Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Remember when that Vegas fan had a tantrum because his team acquired Mark Stone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think the only one that got run off was that Anaheim ducks guy and that's because they were a jerk more than any specific argument

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Scaramouche posted:

I think the only one that got run off was that Anaheim ducks guy and that's because they were a jerk more than any specific argument

you’re forgetting about the thorn in Philadelphia managements side, evilwaldo

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

Does anyone remember any old hockey arguments that seem incredibly silly in retrospect.

I remember this thread really turning against a Canucks poster whose name I can't remember because of the Hodgson/Kassian deal. I mean, he was obviously right about Hodgson, but man, this deal seems to nothing in retrospect.

There's a ton of nothing players that Leafs fans have championed as a cause for a while that never went anywhere. I am pretty sure a lot of words were spent on Frank Corrado.

I remember on HFBoards that some users were arguing that Ovechkin WASN'T a Hall of Fame player after his 2nd Hart. Obviously, like, it had only been four seasons, so technically they were right that no other player with that resume had made the Hall. However, no other player with that resume retired after four seasons. It was a fun cycle of arguing.
HF just does that a lot. There were topics well into the mid 2010's where they'd say that Chara, Iginla, St.Louis, Thornton, etc were nowhere close to the HoF and needed to add a bunch to their resume.

A lot of Leafs fans tried to convince me that Matt Stajan was a better prospect than Spezza

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
my all time favorite hockey argument and possible internet argument in general happened on AOL in...I dunno, what must have been 1995 or so?

There was a pretty good young goalie for the Leafs named Felix Potvin. The Sabres had some goalie who was already on the wrong side of 30 named...I forget his name. Anyway at that point he'd put up a couple of pretty good seasons. But he was getting old, and the way he played was weird and European.

The argument was whether or not the Leafs should trade Potvin for this other goalie. The idea itself was funny enough, but it devolved into no-poo poo death threats and scheduled meetups for both fistfights and "who is the better goalie in real life" contests (note: I don't know if any of these actually occurred. Note 2: they did not).

It was like my introduction to pretty much every ridiculous internet argument trope all at once.

Who ended up being right about those goalies? Who can say definitively

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Before the Penguins won the back to back Cups and the Hawks fell probably most hockey people thought that Toews was outright a better player than Crosby, including believing things like if Toews wanted to he could score 100 points

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

HF just does that a lot. There were topics well into the mid 2010's where they'd say that Chara, Iginla, St.Louis, Thornton, etc were nowhere close to the HoF and needed to add a bunch to their resume.

A lot of Leafs fans tried to convince me that Matt Stajan was a better prospect than Spezza

I do remember the argument against St. Louis. It probably was before his second Art Ross, but it just seems ridiculous that we had to wait for him to hit the 1000-point mark to say, "okay, he's now a HHOF".

bewbies posted:

my all time favorite hockey argument and possible internet argument in general happened on AOL in...I dunno, what must have been 1995 or so?

There was a pretty good young goalie for the Leafs named Felix Potvin. The Sabres had some goalie who was already on the wrong side of 30 named...I forget his name. Anyway at that point he'd put up a couple of pretty good seasons. But he was getting old, and the way he played was weird and European.

The argument was whether or not the Leafs should trade Potvin for this other goalie. The idea itself was funny enough, but it devolved into no-poo poo death threats and scheduled meetups for both fistfights and "who is the better goalie in real life" contests (note: I don't know if any of these actually occurred. Note 2: they did not).

It was like my introduction to pretty much every ridiculous internet argument trope all at once.

Was the fist fight going to settle who was better?

And, glad to see that even in 1995, that people were still assuming every player over 30 is a washed up bum.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Before the Penguins won the back to back Cups and the Hawks fell probably most hockey people thought that Toews was outright a better player than Crosby, including believing things like if Toews wanted to he could score 100 points

This reminds me of that one glorious summer of "Giroux is better than Crosby."

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Remember when that Vegas fan had a tantrum because his team acquired Mark Stone?

He hasn't stopped!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Anyway the dumbest hill to die on of any poster here was the Habs fan who went all in on "the Randy Carlyle Leafs are actually good" and committed to this position so hard he ended up at the entirety of statistical analysis being a conspiracy by people who don't watch the games.

He left the forums after being banned in GBS for posting a death threat against Obama.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Oh my god, the arguments in favour of Toews are all coming back to me.

The last part reminds me of a similar argument when a good player on a bad team is thought of to be better than he is because "if he played for a good team -- he would get x amount of points". Jay Bouwmeester was this player for a while.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

bewbies posted:

Was the Buffalo goalie Daren Puppa?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

TITANKISSER69 posted:

Was the Buffalo goalie Daren Puppa?

