of Data was momentarily portrayed by David Schwimmer.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
end of ds9 season 2 and the dominion has begun taking hostile action against the...rest of the galaxy?

and frankly, its sucks. they're unbelievably op and master schemers, always a step ahead and able to counter all the tech that the rest of the galaxy uses.

i hate that kind of writing. ooooh, aren't the stakes so high now? no, its just boring tripe that shatters any illusions of continuity and coherence.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I have mixed thoughts about that. Before the Dominion, Star Trek shows generally gave Starfleet and the Federation the technological edge in interacting with existing civilizations, with the exception of a few one-off episodes (Organians, Balok, Kelvans) or cliff-hangers (Borg). The Dominion shook that up by introducing a constant presence in the show that was more advanced than the rest of the regular players in Star Trek. It raised the stakes, but it also introduced plotlines that forced the main characters to evaluate Federation ideals. It let writers tell stories about blood tests, biological warfare, alliances forged on deception, and the fear of war. Would our heroes uphold their ideals even if they led to their doom, or would they compromise them for a shot at survival. Those weren't stories that syndicated TOS could tell in depth, or that age of diplomacy TNG could explore. In that sense, I like the inclusion of the Dominion.

What I don't like about it is that the Dominion opened the door to the cynicism we see in current "prestige TV Star Trek." Those writers don't tell stories about a moral struggle between lofty ideals and hard choices because the outcome is already determined: they will take the easy road, no matter how grisly. The story is all about the moral descent. Full luxury gay space communism is impossible because it is maintained by a secret police with unlimited authority to act behind the scenes. Humanity cannot improve because they are by nature awful, selfish, cowardly, microbrained pieces of flotsam who should rightfully be quarantined and expunged by the Q Continuum. Any deviation from that mold is an exception, likely temporary, and by no means should be considered progress.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i don't mind some technological superiority, cuz i think that's already been present with things like romulans being able to cloak

i just hate when someone shows up and ignores things like shields; shooting or teleporting or walking, in the case of last episode, right through them. if that could be done so easily, surely someone else in the much larger, more populated areas of the galaxy would have already done it.

like, we know that technology develops better and faster when there are multiple competing interests and large populations. the various forces of the known galaxy have been competing, often violently, for generations. the dominion controls a much smaller segment of the known galaxy and it seems like they've been in control for a long time, not competing with anyone

it makes sense that the federation is strong and has a wealth of assets and influences to draw from: its the largest, most diverse sector of space.

anyway, i just hate it when its like "hi we've never met you but some how we completely understand all of your technology and have developed methods of defeating it that all the other hyped up bad guys of the week somehow failed to."

they can be superior, just do it in a more interesting way

(not to mention that the whole insanely contrived plot hinges on sisko taking his son camping at the spur of the moment. trash episode)

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I just noticed Maxfun donor feed has a new review from Greatest Generation for Galaxy Quest. Don't know if it will be any good but I'll report back if it slaps, baps, craps

I like this podcast BUT the way the one guy snuffle laughs drives me loving insane.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bogus Adventure posted:

Data and Geordi keeping it TIGHT
Why is Data dressed like a genie

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why is Data dressed like a genie

Because the Federation loving RULES

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

I, too, remember when the part of Data was momentarily portrayed by David Schwimmer.

That's clearly Nicholas Cage.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
The first introduction of The Dominion is "shields don't work, force field barriers don't work, teleportation to anywhere, even secure locations, all encompassing knowledge of everyone, and instant disappear/ you can't follow us tech." It's bad.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

That happens in voyager basically every other episode

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

The first introduction of The Dominion is "shields don't work, force field barriers don't work, teleportation to anywhere, even secure locations, all encompassing knowledge of everyone, and instant disappear/ you can't follow us tech." It's bad.

Yeah it's probably too much. Though at least they probably figured it out, because they walk it back in short order. For most of the series it's just implied the Dominion tech is pretty good, but still on the same playing field.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
why were the borg so horny for humanity anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I really want to give TOS a shot but I find the bridge ambience to be really hard on the ears (which is odd given that I like to watch emergency broadcast system videos for fun)