That would be even funnier because it was Puppa who Potvin displaced in 93. (Incidentally Fuhr, who Potvin also displaced in 93, was also on the 94-95 Sabres.)

It was Hasek.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

bewbies posted:

Google has Usenet discussions from the 80's and 90's archived and I remember a good HF topic which went over some of the highlights.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/read-old-hockey-discussions-from-as-far-back-as-1981-google-groups.945411/

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I'm gonna argue that in fact Yzerman's offense did not decline because he decided to focus on being a two way player but because he got older and offense declines (and dead puck era) but he fooled enough people into thinking "oh sure he really COULD still put those points but chooses not to!"

I also hear he's a giant piece of poo poo as a person

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
In the 2005 draft Pierre McGuire said that Phil Kessel would go #1 over Crosby if he were eligible. A year before it was becoming trendy to say that Gilbert Brule was the better prospect than Crosby because he was playing in the WHL and was seen as tougher.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

My introduction to HFboards and by extension the larger internet hockey world was randomly stumbling on a giant flame war over whether Sabres superstar Miroslav Satan was poised to become one of the all time greats or not.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Well then, someone got screenshots of a chat where Brendan Leipsic and some other minor league hockey players says horrible things about women.
https://www.instagram.com/angelszeee2020/

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

bewbies posted:

Did they rent a barn?

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:

Cocaine Bear posted:

Did they rent a barn?

That should be the way internet hockey arguments get settled. Participants chip in to rent some ice, lace up, and duke it out over a fresh sheet.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
In 2004 it was super common to think that Scott Hannan was a budding superstar defenseman.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Levitate posted:

I also hear he's a giant piece of poo poo as a person

Spill it :munch:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ZuluDashOne posted:

That should be the way internet hockey arguments get settled. Participants chip in to rent some ice, lace up, and duke it out over a fresh sheet.

You're new here but we simplified that to be "whichever I'd the posters can skate backwards better"

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ZuluDashOne posted:

How've you been, Brian?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
It looks like the worst takes online belong to Brendan Leipsic, according to Twitter.

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:

Cocaine Bear posted:

How've you been, Brian?

Brian?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Someone else will explain.

The real worst hot take was and always will be Hot Brains.

Fake edit: gently caress, I forgot about the pens gyroscope thing that killed Crosby for a year. Man, sports people can be real smart boys sometimes.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric Francis has written numerous articles about how the Flames won the Lucic trade or that its up for debate.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Eric Francis has written numerous articles about how the Flames won the Lucic trade or that its up for debate.

but it kind of is

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Brian Burke tried to arrange a fight with Kevin Lowe at a rented barn, Bettman had to veto it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Both Neal and Lucic are bad but Lucic has a lower cap hit.

Calgary will win in the end. Edmonton is winning for now I guess, even though half his goals were in October and he had none in the parts of 2020 that had been played.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

AsInHowe posted:

It looks like the worst takes online belong to Brendan Leipsic, according to Twitter.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure he’s done in the NHL now. He was already a healthy scratch and now he’s been caught saying horrible poo poo about women and minorities, also about teammates which in the grand scheme of things is far less important, but is the bit that will probably keep him from getting a new gig after he does whatever bullshit PR rehab I’m sure he’ll try.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Neal can get bought out, Lucic cannot and he has to be protected in the expansion draft as of now.

Like they both suck rear end at the actual hockey stuff but you can get out of one of those contracts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lucic can be bought out. If done this offseason it does make for 3 pricy years (though still lower than his cap hit), but then 3 very cheap ones.

Plus Edmonton gets hit with about $600k for 3 of those years if they buy him out.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They can't even fill the roster spot with the cap savings in two of those seasons.

Of course he can technically be bought out. Every player can be. The question is whether or not it is worth it to do so. One way or another Lucic is a big ol cap hit for the Flames for the next 3 seasons. Neal can be bought out and leave the Oilers with a roughly 2 million dollar cap hit. Its not even close for which contract a team should want on the books.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 7, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/canucksedins/status/1258138831259176960?s=20

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1258162726851039232?s=20

:frogout:

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 7, 2020

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Drunk Canuck posted:

Well then, someone got screenshots of a chat where Brendan Leipsic and some other minor league hockey players says horrible things about women.
https://www.instagram.com/angelszeee2020/

Gone...

Quick rundown of what he said

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I have zero recollection of the Caps signing Leipsic.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’ll have zero recollection of him getting dropped whenever hockey starts back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1258190574055817216